[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one who thinks those nazi comparisons are lame
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 22
File: space nazis.png (674 KB, 856x360) Image search: [Google]
space nazis.png
674 KB, 856x360
Am I the only one who thinks those nazi comparisons are lame and very unimaginative? /pol/shit aside, this is just overused and boring, and, in the case of Star Wars, it's of very bad taste, because they are making blatantly obvious that the First Order are going to be some naziy entity. As if this speech scene didn't resemble a Nazi rally enough, they also now have this salute. Goddammit, I just want the First Order to be the descendants of the Galactic Empire, not le super mega evil and original space nazis, for fuck's sake.
>>
It's poetry
>>
>>63222528
What else could you have fathomed from a Jew butthurt about nazis? Of course he won't take things easy on the nazi hate symbolism.
>>
>>63222612

I agree. Look to Jew Jar Abrams for answers.
>>
>>63222655
>>63222612
>>63222528
Oh look, its the anti-semitic edge teenz on mommy's computer, how cute

>hurrr i relate to the bad guys because they are hated like me
>>
>>63222528
I don't get why the Empire (or this First Order shit) has to be Nazi in character.

Why can't they just be ruthless, efficient space opportunists who want to control the galaxy? Why does there have to be a racial angle? What does making them into space Nazis add to the story? In the originals, the Empire was obviously evil, but they acted mostly rationally and didn't really give a shit about non-humans. In the SW universe, it would be monumentally retarded to openly declare yourself human-supremacist in a galaxy with 600 trillion different sentient species.

I mean, fuck, they're the remnants of a galaxy spanning empire, they don't need race to feel proud of something, they literally took over an ENTIRE FUCKING GALAXY 40 years previously and almost quashed all revolt. Isn't that enough to be proud of?
>>
they are literally called storm troopers for fucks sake
>>
File: tumblr_npjlgtPJTx1u4jmfdo1_1280.png (429 KB, 1280x1790) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npjlgtPJTx1u4jmfdo1_1280.png
429 KB, 1280x1790
http://time.com/4010014/j-j-abrams-star-wars-force-awakens-villain-nazi/

>Star Wars devotees are desperate for any new information about the Force Awakens bad guy, Kylo Ren. His mysterious crossbar lightsaber and the absence of the usual “Darth” title associated with Sith Lords have left fans wondering about his background.

>Finally, director J.J. Abrams has offered a few (admittedly vague) details about the backstory of Adam Driver’s character. In an interview with Empire magazine, Abrams explained, “Kylo Ren is not a Sith. He works under Supreme Leader Snoke, who is a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force.”

>Snoke is played via motion-capture by—who else?—Andy Serkis. Astute fans will remember that Serkis lent his voice to the first trailer for the film.

>But how, exactly, are Snoke and Ren related to the fallen Empire? It seems that they are part of the First Order, which is not so much a remnant from the Empire as it is an imitator.

>“That all came out of conversations about what would have happened if the Nazis all went to Argentina but then started working together again?’” Abrams said in the interview.

>"What could be born of that? Could The First Order exist as a group that actually admired The Empire? Could the work of The Empire be seen as unfulfilled? And could Vader be a martyr? Could there be a need to see through what didn’t get done?”
>>
nazi is our comparison

the movie is divided against order and chaos, good and evil, arrogance and bondage

green and brown uniform vs black/white uniform

empire vs republic etc etc

then there is the jedi the consular vs sith the manipulator

it is not just nazi germany versus the free world
>>
>>63222752
That's because the word "Stormtrooper" is cool as fuck.
>>
>>63222724
OP here, I'm not some neo-nazi /pol/ retard, I just think those nazi comparisons are unimaginative and overused.
>>
File: 1427312906592.jpg (72 KB, 741x865) Image search: [Google]
1427312906592.jpg
72 KB, 741x865
>>63222724
>>
>>63222792
>work of the empire
Rule the fucking galaxy.

That's their entire motivation. I don't know if I watched the same movies as JJ, but if I recall correctly, 99% of the Empire thought that Vader was a creepy, sadistic weirdo with the useless (but scary) ability to choke people out with telekinesis.
>>
File: Lenin-1895-mugshot.jpg (90 KB, 329x516) Image search: [Google]
Lenin-1895-mugshot.jpg
90 KB, 329x516
>>63222745
Personally I would've preferred a Soviet Union villain organization.

Under Lenin there were tons of village revolts because of the Communist inefficiency.
>>
>>63222836
Guess what, complaining is unimaginative.

Tell me a better group he could have based the FO on, one the general public would be able recognize.
>>
File: Islam.gif (6 KB, 299x269) Image search: [Google]
Islam.gif
6 KB, 299x269
>>63222893
>>
File: soviet-union.gif (5 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
soviet-union.gif
5 KB, 400x400
>>63222893
>The Evil Empire
>>
Empire was always nazis. Look up galactic empIre on wikipdia
>>
>>63222528
the nazi - esque scenes were used in the original series (all lined up like how they are in your pic). nothings organic, its just some re hashed b.s. that disney knows will help make money. hell disney can make anything call it star wars and it'll probably do decent to amazing in theaters, just because of the name.
>>
>>63223046
Strangely enough, the biggest cinematic tribute to the Nazis in the OT was the awards ceremony ending of ANH. Literally a shot for shot reproduction of the Nuremberg Rally part of Triumph of the Will.
>>
>>63223046
>the nazi - esque scenes were used in the original series (all lined up like how they are in your pic
In the OT, they were just an evil empire, the only thing that resembled the nazis were the uniforms, the guns and the term "stormtrooper". Now they are more than an evil empire, they had to turn them into space nazis.
>>
Nazi iconography is here to stay whether we like it or not.
>>
>>63223194
Marches and flags were a thing long before the Nazis did it.
>>
>>63223242
>.svg.png
hurr
>>
>>63223242

And? How does it counter the fact that Nazi imagery is decidedly "bad" aligned in media and will be continued to be used at such? It doesn't. Even if people were giving rousing speeches with spittle before Hitler it's his imagery now.

You can more readily see this with the Swastika in which before that it wasn't a hate symbol just some cross cultural collection of right angles.. Doesn't really matter what came before just what is current.
>>
>>63222528

Are you an idiot? The Empire itself was a Nazi allegory so obviously the First Order would be

>Rises out of the ashes of a failed Republic
>Ambitious Chancellor
>False flag attack gives him emergency powers
>Uses those powers to create a dictatorship
>Human-only policy; non-human races treated like shit
>Grey uniforms with jackboots
>Soldiers are called fucking stormtroopers

It's literally the history of the collapse of the Weimar Republic and the rise of the Third Reich, in space
>>
>>63223170

you are a retard. they were always a nazi metaphor. this is just a continuation
>>
Empire was always nazis though.
>>
The galactic empire has always been nazis. Just because /pol/ is getting upset now doesn't mean this is a new thing in any way.
>>
>>63223590
>EU
>>
>>63222893

The modern Financial Royalty of corporate fascist America

>but then you risk the proles becoming learned
>>
File: 1364000444651.jpg (8 KB, 137x234) Image search: [Google]
1364000444651.jpg
8 KB, 137x234
>>63223590
>>63223555
>>63223508
>>63223465
star was defense force to the rescue! hi 5 guys! nevermind that's it's old tired shit that's overdone to hell and being emphasized x2 in these new films
>>
>Rebels are smelly unwashed theifs with low tech
>Imperials are orderly, mannered and high tech

But they're forced to show them doing bad man things because they're the meany bad guys who hurt kittens.
>>
>>63223751

It wasn't old tired shit in 1977 retard. If the New Order is meant to imitate the Empire then obviously there'll be Nazi symbolism.
>>
>>63222893
>Tell me a better group he could have based the FO on
None?
>>
Nazi rallys are pretty powerful and spooky when done right in movies. There's just the shock of so many people, full of such robotic evil.

Hell, even the Lion King had such a thing, with that awesome song too.
>>
>>63223465
>Human-only policy; non-human races treated like shit
I don't remember this being mentioned in the movies.
>>
>>63223751

I like how /pol/ tards are too stupid to keep up their lies for more than a few posts

>claims to not be a /pol/ kiddie
>inevitably as the sunrise, comes out with "facts which hurts my feelings are not facts," shitposting is an argument, screaming about muh defense forces is an argument

>>>/pol/
>>
I agree OP. However, Star Wars has never been about the nuanced political tactics of two morally grey sides but a simplistic take on good vs. evil since the original trilogy. So yeah I think most people weren't surprised although the continued portrayal of evil through nazi symbolism is getting boring
>>
>>63223987

>muh /pol/

The fuck is /pol/? Anytime someone has opposing opinions it seems like the 'de facto' response
>>
>>63223987
OP here, I'm not >>63223751. I genuinely dislike /pol/tards as much as the next guy, I really just think the nazi symbolism is overused. Now you stop assuming anyone who doesn't like the fact that the First Order are going to be space nazis are from /pol/, this is just stupid.
>>
>>63223987

/pol/ is more welcome on this board than you cancerous star tourists from /v/(and all its run off boards), /co/, /sp/, /r9k/, /legbutt/ and /int/

You remember that when you're trying to pretend you're part of this board again
>>
Damn i was really happy when Disney decided to throw the EU overboard. it was just empire vs republic for thousands of years. Unfortunatly the new movies will be the same shit to.
>>
>>63222745
1. Instant association with evil, uniformity, etc that people have had reinforced their entire lives
2. Abrams is Jewish
>>
>>63222528
It's fucking bullshit propaganda. Hitler did nothing wrong.
>>
>>63224194
>/pol/ is more welcome on this board
You're only welcome on your own containment board.
>>
>>63224129
>I hate poltards

That's it tumblr, push him over the edge. Keep disregarding his modest opinions, he'll turn soon.
>>
>>63224264
You have no authority here.
>>
>>63224194
>>63224194
>/pol/ is more welcome on this board
No, its not.
/pol/ 'ideals' and beliefs don't mesh with popular entertaiment or arthouse.
>>
>>63224264

It realllyyy seems like anons use/pol/ as a label/logical fallacy when they hear shit they don't like.....

At least spew some fucking vitrol hate and an original response once in a while. Otherwise we end up with threads

>durr ur reddit
>nuh uh ur pol
>>
>>63224360

Nepotist shits that got their comeuppance from the banking industry have no place in art but here we are
>modern Hollywood
>>
File: 1320218197571.png (285 KB, 448x421) Image search: [Google]
1320218197571.png
285 KB, 448x421
>>63223987
>>
>>63224314
I don't get what you mean, but it's ok if you think the Empire were always space nazis, but I don't think so, and I also think the nazi symbolism is boring.
>>
File: goyim.jpg (11 KB, 280x180) Image search: [Google]
goyim.jpg
11 KB, 280x180
>>63222724
Found the jew
>>
>>63223465
>The Empire itself was a Nazi allegory

I think I remember reading about Lucas saying Empire = US, Rebels = Viet Cong. Not even kidding.
>>
>>63222893
>complaining is unimaginative
What? Your retarded u stupid kike
>>
>>63224127

I'll tell you a little story about two villages, one called Tivi and the other called Pol. Tivi was full of people who loved to talk and Pol was full of people who loved to shit in their bathtubs and roll around in it all day. Sometimes, people from Pol would go into Tivi and try to join in the conversations. But the people from Tivi would smell the shit clinging to the filthy Pol-ites' diseased bodies and would reject them. "Fuck off, /pol/tard!" they'd cry. No matter what the hapless Pol-ite did or said, the only response was "Fuck off, /pol/tard!"

And the people of Pol were sad. They brought their problem to the smartest man in all of Pol and asked his advice. He got his biggest bathtub, filled it with the foulest shit he could find and sat in it for a week, stewing. Everyone in Pol grew more and more tense the more he pondered. They knew he was very clever and wise - some folks said he could read without moving his lips, though most were sceptical about talk of such feats - but could he crack this nut?

Finally, the smartest man in all of Pol emerged from his bathtub of shit and announced that he had found a solution. Everyone gathered around to hear his wisdom.
>>
>>63224439
That's for RotJ, and only for the idea that an apparently insignificant, "primitive" civilization can beat a much more powerful foe through guerilla.
>>
Hey /pol/ the big guy in charge of BLACKED is going to do an AMA on reddrit tomorrow.
Go ask him about Star Wars and leave us alone.
>>
>>63224127
>>63224511
"What we will do," he told them, "is this: Whenever they say 'Fuck off, /pol/tard!' we will-" he paused, furrowing his brows for a moment in intense concentration, as though he had lost grip of his momentous idea. Then he started. "Yes!" he cried. "We will... uh... yes! We'll tell them we aren't from Pol!"

Silence greeted this extrusion. A young man in the crowd put his hand up.

"But... we ARE from Pol," he said, bewildered.

"Yes," said the wise man, "but, and it's very complicated and tricky, I know, BUT, what we do is, we... TELL them that we're not. And then they'll have to talk to us!"

The young man put his hand up again.

"But... we ARE from Pol," he said again.

The wise man sighed and began to speak once more.

It took several months of classes and speeches and diagrams and tutorials, but after much effort, most of the people of Pol were fairly sure that they could manage to say that they weren't from Pol. And so a contingent was dispatched to Tivi, in high spirits at the prospect of their inevitable success.

As soon as they entered Tivi, the people there began to yell at them "Fuck off, /pol/tards!"

The Pol-ites nudged and winked and grinned at one another. "We're not from Pol!" they cried.

But the people of Tivi responded: "Of course you're from Pol, you fucking /pol/tards, we can smell the shit all over you! Fuck off, /pol/tards!"

They went home, as dejected as they were mystified.
>>
>>63222528
The Galactic Empire was never a mirror for Nazis. They were their own thing with references and influence from our own history. An amalgam of the Third Reich AND the British Empire. Their goal? Galactic Domination by rule of an Iron Fist.

Seriously though guys, I have this magazine with exclusive info from JJ and his crew.

He admits:

1. According to his own words, The First Order is designed to make the Empire look moderate in comparison, whereas the Empire was already evil.

2. He directly wants to make them full Nazi. He even admits to this. His excuse is that he wanted to up the stakes and make the bad guys even more threatening. If you ask me it seems hes pushing an agenda but whatever.

3. This is directly complimented by the new evil Superweapon, I kid you not: The StarKiller. It's a giant, planet sized spherical shaped battlestation that opens up and has a power that dwarfs the deathstar. Probably can take out a Star or something or make it go supernovae. He admits that its another deathstar basically but wanted the new weapon to be familiar with fans but even more threatening

Oh and apparently Kylo Ren and General whats his face hate each other and are working separately for supreme leader snoke, the new big bad.
>>
>>63224127
YOU ARE BLIND MY BROTHERS, BUT I WILL MAKE YOU SEE.

REDDIT AND NEWFAGS HAVE INFESTED 4CHAN. THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND THAT 4CHAN IN ITSELF HAS ALWAYS BEEN RACIST AND SPITEFUL.

THEY GET CALLED OUT ON BEING REDDIT AND SO GET ASSHURT.

NOW THEY SAY EVERYONE IS /pol/ BECAUSE THEY LEGITIMATELY BELIEVE 4CHAN IS JUST LIKE THEIR LIBERAL ARTS HUGBOX CALLED REDDIT.
>>
>>63224415
Oh just that this is how it starts. Any neutral ideas/questions are disregarded as /pol/. After a while you get tired of it and check it out.

As for the Order thing: Nazi allegory is pure and absolute laziness in terms of writing. I'm guessing Disney just wanted to sell more Stormtroopers though. It would've been great if they tried something new, but as it is, can't be helped.
>>
>>63224539
That's stupid, the Imperials were already an overwhelming force able to do whatever the fuck they wanted, including blowing up planets without provocation.

You don't need to give them bigger weapons or eviler habits to make them more threatening. Just make them smarter, more insidious, more tempting.
>>
>>63224646
Dont get mad at me,im literally just relaying what was in the exclusive interview, said by JJ himself. Id post a link but its just print no corresponding online article (they want you to buy the issue).

I just chimed in to correct anons who claim the empire was always pure nazi when all fans know they were equally influenced from the british empire as well. Jj admits to making the first order full nazi though, and i dont like this star killer idea either, seems lazy
>>
>>63224569

I don't think of this place as anything other than a fucking anon imageboard. No one shouting DURR >>>/pol/ or DURR >>reddit is making me browse to either cesspit of shit. Sorry f a m.
>>
File: stormtroopers.jpg (108 KB, 856x480) Image search: [Google]
stormtroopers.jpg
108 KB, 856x480
>The new Empire are just copying Nazis
Did you guys even watch the OT?
>Officers are similar looking to Nazi officers
>The Empire soldiers are literally called Stormtroopers
>Most empire weapons are German weapons
>All led by one dangerous man
>>
>>63224904
We all know that things like the uniforms were based on the nazis (and also in part on World War II Japanese uniforms), but they only resembled them in appearance, now they really are actual galactic nazis, and this is just made more obvious with the banners, the salute, that speech scene and Abrams declarations.
>All led by one dangerous man
Come on, nothing on Darth Vader or Sheev resembled Hitler.
>>
Remember the 6 million. The Nazis were the most evil people on the planet and we must reflect that in all our (Jewish made) Hollywood films and TV shows. White people acting collectively for their own interests is the worst thing that can ever happen, since it is white people's destiny to act as hosts for a permanent parasitic brown underclass which will eventually replace them as white people slowly go extinct as a result of border entropy and extra-legal punishments for people who act in the interests of their people.
>>
>>63222794

But the Nazis are the ones who represent order. The rebels are the ones who represent chaos, since if you look at real societies where the rebels have won in modern times i.e. Libya, Syria - all we can see is leaderless mass violence and chaos.

The Right = order and authority.

The Left = disorder and anarchy.
>>
>>63224904
Dont remember germans having tie fighters, a deathstar, star destroyers, laser rifles, ATATs, etc.

Empires having one powerful leader isnt a german exclusive concept.
The British Empire had a King as well

British accents with uniforms drawing influence from different sources, including germans, but not exclusive, and merely influenced, not a dead on copy.

The word stormtrooper is from the nazis, but the word itself can be applied to different groups and was never an official title whereas it is for the empire, and the storm troopers from SW have a unique look.
>>
>>63225232
>White people acting collectively for their own interests

Is that what you call starting an unwinnable war against various other majority-white countries, slaughtering millions of white people in the process?

Shaking my damn head all falsehood aside blood relation. White people off the hook, yo. All y'all.
>>
>>63222528
It's not very creative. But it's already been firmly established that the Empire were very much like the Nazis. A little late to go back on that now.

Besides, it's not like the Nazis were the only military force to have mass assemblies like that. You could just as easily say it's Roman warrior imagery or whatever the fuck.
>>
>>63222528
But wasn't the Empire badically space nazis too? Look at their wardrobr, hell they have Stormtroopers. They were always nazis.
>>
>>63222893
The Nazi comparison is perfect actually because their histories and intentions are vague and misrepresented and no one actually understands why they're evil
You just know you're supposed to hate them
>>
>>63225363
You don't remember them having that stuff? Then why do you think the new empire is comparable?

The British accents were a result of them filming all the Death Star scenes in Britain.

It became popular and became affiliated with Nazis, you think George picked that name for a different reason? No, he picked it to draw a resemblance
>>
>>63225398

The Allies were the ones who declared war on the Nazis. The Allies were the aggressors. We accept the Allied version of events, because they won and got to decide how history would view the people they destroyed. They chose to portray them as pure evil.
>>
>>63225232
Star Wars fans don't actually like Star Wars.

Hence the outrage from them that EP VII makes comparisons between the Empire and the Nazis. These comparison were there already in Ep VI, where the Empire is shown as a fascist force whose footsoldiers are called "stormtroopers".

Star Wars fans don't actually like Star Wars.
>>
>>63225765
>muh nazis were good boys they dindu nuffin
>>
>>63225765
>>boards.4chan.org/pol
>>
>>63222745
>I don't get why the Empire (or this First Order shit) has to be Nazi in character.

It's because the OT and PT showed them as Nazis.
>>
>>63225811

Why is it not ">>>/pol/" when somebody makes an equally un-contestable political statement such a "the Nazis were pure evil" ? You essentially want to never have your incorrect beliefs pointed out. This film is propaganda based on false history and this is a film board in which we are discussing the ramifications of that decision.
>>
>>63222528
What else are they going to compare it to lol?
>>
>>63225765
>The Allies were the ones who declared war on the Nazis.

Because the Nazis were consolidating control over other majority-white countries through military force.

Hitler is responsible - directly, as in morally culpable - for the deaths of far more white people than Jews. Can never figure out why you tards can't ever seem to get that shit straight in your heads. We must secure the future of our aw, naw, actually let's get millions of white people killed! Hooray for the Nazis!

But I mean, I get the political dress-up, mom-would-freak politico-historical contrarianism. I DIG it, man, do your thing.
>>
>>63222528
Bait thread that ironically undermines and undervalues the depth and history of the Third Reich that incorporates elements from every era of human history.

Of course we compare everything to Nazis, they are everything we loathe and love about humanity.
>>
desu senpai i think a straight up revival of the third reich is cool. i love seeing people portray nazis head on. movies don't do that anymore because they are pussies.
>>
>>63225946

Why is only Hitler responsible for the white deaths and not the leaders of the white countries who explicitly declared war on him? If they hadn't declared war, there would have been peace in Europe.
>>
>>63225884
>when somebody makes an equally un-contestable political statement such a "the Nazis were pure evil"

Because a) /leftypol/ isn't here, it's elsewhere and b) /pol/ is not actually a board for discussing politics; it's a containment area for racists and pretend racists. A little far-right maymay factory for them to drone on about whatever stupid shit they're fapping to this week. An utterly, utterly standard sentiment like "Nazism was bad" basically has no place there.
>>
>>63222745
>I mean, fuck, they're the remnants of a galaxy spanning empire, they don't need race to feel proud of something, they literally took over an ENTIRE FUCKING GALAXY 40 years previously

You're misunderstanding the history of Star Wars.

The arc of Star Wars is that the liberal democracy of the Republic, faced with dissent and its own weakness, becomes the authoritarian, fascist Empire. This is established in the first Star Wars movie, where characters state that the "last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away". New Hope shows a simple battle between good and evil, freedom and tyranny, light and dark. The Empire Strikes Back complicates this by showing that this was a fiction, and that Darth Vader represents a way beyond it, a truth too terrifying to contemplate. Return of the Jedi shows an end to the conflict that fails to resolve the underlying tensions however.

The prequels bring these underlying tensions ot the light: the fascist Empire is actually the flipside of the liberal Republic. This is one of the reason Star Wars fans hate the PT, because it undermines the Rebels and their attempt to restore the Republic.

The Force Awakens seem to continue this conflict, with "good" and "evil" factions. But only time will tell of the creators actually buy the fiction of the Rebels.
>>
File: 200.jpg (14 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
200.jpg
14 KB, 240x320
>>63223012
>First order isn't based on Soviet army

Fucking Jew Jew, he is a fucking hack. He can do nothing other than portray bad guy as nazis
>>
>>63226001
Unlikely, resistance against the Germans would cause the Nazi Empire to fight insurgencies in every piece of occupied territory causing a proxy war where America would likely drop nukes on all of Europe to end it and consolidate control.

Had the Nazis won, eventually the USA would have controlled the world simply because the Soviets would not have been a factor.
>>
>>63226001
>If they hadn't declared war, there would have been peace in Europe.

If Hitler hadn't invaded all those other countries, the Allies wouldn't have felt it necessary to attack. He was the first aggressor, it's not complicated dude.
>>
>>63226001
That pernicious Poland, daring to assault Germany.
>>
>>63226001
You must have missed the part where Germany had taken over Western Europe, North Africa and was about to attack Eastern Europe
>>
>>63225765
everytime i see a variation of history is written by the victors quote i always cringe because it's taken out of context and historians have plenty of near objective ways to find the truth.
>>
>>63226011
>An utterly, utterly standard sentiment like "Nazism was bad" basically has no place there.

You realise that "Jews are bad" would have been considered an utterly standard sentiment in the Third Reich, correct? And that your own particular values are entirely contingent upon your own historical context just as they were in the 30s? If you can accept that it would be morally justified and courageous for a Nazi to think outside the bounds of his time in order to reconsider whether Jews really are evil, then why can't you also accept that it is morally justified for me to step outside of my (presently, radically anti-Nazi timeframe) in order to critique my own society's temporarily insane anti-white values?
>>
>>63226094
>historians have plenty of near objective ways to find the truth.

If you actually believe this, you don't know a single thing about history.

>>63226057

>declare war on evil Germany in order to protect Poland
>the result of your actions annexes Poland to a genocidal commie empire which subjugates and brutalises them for centuries

is it not slightly suspicious that the nominal cassus belli was immediately forgotten about? the true motivation for war was something far deeper than poland
>>
>>63226001
I'm sure all the countries in Europe being occupied by Germany would have been really peaceful
>>
>>63226028
why the fuck would you based it on the soviet army?

they were malnourished, unattractive, and ugly. the nazis were much better looking.
>>
>>63226078
absolut basiert
>>
>>63226100
>why can't you also accept that it is morally justified for me to step outside of my (presently, radically anti-Nazi timeframe) in order to critique my own society's temporarily insane anti-white values?

I can totally accept that, mate. You can go and do all that stupid edgy shit in /pol/, where such radical rejections of the BIG LIE that all the SHEEPLE can't see through etc are welcome. It's literally custom fucking built for your very pleasure. Off you go.
>>
>>63226162
>If you actually believe this, you don't know a single thing about history.

i know plenty about history, enough that i was dumb enough to study history for my undergrad. history isn't written by victors, it's just that the interpretation of history changes over time. it's not "victors" it's circumstances
>>
>>63226162
>is it not slightly suspicious that the nominal cassus belli was immediately forgotten about?

No. Nobody was giving much of a fuck about Belgium in 1918, honestly.
>>
>>63226215

>people with different opinions to me shouldn't be allowed to express them
>>
>>63226290
>people who want to talk about anime shouldn't do so in the cookery board

I'm history's greatest monster mate. I'm Napoleon times Stalin to the power of Mao.
>>
>>63222893

Feudal Japanese.

Hux is the shogun.

They are fanatics that can commit sudoku with special sudoku TIEs loaded with explosives.

New Order is a mix of japanese honorabu fighters and sith religion.

There. Much better than nazis.
>>
>whole plot leaked months ago
>plot of 1 is basically confirmed so the rest is likely to be true too
>it's just totally not rip-off of Yuuzan Vong ancient evil from outer space awakens cliche
>turns out the Order were good guys
just like in real life
>>
>>63226336

Surely you accept that film is not a hermetic subject, it's simply a medium (and a craft) which is often used to present ideas that fall outside of the bounds of the topic of "film". If you don't want us to be able to discuss Nazis in a film which implicitly portrays the villains as Nazis, then you shouldn't want us to be able to discuss the topic of AI in a thread about Ex Machina.
>>
>>63223987
Jesus Christ just fuck off and take the rest of the cancer back to Leddit with you, you humongous cretin
>>
>>63226456

Nothing you're saying has anything to do with the film, though. It's just all the standard historical revisionism we've all seen before, it's not even NEW.

Also, more broadly, you don't get to be considered in a vacuum. That's not a privilege you can credibly invoke. The fact is that /pol/ contains a large number of hardcore shitposters who dedicate swathes of their time to shitting up threads all over the site with their irrelevant nonsense. It's not "oppression" to uniquely discriminate against shit like that, it's commons sense. If there was a large contingent of people constantly derailing threads to yak about teh Singularity, don't fucking kid yourself the attitude would be any different.
>>
>>63222528
Star Wars has always been Nazis in space dumbfuck
>>
>>63222792
Hey look another reason to not go see this trash
>>
>>63226057
>>63226078
>>63226166

>all those other countries
He moved troops into a German speaking town that Poland stole after WWI, that was surrounded on both sides by German territory

That's why Great Briatain declared war on Germany, everything else was just the result of that
Absolutely nothing indicates that he would have attacked anyone West of Poland
>>
File: lion-king-nazi-march[1].gif (2 MB, 500x175) Image search: [Google]
lion-king-nazi-march[1].gif
2 MB, 500x175
>>63222528
kids need things spelled out as obvious as possible.
>>
File: 1421028850117.jpg (196 KB, 727x463) Image search: [Google]
1421028850117.jpg
196 KB, 727x463
>>63226899
Kek. If you actually believe that i'm genuinely stunned at the stupidity.
>>
>>63226899
Neville Chamberlain, shouldn't you be dead?
>>
>>63224904
>>Most empire weapons are German weapons
except the E11 was a british sten gun

The rebel's A280 (seen in empire and jedi) is an STG44
>>
>>63222889

>communism
>inefficiency

pick one
>>
>>63224904
>>Most empire weapons are German weapons
Long ass lazur rifles?
No one but /k/ fags would notice.
>>
Disney would have to already know a shitload of people root for the Empire, there are even people who started making chrometrooper armor the moment the trailer released. Why associate them with nazis?
>>
>>63225946
Do you even know anything about the period of time in between the World Wars
Hitler made no aggressive, unreasonable, or genocidal moves until after the Western World declared war on him and decided there was no compromising

Hitler was trying to negotiate with Poland and Great Britain and called off the initial invasion of Poland because he still thought peace could be made
And he continued to submit peace proposals after the invasion of Poland which Great Britain refused
Chamberlain was a smug idiot who thought that the British empire was so great he could write blank checks on behalf of the rest of Europe
>>
>>63226937
explain what happened then?
>>
>>63227155
Germany illegally invaded another country, allies of that country had to react.

If you actually think the endgame of Hitler was just a small town in poland you're fucking retarded
>>
>>63227204
If you actually think he wanted to control Great Britain and France you're the retard
His endgame was destroying the Soviet Union, which the western world ultimately agreed with
>>
>>63227204
>it's a Hitler started the war meme
>>
>>63226577

You're confusing people who have a different opinion to you with shitposters. Don't be so narcissistic to think that you only deserve to hear opinions you agree with.
>>
>>63226349
Would be pretty cool
>>
>>63224904
Empire officers look like Japanese Naval Officers more than anything, and nothing like any Nazi Officers uniform beyond the fact they look vaguely like officers. They really do seem to be laying it on thick with first order/nazi thing , even the big red flags . Its a bit much
>>
>>63222886
This, it's not like Sheev got a kick out of killing space Jews, he just likes being the biggest mofo in the galaxy.
>>
>>63224539
>shaky alliance of evil wizards and pseudo-nazis trying to rule the galaxy with a giant laser
So he's just rehashing the OT? All the trade agreement stuff in the prequels was boring, but at least it was something new. This is old-hat.
>>
Some people are retarded as fuck, they were always Nazis

http://www.starwars.com/news/from-world-war-to-star-wars-imperial-officers

>The fact that fascism inspired the look and feel of the Empire is no secret. In fact, Star Wars creator George Lucas even refers to the Imperial officers in The Empire Strikes Back as “Nazis” while giving his commentary of the film. He specifically mentions their militaristic dress, noting, “The Nazis are basically the same costume as we used in the first film and they are designed to be very authoritarian, very empire-like.”
>>
>>63227120
>Hitler made no aggressive, unreasonable, or genocidal moves until after the Western World declared war on him

Nuremburg laws, though. You're maybe going to say "not genocidal" but you're not in charge of deciding that, you can't be trusted with it, lol. Also, you appear shockingly ignorant of the actual build-up to the war. You are either presenting or have uncritically absorbed an absurdly selective reading of events.

>And he continued to submit peace proposals

Did any of those proposals involve, like, giving back all the shit he'd taken? No? No proposals to stand down and give back all the chunks of Western Europe he'd taken? Oh, well then who gives a fuck. "I wanna fight but not with you" is neither a pacifist nor a morally admirable stance.

But I'm not going to re-litigate the issue for the six-million-and-first time, dog, I have other fish to fry. I'll leave you with this: the broad brush-strokes of popular perception are not universally false. Don't fall into the trap of thinking something must be true if hardly anyone believes it.
>>
My take - Abrams is notorious for pandering, in many ways. Pandering to hardcore fans, pandering to critics, pandering to idiots, and so on.

This can be good for a blockbuster film's immediate popularity, but it makes for an unimaginative thing in the long run. Literally no one will give a fuck about his Star Trek series in since 3 years ago.

In this case, I think he's trying to bring Star Wars back to its roots. Here, I blame the popular fan opinion that long-running series have to stay true to their origins. I think a tonal consistency, or continuity is more important, but lots of fans are overly invested in Sith vs Jedi plot points and apparently Storm Trooper armour.

I know its cliched, but I think blockbuster films benefit greatly from incorporating issues pertinent in their times. Instead of pandering to SJWs to get modernity points, Abrams should have made Finn the affluent son of space slaves, the enemies should have been similar to Muslim terrorists, and instead of Death Stars, the root problem should have been on the ground corruption - i.e. people want to join the dark side. The plot could have still been simple, but these overtones would have made the movie more compelling to modern audiences. Everyone's interested in the morality of a rich black thug struggling for their civility; everyone's interested in religious extremism; everyone wants to see terrorists suffer.
>>
>>63227441
And

>In the Star Wars saga, creator George Lucas showed us how the democratic Republic was slowly manipulated into giving unlimited power to the Sith Lord, Chancellor Palpatine. In Revenge of the Sith, Lucas explored the question, “How do you turn over democracy to a tyrant with applause? Not with a coup, but with applause?” Lucas recalls, “That is the story of Caesar, Napoleon, and Hitler.”

>George wanted the Imperial people to look efficient, totalitarian, fascist; and the rebels, the goodies, to look like something out of a Western or the U.S. Marines.
>>
>>63227441
It's not that they weren't. It's that it was less painfully obvious and in your face.

Like, the troops with the white guys preaching to them with the large red banners isnt enough, they need to salute like nazis too?
>>
>>63225294
the Rebels in movies usually represent freedom and choice, where the Right usually represent restriction and (undeserved) authority.
>>
>>63227445
>the broad brush-strokes of popular perception are not universally false
I'm not that guy but this is a really dangerous mindset to slip into.
Like, nazis were faggots, but don't be *that guy*
>>
>>63227272
>You're confusing people who have a different opinion to you with shitposters.

No, I'm identifying shitposters as shitposters.

Someone, and I'm repeating myself here, someone who goes into the cookery board and derails a bunch of threads by yelling about anime does not merely "have a different opinion" than the people who tell them to please fuck off to the anime board. That person is a shitposter who needs to fuck off to the anime board.

Similarly, someone who is merely one element of a broader shitposting trend is not some poor, downtrodden and oppressed victim of censorship at the small-minded hands of the like liberal SJW junta. They're a shitposter who should fuck off back to /pol/ where they belong. Again, you don't get to be considered in a vacuum. You don't get to like, have the jury instructed to disregard the six million other boring little faggots who want to drone on about Nazi shit on boards that clearly have literally nothing to do with Nazi shit.

So you know, tl;dr, fuck off, /pol/tard. Fuck off back to /pol/ and TALK ABOUT this shit you so desperately want to talk about. You'd think you'd be there already, you're so keen to get the conversation going.
>>
>>63227498
It's highly doubtful JJ came up with most of the major plot points and characters himself, right?

JJ is only directing episode VII, and similar to Disney's Marvel studio they have a set of people above the directors who decide the direction the franchise is taking, right?

So in that sense JJ is pretty perfect for VII, hook people in with what they're familiar with (similar to Star Trek reboot), then episodes 8 and 9 can expand into new directions
>>
>>63227595

Don't be what guy? The guy who understands that broad, widely-held perceptions are sometimes false and sometimes not? Because I'm fine with being that guy.
>>
>>63227601

I'm sorry that you feel so hostile towards somebody who is simply expressing a different view to yours. Looks like you have a lot of growing up to do, kid.

>boards that clearly have literally nothing to do with Nazi shit

The film series is basically a retelling of the Nazi story, Anon. Sheev's dismantling of the senate, the switch to empire, the formal uniforms, the fetishisation of order. It is all very relevant. I don't know how you can fail to see that.
>>
>>63227709

Lucas said he had Nixon in mind when he was writing all the stuff.

The Imperial uniforms were based on the Japanese uniforms in World War II -- Darth Vader is basically wearing a space Samurai suit, for god's sake.

That said, JJ said the idea for the First Order was "what if the Nazis in Argentina started working together?"
>>
>>63222528
>nazi comparisons
>star wars

It is 1979 again? That's always been a thing.
>>
>>63227445
good god, don't bring the holocaust into this
No one has brought it up yet or denied it

>Did any of those proposals involve, like, giving back all the shit he'd taken?
You mean the land that was taken from him?
If you don't think Hitler's annexation of the German speaking territories that were taken from him after WWI had at least some legitimacy, then you're just being an arm-chair moral arbiter
And regardless of what you believe, the World and mainstream thinker condemning Hitler for wanting to destroy the Soviet Union is one of the most hypocritical thing I could imagine
>>
>>63227498
I think we should remember that A New Hope came out only 3 decades after WWII
This blatant comparison is extremely stale
>>
>>63227709
>The film series is basically a retelling of the Nazi story
It borrows visual elements in an effort to easily identify the bad guys, but its completely ridiculous to call it a retelling of history. Please take your neonazi talking points somewhere else.
>>
File: 1401035988729.jpg (75 KB, 636x288) Image search: [Google]
1401035988729.jpg
75 KB, 636x288
>I have seen a security hologram of Adolf.... killing Jewlings...
>>
>>63227709
>I'm sorry that you feel so hostile towards somebody who is simply expressing a different view to yours.

I'm sorry that you overvalue the impact of passive aggression.

>The film series is basically a retelling of the Nazi story

Let's say this is true. That does not make /tv/ a history board all of a sudden. You could make this case if it were an actual WWII film, but it's not, so no dice.

Now, I mean, you know that I'm right about this, you know that I know that you know I'm right about this and so on, and this is all part of some self-imposed adolescent rite of passage where you must leave the village of your childhood and shock and outrage the strangers of the internet with your outrageous and totes independent outlook on things. And that's super great. But there is a board for that, and this isn't it. I promise you there are even people on /pol/ who will argue with you. Maybe you will manage to shock and outrage some of them - trust in yourself, and you can achieve anything!

Just fuck off away from here and stop boring people to death with your irrelevant bullshit, that's all.
>>
>>63222792
>“That all came out of conversations about what would have happened if the Nazis all went to Argentina but then started working together again?’”
Who was it that said this wasn't jewish butthurt about nazis?
>>
>>63227834
>You mean the land that was taken from him?

Do you think Hitler was in charge during WWI or something?

Do you think the borders of Nazi Germany at the outbreak of WWII were identical to the borders at the outbreak of WWI?

Neither of those is the case, lad. But again, not arguing this shit. Simplistic depictions of the Nazis as cartoonishly evil are not an argument that the Nazis were actually good. That someone draws an ugly caricature of me does not mean I am in fact good-looking. You understand?
>>
>>63222528
Star Wars has done this from day one, m8.

Imperials were always modeled on Nazis.
>>
>>63227964
>>63227899

>I hate and fear Nazis so much that you're not ever allowed to talk about them!

But I am though. It's not my fault that this discussion makes you nervous and angry. Those are all your issues that you have to work through. The rest of us who can analyse things objectively will continue to post here about this very relevant topic.
>>
File: 1425613011531-1.jpg (268 KB, 950x749) Image search: [Google]
1425613011531-1.jpg
268 KB, 950x749
>>63222889
lenin had the right idea, my friend
>>
>>63228086
>But I am though.

Yes. On /pol/. Kindly go there directly, kthxbye.
>>
>>63228039
Simplistic depictions of the Nazis as cartoonishly evil are not an argument that the Nazis were actually good.

Literally no one is saying that though, it doesn't surprise me that that's what you would take away from this though
>>
>>63222528
I alwasy thought the Empire was more inspired by 19th century British colonialism.
>>
File: 1420709258070.jpg (125 KB, 1648x930) Image search: [Google]
1420709258070.jpg
125 KB, 1648x930
What other Nazi themes have you guys noticed in Star Wars? Personally I can not think of a more relevant period of history to analyse Star Wars from than the period of 1930s Germany.
>>
>>63228177
I suppose that does track with the accents. And George Washington secretly being the last of an ancient order of psychic monk knights.
>>
>>63228177
Empire and every Star Wars film after it was mostly inspired by Star Wars. That's this series's biggest problem.
>>
>>63226349
That would actually be pretty cool
>>
>>63228265
You're not wrong.
>>
>>63228172
>Literally no one is saying that though

I wasn't saying they were. But of course you need to mythologise my stupidity just as much as your own daring rebelliousness.
>>
>>63224538
>Being this autistic
>>
Empire has always been a nazi analogue.
>>
>>63228408
You mad, /pol/?
>>
>>63222528
>Not liking Fascist aesthetics

Pretty weak m8. They might not be good at winning wars but they sure always look rad as hell.
>>
>>63228471
Not from /pol/ but taking the time to write all that bullshit is clearly autism. Get help son.
>>
Them being Nazi as fuck was the reason I loved em as a kid anyway. I'm embracing their bitching rallies here
>>
It's an easy comparison because the Nazis were unimaginative dicks and so is the Empire. No humor. No fun. Just boring angry old men (Darth and Palpatine). The far right in every society is like that.
>>
>>63223164
at least someone is familiar with the influence of The Triumph of the Will
>>
It's no crime to be a storm trooper
fucking jews
The emperor is dead, long live the emperor
>>
File: V.jpg (150 KB, 736x921) Image search: [Google]
V.jpg
150 KB, 736x921
Remember the original "V"? It was even more blatant and lame.
>>
>>63232447

It was super blatant. Amusing to me story: I graduated film school and one of my friends went on to do a Ph.D in film. I was talking to him at a party about old-school sci-fi with respect to politics. I mentioned V as an allegory for Nazism and he was all like, "No, it was Communism, they wore red, dude, get a grip." Like not only was he convinced that the fact they wore red meant it HAD to be an allegory for Communism, that that one random feature outweighed all the historical similarities to Nazism and dissimilarities to Soviet Russia, but he clearly thought I'd made some embarrassing mistake by reading it as Nazism.

So I dunno, tl;dr lol Film Ph.Ds, I guess.
>>
File: 11767.jpg (244 KB, 314x669) Image search: [Google]
11767.jpg
244 KB, 314x669
>>63222612
>wiki
>>63222563
>>63222528
>>63222655
>>63222745
>>63222836
>>63223046
>>63224127
>>63224194
>>63224246
>>63224314
>>63224423
>>63224539
>>63225232
>>63226028
>>63226485
>>63226899
>>63227271
>>63228039
>Star Wars creator George Lucas sought to make the Galactic Empire aesthetically and thematically similar to Nazi Germany and to appear to be fascist.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Empire_(Star_Wars)

Go away triggered /pol/ aspies
>>
>>63233638
That is hilarious. Considering how bad it was and how few people watched even at the time, I love that you ever had that conversation. And you were TOTALLY right.

I lol @Film Ph.Ds with you.
>>
>>63222893
fuck me you're a faggot aren't ya jew?
>>
File: V_badge.jpg (18 KB, 300x298) Image search: [Google]
V_badge.jpg
18 KB, 300x298
>>63233638
That's hilarious. Did you point out to him that the Visitors' symbol is an abstracted swastika?
>>
>>63223164
Came into the thread to say this.
It's proof that the Republic and the Empire are both fascistic and that Space Libertarianism is the only honorable path.
>>
>>63227532
This is my problem with it too. I get it, stormtroopers were a nazi thing too, but at least palpatine wasn't a fucking Hitler in space. Also, if they're space nazis, why are they led by a fucking alien?
>>
>>63227022
>except the E11 was a british sten gun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_submachine_gun
Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.