[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why The First Star Wars: The Force Awakens Screening Was Horrifying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10
>We showed the first cut — which was still incomplete, a complete version of the movie but not the finished version — and we showed it to Alan Horn, Bob Iger, and Alan Bergman, the three people at Disney who sat with me in the theater, and we screened the movie. And it was horrifying. I'm nervous beyond words, I'm showing this movie that is so far from finished, there's not an effect in it ... It was a lot of me giving excuses before the screening.

>Abrams admitted that after everything was over that it was a "huge relief," though he did joke that maybe all of the kind things they said to him were just lip service and intended to make him feel good because they were just being nice.

T-they really liked the movie, r-right?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-First-Star-Wars-Force-Awakens-Screening-Was-Horrifying-97227.html
>>
>JJ Abrams is a neurotic betamale Jew

is this supposed to be in any way surprising
>>
>>63214469
can you blame him though?
if he fuck is up, best case scenario, he'll never work in hollywood again
realistically, he'd be either executed or lynched a day after the premier
>>
>>63215388
>implying anyone cares about star wars at this point
>>
He was terrified because the film was nowhere near the finished article, not because the film itself is shit

/tv/ gets dumber by the day, seriously
>>
>>63214258
>you may have gone too far in a few places
>>
>>63215429
This is gonna be one of the highest grossing flicks of all time jackass
>>
Doesn't tell us anything about the quality of the movie. JJ was worried because it's fucking Star Wars and he was showing a workprint of an effects-heavy movie with no effects. And apparently the execs were even positive.

The movie might still be good, mediocre, or shit, just wait for it to come out.
>>
>>63215433
Why not both?
>>
>>63215453
>This is going to be the highest grossing film of all-time.

I don't think I've ever seen a movie where literally everyone I know, everyone at my work, everyone in my classes all say they can't wait to see it.
>>
I don't get your point OP

Have your ever presented any work or art before? Unless your full of yourself chances are you're gonna be nervous about how people will react. And even if they like it you'll probably never be happy with it
>>
>>63215485
You're a dumb kek if you really think this is going to outgross Avatar. Maybe in the US, but overseas star wars is a weak franchise that has no chance in hell of making anywhere near the over $2b that Avatar did.
>>
>>63215485
phanton menace
>>
>>63215536

You mean it was till now.

Nowadays just any big budget action trash will do hugely well in the Asian market.
>>
>>63215536
>being this delusional
>>
>>63215612
Can't wait to shitpost hard on /tv/ when it doesn't even manage to beat Titanic m8.
>>
>>63215536
>overseas star wars is a weak franchise
>amerifags actully believe this
sucks to be fat, uh?
>>
>>63215644
It is. OT made 35-40% of its gross overseas when other movies were typically making 50-55%. PT made 50-55% of its gross overseas when movies were typically making 60-65 and even 70% shares.
>>
>>63214469
>>63215388

Both parties in the studio then know what a rough cut is supposed to be and the execs know the stuff JJ was "nervous" over would be fixed in post production. The plot and major scenes I assume we're also pre approved. This is just JJ trying to show he is still a "common guy" and not part of the Disney machine
>>
File: image.jpg (182 KB, 540x755) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
182 KB, 540x755
>>63214258
So they hated it? Or they just didn't have anything specific to say?
>>
File: image.jpg (314 KB, 1920x880) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
314 KB, 1920x880
Reddit posted the Stern interview (crude language here):

http://youtu.be/Hr-H_VXm8SU
>>
>>63215536
Oh how wrong you are.

t. guy living "overseas"
>>
>>63215536
Yeah, you have no idea what you're talking about.

First of all the only reason Avatar ever grossed so much is the popularization of IMAX 3D. After that, all the blockbusters were IMAX 3D films. It's a forgettable film people just remember as alien pocahontas, no one remembers what happened. Meanwhile everyone on Earth can quote at least one line from Star Wars and Darth Vader is the most recognizable villain of all-time.

Secondly, none of the previous Star Wars films ever came out in the age of IMAX 3D (which pretty much doubles the revenue of every sold ticket). This is why all the highest grossing films now have two things in common: they're IMAX 3D and they stay in theaters a long ass time. Force Awakens doesn't only have the biggest IMAX 3D contract from Disney on almost every single theater in the US and Canada, they also convinced the movie theaters to stay open longer during the opening weeks and do showtimes at fucked up hours (5:00AM in the morning type shit).

Thirdly, China's never had the chance to watch a new Star Wars movie in theaters. The government had a ban on the series for almost 4 decades. Now they'll watch any IMAX 3D shit, which stacks up when they're the most populated country on Earth. They recently opened screenings of the entire Star Wars saga in China and it became much more popular. Pic related. It's coming out a couple weeks after the US release in China.

This movie already became the fastest pre-sold IMAX ticket record holder in about 2 days, beating the Hunger Games record 8x over. Isn't even counting the non-IMAX ticket sales, which shat all over the previous highest pre-sold gross. It's going to become the highest grossing Star Wars film in a matter of days, and the highest grossing film of all-time after the theaters keep it running for months on end due to popular demand. When you take into account the ludicrous advertising and all the kids waking up to Kylo Rens on Christmas, it's obviously going to make $3b
>>
>>63214258
He went too far in few places like Lucas
Poetry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIMWWVrVJzI
>>
>Alan Horn, Bob Iger, and Alan Bergman

God damn Walt must roll over his grave almost every single day.
>>
>>63215800
The delusion in this post is unreal.
>>
File: image_94.jpg (130 KB, 628x628) Image search: [Google]
image_94.jpg
130 KB, 628x628
>>63215800
didn't read lel
>>
File: 4chan.webm (904 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
4chan.webm
904 KB, 320x240
>>63215800
didn't read lol
>>
>>63215800
m8 i aint readin all this shit
>>
>>63215485
bump
fuck that avatar shit imagine if even the phantom menace came out now instead of 1999 with social media being as it is. star wars is such an enormous part of pop culture at this point that this movie would have to really fuck up if they didn't want to make billions
>>
>>63214258

When Lucas was screening Star Wars to Fox executives in early 1977, he inserted WW2 dogfight footage in place of the as-yet unfinished effects work. Apparently it went over like a lead balloon, thoroughly confusing the producers and making Lucas figure he was finished.
>>
>>63215921
what is this from?
>>
> I might've gone too far in a few places

I was waiting for him to say this.
>>
Eh the first star wars was a mess before the final edit too.

The problem with the prequels was that they were awful AFTER release.
>>
Well lets see what the theatrical release looks like
>>
>>63215800
I read this, and I like how you actually know what you're talking about unlike the losers who typed "Didn't read, lel".

You practically won the argument. GG.
>>
File: 06961-Laughing-horse.jpg (187 KB, 1389x944) Image search: [Google]
06961-Laughing-horse.jpg
187 KB, 1389x944
>>63215536
>You're a dumb kek if you really think this is going to outgross Avatar
I'm going to screencap this

It's about the most hilarious /tv/ can get tbqh familiar
>>
>>63215388

One can hope
>>
>>63215635
Those delicious tears will be delicious
>>
>implying the most manchild friendly movie of the year won't make a fucking mint in this era of nothing but manchildren
>>
Bane?
>>
>>63216376
Are you implying that they DIDN'T alienate at least half of the established manchild audience?
>>
>>63216095
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lrxt5RU5Kk
>>
>>63215388
>Jew in Hollywood
>never work again after a massive failure
You funny guy.
>>
This movie could be a dumpster fire and it wouldn't matter. A billion faggots will still pay money to see it along with every other Star Bores crap. Just like they did with the prequels.
>>
>>63216854
This is why I couldn't make it in the military.
I'd bust a nut laughing if that happened to me.
Then I'd bust the other nut doing all the punishment push-ups.
>>
>>63217785
This right here. They could literally just film 120 minutes of a pile of shit on screen and people would still come to watch it.
No one would listen to the people who have seen it calling it a pile of shit, they'd be like "no, you're just exaggerating"
And the people who saw would be like "You don't get it, the movie is literally 120 minutes of shit on the screen. LITERALLY"
>>
>>63215388
I don't know what would be more depressing, JJ being lynched if TFA turns out to be shit or that people actually care that much about children's movies that they'd kill a man over it.
>>
>>63215800
>toy sales are included in box office gross
Other than that, pretty spot on.
>>
>>63216584
Every single one of the "alienated" manchildren are going to go watch the movie regardless.
>>
>>63215835
>>63215875
>>63215921
What a bunch of faggots, lol. Got absolutely btfo and so they just say "lol didn't read"
>>
File: i simply am not there.jpg (59 KB, 992x558) Image search: [Google]
i simply am not there.jpg
59 KB, 992x558
Just looked up these execs. God, it's so horrifying. It's like 'They Live' with leftards. Imagine having to be in the same wagon of the train as these 'people', breathing the same air as they look down upon you as some sort of pleb bydlo.
>>
>THEY'LL SEE IT ANYWAY
>>
File: JewJewAbrams.jpg (39 KB, 341x383) Image search: [Google]
JewJewAbrams.jpg
39 KB, 341x383
>>63218904

By the way, has anyone noticed that Jar Jar Abrams looks like the yellow dude from Sin City?
>>
>>63215388
>if he fuck is up, best case scenario, he'll never work in hollywood again
Stop, I can only get so hard at the thought
>>
>>63218904
>JJ being lynched
>depressing or a bad thing
You just look around and you see the whitest fucking room
>>
>>63219277
>that ass nose gene
>>
>>63214258
>Your movies plot and characters can't stand on their own without cgi vomit all over the screen to compensate.

It's sounds like it's going to be shit, JJ.
>>
YFW one of the next Star Wars movies will be done by Pixar
>>
>>63214258
I don't know if they this is going to be a stinker or not, but it is a true point that they start screenings way too early before adding effects in to get a good gauge of what the movie will actually be like. Sometimes they go so far as to insert storyboards with narration to patch over planned cgi-intensive scenes.
>>
>>63215441

>it's stylistically designed to be that way but they can diminish the effects of it.
>>
>>63214258

>Jew playing a role where he is victimizing and tries to illicit sympathy from it.

Typical.
>>
>>63215485
What are you, five? There's constantly movies like that.
>>
>>63215800
>theaters keep it running for months on end due to popular demand.

I don't know about that. Die hards may see it a bunch of times but I have a feeling most normies will only see it once and that will be enough for them. Unless the movie is incredible but everything's that has come out about it so far indicates it's bland and lackluster.
>>
>>63215832
Why? Those merchants turned Disney into the 2nd largest media conglomerate.
>>
>>63215536
I saw pictures of a Chink airlines painting their planes like R2-D2, is all that just a ruse?
>>
>>63214258
Well it's too late to change anything since it's stylistically designed to be that way
>>
>>63216031
>he inserted WW2 dogfight footage in place of the as-yet unfinished effects work
THE MADMAN
>>
>>63215800
You couldn't be more of a fucking idiot if you tried. Star wars will make a shit load of money, but your naive belief it will reach anywhere near the top is sickening every time you post. There's nothing, NOTHING that will push this movie that high. Daisy's killer jaw will see to that. And the fact that we know the movie sucks as it is.
>>
>>63215485
Exactly, this is going to be record-breaking, across the board. I don't think I've seen a marketing campaign work this well. Not even for Marvel.
>>
>>63215429
Bait
>>
File: 1435470093845.png (74 KB, 133x232) Image search: [Google]
1435470093845.png
74 KB, 133x232
>>63215536
>Overseas, Star Wars is a weak franchise
>>
>>63215485
Further proving how normie a.k.a. reddit it is.
>>
>>63215800
>alien pocahontas
>this forced meme again
Do you even have opinions outside of /tv/ memes?
>>
>>63221461
People predicted the entire plot and themes of the movie before it came out. It wasn't difficult.
>>
>>63221562
So? Only plebs care about plot, themes and character development shit.
>>
>>63221461

> movie features giant, blue, humanoid space cats, wearing Native American hairstyles and imitating their culture
> ONLY /TV/ COULD'VE DRAWN SUCH A CONCLUSION FROM THIS BRICK OVER THE HEAD SYMBOLISM

bro
>>
>>63214258
>tfw he went too far on a few places
>>
>>63217873
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>63220904
>it's stylistically designed to be that way

is this the next 'it's just a prank bro'?
>>
>>63215453
u youngsters are retarded. Everyone thought EP. 1 was going to be awesome and it is SHIT.

u hipster faggot
>>
>>63214258
>this shameless undervalued reverse psycholog PR
you niggas will fall for this hook, line and sinker
>>
>>63219169
TLDR
>>
>>63219392
S-Snoke?
>>
>>63215800
HEY!

I'm not reading all this shit!
>>
>>63215433
>He was terrified because he thought industry vets didn't know how films were made or what editing is
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.