[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Faramir a best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 482x664) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 482x664
Faramir a best
>>
>>63335270
>he got tempted by the ring in the film
HAAAAACCCKKKKSSSSSSOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNN
>>
>>63335303
>implying that wasn't a good change
there's zero conflict in that chapter, how would that translate to the screen exactly?
>>
File: tips.jpg (61 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
61 KB, 500x625
>>63335303
It made no sense for him not to be tempted by the ring in the book. Faramir was a shitty Mary Sue character and Hackson's changes for Faramir were a huge improvement.
>>
>>63335338
a good post with a fitting image
>>
>>63335329
>>63335338
but I liked book Faramir
>>
>he marries best girl
BASED TOLKIEN
>>
>>63335303
It was an improvement and added conflict. Faramir is literally a Mary Sue.
>>
Probably the most beta guy in the trilogy
>>
>>63335386
he was shit m8
>>
>>63335329
Why the fuck wouldn't it? Galadriel resisted it, Aragorn resisted it. Faramir resisted it (book), Faramir went a whole step further, he was able to see that Frodo had the ring. From no information other than there is a Hobbit in a strange land, for a Hobbit, and the Hobbit won't tell him what he is doing.

He is able to deduce and resist the ring in the same encounter.
>>
>>63335400
>Best girl
>One of three remaining of royal family
>Other two have been trained at war from birth
>They go of to fight, leaving her the very important task of leading her people and protecting them

"I-i can fight, i-i'm a strong womyn"

EOWYN FUCKING SUCKS
>>
>>63335428

>won the heart of qt badass shieldmaiden
>beta
>>
Who is faramir?
>>
>>63335428
He was beyond such meaningless labels.

He was always about Gondor.
>>
>>63335470
Shes the type of bitch who wouldn't shut up about killing Witch King of Angmar
>>
>>63335510
>implying you wouldn't lick the asshole of the woman who killed the Witch-King of Angmar
>>
>>63335467
Spending that whole section just talking to some guy while he refreshes and then just leaves with no problem would be very weak. With Faramir being tempted by the ring and being reluctant to let Frodo leave by being more of a villanous character adds conflict and drama, giving Frodo an arc in The Two Towers. I don't see it working with him just sitting down and talking to Faramir about things with little importance, there's needs to be some tension there.
>>
>>63335467
>Galadriel resisted it

Only because she knew the consequences of her getting her hands on the ring, she was no doubt still tempted by its power.
>>
>>63335523
>needing an arc

literal plen
>>
>>63335523
>just leaves with no problem would be very weak.
He doesn't though. He is only allowed one year in his lands. After that Frodo was free game for Faramir and his men.

> With Faramir being tempted by the ring and being reluctant to let Frodo leave by being more of a villanous character adds conflict and drama
That's not the case at all, since he has good intentions, he is essentially Boromir 2.0. It's not villainous, it's plain stupid.

>I don't see it working with him just sitting down and talking to Faramir about things with little importance
What? It's literally the whole plot of the movie, Frodo trying to get the ring somewhere, he may not be able too because there is this man who knows what is going on, even though Frodo has said nothing.

>there's needs to be some tension there.
It wouldn't be high action, like the Osgiliath scene. But to say there is no tension is just retarded. Oh wait, not really since they turned a wizards battle of words into a physical battle of magic. So yeah, I guess it fits well with you.
>>
>>63335568
>Only because she knew the consequences of her getting her hands on the ring, she was no doubt still tempted by its power.

This isn't some hidden knowledge only known by the elves.
>>
>>63335470
>not being the one that does the chores and marrying a dominant woman
faggot
>>
>>63335470
I'll just assume this is b8.
>>
File: 1363555851949.jpg (23 KB, 447x329) Image search: [Google]
1363555851949.jpg
23 KB, 447x329
>>63335591
How is it plain stupid? Before the changes, this was just a breather section in the books where Frodo gets to be updated a bit with the outside world and get refreshed and then again be on his way. That works well in the books since it's just that, a breather section before really hitting the hard stuff with the stairs and sheelob.
Faramir is not hostile in any way in the books. The one year thing is just mentioned in passing, there really is no noteworthy tention there. Having Faramir be tempted by the ring, but then ultimately proving himself to be Boromir 2.0 as you yourself said is a far clearer way to show that as well. Please explain to me how it is retarded and not a smart change.
>>
>>63335573
>needing an arc
it helps when adapting an epic adventure story split into three parts, yes.
>>
>>63335778
Its litterally what happens you faggot, she abandons her people just so she can go fight

fuck you
>>
>>63335812
>reducing a character who is canonically in line with Aragorn, blood-wise, to a character with daddy issues
>not a retarded change

Really?

Because now he is no longer a misused man who lets himself be willingly abused for the good of Gondor and his father, he is now a man who wants to please his daddy so he can be like Boromir.

You are yet to explain how it is a good change, I mean yeah sure it works with Peter Jacksons movie, but that is only Lord of the Rings in name, it's not canon and this is why. Here is some canon.

>He is not as other men of this time…by some chance the blood of Westernesse runs nearly true in him, as it does in his other son, Faramir, and yet did not in Boromir. He has long sight. He can perceive, if he bends his will thither, much of what is passing in the minds of men, even of those that dwell far off. It is difficult to deceive him, and dangerous to try.

Faramir was one of the best men, he should have been in the Fellowship, changes like these are why the Tolkien estate hate these movies, they downgrade anything worth note and turn it into simple action schlock. You can't have that Osgiliath scene if you stay true to the books, no Osgiliath scene = less action = less viewers.

There is no use trying to argue, it was a shit change for a shit adaptation.
>>
File: maxresdefault.png (132 KB, 1768x727) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.png
132 KB, 1768x727
>>63335270
>>
nigga needs to go back to 300

i saw him in 300 and van helsing before LOTR so i can never ever take the character seriously
>>
>>63335935
Christopher pls
>>
after rotk, did faramir stay in gondor with aeowyn? or did he go back to rohan with her?
>>
>>63335949
>#handsupdontcast
kek
>>
>>63336065
They settled in Ithilien, the lands Faramir defended.

Eomer took Rohan and was bro's with Aragorn.
>>
>>63336083
very cool ty
>>
>>63335935
>he is now a man who wants to please his daddy so he can be like Boromir.
Yes, that's the thing here, he WANTS that, but in the end he proves to be a better man and rejects it, showing that he is the better man you describe.
Saying that it's a retarded change over and over and saying it can't be argued won't help you here.
>>
>>63336146
>Yes, that's the thing here, he WANTS that, but in the end he proves to be a better man and rejects it

Out of necessity. They get rekt in Osgiliath, they HAVE to send Frodo on his way, or lose it all.

>showing that he is the better man you describe.
No? It's explicitly different.

>deduction and resits
same as
>let's take you home
>oh shit we are fucked, leave
How?

>Saying that it's a retarded change over and over and saying it can't be argued won't help you here.

You literally only touched one point in my whole post. You haven't got much, I don't even know why you are still going?
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 291x283) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 291x283
>>63335428
Nah.
>>
>Don't tempt me Frodo!
>>
>>63336196
I never saw it as a necessity, I saw it as Faramir realizing the right thing to do morally. How you can interpret that any differently I don't know, but if we can't even agree on that there's no point to this discussion.
>>
>>63336455
>I saw it as Faramir realizing the right thing to do morally.

This is exactly the god dam point. Faramir was only able to see the right thing to do (in the movie) when presented with insurmountable odds (fel beast and Nazgul). It is no way near the fucking same as discovering the right thing to do when being blatantly lied too, and still doing the right fucking thing.

I have no idea how you even think they are the same, thanks for conceding, idiot.
>>
>>63335521
I would absolutely lick her, or any other woman from LotR's asshole, but she didn't kill the Witch King.
>>
>>63336584
all I've been arguing is that there's conflict in the way the movies present it
>as discovering the right thing to do when being blatantly lied too, and still doing the right fucking thing.
and this adds no conflict, it's just Faramir being a good guy and sending Frodo on his way, as I said, it would be a breather section, that's not what the movie needed.
>>
>>63336837
I thought you were done, thanks for reiterating the exact same ting which I have been refuting the whole time, great job!
>>
>>63336927
it's okay to be wrong anon, all i said is that the movie needed conflict and you were trying to argue with me that faramir sitting around being a 100% good guy would be better and that the movie changes were "retarded" and then gave no reason as to why they were other than that they differed from the source material.
>>
>>63335483

every time that couple gets in a fight, she'll be like "I killed the witch king, what were you doing during the battle of gondor?"

and he'll have to stfu
>>
>>63335498
losing battles for gondor
>>
>>63337512
actually the manlet killed the witch king but whatever
>>
File: 1393066504990.jpg (147 KB, 821x1331) Image search: [Google]
1393066504990.jpg
147 KB, 821x1331
http://www.allthelyrics.com/lyrics/billy_boyd/edge_of_night-lyrics-1127083.html#ixzz3tRPZo56h

Home is behind
The world ahead
There are many paths to tread
Through shadow
To the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall... fade
>>
>>63337655
>http://www.allthelyrics.com/lyrics/billy_boyd/edge_of_night-lyrics-1127083.html#ixzz3tRPZo56h
Fucking piece of shit website didn't even realize it added t link in there
>>
>>63335270
Am I supposed to remember this guy?
>>
If i were the dad I'll hate him too
>>
>>63333333
>>
>>63335949
Aragorn's family tree is pretty incestuous
>>
LOOKS
>>
>>63335270

what season was he in? i dont remember
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.