[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished watching the director's cut of Kingdom of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: 442784-kingdom-of-heaven.jpg (742 KB, 1920x818) Image search: [Google]
442784-kingdom-of-heaven.jpg
742 KB, 1920x818
Just finished watching the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven. Why the fuck is Gladiator so revered while this is considered so mediocre? It was amazing except for Orlando Bloom.
>>
>>63280288
You sort of answered your own question. If the lead is shit the movie can't really survive without it. It's one of my favorite films but it succeeds in spite of Orlando Bloom, not because of him. He's not terrible, just incredibly bland and boring. Gladiator is a much weaker film anchored by 2 fantastic leads which gives it the edge to normies.
>>
Russell Crowe >>>>> Orlando Bloom
>>
>>63280288
It's literally a bad movie and Gladiator isn't that much better but it's still much better. Like, honestly, if you have to ask why Gladiator was more popular than this movie you seriously, SERIOUSLY, don't know shit about movies and people.
>>
People would give a shit if they realized that the man in the mask is Edward Norton, and also the best fucking character in the movie.
>>
>>63280288
Because the theatrical version was meh at best. And many people get turned off by a 3 hour movie. I liked it though
>>
>>63280510
>people caring
>about Edward Norton
LOLOLOL
>>
>>63280288
>>63280394

who do you guys think should have been the lead?

I wonder this myself.
>>
>>63280611
I don't know, but I'd rather have watched a movie about the adventures of Liam Neeson's character's band of warriors
>>
>>63280611
Russell Crowe:^)
>>
>>63280611
I've thought about it too. It's a tough call, especially for the year it was made. Michael Fassbender is the same age as Orlando Bloom, seems like something he would have been great at, but no one knew he existed back then. If you don't mind aging the character up slightly then I'd go with James Purefoy.
>>
>>63280611
Cut bloom's character completely and just have liam defend Jerusalem with his group
>>
>>63280611
any of his movie friends from LotR, including Gimli, Gandalf or the Hobbits
>>
>>63280288

>Why the fuck is Gladiator so revered
>It was amazing except for Orlando Bloom.

You just answered your own question.

"It was amazing except for the lead man of the whole film".

Meanwhile Russell Crowe was brilliant in his.
>>
>>63280941
>movie friends

made me smile. cute
>>
>>63280510

>People would give a shit if they realized that the man in the mask is Edward Norton

He also wanted no one to know that it was him in the role so no one ever knew who the mysterious man was who played the King. It would've made the character a total enigma and only added to the coolness of it..

Pretty based move by him. Shame they fucked it all up and put him on the credits.
>>
>>63281258
more like he didn't want to be associated with a putrid turd
>>
what is jerusalem worth?
>>
>>63281286

Calm yourself, sprout.
>>
>>63281290
I'd have everyone in Jerusalem raped and slaughtered just to have prime Eva green sit on my face
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (56 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
56 KB, 1280x720
>>63281290
Nothing
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
>>63281290
>>63281458
Everything :^)
>>
>>63280288
It is mostly reviled because the Theatrical Cut was terrible. The director's cut is light years better. But critical and cultural opinion had already been cemented.

Now it is acknowledged that the Directors Cut is actually a good film.

As for Gladiator, I have never understood it. People LOVE that film, and it is mediocre at best.
>>
>>63280288
recommended me more shit like this. so far ive seen troy, gladiator and kingdom of heaven
>>
>>63281483
it's so cute how he does the fists :3

like that reaction image of the grinning guy with googley eyes holding out his fists
>>
>>63281509

>As for Gladiator, I have never understood it. People LOVE that film, and it is mediocre at best.

you forgot to post "i'm a girl btw" at the end
>>
>>63281572
Braveheart, even though it's kind of a meme, still enjoyable and of similar style.
>>
>>63281572
Watch the other Ridley Scott movies in that style, they are of varying quality but maybe you they will quench your thirst
>>
>>63281572
Its pretty much /tv/ universally agreed that this is the number 1 movie in existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3cXcS49D64

It's like an Irish 1982 fellowship of the ring.
>>
>>63280394
>gives the edge to normies

and any other sane person.
>>
>>63281572
Ironclad
>>
>>63283399
Is that movie any good?

Looking at images of Kate Mara wielding a mace made me not want to watch it
>>
>>63281483
> was having bunch of your people killed, ensuring that your entire religion will be hated for thousand years by literally everyone thats not from middle east and gaining a bit of land thats not even holy to you worth it
> Yes :^)
>>
>>63283471
>63283471
It's worth a watch, Purefoy is based and it is fucking brutal, there's a particular torture scene that is just as bad as Bone Tomahawks'. I remember really liking the climax too, IIRC it does one of those cliche yet always badass "the hero stays away from swords but once he gets it in his hands look the fuck out" build ups.
>>
>>63280288
Orlando Bloom was a meme actor at the time and many people dismissed the movie because of it
>>
>>63283531
I'll watch it, I like James Purefoy

How much Kate Mara is there?
I don't like her and I'm no fan of 'Keira Knightley in King Arthur' type characters
>>
>>63283476
>3rd holiest place for muzzies

Uh.
>>
File: Conan 1.jpg (14 KB, 608x407) Image search: [Google]
Conan 1.jpg
14 KB, 608x407
>>63282285

I think i've watched this before but I only remember the bald metal cap guy. Guess that is to say that this movie is not very memorable.

You'd be better of nominating Conan The Barbarian dude.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHdPtlIeJYQ

Still the most based youtube music video.
>>
>>63283558

>was a meme actor

He still is f.a.m.
>>
>>63282285
Im afraid to watch this movie.

On one side im afraid that i have hyped it too much and will end up bored and/or disappointed by it.

On the other side im afraid it will be too perfect and ruin every other sword/medieval/guy film for me.

what do?
>>
>>63280611

Heath Ledger
>>
>>63281572
The Alexander the great movie whatever it was called.
>>
>>63280611
Bloom's character is more of a plot device to take the viewer through the different plot points than a real protagonists. Sure, it could have been a bit better with another actor, (someone mentioned Fassbender, which probably would have been better) but if one wanted to really fix the problem with Bloom's character it would need a complete restructure of the entire film.

So I do think the character was a necessary evil to create an otherwise great movie.
>>
>>63280288
It depicted Muslims as innocent victims of evil; Christian conquest and doesn't acknowledge that what started the crusades was Muslims trying to conquer Europe after invading it.

It also depicted Muslims as the rightful owners of the holy lands, which is bullshit (especially from a Hollywood Jew perspective).
>>
>>63283609
She's the romantic interest of the film, actually starts out well as an unhappy drunk wife but then gets retarded near the end. Thankfully her fighting is barely a thing at all, she picks up a mace for maybe 15 seconds and that's it. The rest of the time she acts like a woman. I just rewatched and the movie is even more brutal than I remembered, but the pacing and editing is a little off. It just lacks ... something, overall it's kind of bland but still has a lot of cool elements.

It is not the film that I was remembering with a knight who vows never to fight again, then picks up a sword in the third act and wrecks everyone. I wish I could find that movie, because I remember it kicking all sorts of ass.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.