[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: dr-manhatten.jpg (26 KB, 456x248) Image search: [Google]
dr-manhatten.jpg
26 KB, 456x248
What went wrong?
>>
Comic book readers are autistic
>>
>>63328142
You spelled artistic incorrectly.
>>
Nothing
>>
>>63328058
Nothing, it was a good movie.
>>
>>63328058
VIETNAM FUCKING SHITS
>>
>>63328058

Watchmen is crap.
>>
>Been to /tv/ 3 times this week, tuesday being my first time
>this exact thread has been posted every single time, but with a different picture

For what reason?
>>
They should have toned back the soundtrack a bit. No, illiterate faggot reading this, I'm talking about volume, not fidelity to the source material.
>>
It's the best adaptation of watchmen we ever could have hoped for, for better or worse
>>
They cut the best scene out for time.
>>
He got trapped in that chamber
>>
you know this movie is bad because i liked it.

i also liked chronicles of riddick and think QoS is the best bond movies
>>
File: 1447463215885.jpg (25 KB, 338x247) Image search: [Google]
1447463215885.jpg
25 KB, 338x247
>>63328612
>those slow, limp punches
>those cheap special effects
>those retard cut angles

>DC hitched their wagon to this man's star
>>
I know this is a meme thread, but a large undercurrent in the graphic novel is the fear of an apocalyptic war just on the horizon; the imminent threat of nuclear war is probably not something modern audiences can understand. When the newsstand guy reads that Russians have sent tanks into Afghanistan, he legitimately thinks life as he knows it is over.

AND, the main characters are meant to explore Americans' relationships with their icons, and how this superstition relates to that Cold War fear and paranoia. None of this is present in the movie. It can very much be said to have missed the point.

Also the revised ending makes no sense because Dr. Manhattan is a fundamentally American figure. He fought in Vietnam, for Gods sake. What if Superman built power plants that all of a sudden destroyed half your city and your entire family? You'd hate Kryptonians and love your fellow man all of a sudden? No, you'd hate the United States. The alien ending is silly but at least it suits the tone of the novel.
>>
>>63328717
>What if Superman built power plants that all of a sudden destroyed half your city and your entire family? You'd hate Kryptonians and love your fellow man all of a sudden? No, you'd hate the United States
Why would I hate the country if Superman isn't from there?
>>
they made poor decisions in when to stick strict to the novel and when to diverge. the screwed the pacing by sticking to the script and screwed up the story by rewriting, particularly the ending, for general audiences.

also, the soundtrack was cringeworthy. as was the sex scene. the sex scene was one of the worst things i've ever seen directed.
>>
File: 1448780132677.png (79 KB, 251x304) Image search: [Google]
1448780132677.png
79 KB, 251x304
They hired Zack Snyder
>>
>>63328762
Truth, Justice and the American Way, man. Superman is an American icon, in our universe and in his.
>>
>>63328706

it's actually a very good scene senpai

try watching it with sound
>>
>>63328717

agreed, the movies ok, (way better than nolan) but there were problems, this among them
>>
>>63328777
this
>>
Nothing. Best comic book movie.
>>
File: 1365277078445.jpg (183 KB, 994x759) Image search: [Google]
1365277078445.jpg
183 KB, 994x759
>>63328558

this tbqf famalam
>>
>>63328777
Snyder was the only reason it got made as faithfully as it did or at all. He had to argue a ton for it to be made in the way that it was, the studios wanted to go way off the rails with it. He is a shit director now but I will always be grateful for that movie if nothing else.
>>
>>63328612
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQEutPGTzCs
>>
the only comic I've read is Y the last man.
>>
>>63328558
I miss this meme.
>>
>What went wrong?

You mean in the context of that time period?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrt6msZmU7Y
>>
BIG
BLUE
COCK
>>
>>63328612
The Watchmen comic didn't need any of that shit.

It had like a dozen panels or two of action in the whole series and it was great.
>>
>>63328717
No, all that stuff was in there. The problem with the movie was that it hewed TOO close to the book. Just like the comic, no one is really a hero; it's debatable whether anyone is redeemable at all. Intellectually, it's easy to see the Cold War themes, but the problem is that the audience (at least people of my age and younger) didn't have the experience to appreciate that perspective. Instead of it being a cathartic echo of an era that we were really glad for surviving, it felt like something new and terrifying in its bleakness.
>>
>>63329332
And yet he turned it into an action movie
>>
Very Little. Great Movie.
>>
>>63328058
great movie
fuck the haters
>>
>>63328058
limited running time.

would have been better as a mini series for HBO. Still decent.
>>
>>63328058
Dr Manhattan makes the rest of the characters irrelevant
>>
>>63328058
The director.
>>
Zach Snyder. He's one of the worst directors in hollywood. His films suck. Alos adapting a work of Alan Moore's is not a great idea it's doomed to fail. That said Watchmen and Killing Joke are brilliant
>>
>>63331649

To me, the beefed up action sequences seem like studio notes more than something Snyder wanted to do.
>>
>>63332674

And Dr. Manhattan's blossoming indifference renders HIM irrelevant.
>>
File: 1428271358450.jpg (138 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1428271358450.jpg
138 KB, 500x500
>>63328058
BACKGROUND MUSIC FOR THE THREAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRuH6pt0ytA
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.