[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stan Brakhage a shit, seriously. Could a fan please fill me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: brakhage.jpg (152 KB, 421x316) Image search: [Google]
brakhage.jpg
152 KB, 421x316
Stan Brakhage a shit, seriously.

Could a fan please fill me in on what I'm missing?

I want to understand.
>>
he's a hack. even Tarkovsky exposed him
>>
>>63252753
What are you talking about?
>>
I will get back to you in about 3 days when my By Brakhage: An Anthology: Vol 1: Disc 1 shows up
>>
File: tarkosawa.jpg (341 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
tarkosawa.jpg
341 KB, 500x700
>>63252785
So, the leader comes through, the room's heated up, on comes Dog Star Man, Part IV. He starts exploding in Russian the minute the hand painted frames are flickering on the screen, along with the layers of superimposition. He's obviously raging! No one's heard him talk so much since he's been here. He's hammering away in incredibly rapid Russian.

He ran, in the course of an hour and a half, through every argument against my work and any other individual's work that I have ever heard, from the Emperor's New Clothes argument through this-is-too-rapid-it-hurts-the-eyes, through "this is sheer self-indulgence," to "film is only a collaborative art." And in detail, "the color is shit" and "what is this paint? Why do you do this?"
>>
File: I laff.jpg (119 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
I laff.jpg
119 KB, 500x500
>>63252884
>"Why do you do this?"
>>
>>63252884
>tfw ywn witness a truly autist director sperg out at your works
>>
>>63252884
>"what is this paint? Why do you do this?"

My fucking sides. I love tark even more as a person than as a director after reading Sculpting In Time
>>
>>63252971
I bet he felt pretty good about it. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who strives for being understood.
>>
>>63252884
Plebs can't into avant-garde? STOP THE PRESSES!
>>
>>63253105
>tark
>anything but master patrician status

nice try brakhage fanboy
>>
>>63252884
Not surprising, plebs are always instantly repulsed by the sheer dankness of a kino.
>>
>>63253146
But he proved he doesn't have master patrician status by his reaction to Brakhage's films.
>>
>>63253076
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~tstronds/nostalghia.com/TheTopics/Brakhage_and_Tarkovsky.html

The whole of it is amazing, but read the ending to see how Brakhage felt.
>>
It's abstract filmmaking, the equivelant of the stereotype of "modern art"

Basically the films of Brakhage are a means to project your own feelings onto the film, and this creates a symbote art to viewer experience that is rarely replicated, each person projects their own emotions onto the film, and the film subtly leads you towards different emotional states. It's a very personal experiece typically only associated with hallucinogenic drugs.
>>
>>63253343
That was an interesting read, actually. Thank you.
>>
>>63253343
>jealous rage
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.