[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens if the reviews are mostly bad? What happens if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
File: The-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens.jpg (170 KB, 2164x1227) Image search: [Google]
The-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens.jpg
170 KB, 2164x1227
What happens if the reviews are mostly bad?

What happens if it chugs out to a 55% RT score, to a 6.4 MC score?

Is the box office gross affected at all? Are there some people who actually won't go see it?

Will anyone's career end?
>>
>>63268343
>What happens if the reviews are mostly bad?
>What happens if it chugs out to a 55% RT score, to a 6.4 MC score?
it won't matter
>Is the box office gross affected at all? Are there some people who actually won't go see it?
people are so thirsty for more star wars it won't affect sales
>Will anyone's career end?
no
>>
Word of mouth affects box office.

If it gathers bad rep in the first weekend it's fucked.

It's obviously going to have crazy good first weekend, but what happens after that is uncertain.

Remember how Avatar had a weak first weekend but then picked up super fast because of good reviews?
>>
>>63268343
At this point it's going to be a financial success regardless of if it's good or not. By the time word of mouth starts really spreading it'll be mid day on sunday and the bulk of it's money will be made.

That said it's going to be a 7/10 movie that people will consider to be a 8.5/10 because IT'S STAR WARS MAN.
>>
>Will anyone's career end?
hopefully jj
>>
>>63268403
>people are so thirsty for more star wars it won't affect sales

Is this why RotS made just 800 million $? Despite all the shilling about being the best Prequel.
>>
Transformers 4 got 18% on RT and it grossed $1.104 billion

Reviews mean jack shit
>>
>>63268428
>and the bulk of it's money will be made

Biggest opening weekends in history are around 200 million $. This movie needs to make 2 billion $ to be considered a success.
>>
>>63268451
Didn't it actually underperform in the US, though? I think it missed expectations. That's why Paramount has talked about retooling the franchise.
>>
>>63268451

1b $ would be a disaster for TFA.
>>
The movie would have to be really bad sub 35% RT to have any actual impact.
>>
i don't like any of the main characters so i won't bother going to see it in a theater unless it gets really good reviews

got a feeling i'll just pirate it
>>
im guessin whatever losses they plan to make back in toy sales so the movie doesnt mean shit sort of bombing but i dont really know.
>>
>>63268515

1 billion $ box office means studio made 500 million $.

Transformers 4 had 300 million budget + 150 million marketing campaign.

It was a failure.
>>
>>63268434
If TFA is anything less than a critical and commercial success, Disney is going to fucking blacklist Abrams. Can you imagine how angry they'd be? They would have specifically hired him so that he wouldn't fuck up and he would have done just that. It would be some McCarthyism shit, he'd never work in Hollywood again.
>>
>>63268343
What's going to happen is that most "hardcore" Star Wars fans are going to have reactions ranging from "I want my fucking money back this is literally worse than the prequels" to "it was okay I guess" and they're going to be attacked as racist misoginerds by the internet-at-large for it no matter how many gorillions the film rakes in. Some will fold and toe the line but others will dig in and we'll get a shitshow on par with GG if not even larger.

What a time to be alive.
>>
>>63268551

Will they make that much with toys though? I really doubt kids will buy Finn and Rey figures.

And the new Battlefront is a big fiasco.
>>
>>63268590
i just assume its like pokemon where the show is a front of the main goal is just game sales.
>>
It's going to make dat $$$ no matter how shitty it is family
>>
it doesn't matter
if there is profit they will go ahead with ep 8 and 9
ep 1 got shit reviews but they still made money
>>
>>63268343
Not possible. 1. big name 2. black supporting actor 3. female lead. Kikes will be paying everyone off to say this is good.
>>
>>63268451
The only reason it did well is because of the Chinese. The head of Paramount was saying it was going to be the biggest movie in the US and it was passed by Guardians of the Galaxy
>>
it will be o.k. but critics dont want to be hated so theyll give it a 9/10
>>
>>63268343
What happens?

Boyega dies in the second movie. oh god I can't wait to spam 1/10 on every website of the world, I've already bought a vpn for that
>>
>>63268449
800 million is not anything to sneaze at m8. Also, it was the third prequel.
>>
>>63268629
>kikes
>paying for something

You don't understand this, do you?
>>
Unless it's Phantom Menace Bad, people will literally not give a shit.

Even if it is, people won't care at first.

It's going to be huge and probably beat Avatar, because people don't care about quality.

Being Nerdy is cool, and Nerds like Star Wars.
>>
>>63268571
Get ready for memes to come from it.
>>
>>63268641
>critics dont want to be hated
you don't know critics m8
>>
>>63268570
god i hope so
>>
File: 1406992287770.jpg (118 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1406992287770.jpg
118 KB, 640x480
>>63268343
>What happens if it chugs out to a 55% RT score, to a 6.4 MC score?
Intensify forward shitpost power, we don't want any discussion to get through.
>>
>>63268493
You're not including the international markets opening weekend in that which don't seem to affect each other when it comes to word of mouth. You'd think they would with the internet but it really doesn't.
>>
Jurassic World is the third highest grossing film with close to 1.7 billion in the box office, beating out the Avengers. Admittedly that was 74% on RT, but it also has a lot less anticipation and history than Star Wars. Even if it only has a 55% RT score I don't see it earning under 1.5 billion. If the RT score is 85%+ (and it probably will be, quality be damned) I can honestly say that it'll probably earn more than 2 billion, especially with the Chinese market which is going to eat this shit up.
>>
>>63268617
Replace "game" with "merch" and you're pretty much correct.

BUT. They probably have no idea how much of the franchise's income is split between kids who are too young to care and older audiences both grognard and casual. If Star Wars loses its street cred as a pillar of "nerd culture" because the grognards hate it then the casual audience may well move on to greener pastures as well and that could be a devastating blow.
>>
>>63268343
It's gonna make an obscene amount of money no matter what.
>>
>>63268776
I doubt it.

Star Wars is popular and will sell well because of nostalgia. Most people watched the movies as children, and that is what will get them to go into the cinema. Grognards that hate the new movie will be ignored, just like the Grognards that hated nu-Trek.
>>
>>63268617

What merch? You really think modern kids care about Finn action figures?
>>
>>63268670

If TFA made 800 million $ Disney would hang JJ on the nearest streetlamp. By the balls.

Do you even realize how much all this marketing costs?
>>
>>63268862
star wars is well known for selling toys. dont pretend im making some insane claim.
>>
Opening weekend will do great financially like >>63268415 said, but after that, who knows. If it turns out being widely disliked, then episode 8 probably won't do as good financially
>>
>>63268959

Was.
>>
>>63268986
all they had to do was call palp sheev and his popularity here skyrocketed.
>>
popnerd culture wont let any of that happen sadly
>>
>>63269017
When was it stated (by Lucas, I presume)?

Every time I see the name Sheev I start gaging
>>
>>63268590

If you look at the toys, Hasbro severely cut corners on the 3 3/4". They have only 5 points of articulation

With the 6" series, Finn and Chewie dont sell
>>
Settle this SCORE:

http://strawpoll.me/6164894
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.