[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any decent female directors besides Sofia Coppola?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: serve.php.png (1 MB, 1023x988) Image search: [Google]
serve.php.png
1 MB, 1023x988
Are there any decent female directors besides Sofia Coppola?
>>
>>63250860

Kathryn Bigelow, she took James Cameron's sperm and instead of having a child used to mimic his film making skills.
>>
agnes varda and vera chytilova are the only ones that really come to mind
>>
>>63250860
James Cameron's bitch
>>
Angelina Jolie
>>
File: 20XX.jpg (158 KB, 614x978) Image search: [Google]
20XX.jpg
158 KB, 614x978
>>63250883
>Woman taught by one of the best directors in history ends up being mediocre

it's like pottery
>>
>>63250860
>women's humour

There's a reason why they shouldn't direct movies
>>
>>63250860
Sofia capolla sucks, which fucking site am I on? Reddit?
>>
she's only done one good movie
>>
Claire Denis is great.
>>
>>63251021
One movie is more than most women can say.
>>
the chick that made dubsman
>>
>>63250921

You have a strange definition of mediocre
>>
I'm more interested if there are decent female screenwriters. And I don't mean some shitty TV shows.
>>
>>63250860
>thin director
wow bro that fatshaming is not okay here, keep /tv/ safe from triggers like these mkay?
>>
That one who made The Voices
>>
>>63250860

Writer/director Elaine May
>>
Female can't into art a very wise ancient german savant told it
"It is only the man whose intellect is clouded by his sexual impulses that could give the name of the fair sex to that under-sized, narrow-shouldered, broad-hipped, and short-legged race; for the whole beauty of the sex is bound up with this impulse. Instead of calling them beautiful, there would be more warrant for describing women as the un-aesthetic sex. Neither for music, nor for poetry, nor for fine art, have they really and truly any sense or susceptibility; it is a mere mockery if they make a pretence of it in order to assist their endeavor to please. Hence, as a result of this, they are incapable of taking a purely objective interest in anything; and the reason of it seems to me to be as follows. A man tries to acquire direct mastery over things, either by understanding them, or by forcing them to do his will. But a woman is always and everywhere reduced to obtaining this mastery indirectly, namely, through a man; and whatever direct mastery she may have is entirely confined to him. And so it lies in woman's nature to look upon everything only as a means for conquering man; and if she takes an interest in anything else, it is simulated--a mere roundabout way of gaining her ends by coquetry, and feigning what she does not feel. Hence, even Rousseau declared: Women have, in general, no love for any art; they have no proper knowledge of any; and they have no genius."
_ Arthur Schopenhauer, translated by Thomas Bailey Saunders
>>
Is she related to Francis Ford Coppola?
>>
>>63251653
t. world's first r9ker
>>
Leni Riefenstahl
>>
>>63251755
Whitout her father she would be a housewife
>>
File: renoir-luncheon.jpg (254 KB, 1600x1191) Image search: [Google]
renoir-luncheon.jpg
254 KB, 1600x1191
>>63251839

This

Nepotism never produces great artists
>>
>>63251038
At this point I'm surprised even 1 (one) person on /tv/ actually watches movies.
>>
A lot, but why is this even a question when Women weren't given the same opportunities men were throughout history. Women had to use male pen names, sign male nom de plumes on paintings, etc. or else the "establishment" (or patriarchy, if you don't mind being triggered) wouldn't take them seriously. Even if they weren't made housewives, silenced, or made anonymous, women who displayed male traits were confined to nunneries, mental institutions, and in later centuries, lobotomised.

To expect them to have made the same headway as men after being sidelined in such a manner is absurd. They're barely even getting the same treatment as male artists today.
>>
>>63250860
Leni Riefenstahl and Larisa Shepitko were great
also Sofia Coppola is just a case of nepotism
>>
Leni Riefenstahl
Agnes Varda
>>
that lady that made Ravenous
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.