[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The National Board of Review named Fury Road the best film of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
The National Board of Review named Fury Road the best film of the year today.

Do you agree?
>>
>>63242111
Which year? By today do you mean in November or December?
>>
>>63242155
Their annual list was released today. They named it the best film of 2015.
>>
>>63242111
It's not bad, but I don't understand why so many critics love it. It was also in top 10 of Sight & Sound and Cahiers du Cinema lists.
>>
Is the main reason some of /tv/ hates it because of them overplaying the role a feminist had in the production?
>>
>>63242111

>Do you agree?

I have no idea what their criteria for "best" is. It's easily the most singular film I've seen this year in terms of overall vision, but that vision is all noise and action.
>>
>>63242111
It comes number 2 after sicario.
>>
>>63242332

/tv/ hates it because it was insanely popular in the youtube critic circles and people wouldn't say bad things about it. The feminism shit is overrated.
>>
>>63242111
fags dont like it because
>muh feminism
>muh le reddit: le movie
i thought it was a great story
>>
>>63242366
>apologist with victim complex
aside from the blatant SJW pandering, it wasnt a well written movie
it was just a giant SJW advert
>>
>>63242350
>sicaro

TORRENT. WHEN.
>>
>>63242399
Already?
>>
File: 1375391643724.jpg (11 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1375391643724.jpg
11 KB, 251x242
>>63242393
>it stars a woman so it's SJW pandering
>>
>>63242393
>projecting this hard
man i didnt say i didnt agree that it had those tones of feminism and bullshit i just said it was a great story (read car chase) after stating what most faggots parrot about this movie
>>
File: 1448800023126.jpg (434 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
1448800023126.jpg
434 KB, 1425x1425
>>63242111
It was pulpy Un-Australian mediocrity with a Mad Max label but I don't remember enjoying anything this year so whatever.

Feminism has nothing to do with it, Tunisia doesn't look like Australia, the leads weren't charismatic, the constant fast pace and action left no room for the establishing shots of the environment that makes Australian movies great, but then again they weren't in Australia so they couldn't have done that anyway.

Fucking Mad Max 2 with its overrated fucking truck chase ruined everything. Nobody appreciates the first Mad Max. I'm gonna rewatch it tonight while thinking of how much I hate you all.
>>
When people say Fury Road is overhyped, they mean it is INACCURATELY hyped.

The whole movie has become the jacket from Drive.
>>
It was pretty damn good, even though it had many flaws (mainly with wonky CGI and poor editing) it had a lot of heart and you could tell it was a labour of love. Consider how the movie works even though Tom Hardy was being an autistic manbaby about playing the lead. If you consider this SJW pandering then you need to get out more, I reckon.
>>
nobody would have called it feminist, good or bad, if it wasn't advertised that eve ensler (I guarantee nobody on reddit read the vagina monologues lol) helped with it
>>
yes i agree
>>
Fury Road's narrative structure is identical to the entire 6-film Star Wars series - but condensed into a single film, scrubbed of objectionable content, and presented in chronological order so that it ends with the triumph of the unobjectionable rebellion. The meme-elevation of George Miller to greatest living filmmaker is likewise a condensed, inverted version of the ridiculous meme-demonization of figures like George Lucas and Shyamalan.

People who literally do not know what cinematography is now write book-length fantasies about how 'lazy' JJ Abrams is, or devote entire webseries to debating whether Matthew Vaughn is racist. It's a false progressivism based around punishing celebrities' perceived sins - lust, greed, sloth, etc. - via endless twitter campaign.

No nerd has ever gotten insanely mad at (say) Wim Wenders or Jane Campion, and nobody gave a thought about Miller when he made Babe and Happy Feet. But once someone makes a film in a science fiction/superhero franchise universe... God help us all.
>>
>>63242595
well said. reminds me of hideo kojima
>>
>>63242613
I'm actually trying to merge the original and the internet meanings of memes, which basically boils down to "things people like to repeat".

"A big guy for you" is a good meme because people are not endorsing it, and it exists on a solid critical basis.

"Shiny and chrome" is a bad meme because people love it, and also, what the fuck does it mean if you remove the meme? It might as well have been "blerpy and blumpus". Switch out those words in the script and the movie is exactly the same.
>>
>>63242664
"Shiny" was already a meme, sort of, thanks to Joss Whedon. Shiny and meme = Shiny and chrome. It's like poetry.
>>
>>63242595
anon, Babe movies are classics.
Still Millers best work to date.
>>
File: CVKOKmPW4AAJfDv.jpg (54 KB, 599x380) Image search: [Google]
CVKOKmPW4AAJfDv.jpg
54 KB, 599x380
>>
Sure, it was great.
>>
>>63242332
and because shit posting
>>
It wasn't that good.
But it probably has the correct political message.
Since it didn't make money it's irrelevant for Hollywood anyway.
>>
>>63242307
well, I cant speak for any but myself, but I loved Fury Road for many reasons.

The visuals, the use of practical effects, the stunt work, action, I loved the way it sort of plays out like a 2015 version of The General.

I didnt much give the music much thought when I saw it the first time, but it grew on me the second time I saw it.

The story isnt it's strongest point, but it isnt it's weakness either, I would have loved more backstory for Immortan Joe and Furiosa and the story between them, it would have given the ending alot more emotional weight.

As far as feminism goes, I didnt notice much, and the mad max series have always had strong female characters.

Well, I can sum it up with the fact that I havent had that much fun watching a movie in the theatre in many years, as with fury road.
>>
>>63242664
people have repeated lines from movies out of context for half a century.
>play it again sam
>No, I am your father
>squeel like a pig
>I love the smell of napalm in the morning

etc etc.
These have been ridiculed and parodied to death

This is nothing new or revolutionary m8.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.