[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Hobbit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: hobbit-2.jpg (18 KB, 309x237) Image search: [Google]
hobbit-2.jpg
18 KB, 309x237
Much like his version of King Kong, the Peter Jackson version of the Hobbit is a bloated, self indulgent mess with more fan fiction than source material and what it did take from the source material, it changed for the worse pointlessly.

If anyone here wants to watch the Hobbit then there is only one correct choice. The 1985 Soviet adaptation. Ha, no really it is the 1977 Rankin Bass version. It takes liberties with design & truncates certain sections but stays remarkably true to the book.
>>
I don't give a fuck about staying faithful to a fucking book. When I watch a movie, I want to be entertained. But with that being said, I liked the animated version better too.
>>
>>63236958
I like this verison too. I like all animated films during this time period
>>
>>63237290
Ever see that other Rankin Bass tv movie which came out the same year as The Last Unicorn? I think it's called Flight of Dragons. James Earl Jones voices an evil wizard in that one.
>>
>>63236958
>bloated, self-indulgent, with more fan fiction than source material
You realize that "it's different than the source" isn't actually a criticism, right? Was The Shining self-indulgent?
>>
>>63237401
>devil's advocate
*tips*
>>
>>63237016
shut the fuck up.
>>
>>63237401
Okay fine. It took a relatively concise adventure shorter than any one part of LOTR and stretched into three movies with moar fight scenes, chases, love triangles and other hackneyed nonsense of that sort. The parts of the book where Bilbo actually shows competence were changed so now Gandalf finds the Troll treasure and Smaug sees through his magic ring and here comes another long chase scene.

and yes Stephen King hates Kubrick's interpretation of his book. And no that one doesn't bother me because The Hobbit is a far more important story than the Shining ever will be.
>>
>>63236958
lol that movie was awful and made in 5 weeks
>>
>>63236958
>the Hobbit is a bloated, self indulgent mess

So was LOTR
>>
>>63237613
You probably haven't made your bed in five weeks. Pint goes to Rankin Bass.
>>
>>63237630
>people WILL fall for this
>>
>>63237630
>So was LOTR
That was Tolkien's fault though, not Jackson's and is why I've only read LOTR twice but read the Hobbit countless times.
>>
>>63237595
>The Hobbit is a far more important story

It's a silly children's story, you colossal faggot.
>>
>>63237355
Flight of the Dragons was pretty good and it was neat how the dragons were basically organic hot air balloons. On the other hand, you can clearly see the beginnings of SCIENCE! memery in the movie's hamfisted "hurr fantasy isn't real, so do your math homework" message
>>
>>63237738
point being?
>>
>>63237738
It launched an entire genre of western literature you fucking pleb
>>
>>63237738
>It's a silly children's story
Which is why turning it into an epic saga with three sequels was a bad idea
>>
>>63237776
>The Hobbit is the first western fantasy book ever written

Tolkeinfags actually believe this.
>>
>>63237833
>didn't even read the post

>inb4 merely pretending
>>
>watching movies based on books
Wew lad
>>
>>63237891
>not watching Kubrick films
wew lad
>>
WHERE THERE'S A WHIP
*crack*
THERE'S A WAY

WHERE THERE'S A WHIP
*crack*
THERE'S A WAY
>>
>>63237945
NO! No. That is the Rankin Bass version of LOTR, which I think we can all agree is shit.
>>
>>63237986
WE DON'T WANNA GO TO WAR TODAY
BUT THE LORD OF THE LASH SAYS NEY NEY NEY
>>
File: 1427079014916.png (131 KB, 249x250) Image search: [Google]
1427079014916.png
131 KB, 249x250
>>63237630
LOTR is supposed to be a fantasy epic based off of early english lyrical poems and other epics in northern european cultures.

The hobbit is comparatively bare bones compared to the amount of fluff JRPG Tolkien puts into his trilogy. It is mostly about a little hobbit leaving his home with strangers to go on an adventure. You can very clearly see the inklings of LOTR in the Hobbit, as it tries to set up the overarching elements of each story (hobbits, the one ring, Gandalf, ect), but the story itself is much more condensed.

>>63237738
>barely above YA-tier book
>better than one of the most comfy books ever written
please

Tito Jackson's Hobbit should've been more lighthearted, but he went with silly, it should've been about the fucking hobbit, but he let his previous success with the LOTR movies dictate his decisions on the hobbit, so he shoved in a bunch of stupid scenes meant only to connect the hobbit movies to the lord of the rings movies, his movie should've been more character-driven, but instead he threw in a bunch of stupid action segments that in now way inform the plot or the characters.
>>
>>63238083
Here is your reply.
>>
File: Elmer_in_Rabbit_Fire_(1951).png (24 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Elmer_in_Rabbit_Fire_(1951).png
24 KB, 200x200
>>63238043
Oh yeah? Two can play this game...

THE G-R-R-R-E-E-E-A-A-A-TEST ADVENTUR-R-R-E
IS WHAT LIES AHE-E-E-AD
TODAY AND TOMORROW
ARE YET TO BE S-A-A-A-ID
>>
>>63238161
Here is YOUR reply.
>>
File: mfw no lotr thread.jpg (41 KB, 613x400) Image search: [Google]
mfw no lotr thread.jpg
41 KB, 613x400
best LOTR in-depth video guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHoJSgq6mqc
>>
>>63237401
>You realize that "it's different than the source" isn't actually a criticism, right?
Yes, it is, you foul peasant. Jackson promised to keep true to the books. He did not.

>Was the Shining self-indulgent
Kubrick at no times made any indication that he was making a one-for-one translation of the Shining.
>>
>>63238187
>yfw the cartoon hobbit had better music than Howard Shore's phoned in hobbit score
>>
>let me just rewatch the hobbit, I'll skip through the parts I don't like
>oh a big pointless cgi intro
>hey its radaghast and his cgi hedgehog
>wargs can't catch rabbits xp
>single sentence about giants extended into cgi drama
>have a pointless cgi goblin chase
it's scary how it gets even worse in the 2nd one
>>
>>63238219
They even get the lyrics correct though I usually skip them in the books. all part of that Tolkien bloat mentioned earlier and why the Hobbit is superior. There's less bullshit like "and then they came to the house of so and so and lodged there for two months. On the third week they were just finishing supper when they said Sam, sing us one of your songs" and then it's 18 pages of song lyrics that have nothing to do with anything.
>>
>>63238352
Fucking sam
>>
>>63237355
No, I'll look it up. The Last Unicorn was epic as fuck when I was a little kid
>>
>>63238309
>single sentence about giants extended into cgi drama
I actually liked that scene. It was more of a paragraph really and it's important because it's the reason they have to take shelter in the mountain.
>>
>>63239066
The fact that there is a fucking storm and it's night isn't a good enough reason?
>>
> Ending of RotK
> "Finally..I have finished The Lord of the Rings"

Fucking really, Jackson?
>>
Jackson blatantly ripped off scenes from the animated films in the 80s. The shot where the hobbits hide under the log from the black rider is a complete steal.
>>
The first Hobbit film was decent, second one was worse but still watchable, third was utter trash with the only good part being Alfred.
>>
>>63241374
They also stole a ton of designs from Alan Lee and John Howe
>>
>>63242168
>alfred
>good
>>
>>63237016

The thing is, Peter Jackson hobbit ain't even entertaining. It's long, stupid and ugly.
>>
>>63238730
I actually got to meet and talk to Peter Beagle earlier this year. Pretty cool guy.
>>
Are there random lore-violating coons in the soviet version too?
>>
File: 1420641767168.png (1 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1420641767168.png
1 MB, 1024x576
>Go north. Find the Dunedain. There’s a young ranger amongst them. You should meet him. His father Arathorn was a good friend. His son might grow to be a great one. He is known in the wild as Strider. His true name... you must discover for yourself. Legolas! Your mother loved you.
>>
>>63245399
Like Tolkein's prose
>>
File: 3453458978.png (153 KB, 709x625) Image search: [Google]
3453458978.png
153 KB, 709x625
>>63245507
>I have better prose than Tolkein because I am a sophisticated erudite meme

It's just like the

>Hitler did a terrible job in WWII because I am an accomplished military commander
meme.

It might be kind of true, in a way, but seriously shut the fuck up, you loser.
>>
I didn't care much for the Rankin-Bass movie as a kid. Now I prefer it.

PJ's LOTR is still the best though.

>>63237401
>Was The Shining self-indulgent?
It really fucking was.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.