[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is D&D 3E/3.5 considered old school yet? Reminder that people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 10
File: 0513774.jpg (34 KB, 300x388) Image search: [Google]
0513774.jpg
34 KB, 300x388
Is D&D 3E/3.5 considered old school yet?

Reminder that people considered AD&D 2E old-school by the time 4E came out.
>>
Wrong board there buddy.
Also no because Pathfinder is still somewhat alive.
>>
>wrong board
>Error: You cannot delete this post.

I hate you, neo-4chan.
>>
3.5 is considered grognard tier now, pretty much ever since 4th Edition game out. Stuff like the OGL and Pathfinder keep it alive but you really can't call it OSR.
>>
D&D

hahah, i totally get that reference, big bang theory right?? XD
>>
>>63232291
They were playing 4E.
>>
>>63231988
The repeating digits of The Fuhrer
>>
>Anon never posted this thread to /tg/

Aww, I was looking forward to this discussion
>>
>>63232022
>>63231988
Just gets dubs with every post
>>
>>63232333
Discuss it here.
>>
>>63232333
Sorry Anon. /tv/, /tg/, it's an easy mistake to make when you're drunk.

Let's discuss Dungeons & Dragons (2000) and Pathfinder (2007). Which is better?
>>
>>63232397
2nd edition. Yup, I'm old and haven't played since the 90s.
>>
>>63232437
I meant the films, so we could salvage this trainwreck of a thread.

Non-weapon proficiencies were a mistake.
>>
File: alextheautist.jpg (199 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
alextheautist.jpg
199 KB, 720x960
You can talk about this here, /tv/ mods only delete Daddario threads.
>>
>>63232397
Well, obviously D&D (2000) was a huge mess; new people had just gotten the license, the crew were all amateurs, and it fell apart almost immediately. The director's cut cleaned it up some, but a lot of the basic problems (they spent millions of wizard CGI but couldn't afford Party City for the fighter) were still there.

Patherfinder (2007) meanwhile, was definitely benefiting from it's lineage. The crew wasn't any better, and frankly the characters were way too pandering for my taste, but it did put a lot more sparkle on the whole thing and bring it together better. Honestly, same sort of budget allocation problems, as well as the constant creep of those feat characters, but a better turd.
>>
>>63232527
>I meant the films

wups

Not seen Dungeons and Dragons. Pathfinder is good even if the way both Native Americans and Vikings are portrayed is about as wrong as it gets
>>
What class/race did you usually roll as?

human paladin here. rangers can fuck off.
>>
>>63232540
The CGI was still awful even for the time. Looking back now, it looks like PlayStation graphics.

Pathfinder I watched but I barely remember.

Hopefully the new film will be a lot better, although going by other Hasbro films I'm not very optimistic (how can you ruin Jem and the Holograms so much)?

At least Jeremy Irons made the Dungeons & Dragons movie fun. Hatatatata.
>>
>>63232540
>>63232397
How come there was so much hate for the 2008 reboot? Yeah, I get that it made things more kid-friendly, and the director never saw a fight scene he didn't like, but it was fun and it got the story back into the dungeon where it belonged, while the show pre-reboot was just full of bullshit plotlines that broke everything and characters who wanted to be accountants instead of adventurers.
>>
Dungeons & Dragons was an atrocious film. It had nothing of what made playing D&D fun and the characters were paper-thin and stupid.

I think the best example of a D&D game turned into a film is Conan the Destroyer. You have an adventuring party of different classes going on a quest that involves a princess and an evil wizard. Plus you have the dope as fuck Basil Poledouris soundtrack.
>>
>>63232630
Human thief. Skills and backstabs are what make a game fun. Except when your DM is an asshole and designs all his encounters with undead and contructs.
>>
File: jeremy-irons-D-and-D.gif (503 KB, 492x318) Image search: [Google]
jeremy-irons-D-and-D.gif
503 KB, 492x318
>>63232668
>It had nothing of what made playing D&D fun and the characters were paper-thin and stupid.

Like you wouldn't want this guy as your BBEG.
>>
>>63232745
>implying a ham golem saves the film
>>
>>63232745
Jeremy Irons chewing the scenery is fun and all, but it doesn't make up for Marlon Waynes playing Chimpo the Thief.
>>
Best thread on /tv/ in a year and it's an accidental post meant for /tg/.
>>
>>63233122
Tell me about your best D&D campaign and discuss Baldur's Gate and Planescape and Morrowind.
>>
File: Edwin.jpg (17 KB, 95x149) Image search: [Google]
Edwin.jpg
17 KB, 95x149
>>63233171
Remember me?
>>
Oldschool: 2nd ed

Grognards and rules lawyers: 3.5, maybe 5th edition

Nobody plays this: 1st edition, 3.0 edition

casuals who think they're grognards but really they're just casuals: pathfinder

turbonerds: Star Wars d20, D20 modern

Retards and noobs: 4th edition
>>
>>63232630
Dwarf cleric erry time
Except now I have a dwarf rogue
>>
>>63232397

d&d obviously.

pathfinder is gay and for faggots and i bet no one can even list 5 reasons why it would be better

idk wtf that is op but i feel bad and want your thread to succeed. ;]
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 470x230) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 470x230
NEEEERRRRRDS
>>
I still play 2E. It's unwieldy, sure, but it flows a lot better than anyone remembers.
>>
>>63232630
>>63232722
>>63233234
I've played a lot of RPGs, and people who always play the same class are always the least fun and most boring people to play with. People who play different builds and try new things are always more fun and play more cleverly
>>
File: 174c11b3.jpg (61 KB, 502x753) Image search: [Google]
174c11b3.jpg
61 KB, 502x753
>That part where all the characters commit ritual suicide at the and of the Dungeons and Dragons movie.
>The dwarf who keeps showing up randomly.
>Bluelips the warlock.
This movie is a classic.
>>
>>63233355
It can be fun to mix it up, but sometimes you just have a preference that suits yourself as a player.

Healbot cleric until I die.
>>
>>63233355
I've played a lot of RPGs and basing the quality of players based on some arbitrary character creation choices is fucking retarded
>>
>>63233427
>until I die
If you die playing that, then you weren't playing it right in the first place
>>
>>63233281
I'll take the bait

pathfinder is better because it's easier to build characters, it's slightly more balanced between martial and magic classes (although obviously magic classes are still stronger), the quality is more consistent, and they took away level adjustment for races which was a horrible dumb system and instead just keep the races balanced for players. They also have a great system for building custom races that is very balanced
>>
File: 1436106014202.jpg (94 KB, 785x662) Image search: [Google]
1436106014202.jpg
94 KB, 785x662
>No good 3.5 videogames will be made anymore
>>
>>63233427

My best character I ever made was armored healing cleric in a forgotten realms campaign. Everybody wanted me by their side.
>>
>>63232657

I saw a later D&D film. I think it was Wrath of the Dragon God. I don't know if that's what you're talking about, but that film was so bad I had an out of body experience. It was profoundly bad. Like cosmologically awful. It made me question my whole existence. You ever watch a film so bad you leave your body and later you can't remember if it was a film or just a dream you had?
>>
You guys remember Zarus, the Lawful Evil Greater Deity of Humans?

A half-elf Warlock that wants to wipe out a particular sect of elven kind and prove that half-elves are the superior race in my game made a Pact with what he thinks is a Devil, but is, in fact, Zarus.

Thinking of having him be this Greater God's bitch and wipe out lairs upon lairs of lesser humanoids, all somehow weakening the elves, only to have him finally get his revenge - then be stripped of all he holds dear, turned into a mere human, left to wander the realm trying to undo the evil he has done.

Or, hell, join Zarus and this becomes an Evil campaign.
>>
>>63233507
>no 4E video games ever

There was actually a murder-suicide that fucked it all up.
>>
>>63233460
It's a reflection of the players personality. People who only play one class are inflexible and too stupid to figure out anything else, or they just don't care about the game and want to just play on autopilot.

It's one thing to have a preference for dwarves or something, but fags like this
>>63233427
could easily just be replaced by an unspeaking NPC with a wand of CLW for all the impact they'll have on the game
>>
>>63231988
>using anything beyond the first edition
I Shiggy diggy
>>
>playing pathfinder
>we're hired to kill a tyrant king
>we sneak into a ball
>before we can get him alone to kill him other assassins come in and kill him
>my dwarf takes the king's head and crown anyway
>we kidnap the king's kids
>we hijack an airship and sale off on our adventures
>hoard enough gold to upgrade our fort with suitable airship facilities and proper defenses

Feels good man
When was the last time your DM let you go cuhraaaazy
>>
>>63233529
I think I saw that one.

It was stupid but at least it nodded to the audience some more. It had a halfling/whatever thief? He was pretty funny. There was a scene where he used the ancient arts of the rogues or something and it amounted to pulling a lever. I liked that.
>>
>>63232668
you meant Conan the Barbarian, which captures the essence of high adventure perfectly.
>>
>>63233568
>It's a reflection of the players personality
Really isn't unless you believe in horoscopes and Facebook quizzes.
>>
>>63233568
The best character I ever made was an evil halfling cleric in ADnD. By the time we were level 5 I was by far the most powerful member of the party with my army of undead doing my bidding in combat. Plus for lore reason's my character had a lot to do in the story.
Clerics can be awesome.
>>
>>63233568
>could easily just be replaced by an unspeaking NPC with a wand of CLW for all the impact they'll have on the game

You can do the same things but play an interesting character.

Not to mention they always try to give clerics some kind of I-hit-it-with-my-mace or diplomacy abilities.
>>
>>63233576

>being a hipster about dungeons and dragons of all things
>>
>>63233618
>forever DM
>that moment when the slow game drifts a bit, the players start to get into it, relax, the mood settles and someone says something really stupid in the right way
There is no better feel that the one you get at that moment.
Except maybe when you realize your whole campaign has ben a trainwreck but you've been talking about it for three years.
>>
File: dnd movie cover.jpg (32 KB, 291x375) Image search: [Google]
dnd movie cover.jpg
32 KB, 291x375
>>63231988
Tell me /tv/. which has a greater gap between nerd culture popularity and quality of movies;
D&D or Video game movies.
>>
>>63232022
>confusing /tv/ and /tg/
The two aren't even next to each other in the list of boards.
>>
>>63233778
The vidyas that are now part of nerd culture are clearly not the ones that get made into movies though.
>>
>>63233815
They are when you have that little blood in your hydromel.
>>
played 3rd and 2nd

i liked both but i could see why the old school peeps wouldn't like 3rd edition and personally i preferred 2nd it just felt like it was a harder game and wizard wasn't OP never played anything after that
>>
>>63233620

It was the production mostly. The whole film had a sheen of artificiality. It's hard to explain. It's like this superficial theatricality. And you feel like you can see right past it to the actors and filmmakers.
>>
>>63232540
wait theres a pathfinder movie? whats it about?
>>
Is there either a cyberpunk or post-apocalyptic version of D&D?

Fantasy is so fucking gay.
>>
>>63234009
yeah, cyberpunk 2020
>>
>>63234003
theres a movie named pathfinder that doesnt have anything to do with the game
>>
It's not OSR by any stretch but it's oldish.

What's the Pathfinder movie about?

I love to play bards because I'm a weird neckbeard in that talking to people is one of the few things I AM confident about.
>>
>>63234009

Well there are plenty of post apoc and cyberpunk RPGs. Cyberpunk 2020 is pretty good if not dated. There's a good post apoc game called Apocalypse World.
>>
>>63233745
feels good man
the pathfinder group i was in at uni really chill. super awkward at first as always but we got really relaxed as the sessions went on. dm even invited us to his flat and we roleplayed for like 6 hours whilst drinking, although it was fucking hot so we went outside. even had two eastern european chicks in the group, and a guy from greece.

amazing how good rpgs can get when there's no autism in the group. miss the group because that was in my final year of uni
>>
>>63234009
Yes but you should play Shadowrun.
>>
>>63231988
i only play 2ed
>>
>>63234009
There are modules for 3.5/Pathfinder that deal with cyberpunk, you could also just homebrew something.
>>
File: 1446795938751.webm (2 MB, 1432x1064) Image search: [Google]
1446795938751.webm
2 MB, 1432x1064
Here you giant faggots.

>>>/tg/43937727
>>
>>63234271
This. Once you step outside d20, you'll rarely want to go back.
>>
File: DSCF7409.jpg (690 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7409.jpg
690 KB, 1024x768
>>63233225
i still play 3.0
>>
>>63233529
What he's talking about Is actual editions of D&D. 3rd edition came out in 2000, 4th in 2008, and it generated a lot of edition wars

I hate when jokes don't land.
>>
>>63233576
>implying literally anyone plays, or has ever played, pure zeroth D&D

At the least, anyone who has used the system for 5 minutes has a raft of house rules. Fuck the white box.
>>
>>63233961
I liked that 'superficiality'. The whole thing was almost literally a D&D campaign transcribed from table to film, complete with dumb jokes and references (the barbarian babe's brother went crazy on some expedition to the Barrier Peaks) and DM asspulls.

Plus, that shot where the white dragon blows up and little frozen cleric bits get blasted everywhere is great.
>>
>>63234302
The discussion here is more vibrant, though.

>>63234379
>Implying SR will be the system that convinces anyone to leave d20

I mean, the concept is great, but literally every edition of SR is a hot plate of barely playable garbage, held together by people who love the setting and a binder of house rules and kludges.
>>
>>63233630
High adventure sure, but Destroyer had a fighter/wizard/thief adventuring party.
>>
>>63235569
Thulsa Doom was a way better antagonist, though Chamberlain's character was awesome, and Conan slaying an Old God at the end was great, I prefer the barbarian/archer/fighter group presented in the original. I am a fan of the cliche fantasy forests in the opening of Destroyer though.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.