[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this one of the most well thought out time travel movies?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7
File: primer_xlg.jpg (218 KB, 1013x1500) Image search: [Google]
primer_xlg.jpg
218 KB, 1013x1500
Is this one of the most well thought out time travel movies? Will I be as confused as people say?
>>
you need to watch it like 3 times to actually understand whats going on
>>
>>63264369
0/10 reddit-tier movie, don't bother
>>
>>63264437
but why tho?
>>
>>63264472
because it went over my head so it's obviously a try-hard pleb flick
>>
>>63264472
Go back to reddit
>>
>>63264369

its confusing, but in a good way.

primer has endured as a great piece of hard sci-fi because its actually a good film with great cinematography and score and tons of enigmatic atmospheric gestures
>>
>>63264472
It's a meme movie. There is nothing to it beyond it's literal complexity, it is a math problem more than it is a work of art. It's like a more sophisticated inception without the budget or the director.
>>
>>63264437
>>63264515
>>63264548
>reddit
>meme
fucking kill yourselves
>>
>>63264621
Hello reddit
>>
File: 1437628237992.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1437628237992.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>63264535
>tons of enigmatic atmospheric gestures
>>
>>63264548
sounds like a well thought out movie to me, ill give it a watch thanks.
>>
Makes great use of the Novikov self-consistency principle, but gets a little bit too messy for the sake of it, i still think Cronocrimenes is the best one.
>>
the narrative is quite complex but thematically it's a straightforward film.
>>
>write script
>only able to film about 2/3rds of it due to budget and running out of film stock
>spend 3 years editing it into something remotely coherant
>give up, release what you got

>people talking about it 10 years later.

When will the hurting stop
>>
>>63264681
It's definitely well thought out it just isn't a very good movie.
>>
>>63264535
>great cinematography and score
this. i wonder how much of /tv/ ever watches things on dvd anymore, but i remember the director's commentary was fantastic in explaining how they shot a lot of the movie, if you like the cinematography. then there was another commentary that was just all 6 people who made/acted in the movie fucking around, which was also a great commentary
>>
>>63264369
it needs subtitles to understand what's going on

they mumble too much in this
>>
>>63264706
This. That said, I really like it and wish more people would watch it.
>>
>>63264726
he never "gave up"...
>>
>>63264786
I still like, but I can't stand the awful acting or dialogue anymore so I don't rewatch it
>>
There are better meme in the same vain.

Try Mr Nobody or The Man from Earth
>>
>>63264548
How is it a meme though
>>
>>63264874
when someone uses "meme" to describe a movie, I tend to usually ignore their review or comment entirely.
>>
>>63264927
I don't give great answers to people who spend more time asking if they should watch a movie than the movie's actual runtime.
>>
>>63265009
Not everybody has unlimited time like you neet loser
>>
File: 1407791203183.jpg (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1407791203183.jpg
8 KB, 200x200
>>63265009
>>
>>63265028
That was kinda my point.

I'm starting to think Fast and Furious would be too intellectually deep for you, forget Primer.
>>
>>63265132
Not op I've already seen primer

Get a job you waste of oxygen
>>
If you like time travel, you'd probably enjoy this movie. It has a kind of dark tone, which is pretty unusual for a time travel movie, I think.
>>
It's shit. Timecrimes is better.
>>
>>63264369
Well, I'm a big dumb retard who likes michael bay and vin diesal. I drive a pick up truck and work on the oil rigs. I thought it was pretty boring.
>>
I liked it a lot. A lot of people on reddit like it to, but so what? It's a good movie. It won the Grand Jury and Alfred P Sloan prize at Sundance the year it came out. Give it a go.
>>
>>63264548
I think that the characters are interesting.
>>
It's not extremelly complicated, but there's clues you'll only notice on hindsight or on a second watch.

>>63267166
It really isn't. Timecrimes is just really by the book and predictable. Nevertheless the tits were pretty nice.
>>
How do people feel about Carruth's next movie Upstream Color?
>>
Just download it, i'm in the first 20 minutes, acting is amateur and the budget seems lower than my car. Shoot with a Canon 5d mkII and one lense.
>>
>>63264548
It's a well made, well acted film that has no thematic bearing and won't evoke any kind of thought or emotion beyond trying to figure out how it works and then feeling smart for doing so.

It's well worth a watch, but I agree. It's not a great film.
>>
>>63264369
it's a pretty shitty time travel flick, made worse by the fact that at the end there's characters from different times coexisting at the same time.
>>
>>63268547
the budget was very low
>>
Don't watch this movie. It's easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
It's just so fucking interminably boring, I wanted to kill myself the entire way through but I couldn't leave because I was watching it with a group of friends.
I have no problem with slow-paced movies, but this one is also dense, boring, poorly written and badly acted.
The plot could be the most brilliant thing of all time, but there's nothing that would make anyone want to care about it.
>>
>>63268630
It's just not about the budget there are poor choices like the clothes of the actors. Why the fuck do they have to wear white shirt and black tie like if they were in Fortune 500 compagny? It's obviously just 4 friends who try to build an amaterish electronic to patern it.

I will give it a shot since 4chan think both it's worth watching despise the ultra cheap packaging
>>
>>63264493
faggots like you are the reason 2deep4u is a meme. just because a movie is complicated doesn't mean it can't be bad. complexity for complexity's sake is bad. this movie is bad. your taste is bad for not realizing it's bad.
>>
At which time mark the plot begin ?
>>
>>63268849
never
not even joking
it's a movie version of a sudoku puzzle. do you complete one because you are really interested in the final placement of the numbers? of course not. will this movie disappoint you? well, would you enjoy the movie purely from working to figure it out? do you imagine sisyphus happy?
>>
>>63268780

If you over think it and keep pausing to shitpost you probably wont like it.

Just stop being a fag
>>
>>63264548
>>63268604
If you missed the thematic content in Primer, I feel sorry for you. It's probably easier to get if you've lived in the Texas Triangle, but it's basically a metaphor for modernization and also for moving through phases of individual life.
>>
>>63268499
I liked Primer, but the psychology/arc of the protagonists in Upstream Color is pretty simple. With that said, it's been a while since I've seen it.
>>
File: 248887-primer_timeline.jpg (818 KB, 2791x1745) Image search: [Google]
248887-primer_timeline.jpg
818 KB, 2791x1745
>>
>>63264728
Been looking for a DL of the commentary for a while now.
>>
>>63267166
>Timecrimes is better.

It would've been, if it weren't for the fact that the TWEEEST is completely obvious to anyone with functioning eyes and doesn't make any sense unless Hector is completely retarded.
>>
Shane please post! How is A Modern Ocean coming?
>>
>>63269331

I finished it. it's a clever idea but cinematography speaking a piece of shit, film's school - tier.

Don't recommand it.
>>
>>63264369
gay/10
would not fall asleep too again
>>
It's easy to understand up until the last 10 minutes, where they ran out of money and had to rush through the rest of the plot. it's not complicated by design, it's complicated by lack of planning.
>>
File: Primer Zoetrope.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Primer Zoetrope.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>63267048
What... Dark time travel is the time teavel norm
>>
>>63264369
>Is this one of the most well thought out time travel movies?

If it were well thought out then they'd have realized at some point they could've made infinite copies of, say, a $3k diamond ring and be infinitely fucking rich. But I guess betraying your best friend takes precedence for cinematic reasons.
>>
If its on netflix, its become trite shit.

That has nothing to do with "muh niche hipster tastes" either. Once something gets enough attention, it sort of loses it value. Its better to explore newer films, pioneering and all that. It was mindbending for the year it was released but I think theres been much better films that capture the confusion of timetravel without revolving around the grandfather paradox.
>>
>>63268782
back to reddit
>>
>>63264729
This.

It is much better the second time around.
>>
>>63271046
My pirated copy has both commentaries. Can't link you, but I got it either from TPB or KAT, and it's 4.57 GB.
>>
>>63264369
yes, if only for the reason that no one else bothers to make time travel have an internal logic.
>>
>>63264699
>Cronocrimenes

I love time travel movies, and I loved Primer, but Time Crimes was beyond retarded.

>hurr I better do this insane shit just because I saw myself do it
>>
File: Doc and Mharti.jpg (157 KB, 934x649) Image search: [Google]
Doc and Mharti.jpg
157 KB, 934x649
>>63264726
>you should give up on your dreams and passions, everyone, or else you might end up a sucess
>>
The point is things spiraling out of control and humans hubris.
Even the autistic timeline recreation is incomplete because the film doesn't flesh out everything that happened.
>>
>>63268607
>made worse by the fact that at the end there's characters from different times coexisting at the same time.

How does that make it bad or worse?
Kind of random, anon.
>>
>>63269243
If not for rhetorical questions, would you have anything to post?
>>
File: slide_18247_253781_large.jpg (29 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
slide_18247_253781_large.jpg
29 KB, 550x400
>>63271004
>watch movie
>confused, but that's okay
>read a synopsis
>okay I think I got it now
>rewatch movie
>okay I definitely understand it better
>see this image
>more confused than ever
>>
>>63264548
when is Hiro splitting this board? fucking tired of this shit.
>>
It's an interesting movie but it's not some kind of work of genius. Upstream Color showed that Carruth likes being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse. People watch them a few times and then pat themselves on the back when they think they finally "understand" them.

Just accept the movie at face value and don't let others fool you into thinking that it's greater than the sum of its parts.
>>
>>63264680
>>>63264535
>>tons of enigmatic atmospheric gestures

http://science.slashdot.org/story/15/12/02/042206/why-some-people-think-total-nonsense-is-really-deep

:^)
>>
>>63269243
Camus says yes
>>
If you pay attention you won't be all that confused.
>>
>>63274014
What, like Neon Genesis Evangelion?
>>
>>63274247
ho come on now
>>
First half hour is a little hard to sit through because it doesn't feel like it's going anywhere.
Also it's really hard to understand what's going on and what they are talking about.
It's not important to understand every line of dialogue in the beginning.
But you should still get some subs.

It's a great movie if you like movies you have to think about a bit, maybe do some research to understand.
Nobody understands this movie on the first watch.
It took me 3 watches to feel like I understood everything.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.