[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rey is the biggest problem in the new trilogy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 11
File: 1445604227087.gif (361 KB, 327x400) Image search: [Google]
1445604227087.gif
361 KB, 327x400
Rey isnt a good protagonist for a Star Wars trilogy. She is too competent in too many different fields to be the stereotypical protagonist of the Hero's Journey which Star Wars trilogies have molded themselves after.

Rey
>is an orphan
>survives by herself on a barren wasteland of a planet
>is able to jumpstart the falcon on her own
>is skilled in fighting with her staff and in hand to hand combat
>easily stalemates kylo ren after picking up a lightsaber for the first time
>flies the falcon without ever flying a ship before
>evades and destroys tie fighters with the help of finn
>turns the table on kylo ren in a battle of the minds through the force
>CQCs a stormtrooper and takes his gun

Now compare that to luke in ANH
>teenager who bitches and moans about joining the rebellion
>spends all day tinkering with droids and moisture converters
>finds some droids
>gets btfo by a tusken raider
>gets captured by the empire
>escapes with help of friends and obi wan
>reaches rebel base
>helps the rebels kill the death star because hes a great pilot

Luke in ANH wasn't really special other than he was Anakins son and was force sensitive. All he did was shoot some storm troopers and blow up the Death Star, which was lucky since if Han never showed up Vader would have killed Luke.

In the next two movies we see Luke grow as a character. He gets more mature, he learns combat, he learns the force, and he eventually becomes what Anakin could have been if he rejected the dark side.

Rey on the other hand, has no room for character development other than learning the force. She's already incredibly proficient in a myriad of different subjects and seems way too Mary Sue. I do not see any flaws with her character in anything we've been shown during trailers and leaks.

The Hero's Journey goes like this
1. The Call to Adventure
2. Refusal of the Call
3. Supernatural Aid
4. Crossing the Threshold
5. Belly of the Whale
>>
>>63240441
Fuck, even Anakin has something of an arc, depending on your point of view
>>
6. The Road of Trials
7.approach to innermost cave
8. Ordeal
9. Reward
10. The road back

A lot of shit right? There are more steps but im only using the ones that apply to the first movie since thats what im basing Rey off of as well.

Luke legitimately went through all of these things, from the
>Call to Adventure by Obi Wan
>refusal when Luke says he cant since he has responsibility
>supernatural aid where Obi Wan scares the tuskens
>crossing the threshold when the farm burns down from Stormtropers
>Belly of the whale in the Death Star
>road of trials on the death star escape where he watches obi wan die
>Approach to innermost cave on the Death Star assault
>Ordeal where Vader is killing all his squadmates and is about to kill him
>reward where han saves the day and luke blows up the death star
>and the road back where everyone reunites now that the day is saved
>>
Now paraphrasing what happens to rey but it mostly goes like this

>finds bb8
>finds finn
>jumpstarts the falcon and flies it away with finn blasting tie fighters
>escapes the ties
>gets picked up by han
>goes to a planet
>get accosted by gang
>rey fights them hand to hand and with staff
>escapes gang
>little yoda thing has the lightsaber
>gives it to rey
>kylo comes, beats everyone up and takes rey
>tries to read her mind but rey turns it back on him a la harry potter and severus snape
>escapes
>fights kylo on the planet after han dies
>defeats him and escapes
>brings luke the lightsaber

So, absolutely nothing in that sequence has anything to do with the hero's journey. Rey doesnt grow except when she decides its right for her to use the force and battle kylo.

Rey offers nothing, shes bland, mary sueish, and is way too far into the Strong Woman archetype.

I do not believe that these movies will be good, i think the direction they went in is shit. I also believe taking out what made star wars great (the heros journey/monomyth) is incredibly passe and fucking idiotic. Especially when the prequels actually went really damn medieval with their interpretation of the monomyth (the older monomyth has the temptation of woman and meeting with the goddess right where anakin meets padme.

All in all Rey fucking sucks as a character and is yet another boring stereotypical strong woman Mary Sue character that has no character progression in the movie and for the forseeable future.

Source: http://millenniumfalcon.com/index.php
>>
>>63240441
did the script leak or something
>>
>>63240806
yea http://millenniumfalcon.com/index.php
>>
>>63240441
its because they wouldnt want a girl showing weakness or looked at as being simple
meh
I dont want another Luke Skywalker in the 50,000th rendition of the Heroes Journey. Lets have something new for a change,
>>
>>63240944
>lets have something new
>its just a shittier version of the original
there's a reason the hero's journey is an ancient archetype and that's because its compelling and promote character growth
>>
>>63240944
An invincible character that can't lose isn't new, it's just boring
>>
Also id like to add that there are elements of the heros journey in the force awakens. however the elements are merely in the background. There is no character development, and that is what the heros journey is about.
>>
>>63240441
JJ's trademark is not understanding what makes a franchise popular and just turning it into Transformers.
>>
>>63241010

There's too many fucking characters. ANH was all about Luke, the other characters were sprinkled in to either give him additional context or to push the story along. In TFA you're splitting screen time between a half dozen characters, at least 2 of those don't need to be there at all and a third should be relegated to supporting character status.
>>
>>63240944
>>63240982
Oh, so she doesn't get captured? She doesn't accept her fate as a Jedi?

I guess she just stays a scavenger on Jaaku, right?
>>
>>63241069
agreed and it was a huge fuck up by abrams. i know /tv/ shits on plinkett reviews but i really want one in the same style of episode 1 where he asks his friends to explain the new force awakens characters to someone whos never seen star wars before
>>
>>63241101
her character development is literally just that though. going from scavenger to jedi. she never grows she just decides at the end to be a jedi because kylo killed han and is going to kill finn. thats it
>>
>>63240473

>depending on your point of view
>>
JJ is trying to one up Katniss but Katniss was already a bit of a sue
>>
If what OP is saying is true then holy fucking shit this is going to be a rough December. Normies will go ga ga over her though, they don't care about Mary Sues they think any character who is the lead in a big budget movie is good
>>
>>63241414
Those leaks were all true so yeah, she's that bad
>>
>>63241132
>going from scavenger to jedi. she never grows

You really need to read what you just posted a few times.
>>
>>63241464
i just wrote an entire paper on this. her growth is literally one thing, deciding to use the force. she doesnt learn anything during the adventure, she can already fight people, pilot starships, beat up stormtroopers, mindrape kylo, shes a fucking mary sue. the one thing that changes in the whole movie is "yeah im going to be a jedi now"
>>
>>63240786
THIS

A THOUSAND FUCKING TIMES THIS

Boyega has always been a dog whistle to rile racists up in order to distract them from the fact that this new trilogy is basically going to be /r/Le Stronk Womyn.

Kathleen Kennedy and JJ Abrams are practically frothing at the mouth for the new movies to be girl-centric and something for young girls to look up to, and it means that there is no chance for Rei to be portrayed as anything other than Mary-Sue.txt

This movie is not going to be pleasant.
>>
File: Fixer.jpg (88 KB, 370x278) Image search: [Google]
Fixer.jpg
88 KB, 370x278
>>63240441
>She...
>>
>>63241848
yep its going to be WOMAN STRONG WOMAN DO ANYTHING WOMAN WANT, NO MAN CAN TAME WOMAN
>>
File: good goy.gif (2 KB, 171x199) Image search: [Google]
good goy.gif
2 KB, 171x199
This leak is bullshit. I'm pretty sure JJ has everyone snowed and his face looks like this right now. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if I am though.
>>
>>63241824
>I wrote an entire paper about a character in a movie that I haven't even seen.

Man. You have officially raised the bar on idiocy.
>>
>>63242058
im going off leaked material that has been proven right many times.
>>
>>63242016
Why wait when you can just do it now
>>
>>63242088
>going by leaks

The potato is strong with this one.
>>
>>63242106
I haven't seen it yet.
>>
>>63242116
yea youre right all the leaks are wrong even though theyve correlated with every trailer, tv spot, magazine feature out there
>>
Rey is luke's daughter. She can fight because Luke was training her, as well as her cousin Kylo Ren. That`s why she can fight. But then after kylo was taken by snoke, luke left to go search for him, and he mind warped rey to keep her from following him
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 669x664) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 669x664
If the woman isn't competence, she is just a damsel in distress. Can we get PAST this tired trope? I'm tired of seeing pigs run the movies.
>>
>>63242150
>straw man argument

How many extra chromosomes do you have?
>>
>>63242150
They're just living in denial, once they see it reality will set in and they'll realize they wasted 2 hours of their lives on a movie they knew was bad but refused to believe
>>
>>63242165
that just seems like a huge cop out
>>
>>63242150
Probably because Lucasfilm put them out. JJ has duped you all and you're going to feel like an idiot.
>>
>>63242199
im not sure, how many shekels is disney paying you?
>>
>>63240982
>character is pretty good at a few things
>invincible
????
>>
>>63242247
>gets called out for a logical fallacy
>comes back with a "you work for Disney" quip

It's like you're not even trying at this point.
>>
>>63242286
>logical fallacy

Ive been going off leaks, which i have stated. Does that mean its 100% true? No, however Ive chosen to believe them since the evidence is there. Why you have to shit up the thread going nuh uh, nuh uh, nuh uh is curious as to why you care this much
>>
If the leaks turn out to be real, I'll be moderately satisfied with the film. Star Wars has never been the epitome of film-making, especially not the scripts. Rey may wind up somewhat generic, but there are still 2 more movies for her to grow as a character.

Star Wars has always been about immersing myself into the universe. Since I was a kid, I'd play the video games, read some of the books, and watch the cartoons not in the hopes of incredible authorship, but in the hopes of a "feelgood" adventure with a good amount of action and humour.

I don't know why most of you are as upset as you are. You probably just have your expectations set way too high.
>>
>that face

Jesus christ how horrifying
>>
>>63242330
What is the evidence, exactly? Links to confirmation perhaps?
>>
>>63242264
its not just a few things shes pretty much perfect in the story
>>
>>63242364
>confirmed for not reading the OP

there are many leaks, i referenced this one

http://millenniumfalcon.com/index.php
>>
>>63242339
the leaks are legit, they are coming from two completely different sources and they both tell the same thing.

the two sources are http://millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9790 and another site that was posted like 2 nights ago
>>
File: Daniel-200w.jpg (63 KB, 200x261) Image search: [Google]
Daniel-200w.jpg
63 KB, 200x261
>>63242330
>however Ive chosen to believe them

So, you're argument is based on belief? Thanks for undermining your "facts". It saved me the trouble. You won the argument for me.

>wondering why the other person cares so much when you care so much

Pic related
>>
>people find it hard to believe the story leaked when we're 2 weeks out
>in [current year]

Maybe if it was a year ago I'd understand the skepticism but let's face facts here.
>>
>>63242406
>reads op, no links of any sort are present

>>63242411
And what's your take on them, then? Are you going to throw the baby out with the bathwater and dismiss any childlike fun you could have with these movies because the main character is an (surprise) Abrams-esque character?
>>
>>63242418
top lel you have to work for disney. no one is this autistic. are you that bootyblasted that the scripts leaked? or are you just some faggot stroking his cock to the amount of internet arguments he's "won".
>>
>>63242474
this isn't reddit you fucking faggot

you're expected to know shit already
>>
Between the SW leaks and Project M finally dying today has been an amazing day
>>
>>63242474
>childlike fun

I'm 26, I'm not satisfied with bad writing and bad characters like I was when I was 5 and didn't give a shit
>>
>>63242474
the Op is three parts

>>63240441
>>63240609
>>63240786
>>
>>63242492
If you think I work for Disney, then you credibility is even further diminished.

I have never seen someone destroy their own reputation in debate so much as you. Are you Trump?
>>
>>63242529
>reputation
>anonymous internet forum
>ad hominem

so you keep attacking me, you think i literally believe you work for disney, you think i have something to prove with you, you called out Trump, and all this means youre probably a reddit fuckstick. go back home to your hugbox
>>
>>63242513
Didn't notice, sorry. Just wanted to scroll down and see what everybody was currently saying. Thanks though. Gave the script a read.
>>
>>63242474
dude, i i don't WANT to know the spoilers, but i have no choice. /tv/ is going to be riddled with spoilers, i rather take them by my own hand, because then at least i wont by angry and upset like if someone else had spoiled it
>>
>>63240819

I feel for so many people that are going to get spoiled by this shit.
>>
>>63242721
I'm buying my megaphone tomorrow

>KYLO REN IS HAN'S SON AND KILLS HAN

And then I drive away
>>
>>63242652
I'd say just avoid /tv/ but as a short-time lurker and first-time poster here I wouldn't know whether or not it's difficult to not return here.
>>
>>63240786
I agree. For me I just don't get that star warsy feeling. It's using the iconic Star Wars things but it looks exactly like the new Star Treks.

Seems like they're going for the completely mindless shaky cams, hyper action at all times and splosions
>>
Her arc is learning to trust others, opening up to them.

Goes from being annoyed by Finn to willing to die for him.
>>
>>63242571
>whining about being attacked
>and all this means youre probably a reddit fuckstick. go back home to your hugbox

Well, we can add "hypocrite" to your credentials.
>>
>>63242842

oh she's gonna open up to Finn... IF YA KNOW WHAT I MEAN
>>
>>63243096
No, I don't. Please elaborate in detail.
>>
>>63242760
Fucking film put it up youtube titled "Rick Astely- Never Gunna Give You Up With The Whole Star Wars Cast" and put a chick with huge cleavage in the thumbnail
>>
>>63242760
You have to do it at the cinema at release night when all those spergs wait there in their dumb costums and film it. The reaction would be pure gold.
>>
>>63240944
Fucking C U CK
>>
>>63240441
I doubt Jew Jew Abrams even bothered reading Campbell on how heroes are made. He's just in for the lens flare and le witty dialogue.
Surprised he didn't bring Cumberbatch into this mess.
>>
You people talk like you've seen the movie already.
>>
>>63243483
/tv/ does this even when the movie is out, available for viewing and they still haven't watched it.
>>
>>63243105
BIG BLACK DICK
>>
>>63242016
I think JJ was snowed in the face when he wrote this script
>>
>>63240441
Her Mary-sue qualities are pretty predictable. The more human they would have made her, the more Feminists would bitch about it.

I expect the most we'll get out of her are occasional emotional outbursts, which Im sure some dyke on tumblr will whine about how females are stereo-typically prone to crying in movies during emotional scenes.
>>
>>63242721
>giving a shit about plot except to laugh at bad ones

THIS is pleb detector 101.
>>
>>63242058
Why can't you people just accept the new movie's obviously going to be shit?
I like SW too but come on.
>>
>>63243483
>he watches films
>>
>>63242760

So Kylo is NotJacen? Fucking JJ
>>
>>63242760
Do this.
>>
>Abrams is a hack
Absolutely shocking anon, who could've possibly seen this coming?
>>
>>63242165
>snoke
What?
>>
>>63244338
>http://millenniumfalcon.com/index.php

They kept Leia as a force sensitive. Kind of surprised with Kasdan on the script
>>
>>63244338

the crux of the movie is that she gives the lightsaber back to luke.

hilarious. I know its anakins lightsaber but jesus fuck JJ, this is fucking retarded.
>>
>>63244362
>He doesn't know snoke
>>
>>63244487
I know who he is I just can't get over the fact that's what Abrams decided to call the main bad guy in his new star wars movies. That's far worse then any stupid name Lucas ever came up with, Sheev seems like fucking genius compared to god damn Snoke.
>>
File: 1412008311060.jpg (74 KB, 690x665) Image search: [Google]
1412008311060.jpg
74 KB, 690x665
>>63240441
will you please spoiler this woman's face next time op? jesus, it's like a nightmare
>>
Why does anyone give a fuck about a damn lightsaber? Did HackHack give them extra magical powers? Why is there so much importance about a space lazer sword? Weapons break all the time and people get new ones. RotJ starts with Luke having a new sword and no one says a damn thing about it.
>>
>>63244518
Wait till you find out that he's a snake-like alien
>>
>>63244668
That's cool, it's the name that's stupid. Also where the fuck did he come from I though there were only 2 sith? What in the fuck was the point of the original trilogy then? GOD DAMN YOU ABRAMS!
>>
>>63240441
>misogyny

Not a good look on anyone, anon. You might wanna try something else
>>
>>63244691
>That's cool
>Snake alien called Snoke
More like poetry
>>
>>63244692
>accusing everyone who's opinion you disagree with of misogyny

Not a good look on anyone, anon. You might wanna try something else.
>>
>>63244630

If notes are real then Kylo = Jacen would make him grandson of Darth Vader. So him wanting the lightsaber makes sense.

Not sure if rey is the sister or not yet, probably is.

They stole pieces from ANH, the opening village scene is straight out of zahn's Allegiance

and other parts could literally be borrowed literally from Legacy books.

JJ literally stole all of his ideas it looks like. What doesn't make sense in the leaks is I see no mention of Phasma
>>
>>63244704
Aw shit I didn't even see that, fuck I'm dumb.
>>
File: 1446136316744.jpg (86 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1446136316744.jpg
86 KB, 600x800
>>63242529
>If you think I work for Disney, then you credibility is even further diminished.
>I have never seen someone destroy their own reputation in debate so much as you. Are you Trump?
>Are you Trump?

Hello Reddit!
>>
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 487x365) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 487x365
>>63240441
You've actually seen a film to come up with the thread like this right ?
>>
Read all of this in Plinkett's voice.
>>
>>63240441
Can you stop posting this moronic image? Shit's hella gay man...
>>
File: 1417994150708.jpg (58 KB, 502x432) Image search: [Google]
1417994150708.jpg
58 KB, 502x432
>>63240441

I keep telling you:

Rey ain't Luke.

She's Anakin, her grandfather, and will be on the path to the Dark Side by the end of VII
>>
keks desu f
>>
Are you all fucking dense? Disney as the fucking titan it is would instantly make those "leaks" dissapear as soon as they came out like they did back in may, they didnt even care. Wake the fuck up people and assume we are all in the dark and ignorant to this movie.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2156) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2156
>>63240441
>Rey
>protagonist
Look at this poster. Shes a bad guy
>>
>>63240441
reminder that the new Star Wars film is literally going to make Jim Cameron seem like William Shakespeare with his reworking of Pocahontas in space.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.