[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why would anyone recommend this movie? I'm partway through
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5
Why would anyone recommend this movie? I'm partway through it and it's complete shit. I dare you to name one good thing about it.
>>
>>63317699

The ending
>>
>>63317699
The ending where he kills his family only for the military to show up half a mile up clearing the mist was pretty good. A lot better than the book
>>
i hope you're watching director's cut (black n white)
>>
>>63317783
I'm watching the version they released on the ColecoVision
>>
File: Queeg.jpg (6 KB, 168x168) Image search: [Google]
Queeg.jpg
6 KB, 168x168
>>63317699
Because it's set in the Half-life universe during the resonance cascade.
>>
>>63318046
>There will never be a Half-Life movie trilogy
>There will never be a HL3
>Valve will always be the standard digital distributor
>>
>>63317742
>>63317755
Just finished it and I have to say that the ending was shit too.
>>
Some of the monster designs are pretty cool, and it felt great when that religious lady got smacked upside the head by that can of peas
The rest of it though? Meh.
>>
I fucking love it. I have a thing for Lovecraftian mystery horror rather than Doom style shootfests
>>
>>63318490
Do you also have a thing for movies with basically no plot?
>>
>>63317699
Its pretty gud.
>>
>>63317699

I actually think the first half is pretty solid but the movie has a pretty bad last stretch. And am I alone in finding that famous ending sequence one of the most unintentionally hilarious scenes ever? Just such absurdly over-the-top acting
>>
>>63318793
Would have been better had he broken down, then gotten eaten by a monster, then the military rolled out.
>>
>>63317699
The giant monster at the end.
>>
>>63318686
yes. Locke is in my top 10 of all time. I don't need a lot happening, I just want it to be thrilling and memorable
>>
>>63318856
So like those Doom style shootfests

ok
>>
>>63319035
dude... what? Shootfests are the definition of "too much happening"

I just gave you an example of a movie that's pretty much as distant as you can get from that
>>
>>63319072
sure thing bro
>>
>>63318686
>basically no plot
the fuck

did you actually see this movie?
>>
>>63318856
I've never understood the concept of faggots proclaiming a movie that just came out to be in their top 10 or whatever of all time. It's been less than a year fuckboi, how about you give it a little time to sink in and see how it holds up to rewatches before re-laminating your top 10 card.
>>
>>63319108
yeah, but I skipped a bunch of the middle because they were just trying to light things on fire and screaming

it was basically mist comes people die mist leaves and guy screams a lot
>>
>>63317699
It's a great movie, you just need more spoon feeding.
>>
>>63319140
so you're trolling. Say no more.
>>
i mainly just like it for the ending where it turns out the crazy religious lady was right and the mist needed a sacrifice and once he sacrificed his family it lifted
>>
>>63319163
no I am completely serious
>>
>>63319132
why should I judge movies based on rewatch value, especially ones that rely on a big plot twist that are bound to have a diminished effect on subsequent viewings?
>>
>>63317699

This is literally the only decent horror Stephen King adaptation. Also makes for a great lovecraftian film, of which there are too few. Excellent performances, script, decent FX for the budget, looks killer in black and white, perfect ending, retard OP BTFO
>>
>>63319243
But Steven King is shit. Every movie or book is just some black woman in louisiana
>>
>>63319272
a lot of what he writes is shit. Some of his stuff is pure gold, especially the older novels. Stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>63319313
At least I didn't read a bunch of shit from the same guy trying to find the gold nugget.
>>
>>63319272

> Every movie or book is just some black woman in louisiana

as someone who doesn't think King is a good writer but also not a terrible writer I'm curious as to whether you're trolling or you're confusing King with someone else
>>
>>63319272
>just some black woman in louisiana
actually a significant number of his works feature New England where he spent most of his childhood and most of his protagonists are men
>>
What the fuck do you want OP? Nobody is going to change your opinion if you've already made up your mind

Why even bother? You're not going to even get a good "debate" out of this, either watch the damn movie or don't.
>>
>>63319377
90% of his shit devolves into voodoo bayou magic
>>
>>63319349
oh I know you don't read we already established that
>>
>>63319213
Locke doesn't have any big plot twist. It has a slowly paced reveal of what's going on in the guy's life and we know everything we need to know about by the 30 minute mark or so. Beyond that, you're essentially saying that even a film with a major twist- which Locke is definitely not- should only be taken on the merit of a single plot point, and not the integrity of the story and script, the performances, cinematography, or any of the other countless things that go into making a movie. You're an idiot.
>>
>>63319429
I wasn't talking about Locke, this thread is about Mist. Keep up moron. And yes Mist relies on the plot twist even if the thriller aspect is well made throughout.
>>
>>63319477
oh so you admit that it's a well made thriller?

BTFO by your own bullshit, weak troll
>>
>>63319528
yes I do because I'm not OP. Was that not clear? I like Mist.

Jesus man you need help
>>
>>63318856
Watch "The man from earth"
>>
>>63319477

>>63318856
>>63318856
>>63318856
>yes. Locke is in my top 10 of all time.
>yes. Locke is in my top 10 of all time.

NEXT
>>
>>63319600
next what?
>>
File: 2000px-Gadsden_flag.svg.png (214 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Gadsden_flag.svg.png
214 KB, 2000x1333
>>63319404
tfw live in louisiana and love steven king
although louisiana is nothing like movies and tv make it out to be, everyone here is angry niggers and coalburning white women that wont date white guys (wish I was memeing but i aint)
tfw never had a gf because im white. Im not even ugly, I shave, shower regularly, short hair, arent fat, but not a skeleton
but yeah louisiana? a shithole with garbage and trash everywhere, almost every neigborhood is a ghetto and every town has like 3 things, popeyes, raising canes chicken fingers (which is god-tier tho) and mcdonalds
Ive never had five guys, arbys, anything like that
i wish i lived somehwere else
>>
>>63319272
No, every book is about an artist/writer from Maine.
>>
>>63319625
That's memer talk for
"I do not like your post very much"
>>
some of the store scenes and dialogue are a bit hammy, but the monsters are awesome, especially the way they get gradually more menacing as it goes on. plus the final monster scene is terrifyingly beautiful
>>
>>63319272
The langoliers was great.
>>
>>63319654
>i wish i lived somehwere else
you shouldnt have much trouble moving, unless you're garbage yourself
>>
>>63317699
Some people have a hard on for the simplistic social commentary, and anyone who thinks it's poorly acted, poorly written shit just doesn't get it.
>>
>>63319722
nah i just dont have much money
not everyone can just get like 50,000 dollars and buy a new house and storage trucks ect
>>
>>63319654
Where are you from in LA? I'm in AL, and the two states share a lot of culture near the gulf coast. There are areas that are exactly like what is portrayed.
>>
>>63317755
I actually kind of disliked it.

I don't get why they did it straight off the bat and didn't wait around for a while.
>>
>>63319757
I've spent a lot of time in Savannah over the past year, you must be a total sperg because I'm a skinnyfat white nerd with a jewfro and nailed several qt white chicks. Rest of the state can get nuked though, right about that.
>>
>>63319625
BTFO
>>
>>63319768
I live like 10 miles from new orleans, st charles parish
luling
>>
>>63317699

Bruh. The Mist is a study of the regression of civilization on small town Americana amidst apocalyptic circumstances. It uses minimal dialogue and slow progression of character actions to display the weakness of the human spirit when faced with things beyond its understanding. It is a modern examination of Lovecraftian concepts - something that has never been done effectively on film otherwise.

Despite the flaws, it is an exceptional horror film. It has fantastic characters that fit very classic tropes which see scant use in modern horror. It has excellent cinematography and utilizes the elements of the short story very well to convey the absolute terror of being in the scenario.

Not liking The Mist is pleb as fuck.
>>
File: 1443209270918.jpg (65 KB, 310x400) Image search: [Google]
1443209270918.jpg
65 KB, 310x400
>>63317755
So Satisfying.
>>
Yea I don't understand it either

Thread after thread of praise so I decided to watch it during Halloween time to get spooked. Instead I got a bunch of C-Z list actors who couldn't act their way out of a plastic bag. Every character was this silly extreme, for example those hicks in the power generator scene, the entirety of the crazy lady scenes. Then there's the "social commentary" about the breakdown of society but it's just so simplistic and hamfisted thanks to, again, the extremity of the situations and characters.
Only tense scene was the hunt party to the clinic I think it was, because it played on my arachnophobia. Other than that I swear it was a comedy. Retards acting stupid then getting killed, that random guy who tries doing the torch thing but runs around like a headless chicken and catches himself on fire, that bit with the rope and all they fish out is the guys legs, the ending where he shoots everyone immediately, the army dudes ignoring him until the two hazmat guys come up behind him confused and shrugging, the chick who went to get her kids just giving him the look of shame as she gets driven away
comedy gold
>>
>>63317699
>I dare you to name one good thing about it.

The religious woman.
>>
>>63317699
>partway through

At least marathon it to two thirds, although i recommend binge watching in in its entirety.
>>
>>63319814
you mean wait around for a while for the goolies to break into their car and kill them all?
>>
>>63317699
The entire movie should have been about her,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHzrDTt4_4g
http://stephenkingsthemist.wikia.com/wiki/Unnamed_Mother

I'm betting she did some epic Ripley type shit.
>>
>>63318046
Oh shit, you are right, fuck now i will watch it again and like it this time
>>
>>63317699

It's really shit. There are a few good parts like the dude with spidereggs in his body. The ending is also superb.

Everything else is shit.
>>
>>63321597
dude you dont know how it feels to be in the mist, hindsight is 20/20
>>
>>63319814
>>63324854
I think this would have been more believable if the terror had been more palpitate i.e., some horrifically grizzly, unthinkable/expected deaths. When they see the huge monster just before the shooting its more like a Sam Neil sees the Brontosaurus moment in Jurassic Park. It doesn't really inspire me to murder-suicide, in fact, its pretty awesome and the monster seems uninterested in them. Maybe if some lolis were brutally raep n snuff'd by the mist tentacles it would have been more believable. The spider thingys killing the other exiles in the parking lot just didn't build the horror enough.
>>
>>63321597
>plastic bag
Plastic bags are deadly, they kill thousands of people and animals every year and fuck up the enviroment. I'd like to see you escape from a giant plastic bag without a sharp object. You better watch what kind of bags you talk shit about, friendo.
>>
>>63325519
Inhale the wall of the bag into your mouth and start chewing.
>>
>>63317755
I kekd pretty hard at the end desu
>>
>>63318793
Agreed. I couldn't help but laugh when he started that retard scream.

>NNNNNNYYYYYEEEEAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH
>>
File: 13bear.jpg (126 KB, 677x720) Image search: [Google]
13bear.jpg
126 KB, 677x720
>>63317699
>partway through

fuck you you stupid faggot
>>
>>63319176
And the lady that ran off in the beginning ended up surviving (she's on the truck of refugees, holding her kids).

Anyone who tried being remotely pragmatic ended up being killed (with the exception of crazy christian lady).
>>
Reading many of the posts in this thread, I can see that some people just have no imagination, or put no effort whatsoever into immersing themselves in what they're watching. Everything takes effort, guys. Even enjoying passive entertainment.
>>
>>63325666
>666
Hold up, satan!
>>
>>63318292
>>63317742

I've found that a good litmus test for whether someone is pleb or patrician is their opinion of the ending of the mist.

Answer: Its not good
>>
>>63329024
>I've found that a good litmus test for whether someone is pleb or patrician is their opinion of this post.

Answer: Its not good
>>
>>63317699
it's got some creepy critters in it man. It's pretty cool actually.
>>
>>63320023
My nigga
>>
>>63325425
>Skull spiders everywhere
>They fill you with eggs and hang you up while you're alive
>The skull babies crawl out of your still living body
>There are tentacles that cleave flesh attached to everything
>Monsters regularly just snap people in half
>The giant thing was covered in tentacles and also pterodactyls

You have to keep in mind this guy has just seen the worst of humanity and saw his wife dead just seconds before. He drove by a bus filled with dead children - IE, the future of his son if he didn't mercifully kill him.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.