[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was he fucking with this guy so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 4
File: 77219175812095801.png (1 MB, 1353x572) Image search: [Google]
77219175812095801.png
1 MB, 1353x572
Why was he fucking with this guy so much?
>>
Because the Cohen's like dumb anecdote scenes.
>>
Spics gonna spic.
>>
Chigurh is an agent of fate and chance. This man in front of him never risked anything his entire life, and he's perfectly content with that. Chigurh can't stand that and forces him to make a life or death call to show that everyone is a slave to chance
>>
Why was he so autistic about the guy putting the quarter in his pocket?
>>
>>63237348
Patrician respond
/thread
>>
>>63237380

Because it was the coin that saved his life. He didn't want it mixed in with his other change, only to be spent on a gumball machine or something.
>>
the guy who owned the store was a cvck who inherited everything in his life from his wife's family.
>>
>>63237212
They're usually great, though.
>>
>>63237466
Patrician respond
/thread
>>
>>63237259
cept for hes iranian you stupid racist asshole who doesnt even pay attention to detail in a movie with little distractions. you fucking faggot pleb
>>
Wasn't he supposed to be Russian?
It's some stupid retard thing in their snow monkey brains that doesn't make sense to regular humans
>>
>>63237519
calm down, beaner.
>>
>>63237159
chigurh doesnt have a sense of humor
>>
>>63237519
when does the movie say he's Iranian?
>>
He was genuinely autistic
>muh coin
>>
>>63237528
>that doesn't make sense to subhumans
ftfy, shitskin.
>>
>>63237348
Shit lads, we got a patrician in the thread. I thought Chigurh was just a dick.
>>
>>63237519
he's a french canadian.
>>
File: walg no benis.png (19 KB, 896x644) Image search: [Google]
walg no benis.png
19 KB, 896x644
>>63237519
>A man named Anton is Iranian
>>
>>63237159
Oh shit never noticed the wrong time period beef jerky. That makes me sad.
>>
>>63237616
Fuck, now I want to Feed My Wild Sideā„¢
>>
>>63237466
Yeah this. And then he's got the balls to be all nosy about where Chigurh's from or what he's up to? Go fuck yourself pal. Anton was right to fuck with him, that was obvious from the get. And also funny as hell.
>>
>>63237567
Patrician respond
/thread
>>
Anton was the embodiment of this almost nihilistic conception of utterly meaningless and mundane death that permeates through our society in the most innocuous and mundane reaches of the world as shown in that particular scene.

Anton was the force that brought the threat of a detached, apathetic death to each character. That scene where he kills Woody Harrelson is a perfect example, where the phone rings right before he shoots him. He regards the act of killing him in the same way he regards being taken slightly off guard by a phone suddenly singing. He deals with both situations with the same detached apathy
>>
>>63237348
No he's just a sadistic asshole. The coin toss or being an "agent of fate" are how he rationalizes it.
>>
>>63237688
Patrician respond
/thread
>>
>>63237812
It's one and the same. He is what he thinks he is, up until that last scene. This is why he is so threatening to the viewer - he has almost metaphysical properties. The ending grounds him and shows he's subject to the same "rules" as everyone else (although taking that bullet had a similar if weaker effect)
>>
>>63237775
Patrician respond
/thread
>>
File: 1448127530352.jpg (100 KB, 581x663) Image search: [Google]
1448127530352.jpg
100 KB, 581x663
>>63237420
>>63237576
Man this samefagging made me deeply sad.
>>
>>63237775
I think he is the opposite and puts much greater emphasis on the significance of a person's death, with all that leads up to it, almost as a spectacle of their lives up until that point. If it were truly meaningless he wouldn't approach them with dialogue before killing them each time, asking how their lives led to the point where they're about to die. He has woven every single action into a yarn that unravels with the eventuality that is the other person's death. This is why it is so jarring for him at the end when he is struck by a completely anticlimactic event that almost kills him (the violent car crash on a quiet street). He is struck by how his own demise could come about with such suspense and through such a chaotic occurrence, in stark contrast to those he killed.
>>
>>63238009
Are you dumb? There's someone replying "patrician respond" to a bunch of posts.
>>
>>63237447
Pretty sure gum ball machines cost more than a quarter
>>
>>63238312

Not in the 70s
>>
>>63237159
Because he realized that he was short on the cost for his snack (he didn't have 69 cent), so he tricked the guy and only gave him a quarter.
>>
>>63237348
But then it's not chance, Chigur forced that situation. The man also had risked a lot as evidenced by his missing middle finger.
>>
>>63239628
kek
>>
It wasn't something the guy did or said or was that triggered Anton. That's just the way Chigurh is. He kills people because they "see" him and views himself as a kind of mythical incarnation of Death.

With the way McCarthy writes, he may have even been intended to be a supernatural character. He was definitely intended to be inhuman-seeming.

He kills anyone he meets and doesn't really need a reason to do so. The question you should be asking is why did he let people live?

1. Why did he let the man in the gas station live?

I'd say it's because he was using the coin as a rationalization for death. He wanted to create the illusion that his victims were in control, that it was the coin/the choice of the victim doing the killing and not Chigurh himself. When the coin flips heads, he has to let the man live in order to sustain his delusion.

2. Why did he let the kids on the bikes live at the end of the film?

This one's more complicated. I read a very good argument long ago that it has something to do with the way he kills people who "see" him. When the man in the office asks "Are you going to kill me?" he responds, "Do you see me?" The answer is clearly yes and the man dies.

Before leaving the kids, he says "You never saw me." This whole scene is very interesting because it breaks the pattern we've seen with Chigurh. He's not killing, he's not in control, and he seems as much a victim of the chaotic violence of the world as everyone else.
>>
>>63240878
good analysis

but it will fade from /tv/

like tears in the rain

I also felt like he was choosing to corrupt the kids. On a practical level, killing them would attract too much attention, especially as he's just been injured. And it is also true that he wasn't "seen" - to the kids he's just some dude that's been hit by a car. Maybe a little weird in insisting to pay for a shirt, but you give people like that a little slack.
>>
>>63238312

Was at the mall on Thursday, still a quarter.
>>
>>63239628
patrician respond
>>
>>63239628
I'm retarded for enjoying this so much. Just imagining Chigurh going through that thought process of realizing he doesn't have enough, so that he'll just mess with him with the quarter he has.
>>
>>63240878

the fat woman at the trailer park was deemed worthy of living for refusing to give Sugar Lewelyn's information despite his menacing glare. same reason Llewelyn's girlfriend lived. by refusing to toss the coin she was showing that she wasn't afraid of death.

with the exception of the situations where Sugar's situation was made easier by killing the person, it was the people who feared death that Sugar killed.
>>
>>63241053

this is made clear in his conversation with Carson, where he talks about the rule he followed leading him there. the idea is that a person's rules, or principles, should be what determines the conditions of their death
>>
>>63240878
Here's your reply for a well thought out post.
>>
He was God.
>>
>>63241053
Didn't Chigurh wipe his shoes after leaving Lewelyn's gf's house? Pretty sure she's dead.
>>
>>63241145
maybe the floors were dirty
>>
>>63241167
With blood.

Maybe you're an optimist
>>
>>63241145

it's left ambiguous
>>
>>63241177
Well no, Chigurh realized he commited a social faux pas by not taking his boots off inside her home. So when he left, he wanted to make sure his boots weren't dirty just to know whether or not he had left a mess.
>>
The reason Chigurh forces him to make the coin flip is the same reason he offers lewellyns wife the coin flip at the end. He uses the coin as a way to distance himself as a hitman from his personal urges for blood or for mercy.
>>
>>63241239
My take, bearing in mind that I haven't seen the film since its release, was the coin toss was a way of deciding people's fate through chance, which is completely random. He doesn't believe in good or bad, or decide what's moraly sound or not,rather he relies on a 50/50 chance with the coin flip.
>>
>>63241736

did you even watch the fucking movie krager

he killed Moss wife on principal cause he didn't return him the money
>>
>>63241736
she wouldnt play the coin game
>>
>>63241364

>doesn't believe in good or bad
>forces people to have a 50% chance of being murdered
>>
>>63241853
Its about fate to him, a coin flip cant be good or evil, its a 50/50 chance, it has nothing to do with justice or karma, its simply random chance
>>
Why did no one just tackle Chigurh when he suggests his ridiculous game? You know you got a homicidal freako maniac in front of you. Just take your chances and tackle him. Try to gouge an eye out.
>>
>>63241853
Clearly missed the point as >>63242079 said.

A coin toss is about as objective as it gets. It's just heads or tails.
>>
>>63242274
Actually it's 51/49 odds not 50/50. Chigurh should've carried around a mini-computer or something.
>>
File: hurtbutt.gif (120 KB, 600x487) Image search: [Google]
hurtbutt.gif
120 KB, 600x487
>>63237519
>>
>>63242299
lol! Is there more weight on one side of a coin or something?
>>
>>63237348
This is true. It was made a lot more clear in the book.
>>
>>63242312

Yes, anon saw it on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/3uwufv/til_that_flipping_a_coin_isnt_actually_5050_but/
>>
>>63242312
>63 / 3 / 43 / 1
Yes.
>>
why didnt mosses wife just make a run for it while he was flipping the coin?
>>
>>63242362
This is very troubling

Upboat if you get the reference
>>
>>63237348
No, Chigurh is a psychopath who lives by an internal set of rules that he can't violate. He is disgusted by this man and wants to murder him but he has no 'good reason' to do so. So he makes him (and probably other innocent people at some point in his life) flip a coin to get around the 'rules'.
>>63241239
this guy said it better
>>
>>63241239
no rewatch the scene

he tells carla he has to kill her because of a promise he made to moss, she tells him he doesnt have to etc and he flips the coin and says

"its the best i can do"

so hes giving her an out with the coin toss to let fate decide.

he doesnt flip the coin for any mexicans, or wells, or the guy that hired him
>>
>>63241180
Nah, Llewyn's wife is 100% dead
>>
>>63240878
I always thought the guy in the office was smart enough to say no, since he just saw Stephen Root get shot in the throat.
>>
>>63242362
I posted that
>>
>>63237159
he didn't have any money to buy gas, so he did all that shit to steal the gas while making the dude be happy that he is alive.
>>
>>63242446
>No, Chigurh is a psychopath who lives by an internal set of rules

you and some other posters are missing my point. There is his character (murderous nutjob) and there is his role (avatar of chance). He perceives himself as the latter while being the former. He acts in the latter capacity throughout the movie. I'm not saying he WAS a messenger of fate, I'm saying that was his "role" as it were
>>
>>63242852
Gotcha, totally agree.
>>
>>63240681
>Chigur forced that situation
yes because he's crazy. But he has a justification
>>
>>63240878
I don't agree with that at all.
First of all Chigurh was far from supernatural. He gets shot, he is limping, injured, forced to retreat and so on. inhuman, yes, but not supernatural.
Secondly, he fucks with the gas station guy because he was sticking his nose in his business and that's a major offense against his principles that he couldn't just tolerate. The coin toss was because it was his idea of fairness, giving a chance for the other one. The same way he offered a deal to Llewelyn, that he will let his gf go, if he brings him back the money. Not him, because taking the money was already a lethal offense that had to be punished no matter what. So that was his 'best offer'.The kids got away because he made a deal with them. He bought a cloth from them, so it was a fair deal and Chigurh respects fair deals above anything, that's just how his twisted mind works, it's practically on the same principle when he takes back the money for that guy, when he could just kill him and keep the money for himself. But he didn't because there was the original deal that had to be kept.
>>
>>63241053
>>63241145
>>63241180
Not at all, the gf clearly dies (in the book).
>>
>>63237159

Because he's a certifiable psychopath?
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.