[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honest Discussion: Lena Dunham
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
Is Lena Dunham the the voice of women in the 21st century?

I recently watched her interview Hillary Clinton. This interview means Lena Dunham is viewed as the voice for women in art/cinema today. She is supposed to have some kind of weight to offer the national debate on gender divide. This is a very powerful position. In the 90s it was Oprah. She drove armies of women to stores and to movements with a simple sentence on her show. Was Oprah as fair and good representation for women...no. She just made good consumers. Perhaps Dunham is doing the same thing.

So to better understand the Lena Dunham voice. I watched her film Tiny Furniture and two seasons of Girls. Both films display women who have no motivation beyond want. That and they are awful people. Not in the Seinfeld the they are awful but it motivates the story. Dunham depiction of women are not complex characters but poorly motivated cardboard stand-ups that are supposed to be people.

Not fully understanding what a woman's voice in media should be since Dunham is often hailed as such. I wanted something to compare Girls to. So I watched two season of Orange is the New Black. The characters were human. They had hopes and desires, failures, and egos that made putting them all together in a situation a joy to watch.

I don't think Lena Dunham is doing women in art and mainly cinema any fair representation. But this is just my opinion and I could be wrong.
>>
She's the 9/11 of humans
>>
>>63226692
I'd shoot her in the face with my spit if I could.
>>
File: corinthian.jpg (38 KB, 335x505) Image search: [Google]
corinthian.jpg
38 KB, 335x505
>>63226692
>She is supposed to have some kind of weight
>>
PEBBLEPUSSY
E
B
B
L
E

P
U
S
S
Y
>>
PEBBLES
E
B
B
L
E
S
>>
Ok what am I banned for you hotpocket fuck
>>
>>63226777
>Dunham depiction of women are not complex characters but poorly motivated cardboard stand-ups that are supposed to be people.

In a way everyone in their early to mid 20s is this kind of person though. But overall I agree with you, she's not giving women a voice or any great role models to aspire to. She is presenting the archetype of a city woman to a mainstream audience and calling it representation. We could also get into her whitewashed version of feminism but it's too /pol/ here to bother.

When I was younger I looked up to C.J Cregg from The West Wing. Tv needs more C.J's
>>
File: 1437924279037.png (315 KB, 496x1175) Image search: [Google]
1437924279037.png
315 KB, 496x1175
She's an inspiration to shrill jewish child molesters everywhere
>>
Do you think she saw Kylo ren's dick?
>>
==PEBBLES==
>>
I am not american, so i don't really know this woman but didn't she molest her little sister or something?
>>
>>63226996
>Your idea of advocacy is "Hey everyone, look at me."

top kek
>>
>>63227036
>tfw no redtext
>>
>>63227056
yeah and wrote about it

>One day, as I sat in our driveway in Long Island playing with blocks and buckets, my curiosity got the best of me. Grace was sitting up, babbling and smiling, and I leaned down between her legs and carefully spread open her vagina. She didn’t resist and when I saw what was inside I shrieked.

My mother came running. “Mama, Mama! Grace has something in there!”

My mother didn’t bother asking why I had opened Grace’s vagina. This was within the spectrum of things I did. She just got on her knees and looked for herself. It quickly became apparent that Grace had stuffed six or seven pebbles in there. My mother removed them patiently while Grace cackled, thrilled that her prank had been a success.

it's still crazy to read every time.
>>
>>63227086
That one is almost understandable, as a sick thing that a kid did.

The bit where she would share a bed with her sister, play sexualized games, then masturbate as lil sis slept next to her is far beyond the pale.

Next to that, pebbles is almost OK, though the way she exploits it for money/notoriety and shows no shame is disgusting.
>>
She represents the contradictions of positive representation in media.

If we get our models so twisted that the realist depiction of something is desired to be seen as the idealistic one and is, indeed, done that way, then why even bother doing anything at all.

When everything is right outside of not saying everything is right, then society starts to fall apart quick in little self made bubbles, and of course, buy more shit that appeals to this everything is right mantra.
>>
>>63227188
>though the way she exploits it for money/notoriety and shows no shame is disgusting.

i don't understand how her manager or just anyone wasn't like, "hey uh, you're outing yourself as some kind of sexual predator here, you good with that?"
>>
>>63226692
I wish the new season of Girls would come out already
>>
>>63227266
Is it being delayed?
>>
>>63226734
kek
>>
>>63226692
this is the best I've ever seen her look and yet one eye looks like its trying to escape her face. like a wax figure that's been melted a little
>>
File: Damn It, Ryan.gif (2 MB, 190x190) Image search: [Google]
Damn It, Ryan.gif
2 MB, 190x190
>>63226734
>>
>>63226692
Is Lena Dunham the voice of women in 2082?
>>
Sister fister
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.