[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay /tv/, lets decide this once and for all. Which trilogy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5
File: swvslotr.jpg (195 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
swvslotr.jpg
195 KB, 900x506
Okay /tv/, lets decide this once and for all.
Which trilogy is better?The Hobbit and the prequels dont count

http://strawpoll.me/6163332
>>
lotr is technically better but star wars was more seminal (though lotr edges it out in the literal sense) and important
>>
=
>>
>>63262476
I enjoy watching Star Wars more but I'd argue thats largely because I watched it first. Lord of the Rings is a better crafted trilogy of movies in almost every way.
>>
New Hope/Empire > LOTR >>>>>>>>>>>>> Return of the Jedi
>>
OP why.

Just why.

I am a huge SW fan but even I have to admit shit like https://youtu.be/8Tgi-j56ueU is way better than anything in SW. It isn't even a fair fight OP.
>>
They both fucking suck

Grow the fuck up
>>
Star Wars is absolute children tier garbage.

Lotr transcends these superficial memeflicks beyond their reddit aspirations and African budget.
>>
>>63262476
This scene alone settles the debate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJnw7uCaxhc
>>
File: boris.jpg (27 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
boris.jpg
27 KB, 500x500
>>63262866
>posting on korean weeaboo board
>going to threads of movies you think suck
>telling other people to grow up
>>
LOTR. Star Wars may be a lot more influential but it's aged like shit. LOTR has so many perfectly shot scenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGzo8-1Alj8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjAAC13al9s
>>
The Lord of the Rings in every way.
>>
>>63263129
I think after another ~20 years, LOTR will prove to be the more influential movie
>>
Once and for all? I thought it was obvious that LotR were the better movies.
>>
>>63262476
Fellowship is fucking amazing and promises something that could outdo Star Wars. But the next two just drag on too long and feel too repetitive. It feels like a fucking mini-series.

The thing that's so great about Star Wars is that each movie in the OT is pretty different from the last.

Oh and also space shit and laser guns/swords are better than that middle earth bullshit.
>>
LOTR and its not even close, lmao
>>
File: Absolutely Haram.jpg (97 KB, 531x471) Image search: [Google]
Absolutely Haram.jpg
97 KB, 531x471
>>63262476

>people actually voted star wars
>>
>>63264753
I fuckin hate this "mene", but stat wars is reddit as it gets.
And we all know redditors are infesting this board
>>
>>63262476
Didn't Lucas "borrow" from LotR?
I feel like there's probably some stuff in Star Wars that is similar.
>>
>>63264977
What?
>>
As much as I love the Star Wars OT, there's some stupid shit and about half of ROTJ is pretty inexcusable. LOTR is better crafted overall.
>>
Return of the Jedi is a chore to watch
>>
>>63265611
Like what? I'll grant you the Ewoks, but what else is there bad about it?
>>
As much as I like LOTR I think this question depends on age quite a lot.
>>
Star Wars
IV - 9
V - 9
VI - 8
Average - 8.7/10

Lord of the Rings
1 - 10
2 - 7
3 - 8
Average - 8.3/10

So it's Star Wars... barely.
>>
>>63266384
Plot revolving around a second fucking Death Star. Resolving the love triangle between Luke-Han-Leia by 'hurrdurr we are brother and sister.' Boba Fett dying to comic relief. The duel at the end being completely phoned in. And yeah, those goddamn ewoks who make up a sizable chunk of the movie.
>>
>>63266564
>Lord of the Rings
>1 - 10
>2 - 9.8
>3 - 9.8
>Average - 9.87/10

fify
>>
>>63266564
>The Two Towers
>7
yeah no. Pretty much everyone agrees that Return of the King is the worst in the series while still a decent movie.
>>
L O T R
O
T
R
>>
>>63266839
>Pretty much everyone agrees that Return of the King is the worst in the series
>Citation needed

Worldwide Box Office:
1. RotK
2. TTT
3. TFotR

IMDb Ratings:
1. RotK
2. TFotR
3. TTT

Academy Awards
1. RotK
2. TFotR
3. TTT
>>
>>63266839
Not sure about that man, but I'd still give Two Towers an 8/10
>>
Harry Potter :^)
>>
>>63263592
>each movie in the OT is pretty different from the last.

So you really think FOTR is the same as TT is the same as ROTK? I could see the argument for the last two on a superficial level, given the amount of final speeches before an epic charge, but there's still plenty of variation. ANH and ROTJ both have Death Stars dude.
>>
>>63266839
Return of the King has one of the best scenes ever produced in cinema.
>>
>>63266564
Fair.
>>
>>63269547
Well that doesn't necessarily mean that the movie as a whole is good, even though it's still pretty good despite the waaaaay too many battle scenes. The emotion of the ending and everything in between the battles is great though. Which scene are you talking about? Frodo and Sam on the rock? Frodo sailing to the west?
>>
I think the entire Shire opening in Fellowship is probably the best 30 minutes of cinema ever.
>>
>>63269622
The Charge, most likely.

The best scene though is Gandalf talking to Pippin while they wait for the end.

>>63269684
Fuck man, I didn't ask for these feels.
Now I'm thinking about it and it just makes me sad to see how much love went into LotR compared to the Hobbit shit. I think the closest the Hobbit movies got to that vibe of the LotR movies was at the end of AUJ.
I mean jesus christ, there wasn't a fucking burial scene in BTFO5A
>>
>>63269684
Dude, you can like it a lot... I certainly do... But don't be fucking dumb.

Anytime you catch yourself saying something along the lines of "That x was the best x of all time!" just stop yourself and remember that that's a dumb way to think about art. Say "it was my favorite" or "it's one of the best I've seen", but the best of all time doesn't really even exist.
>>
>>63269782
There was actually a pretty enlightening snippet of the making of The Hobbit movies that makes me feel more sympathy for PJ than resentment. They weren't good, but he was basically placed in the worst situation possible.
>>
>>63262476
of course lotr
before Peter Jackson got corrupted by the sjws
>>
>>63269782
>>63269848
>>63269853
Here it is.
>>
>>63269888
Nice trips, but you forgot your link faggot
>>
>>63268977
Think of the films as a whole though. All the Lord of the Rings films feature very similar settings and elements. Outdoors, wilderness, mountains, horses, sword fighting, bow and arrows. It just gets monotonous.

As for the Death Star thing, really think about that criticism will you? Sure we all know it's lame they used the Death Star twice but at least RotJ used it in a VERY different way. There's not a bunch of running around and shooting stormtroopers or a trench run again. It's just a nice setting for a space battle and the final confrontation between Luke ande Vader/The Emperor.

My point is that aesthetically each Star Wars film is so different. Thanks no doubt to having different directors for each film as well as years between the filming of each installment.

LOTR just feels like one really fucking drawn out 12 hour movie.
>>
File: 9404404.jpg (46 KB, 258x371) Image search: [Google]
9404404.jpg
46 KB, 258x371
>>63269888
>>63269921
GAD DAMMIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk
>>
>>63269977
>Think of the films as a whole though. All the Star Wars films feature very similar settings and elements. Space, SAND, corridors, starfighters, Lightsaber fighting, blasters. It just gets monotonous.
Checkmate
>>
>>63269977
>Star Wars
>Film
Pick one you fucking faggot
>>
>>63270370
I hate this semantic bullshit so much.
>>
>>63270063
>Checkmate
So both trilogies are equally shitty then. Wonderful.

Also yes, just respond to one aspect of my argument and declare checkmate. Debates are so easy to win when you cherry pick like a little bitch and hope nobody notices. Bravo.
>>
>>63270503
>Debates are so easy to win when you cherry pick like a little bitch
Not him but you're the one who looks like a little bitch m8.

>muh romantic space opera
>>
>>63270503
Aesthetically different?
Not fucking really. Certainly no more than the LotR movies are, and if you can't tell a difference you probably lack the true aesthetic sensibilities required to appreciate cinematography.
>>
Empire > Rotk > Fellowship = ANH > Two Towers > Rotj

Tied senpai
>>
Prequels > LOTR > Originals > Hobbit
>>
>>63270641
>and if you can't tell a difference you probably lack the true aesthetic sensibilities required to appreciate cinematography.
Sorry to here that pal. If you can't tell the aesthetic difference between Empire and Return then you must be slow.
>>
>>63266564
>Jedi
>8
"lol"
>>
>>63270709
Finally someone gets it.
>>
>>63270728
>Sorry to here
Sorry to read that you're an English incapable buffoon, chum.
It's one of the most remarkably simple languages currently in use worldwide. It's such a sadness that a Starshit babby like yourself thinks they can masquerade as an aesthete while lacking the ability to utilize the basic unit of communication on this site. In other words, if you can't use language correctly, how the fuck do you even know what you are talking about?
>>
>>63270728
>Sorry to here
>you must be slow
Holy shit this is golden.
>>
>>63262820
Brings a tear of joy to my eye every time
>>
>>63270939
Really? Good thing I made that basic typo or else you would have had to actually come up with a reply that was on topic.

Really saved your ass there.
>>
That extended edition any good? No directors cut?
>>
>>63271071
>basic typo
>here instead of hear
That's not a typo bud that's you using the wrong fucking word like an autist. It's like a step beyond saying there instead of their.

I'm not that guy but I'm guessing he realizes you're not worth having an actual conversation with.
>>
>>63271141
>>63270939
Not him, but he's right, you're dodging the argument with ad hominem because he made an insignificant error.
>>
>People actually voted star wars
just go back to reddit. This isn't about opinions, Lord of the Rings are part of film history, they're big epic films with great adventure, action, and lore.

Whereas star wars is utter shit
>>
>>63271133
For LOTR? I got that extended trilogy, more than 11 hours of film goodness. Fellowship benefits the most from it.
>>
>>63271217
>Lord of the Rings are part of film history, they're big epic films with great adventure, action, and lore.
I prefer LOTR but are you implying Star Wars doesn't have all of these things as well? Ok sure Star Wars isn't as "big" as the LOTR films but other than that both are a huge part of film history. In fact Star Wars probably more so.
>>
>>63271179
>insignificant error.
Not really. It calls into question his ability to effectively share ideas. If you can't hold to a simple convention of grammar and spelling, it's not a stretch to believe that he's incompetent and his ideas are suspect.

Then look at how incredibly subjective this post is >>63269977. There is barely anything about the technical reasons as to how Star Wars may be better. It comes down to preferring space fantasy more than sword and sorcery. Both are valid preferences.

There isn't any argument to dodge because it's purely subjective.
>>
>>63271414
>look at how incredibly subjective this post is
>There isn't any argument to dodge because it's purely subjective.
Yet you were the only one butthurt enough to respond to the posts until the guy made a minor spelling error. Getting that hung up on something so unrelated to the topic at hand shows you have a lack of a strong argument.

Now the poster's assertion that ESB and ROTJ are aesthetically different DOES call into question his ideas.
>>
>>63271414
Good God what a dick man. Still can't comment on the aesthetic difference between Empire and Return? BTW it was just a fucking auto correct error. Not that you'll believe me. But it's a bit strange you have to cling to this one mistake in order to avoid a conversation. Rest safely knowing I'm just some fucking retard and you're right no matter what.
>>
>>63262476
Star Wars had a much more lasting effect on film industry and pop culture however LotR has a higher average quality in movies (All above 8/10's imo whereas Star Wars' quality is carried almost solely by the Empire Strikes Back) and is much more impressive both technically and in scale.
>>
>>63271704
He's not really being a dick. Just accept you fucked up.
>>
>>63271704
I never disagreed that there are differences. All I'm saying is that there are, in fact, differences between the three LotR movies as well.

You are probably a fucking retard, but that has nothing to do with this, or am I missing something?
>>
>>63271787
>I never disagreed that there are differences.
See now this is funny. The second you get back on topic you start spouting bullshit. You already said there's not really any aesthetic difference between Empire and Jedi. That's what this conversation was about.

>You are probably a fucking retard, but that has nothing to do with this, or am I missing something?
It's neither hear nor their.
>>
>>63271912
Not really =/= none.
>>
For me is by far LOTR. Simply perfect trilogy, but a lot of credit goes for Tolkien.
I like Star Wars, but its impossible a world build by Lucas match a world build by Tolkien.
But despite being mocked everyday here, i have to give credit to Lucas for creating and directing (first movie) a series of movies that are so loved and popular. Give the man a break.

But lotr is better and it isn't even close. There's so many godlike scenes that its riddiculous.

Too bad that the hobbit turned out shit, i want to revisit Middle Earth soon, i heard the silmarillion are though to be made into cinema, but they could just do the part were Sauron looses his ring, that would be great.
>>
Marvel CU>both those boring shits
>>
>>63270760
Too high or too low?
>>
>>63262476
LOTR are better movies, but Star Wars are more important movies.
>>
Lotr
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.