[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
By /tv/'s endorsement i've watched "Jiro Dreams
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 13
File: jiroposter-723x1000.jpg (146 KB, 723x1000) Image search: [Google]
jiroposter-723x1000.jpg
146 KB, 723x1000
By /tv/'s endorsement i've watched "Jiro Dreams of Sushi". Fucking fascinating.
More essential documentary movies?
>>
what a fucking hack
>>
>>63221567

Cave of Forgotten Dreams

Dear Zachary, a letter to a son about his father

London, The Modern Babylon
>>
Like any intelligent, forward thinking citizens of the 21st century, my wife and I are feminists. And like any feminists we were shocked and disgusted by this movie.

Both the main character (Jiro) AND the narrator are male! If alarms aren't going off in your head so far you're probably a bigot. Things became more and more repulsive as the movie played on. All of the supporting characters are male! And even worse, almost every single character in the movie is male!

I don't care if this is a documentary. My wife left the room in tears at the end of the first hour during a particularly sickening scene where Jiro serves a room full of customers. He says (not an exact quote) "I made the meals smaller for the women and larger for the men so that everyone would finish at the same time." Things like this would be expected in a film about Adolf Hitler or Winston Churchill (both disgusting sexist pigs)but in a movie about food it was just chilling. And that wasn't even the worst part! The women in the room appeared (probably special effects or movie magic of some type) TO APPROVE OF THIS. Can you believe that?

My wife won't talk about it and I'm not sure I could if I wanted to. I finished the movie with tears in my bloodshot eyes. I can't believe we've advanced so far as a society and women are still seen as being gutter scum.

Anyone forward thinking enough to simply be on the internet, to find this movie, to read this review, will be disgusted by the brutally sexist assault on your senses and common decency this movie has gotten away with.
>>
Crumb
Vinyl
Thin Blue Line
>>
>>63221567
jiro dreams of sushi is utter crap.

you should watch avengers 2
>>
>>63221673
This is the only movie that it would have been acceptable to have more women, since it's about cooking. Which is the only skill women have.
>>
>>63221567

Grizzly Man
Man on Wire
Koyaanisqatsi

And while I think he can be very full of shit at times, Michael Moore makes really entertaining documentaries.
>>
File: 1437576589908.jpg (46 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1437576589908.jpg
46 KB, 600x400
>>63221726
>Which is the only skill women have.

None of the greatest chefs are women, champ.
>>
File: look of silence.webm (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
look of silence.webm
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>
If you got a thing for food, The Search for General Tso is a fun movie. It's super well-documented and isn't preachy, and it dives into a part of American history that a lot of people don't know/care about, the immigration of the Chinese to America.
>>
OP watch Kingdom of Dreams and Madness
>>
>>63221808

There are some great women chefs, but most of them are lesbians or very masculine. Like Cat Cora
>>
File: image.png (386 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
386 KB, 640x1136
>Bulgaria's Abandoned Children
>Children of Beslan
>Saving 10,000 - Winning a War on Suicide in Japan
>Darwin's Nightmare
>Boys for Sale
>Murder on a Sunday Morning
>Which Hunt (2008)
>I Think We're Alone Now (2008)
>Chicken Hawk
>Just Melvin, Just Evil
>Infamy (2005)
>DamNation
>BraBoys
>The Trouble with Evan
>Why We Ride
>Crossing the Line
>Children of Darkness
>Willowbrook
>Atomic Wounds
>The Most Secret Place on Earth
>Inside Honduras
>Bridge Water Triangle
>Dispaches: Killing Zone
>Russia's Toughest Prison
>Lessons From Darkness
>The Nomi Song
>Jiro Dreams of Sushi
>Redacted
>Shut up LittleMan
>Defamation
>Brothers Keeper
>HH Holmes: Americas first serial killer
>Life with Murder
>Mexico: City of Lost Girls
>The Men Who Killed Kennedy: Truth Shall Make you Free
>The Case
>Crazy Love
>Zoo
>the Missing Picture
>Nostalgia for the Night
>The Devil Came on Horseback
>Mr. Death
>Tie Xi Qu
>Koyaanisqatsi
>Carrier
>Yesterday
>Out of Control
>Reel Injun
>Beyond the Edge
>American Movie
>Camp 14
>Cave of Forgotten Dreams
>Lessons of Darkness
>La Soufrière
>On Death Row
>Wings of Hope
>Echoes From a Sombre Empire
>Let the Fire Burn
>Africa: Blood and Guts
>The Greatest Story Never Told
>North Korea - A Day in the Life
>Give up tomorrow
>>
I get that the movie was about the son living in his fathers shadow, but I felt like the director never really made the point of why Jiro makes the sushi, or even what drives him. He makes sushi all day, that's it I guess
>>
Chicken Hawk: Men Who Love Boys
Capturing the Friedmans
Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills

You want to watch movies about pedophiles and child murder, right?

These are actually really good though. Tremendously unsettling at times.
>>
File: pic1.jpg (192 KB, 680x463) Image search: [Google]
pic1.jpg
192 KB, 680x463
>>63221567
>>
>>63222006
what's that senpai
>>
>>63222078
>i can't read
>>
File: brokedownwoods.jpg (13 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
brokedownwoods.jpg
13 KB, 640x360
>No Hoop Dreams
>>
>>63221567
lightbulb theory or something
>>
parking lot movie
>>
Bitter Lake
All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace
>>
>>63221567
Collapse
Jodorowsky's Dune
The Fog of War
>>
Capturing the Friedmans, Grizzly Man, Japan: A Story of Love and Hate.
>>
>>63221772
>Grizzly Man
Honestly, it's more fascinating for what happened than for the actual film itself.
>Man on Wire
Great documentary.
>Koyaanisqatsi
Great film, but not a documentary.
>>
>>63221772
>Michael Moore makes really entertaining documentaries.
>entertaining
Beat-you-over-the-head preachiness and easy, low hanging fruit attempts at humor? They're fucking cringe worthy.
>>
>>63221966
>but I felt like the director never really made the point of why Jiro makes the sushi, or even what drives him. He makes sushi all day, that's it I guess

Some people are just autistic like that. He has a passion, doesn't think very deeply about it, it seems, and just does it and that's what he lives for.
>>
why would anyone watch some chink "make" sushi for 2 hours. btw if you don't cook the fish you aren't really doing anything
>>
File: VCE337c20.jpg (25 KB, 337x600) Image search: [Google]
VCE337c20.jpg
25 KB, 337x600
A great doc to watch in as high definition as you can get with the volume turned up to 11.
>>
>>63222397
>All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace

I loved this documentary and thought it was fantastic, but I also hate it in equal amounts. It just depressed the ever-loving shit out of me and poured in tons of apathy.
>>
>>63222762
That's some pretty weak trolling. In order to be successful, you need you have some degree of believably in your post. This is just too heavy handed. Seek subtlety in the future.
>>
>>63221673
kek
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2EQAFVSLFAQWI
>>
The Jinx!
>>
File: 88.jpg (322 KB, 800x1140) Image search: [Google]
88.jpg
322 KB, 800x1140
I honestly enjoyed it more than Jiro. Same level of dedication, expertise, and innovation, but I didn't feel like the chef was a dick. Jiro just seemed like a shit human being.
>>
File: stopmakingsense.jpg (65 KB, 455x600) Image search: [Google]
stopmakingsense.jpg
65 KB, 455x600
>>
File: Last-Waltz,-The.jpg (247 KB, 2256x3344) Image search: [Google]
Last-Waltz,-The.jpg
247 KB, 2256x3344
>>63223212
and pic related.
>>
>>63223212
>>63223251

Concerts =/= Documentaries
>>
>>63223301
Stop Making Sense was more concert than doc. The Last Waltz was clearly a doc, tho. Sure, it was a doc about a concert, but that doesn't make it a non-doc just because of the subject matter.
>>
>>63222840
The guy who writes these reviews should be a comedian, if he isn't already. His other ones are gold
>>
>>63221567
If you like things about autism then watch the louis theroux documentaries
>>
Just saw The Act of Killing. Loved it.
>>
>>63221808
>Julia Child never existed
Yeah ok.
>>
File: lake_of_fire_xlg.jpg (206 KB, 1025x1500) Image search: [Google]
lake_of_fire_xlg.jpg
206 KB, 1025x1500
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
>>63223212
>>63223251
Speaking of rock movies, Don't Look Back is essential and just came out from Criterion.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.