[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good movies about the french revolution?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: france kills.jpg (108 KB, 590x421) Image search: [Google]
france kills.jpg
108 KB, 590x421
What are some good movies about the french revolution?
>>
>>63335262

I did an Essay at Uni about the French Revolution in film. Here's the best ones.

Ridicule
Darnton

And don't go anywhere near that shit Sofia Coppola film.
>>
>>63335849
>And don't go anywhere near that shit Sofia Coppola
Not interested in any biographies of kings or queens, just movies about the revolution itself and the reign of terror. Their does not seem to be many
>>
File: slap her.jpg (112 KB, 500x701) Image search: [Google]
slap her.jpg
112 KB, 500x701
>>
>>63335262
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_R%C3%A9volution_fran%C3%A7aise_%28film%29
>>
>>63336485
this seems pretty good, thank you
>>
File: abel glance.jpg (105 KB, 900x930) Image search: [Google]
abel glance.jpg
105 KB, 900x930
>>63335849

A shame you're a pleb and never watched the best one, of course you are/were in uni so shouldn't expect very much from you at the moment.
>>
>>63335849
>did an essay about French revolution
>can't type Danton correctly
desu senpai
>>
>>63336485
wow theres alot of people in that
>>
>American here
One Night in Varennes
>>
>>63335849
>Danton
>muh Danton dindu nuffin'
>muh pacifist champion of the people
He was an embezzling pig and doing away with him was in accordance with the ideals of the revolution. What he did might have been fucked but Robespierre was the only one with the integrity to enforce what the revolution meant no matter the cost.

It's impossible to make a movie about the French Revolution. People are better off making up their own stories and just using the setting than trying to tell the history, even now it's way too politicized to get straight. Any movie about the revolution will be about its contemporary politics pretty much without exception.
>>
>>63336485
This actually looks interesting, can anybody vouch for it not being shit?
>>
>>63338671
Ive been watching it on youtube, its pretty good. Very long though
>>
>>63338779
Groovy, I've been considering studying French so it might work well with that.
>>
>>63338645
>It's impossible to make a movie about the French Revolution
Not really, Its not much different from the Russian Revolution
>>
>>63338881
You can't make Russian Revolution movies either, it's always "muh Lenin dindu nuffin' Stalin broke the universe we'd have utopia by now", or "muh Trotsky was the true Bolshevik" or "muh Tsar was a tragic figure too good for this world". Too much politics.

I know about Eisenstein's work and I recognize its technical quality and historical value. Good movies but awful movies about the revolution. He made propaganda, but he was an artist at the same time. His work is pretty and has value, but it's not what I think when I imagine a good movie about the revolution. It's the Bolsheviks using him to jerk themselves off.

I've been meaning to watch The White Guard as I'm a fan of Bulgakov, maybe that's what I'm looking for.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.