[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A coworker told me to watch this, he said it was one of his favorite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13
File: 11168284_ori.jpg (256 KB, 799x1142) Image search: [Google]
11168284_ori.jpg
256 KB, 799x1142
A coworker told me to watch this, he said it was one of his favorite movies. Is it good at all?
>>
>>63270972
It's a solid 7/10 movie. Yes, watch it it's worth it. I was surprised when I first saw it but it's good. Tfw no proper sequel will be made.
>>
watched about a week ago on /tv/s recommendation. It was written my garland so i guess i expected something better than i got. I was really disappointed in it. some of the movie making was downright amateurish and not in an endearing way.
4/10 imo
>>
>>63270972
really fun action movie, some really good slo-mo scenes. also the blonde is a qt
>>
pretty decent i guess. kinda mainstream, meant for teenagers but definitely not a bad movie
>>
not enough boobies
>>
>>63270972
2 hours in a fucking apartment complex.

Stallone's Dredd is superior
>>
>>63271259

Hipster

>>63272626

Hipster

>>63272668

retarded

Just fucking watch it OP you faggot.
>>
>>63270972
It's super-duper violent. I really admired that about it.
>>
One of the best movies of its kind in a long time. You're a FAGGOT if you think otherwise.
>>
10/10 Judge Dredd movie. Still awesome if you don't know anything about Dredd.
>>
>>63272668
>Stallone's Dredd is superior
>>
File: mama.webm (3 MB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
mama.webm
3 MB, 1280x536
where can I get some of that slo mo
>>
>>63273115
I liked Stallone's Dredd better too, but this one was pretty cool. Entirely different feel though, and I liked the shitty mid-90s action feel of the original.
>>
>>63273115
>>63273310
I think both of those movies are about equal. I like the Stalone Dredd more, but I like them both...
>>
>>63270972
Great movie. I am that coworker who recommended it to you.
>>
No.
>>
>>63272668

>Stallone's Dredd is more fun

Urban's Dredd is the superior adaptation tho.
>>
>>63270972
you like warhammer 40K?

this is basically what being an Arbite in a hive is like
>>
>>63273523
>tfw no Urban Dredd open world game
>tfw you will never ride around on your bike dispensing justice to the scum of Megacity One

Fuck a story, I would just like driving around "day in the life" style, like the movie. Just going around from one brutal violent crime to the next, fighting a vast array of gangs that where randomly generated up at the start of the game.
>>
File: Hardware.jpg (73 KB, 511x755) Image search: [Google]
Hardware.jpg
73 KB, 511x755
>>63270972
>Pleb
Dredd (2012)

>Patrician
Hardware (1990)

Is your co-worker 16?
>>
One of, if not the best action movie post-nineties.

If you like traditional action movies, you should love this.
>>
>>63274469
Go watch Ong Bak you underage faggot.
>>
>>63274469
Mad Max was legit the best action movie post-90s.
>>
>>63274523
ong bak was so fucking good
too bad it's the only really good tony jaa movie

no clue how the fuck that happened
>>
>>63274523
Im turning 30 in two weeks. Calling me an underage faggot doesn't really make me wanna watch Ong Bak. I'm more inclined to tell you to go fuck yourself.

>>63274544
Been meaning to check it out. I'll get right on it.
>>
Solid film on its own merits, good to great if you like 90's action films.

Straightforward plot, decent acting, suitable special and physical effects. They don't hide much of the gore and it's one of the best uses of slow motion in a film I've ever seen (it fits into the plot, isn't overused, and looks pretty as all hell).

You should watch it, anon.
>>
>>63274523
Ong Bak isn't even the best chop socky flick, kid.
>>
>>63274544
If you mean Fury Road fuck you too, you double-underaged culture destroying plebophile.

Go watch Picnic at Hanging Rock, then watch the first Mad Max again, then watch the sequels. If you don't think the first Mad Max shits on the others when you're done leave /tv/ forever. Fury Road lost all of the soul of Mad Max and replaced it with Hollywood pomp and flash. And Africa doesn't look like the Australian outback, Australian flora & fauna are an essential part of Australian Kino and without them it feels off.

Fury Road made me madder than any movie has in a while.
>>
>>63274624
I was blown away, t︂b︂︂h f︂︂a︂m. I heard about >muh progressive agenda and was put off from seeing it for a while, but that was a huge mistake.
>>
File: 1449025816853.jpg (5 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1449025816853.jpg
5 KB, 184x184
>>63274624
Suit yourself. As an adult you can make your own decisions. But by deciding to be a philistine you're letting yourself down.
>>
>>63274469
>>63274523
>>63274544
>discussing best action movies post-nineties
>no one mentions Elite Squad

not to derail the thread or anything, but those two flicks are fucking top tier in regards to modern action. Someone always brings up the Raid, but no mention of Elite Squad

Ong Bak was shit tho
>>
>>63274716
>Ong Bak was shit though
God fucking damn it's on now.
>>
>>63274667
If it wasn't a mad max film, would it change your opinion on it?

I'd read a bit about it leading into watching it and that was the attitude I took in. Enjoyed it quite a lot, especially the physical effects. It doesn't sit right for me as a Mad Max film though, tonally it doesn't match.
>>
>>63274667
Brother, I have seen all of the Mad Max movies, though I've never heard of Picnic at Hanging Rock. I like to watch action movies movies that remind me of the 80s. Mad Max definitely had more soul, but I like pomp and flash too. Also, I'm not sure if anybody save Australians pay attention to its flora and fauna, or at least I've never thought that much about it.
>>
Solid movie OP just watch it.

I just don't understand how judges can be bribed, especially in such numbers. Kind of broke the immersion for me. Other than that it's a solid Dredd-movie.
>>
File: dredd-g325.webm (3 MB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
dredd-g325.webm
3 MB, 1280x536
>>63273271
>>
File: dredd-g234.webm (3 MB, 960x400) Image search: [Google]
dredd-g234.webm
3 MB, 960x400
>>63274848
They were very naughty.
>>
>>63274740
If it wasn't Mad Max I'd consider it probably on par with or a bit better than Dredd and John Wick. Like them it's technically competent with above average action choreography, but there's something that feels very adolescent about most American action movies made post-2000 to me. They're all so humourless. Sure they can have scenes which are meant to be funny, but their overall approach to making an action movie doesn't sit right with me. They're so dark, violent and seedy, edgy doesn't seem like the right kind of word for it, grimdark feels more on point if a bit outdated.

Back to the adolescent thing, something about these movies feels immature even though on a surface level seem much more mature than all of my favourite action movies (Drunken Master, Starship Troopers), it's like they were all written by a teenager in an angry phase or something. I think that these movies take themselves too seriously and this makes them hard to watch. I don't think that Max grunting like an animal and barely acting human for the entire movie is badass, or unsettling, or anything really, it just makes it less entertaining. Action movies seem to feel more like thrillers just going off of tone, that might be it. The general tone of these movies is off, on a level I can perceive but not describe right now they're just not creating the right feel.
>>
File: dredd-23f2.webm (2 MB, 1000x413) Image search: [Google]
dredd-23f2.webm
2 MB, 1000x413
>>63274854
>>
>>63274886
You're 100% right about the tone. Everything's so serious today.

>yfw there will never be Commando 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teSmRfAtDOU
>>
>>63274936
Arnold is so awesome. He was one of the most jacked men on the planet but he backed it up with charisma too. He's so fun to watch.
>>
>>63275037
Truly the GOAT. No one will ever live up to him.
>>
>>63270972
It is surprisingly good for what it is. It manages to be creative and cohesive right up to its conclusion.
>>
File: 1401272270936.jpg (181 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1401272270936.jpg
181 KB, 640x480
>>63274936
>yfw Die Hard was supposed to be Commando 2
>>
>>63274886
I dunno man, Dredd had plenty of funny moments.

>The "Hotshot" scene
>Dredd's "Admirable" remark
>(Medic guy Referring to not getting Judges at Peach Trees) "Well you got one now"
> The banter between Anderson and the black dude

Sure, it was dark, violent and seedy, but it never took itself too seriously. It was a classic throwback to the action films of the 80's and 90's. I missed films like this, and it was refreshing when I saw it.
>>
File: hanna_movie_01.jpg (345 KB, 2500x1667) Image search: [Google]
hanna_movie_01.jpg
345 KB, 2500x1667
The thing I like the most about Dredd is that it goes against the fucking monochromatic fetish that has fucking plagued almost literally every action movie since The Matrix (and even The Matrix did it in a way that made fucking sense at least, with a sense of purpose and style. Now it's just the FUCKING DEFAULT)

Hanna also got points for this in my books.
>>
>>63275304
he just has nostalgia. dredd finds the perfect balance for me, not too serious but not too goofy either, all while having great action fun.
>>
>>63275393
Not that guy, but it's not nostalgia. They are entirely different in feel. I have a hard time describing the feel of the 80s movies. There was always this sense that none of this was real and there was no expectation that you suspend any disbelief.
>>
>>63274469
>>63274650
It feels like a worthy successor to Die Hard
>>
>>63270972
Very good its a shame there will be no sequel
>>
>>63275323
It's a trend with basically everything, one movie does something for stylistic reasons and then other movies copy it for no other reason than because the first movie made money. Everyone wanted shaky cameras after bourne and everyone wanted grimdark after the nolan movies even when it was irrelevant to the subject matter.
>>
File: 1448100896336.jpg (129 KB, 917x752) Image search: [Google]
1448100896336.jpg
129 KB, 917x752
>>63275393
I don't have nostalgia. I'm 18. I think good action movies are supposed to be a certain way that Dredd missed and good Australian movies are meant to be a certain way that Fury Road missed.

I saw Hardware (>>63274446) about a year after Dredd and thought it was better in just about every way. It's not just action, it's also how they handled 2000AD. I think that there needs to be a biting tone of cynicism to it all that Dredd didn't have. It was cynical, but American cynical rather than British. It might sound pedantic but there's a significant difference between them. Dredd should feel more like an episode of Red Dwarf than The Raid. The British aren't a typically bright and cheery people, but there's something about their particular brand of gloom and cynicism that in a way feels brighter than the idealism of other countries. It's the attitude of "of course everything's shit, why wouldn't it be?" that gets a lot of people through hard times and there's something nice about that. American cynicism on the other hand feels more like grime and violence for the sake of badness because we're all pissed off. That can work, but if you ask me it's not 2000AD and it's not "great action fun" either.

I feel like that was lots of words. Have this: https://youtu.be/u5DNa8FDilY
>>
File: Judges.jpg (511 KB, 2000x1331) Image search: [Google]
Judges.jpg
511 KB, 2000x1331
>>63270972
Great movie, lovely ultraviolence.

Ignore the usual posters because they hate on everything
>>
File: TheBeyond1.jpg (983 KB, 1969x2921) Image search: [Google]
TheBeyond1.jpg
983 KB, 1969x2921
>>63276510
>lovely ultraviolence
Like you know violence.
>>
>>63274716
Elite Squad is great, but It's far from an "action" film. Same goes for the sequel. Those are crime dramas with action sequences. Tell the average action junky to go watch Elite Squad because it's the best action movie and he'll never trust you again.
>>
>>63274886
Fury Road is hilarious. Dredd and John Wick are also both pretty darkly humorous. I know what's really going on here...

>WHY DO THINGS HAVE TO CHANGE!? WAAAAAHH!!
>>
>>63276949
Has nothing changed or am I upset over things changing? You can't say both.
>>
>>63276971
You want the same exact movie you watched when you were 12 over and over again without you knowing that it's the exact same movie.
>>
>people think this movie was so much "fun"
>just a such a fun movie!
>sequel when!

only good thing about it is the mental rape scene.

Keith urban is very underwhelming as Dredd.

Its low budget as fuck, whole movie in one apartment complex? They try to justify that shit through plot but let's face it it feels cheap.

I'm all for Dredd movies but it should be rebooted or way revamped in budget and cast. Keith Urban is not charismatic enough.
>>
>>63277033
Which exact movie is that? And if I have a problem with how things are now that means that something has to have changed, so I'm at least a bit right. Right?
>>
File: keith.jpg (7 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
keith.jpg
7 KB, 299x168
>>63277043

sorry I meant karl urban, not keith
>>
>>63270972
Yeah it's fucking great and it would be long finished by now if you'd just watched it. What the fuck is the point of these threads?
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.