[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the greatest kung-fu film and why is it The Legend of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
What is the greatest kung-fu film and why is it The Legend of Drunken Master?
>>
It really is hard to debate that movie's standing. I watch it every few years and "holy shit" every time.
>>
Because there has never been a form of Kung Fu dreamed up that is even remotely as entertaining as Drunken Boxing. Paired with the comedic and martial talents of Jackie Chan, there was never a chance for any other movie to be greatest.
>>
>>63244385
Isn´t that pic from Drunken Master 2? That fight scene was amazing.
>>
>>63244385
Great film, but I prefer Fist of the White Lotus
>>
>>63244870
>Isn´t that pic from Drunken Master 2?
Yes, it's the The Legend of Drunken Master.
>>
>>63244385
The first one's superior though. Jackie going from a talented goof to being the Drunken Master is a perfect plot structure. I feel like the sequel has to mess around with a bit too much to set things up and the conflict doesn't seem to flow as well for me. The initial goof fights and screwups followed by the training, humbling and success are perfect. I'm not as big on him going back to a screwup and then just getting his blood alcohol to the right level again at the end to save everything. It's still a nice movie but the first one feels much more tight to me.
Also 90's Jackie Chan's weird pro-PRC stuff seemed to come up in Legend, what with the British villains and a use of the term "handover" in a negative context. This doesn't make the movie bad by any means but I think it cheapens his 90's work.
>>
>>63244385

I want to watch this movie, but I hate dubs.
>>
File: 1346193104984.jpg (74 KB, 708x787) Image search: [Google]
1346193104984.jpg
74 KB, 708x787
the matrix
>>
>>63245046
Then watch it with subs...
>>
>>63245053
Great sci-fi film with a bunch of slow, wooden, obviously choreographed martial arts.
>>
>>63245046
I prefer a lot of Hong Kong movies dubbed. I feel like the minor localisations make the humour a bit easier to catch onto and the performances are usually pretty funny. I've never really understood how people can have a problem with dubs, but then I also think there's no such thing as truly bad acting, just odd performances. The first Drunken Master has a great dub.

>>63245053
One of the Matrix video games had an extended tutorial sequence in which you had to re-enact famous movie fight scenes to learn how to fight in different ways. The melee weapons tutorial is the Legend of the Drunken Master fight in OP's pic and the gun tutorial is the opening shootout in Hard Boiled. That game's developers gave no fucks. It was awesome.
>>
I really like Ong Bak
>>
That's not The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter
>>
>>63245130
Ong Bak is great. It's so nice to see an action movie with a sense of humour and no irony. The fights are great too. The series of fights in the bar is probably my favourite post-2000 action scene in a movie.
>>
>>63245162
>detoothing the enemy
Shit's great.
>>
Any other entertaining martial arts like drunken boxing?
Or any kung fu version of Inspector Clouseau?
As in bumbling incompetent but somehow still defeats enemies?
>>
>>63245228
If you like Drunken Master watch Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.

As for a personality you'd like maybe Sammo Hung would appeal to you. He's a big guy.
>>
>>63245228

King of beggars, fucking hilarious.
>>
Shao-Lin vs. Wu-Tang

get on my level,kids
>>
>>63245245
Early Sammo is a great suggestion.
>>
Fist Of Golden Monkey 1983
It's for free on youtube.
Underrated.
It's like all other kung fu/ninja movies wrapped into one, with impressive scenes.
And the plot makes sense.
>>
>>63245307
Enter The Fat Dragon.
>>
Anyone know the one with where the guy beats a drum while another is tested, and he attacked by gets with staffs in different formations?
>>
>>63245046
You're gonna hate this post then
>>
The Raid
>>
>>63245116
dubbing is fucking shit
>>
>>63245281
Man, I got to watch this, love Stephen Chow movies, but can't remember if I watched this one.
>>
>>63245513

all the GOAT movies are better dubbed. I stumbled on a DVD shop in bangkok's chinatown which only sold shaw brothers DVDs and bought about 15 of my favourites, which I had only seen shitty VHS copies of previously. they just weren't the same.
>>
>>63245443
>off by one
>>
hows that the best kung fu movie when its not even the best drunken master? lmao
>>
The first one is slightly but surely better
>>
Talking about dubs, at least it's better than some western movie maker making a whole new movie out of scenes from HK movies.
Just watched something a while back where they made a white guy ninja movie out of HK ghost movie.
>>
>>63245596
I disagree, but if that's what floats your boat then fair enough.
>>
sub > dub
>>
What are your top 5 Jackie Chan movies?
In no particular order mine are:
Drunken Master (first one)
Police Story
Police Story 3
Rumble in the Bronx
Who am I
>>
I can't think of a better one, honestly. Possibly Ip-Man, but I don't think I get as much pure enjoyment out of Ip-Man. I just respect it more.

Even some of my other favorites weren't great movies, but just had a few individually great fight scenes. Way of the Dragon is a great example of this.
>>
File: kung_pow_wimp_lo_zps09cd0415.jpg (139 KB, 803x446) Image search: [Google]
kung_pow_wimp_lo_zps09cd0415.jpg
139 KB, 803x446
We all know that there is only one true answer.
>>
>>63245511
The kitchen Scene in the second is one of the best fight scenes ever
>>
No mention of Miracles, baka desu lads
>>
>>63246030
Never heard of this one before.
>>
>>63244385
It's Legend of the Drunken Master
Because it's directed by Lau Kar Leung
Because it's a comedy action drama
Because Jackie Chan is the best Fei Hun there is, was and will be
Because it ends in a duel in a fucking FIRE FACTORY
Because an invasion of ducks
Because my father is a tyrant
>>
I liked the first drunken master better, though i have to admit that the stepmom in 2 was amazingly funny. The first one just seemed like more of a real fight movie, not a jackie chan fight comedy.
>>
File: 683.gif (564 KB, 800x1080) Image search: [Google]
683.gif
564 KB, 800x1080
>>63244385
Pic related is fucking great.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.