[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 485x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 485x720
What went wrong?
>>
>>63270209

It was released before the capeshit craze we're in now.
>>
>>63270209
Nothing really, it was as good an adaption as one could hope for and in terms of the ending, actually improved on the original.
>>
its on ifc and not encore, too many commercials
>>
>>63270301
This.

It was good. Fuck off.
>>
>>63270321
If it's so good why does it have such a low RT rating compared to other super hero movies?
>>
>>63270307
glad I'm not the only one watching right now
>>
>>63270321
>>63270301
But it made everyone super strong kung fu masters, glorifying violence and the superhero concept. That's a problem.
>>
>>63270469
this and that sex scene to the leonard cohen song. absolutely stupid and hilarious scene. enjoyed it overall though
>>
>>63270469
Were you under the impression that somehow the people who lived for years fighting crime mainly with their fists were not good at fighting?
>>
>>63270209
It was okay.
It wasn't sure if it wanted to change the source material or be a frame-by-frame adaptation,which did not please the fans of the original comic (who had absudrly high expectations in the first place)
>>
>>63270209
Should have been a 12 ep series

instead we got a rushed plot and excessive sex and out-of-character violence to keep the audience from falling asleep

it is a faithful adaptation tho, but it waters down some of the the subplots and themes

im ok with the new ending
>>
I have tried 3X to watch this movie. Each time I turn it off after about 2 minutes of the Bob Dylan song at the beginning.Cant stand Bob Dylan. Fuk DC anyway.
>>
>>63270335
>Using RT scores to judge the quality of a movie
>>
that blue guy was a fuckin homo
>>
File: 1417207385412.jpg (3 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1417207385412.jpg
3 KB, 200x200
I should've just been a two hour movie about Rorschach.

Too many different subplots.
>>
>>63270637
desu I use RT, I don't care about the scores, but I do read some critic and user reviews to determine if I'm interested in the movie or not.

Often times a movie will have a lower score, but the reviews giving it bad scores complain about "all male cast" or "excessive violence". I tend to ignore those reviews and look at actual interpretations of the movie
>>
>>63270524
they're superhuman in the movie, it also makes the fighting look cool which makes sense for a movie but it totally goes against one of the themes of the story
>>
>>63270301
>in terms of the ending, actually improved on the original.

But it changes the message of the movie entirely. One of Watchmen's major themes was moving out from under the fear of the atom bomb, something Manhattan's existence intrinsically represents. And it doesn't make any sense besides. Manhattan was an AMERICAN God; why would the Russians who were just ready to engage in nuclear warfare with the US with Manhattan on their side suddenly be dissuaded when the US's lynchpin in their nuclear arsenal suddenly goes rogue?
>>
>>63270884
Probably because the US just got blown up too and they're the ones that know the most about Manhattan so flipping out and nuking everyone would fuck everyone even more than the previous mutually assured destruction.
>>
Why were fans of the book so pissed that the squid monster didn't come back?
>>
>>63270988
Mutually assured destruction would be the standard protocol in this scenario because it's confirmed that the US's arsenal made a strike against Russia. All the automated systems would be launched. Besides that, Russia would absolutely not cease its invasion of Afghanistan since this turn of events would only make the US's position more precarious.

The point of the squid was to get everyone to think of the bigger picture in a context free of national borders and cultural barriers. Manhattan going rogue still divides the world by East and West. Manhattan is America's fault. He went crazy under America's command. Once the idle threat wears off, Russia is going to be at America's throat.
>>
>>63270842

Yeah, honestly the choreography might have been decent if snyder moved things at real speed and didn't stylize it to the point where every punch sent guys flying three feet and spinning ass over teakettle. Like, the part in the first alley fight with Laurie and Dan, when he breaks that gangster's bone, that might have been brutal and disgusting like Watchmen's violence was supposed to be if it was restrained and kept to a quick grotesque effect viewed from a decent distance.

But nah, Snyder had to linger on that shit in full HD cgi like it's a fucking special move in mortal kombat 10. And make strikes that might have been somewhat impractical but grounded in actual martial arts into physics-defying bullshit.
>>
COME GATHER ROUND PEOPLE
>>
File: hdgoldblum.jpg (65 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
hdgoldblum.jpg
65 KB, 960x540
>>63271277

AND WITNESS THESE DUBS
>>
>>63271190
because Snyder thought general moviegoing audiences were too stupid to get the squid monster and needed a threat more immediate in the narrative

despite that contradicting a central theme of the story
>>
File: hello.jpg (41 KB, 992x744) Image search: [Google]
hello.jpg
41 KB, 992x744
>shitty lowest common denominator capeshit movie
>the bad guys win

"It's good"
>>
>>63271206
So in other words, like in the original, it's still very likely that Ozymandius killed those people for nothing.
>>
>>63270307
I usually don't mind IFC, but for a movie that pushes 3 hours, it really gets fucking annoying
>>
>>63271332
>despite that contradicting a central theme of the story
could you explain a bit further? It's been a while since I read it.
>>
>>63271391
Much more likely in the movie than in the book.
>>
>>63270209
>What went wrong?
The soundtrack
The casting
The costumes
The ending
>>
>>63271470
The end of the nuclear age, that peculiar, nostalgic sentiment of American exceptionalism, and the reign of superheros in the public consciousness.
>>
I feel like it would have worked better as a mini-series (as someone who enjoyed it).
>>
Literally nothing.
It was perfect.
All changes from the comics were for the better.
Super fan boys are autistic, and the general public are fickle and didn't grow up with it's lore so they ignored it and/or disliked it.
Comedian, Rorschach, the music, the feel, that opening credits sequence... literal perfection. GOAT 'capeshit.'
>>
>>63271574
None of which has anything to do with a giant fucking squid. If anything the cities blowing up instead was more in line with those themes.
>>
>>63270209
Absolutely nothing, it was amazing.
>>
>>63270209
I thought it was great. Was very surprised to find out later how many people didn't like it. It's about as good of a comic book adaptation as you can hope for in a movie.

Only complaint is that the original Night Owl's subplot got cut
>>
This is your daily reminder to watch the super long director's cut version of The Watchmen instead of the theatrical release.
>>
>>63272174
how about I just snap my bluray in half and save the time
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.