[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: god-tier documentaries/educational films
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: blackfish.jpg (70 KB, 486x720) Image search: [Google]
blackfish.jpg
70 KB, 486x720
ITT: god-tier documentaries/educational films
>>
terms and conditions may apply

frontline wikileaks
>>
lol Blackfish was fake as fuck.
>>
Dear Zachary
>>
>>63294976
proof bre
>>
>god tier documentary
>fake shit about a non-issue that affects literally nobody
>>
Waltz with Bashir
Grizzly Man
Man On Wire
Grey Gardens
>>
>>63294976
>>63295063
Go away Sea World.
>>
>>63295012

No man, that was fucking creepy, it scared me for life
>>
>>63294884
african-american fish*
ftfy
>>
>>63295012
fuck that was so good dude i hate it so much
>>
>>63294884
>>
>>63294884
>blackfish
>is black and white
>also not a fish
>>
>>63295059
>>63295168
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5GZuPL59mU
>>
>>63294976
>>63295063
People say this is fake?
I mean I hate PETA and everything but are you guys serious?
>>
>>63295637

I have no reason to even watch what you posted. There is no argument that can be made against the fact that you're containing an animal that has an effective habitable range of the oceans in a space far (far far far far) smaller.

There are many other objective problems that you cannot deny -- what I stated is just the easiest to bring up.
>>
>>63295737
He is wrong about it being fake, but is right about it affecting nobody. Like, what impact does it have on your life? Doesn't even have an environmental impact since they get their whales from breeding now.
>>
>>63295675
It has been pretty conclusively proven to be full of shit. But all politically oriented documentaries are, it is a great format for spewing bullshit and having people believe it because nobody cares about sources.
>>
>>63294976
>>63295059
>>63295063
>>63295168
>>63295357
>>63295447
>>63295637
>>63295675
>>63295737
>>63295904
>>63295970
https://da15bdaf715461308003-0c725c907c2d637068751776aeee5fbf.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/adf36e5c35b842f5ae4e2322841e8933_4-4-14-updated-final-of-blacklist-list-of-inaccuracies-and-misleading-points.pdf
>>
>>63294884
Been meaning to watch this, how is it?
>>
>>63296095 ---> >>63296008
>>
>>63296095
its fake
>>
>>63294884
Yeah OP I sure do love bullshit propaganda
>>
>>63296008

So how big are the tanks that the orcas live in? Is it the size of the pacific ocean? How about half the size of the pacific ocean? How about the length of British Columbia's coastline -- similar in size to that? How about a few kilometers squared -- any tanks that big?
>>
>>63295904
I know what you mean. There is no immediate, direct effects that pain me from knowing that what is shown in blackfish is true.

But just because something doesn't directly affect you does not mean that it is wrong, or that you should not care.

And to be honest, I think you're being extremely naive and myopic if you are unable to see any tangible impacts that keeping animals in shitty states can have on society.
>>
>>63294884
blackfish is so low budget. the cove is a similar one but higher budget and much better
>>
>>63294884
Why do normies love talking bout this shit
>>
Deep Water
Grizzly Man
The Thin Blue Line
Touching the Void
Fog of War
Hearts and Minds
Blackfish
West of Memphis
Paradise Lost
Closer to the Edge
Style Wars
Taxi to the Dark Side
Louis Theroux (series)
The Power of Nightmares
Inside Job
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Searching for Sugar Man
Food Inc.
In the Shadow of the Moon
The Corporation
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
This Film is Not Yet Rated
The Act of Killing
When We Were Kings
Restrepo
Why We Fight
Hearts of Darkness
Cocaine Cowboys
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Mea Maxima Culpa
When You’re Strange
Cocksucker Blues
Planet Rock
Lemmy
The Invisible War
Room 237
Dig!
Waco: The Rules of Engagement
Jodorowsky’s Dune
TV Junkie
Raw Deal: A Question of Consent
The Hunt for Britain’s Paedophiles
Madness in the Fast Lane
The Ice Age
Stalking Pete Doherty
American Movie
>>
I go to a college in San Diego and had a psychology class taught by one of the head trainers from SeaWorld. Literally minutes after introducing herself, she asked if we had any questions about the controversy, and no one gave a fuck. I think she likened it to the kony 2012 thing. Bunch of 13 year old kids got riled up by some meme, when they had no real understanding of the topic.
>>
File: blackfish.jpg (207 KB, 486x720) Image search: [Google]
blackfish.jpg
207 KB, 486x720
mfw
>>
Just watched Call Me Lucky. That was some heartrending shit.
>>
>>63297566
Even if your anecdote is true, it's pretty unrepresentative of the population's opinion.

You know Seaworld is losing money, right? Like, lots, lol. They company recently stated that blackfish's release may have been the cause of the fiscal problems -- but this was stated a year after the release of the documentary.

If this wasn't a problem, why are aquariums and parks making an effort to remove captive orcas from their enclosures?

Changes are still being made, and if this were a fad -- there would not be. Essentially, the very presence of change dispels what your anecdote.

Also, of course someone at SeaWorld would say it isn't a big deal, lmao.
>>
>>63297690

BANE FISH
>>
>>63297566
>I think she likened it to the kony 2012 thing
There was, in reality, not a whole lot anyone could do about that.
We could release these fucking whales tomorrow no problem.
>>
>>63297690

WAS KILLING THOSE PEOPLE A PART OF YOUR PLAN?
>>
>>63297733
There's definitely changing public opinions on captive animals, even if its just a vocal minority making waves. Barnum and Bailey circus is retiring all their elephants, and the government is stopping all experimenting on chimps and putting them in preserves.

>>63297729
That was a good one, though like a lot of docs it gets repetitive and loses steam towards the end. I was convinced that congress were gonna side with the AOL assholes until the narrator said otherwise. That shit was unbelievable
>>
>>63297228
I watched the Enron one a few weeks ago on Netflix

pretty good
>>
>>63296008
Where does it say that they aren't being held in tiny cages and that forced performances in said cages aren't detrimental to their health?
>>
>>63297733
SeaWorld is losing money due to multiple reasons, with the Blackfish controversy NOT chief among them. I dunno about the other parks, but the San Diego one sucks balls. It looks exactly the same as when I first visited it 15 years ago. The Shamu show got neutered after that trainer died a few years back.

My ex-professor/trainer said they were expanding the tanks to give the whales more space to placate the retards, but she was sure that it wasn't going to really change anyone's minds on the issue. Everyone who is on the Blackfish camp is just emotionally charged and won't listen to reason.

>>63297868
We actually learned about whales -- a whale in particular called Keiko which we had to write a paper about. The tl;dr is that whales held in captivity for a long time can't be released into the wild. So yeah, you're factually incorrect about "releasing them tomorrow with no problem."

Seaworld prof brought in an author called Mark Simmons who wrote "Killing Keiko" to talk about this in depth. Pretty much red pilled the class about it. These whales really aren't worse off in captivity. Any "cage bird analogy" etc is false equivalency.
>>
>>63298120
I just have an extremely hard time thinking a Sea World employee is an unbiased source
>>
>>63295737
By any chance, do you own any pets?
>>
File: les and herz.jpg (63 KB, 615x375) Image search: [Google]
les and herz.jpg
63 KB, 615x375
Anything by Les Blank, elder god of documentaries.
>>
>>63298171
Well, she's not the CEO of Seaworld, she's just an orca trainer. She had decades of experience dealing with the creatures. She said she got into the job because she loved animals. I never detected any deceitfulness from her. She, and other orca trainers, like what they do, and don't feel as if they're mistreating the animals. This thrread really triggered me because I remember my professor getting emotional when she said that she received a bunch of hate mail and death threats on facebook/email. God damn, you people are retards.
>>
>>63298195
Hypocrisy does not negate the validity of an argument.

You are correct, I do have a little dog. One that has no "wild" counterpart, no group that it was taken from or can go to. My dog has no geographic area in the world that you can point to and say, "Oh yes, that's where all the cockapoo dogs roam free".

But yes, you are correct. I do have a dog. But once again, hypocrisy does not invalidate -- it never does and to assume so is a logical fallacy.

>>63298120
"Expanding the tanks to give the whales more space to placate the retards". Man, you can't sincerely think that the amount of space the whales have is enough. How much rationalizing and lying to yourself do you have to go through to actually believe that?

I love animals too, I study them, I research them, I write about them, and I love to see my favourites up close. But I'm not naive enough to say that zoos and aquariums are okay establishments.
>>
>>63298621
Marine life, once taken into captivity, grow to love human attention. Keiko, the whale "Free Willy" was based off, died after she was released because she couldn't forage on her own and couldn't socialize with other orcas. Again sorry with the anecdotes, but seaworld instructor showed us videos where the orcas and dolphins "giggled" and showed outward signs of happiness in response to various human stimuli.

I mean, I'm not claiming to be an expert. I just took one class where the teacher happened to be connected to this whole thing. She pretty much showed the "captivity side of the argument" and I saw no ethical problems with it. The animals weren't suffering, and that's basically the bottom line here. If you don't want any animals held in captivity, then at least be consistent across the board. I dunno why you're singling out orcas or other marine animals -- other than maybe you've been conned by the Blackfish film.

Anyway, done. Believe what you want to believe.
>>
>>63298865
You are correct about Keiko, and I realize that animals that are grown in captivity and only know captivity should be left there (for the most part). I never advocated for the release of the whales -- maybe you thought I was another anon. I'm the biologist, researcher guy.

Also, I'm singling out orcas because we're talking about blackfish the documentary, lol. Why would you bring that up? I can talk about this subject regarding dozens of captive animals.

And "suffering" is very anthropocentric. I understand we only have ourselves to base our knowledge off of, but to say the animal isn't "suffering" is a leap.

I can't sit and tell someone that an animal with an effective habitable range of, for all intents and purposes, limitless space is okay with living in an environment thousands of percent smaller.

That being said, I could be falling for the anthropocentric fallacy I just detailed. I cannot tell someone that I am okay with the whale being in a small take, but that's my morality because I'm a human. Maybe the whale is okay with it, who fucking knows.

>I doubt it though.
>>
>>63298120
>shilling this hard for seaworld jews
Wew
>>
>>63297975

it's bretty gr8
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.