[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fmg/ Filmaker General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 19
Didn't see another thread so I figured I'd make one.
>glassblowing guy from the other night

Who has experience working with no team? Being the only one to do everything?

Do you like it or hate it and why?

pic related its my rig
>>
>OP here

I have been working without a team in my endeavors(film and entertainment aspects) for about the last 3 years.

I like being the only one on the team because I don't have to worry about shit not getting done. And if it doesn't get done then I'm the only one to blame for it.

What I don't like about it is that I some times have to outsource work, either for not knowing how to do whatever, or not having the equipment.

I feel at times having a team to push me to do greater for them kind of helps me get the motivation to stay 100% full steam ahead. But on the other hand Im an introvert so its hard to mesh with people at first.

^just answering my own question

pic related:
Shot in the dead of night during a lightning storm
>>
File: IMG_20140603_034254_836.jpg (372 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140603_034254_836.jpg
372 KB, 1944x2592
bump with some video props for upcoming video
>>
no one around?
>>
>>
>>
File: reservoir-dogs-poster.jpg (208 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
reservoir-dogs-poster.jpg
208 KB, 1000x1500
some favorite movies and shows
anyone feel free to jump in here

>pic related
>>
bump with another favorite so you can get an idea of genre and influence.
>>
File: p8616809_d_v7_aa.jpg (138 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
p8616809_d_v7_aa.jpg
138 KB, 480x720
slight ties to this one

i like real horror
or the portrayal of real horror
>>
File: p162706_p_v7_ad.jpg (185 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
p162706_p_v7_ad.jpg
185 KB, 480x720
action wise

another one similar to this with high influence value is momento
>>
File: p10535309_b_v8_aa.jpg (183 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p10535309_b_v8_aa.jpg
183 KB, 960x1440
drama/politics
>>
Going to grab some coffee and do my caregiver work. ill leave my window open in hopes there some other like minded people waking up
>>
>>63214057
Working on a personal script at the moment, but I'm looking to write something light and silly that I can film quickly. Perhaps an action script.
>>
>>63214516
That one is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>3214057

It's impossible to do well because the your can't pull the focus and operate the camera at the same time. If you go auto-focus it's going to jar the viewer. It might be possible if you shoot a LOT of coverage and edit around the the auto focus.

Also, the audio recording will suffer unless your camera has mic inputs for all the actors, or you dub all the dialogue later.

Or you can shoot it shaking camera amateur style, but it's a bit like covering your meal with shitty sauce. The audience will know you're just cutting corners.
>>
It's almost impossible to make a well made movie without a solid team. Just pray that you go along well with your crew. Tensions during a shooting is a true poison. Up to you, if you are the director, to be strong enough to earn the respect of your crew, but don't forget to hear what they have to say too.

On another note, I work on a horror movie project. It was supposed to be a short or medium lenght movie, it turned out te be a full lenght movie. Writing is not the hardest part. Neither are storyboarding, designs, etc. The hardest parts are getting the money, and gathering an interested and solid team. That's what scares me right now on my project, and that's what made me fail my previous project (an adventure movie). Half of the crew wasn't available anymore two weeks before the shooting (for those who answered me) = no movie. So, always search for the ones ready to involved themselves 100% in the project.
>>
>>63216012
Got a trailer?
>>
>>63216181
For what ? The adventure movie ? It never had the chance to come out of the pages of the script, unfortunately.

For the horror movie, I'm still at the writing part. I finished it but I need to do some re-writing. So I sent it to some friends to tell me what's good and what need to be changed. Once I decide that the final draft is done, I will start the pre-production and gather a crew. For the financial part, I have some production societies where I live, and if nothing works, I can still try crowd founding. So, no, unfortunatly, no trailer available yet ! But I hope so, one day, best case scenario next year.
>>
>>63216357
Awesome, good stuff.

Wish I could contribute more, but all I have to my name is a couple shitty youtube shorts, one I made in high school.
>>
>>63216385
I started with a short too, you know. In my university, one of the classes teached us to do a movie. So we split in two teams, two differents movies (actually, the class was separated in different thematics : documentary, fiction, animation, etc. I was in "Fiction"). I volunteered to be the director of the movie, and it turned to be a horror movie during the writing phase. An cinema student association gave us something like 200-300 euros I think, we asked for the authorisation to shoot in a theater and we made our thing in 5 days. Unfortunately, the experience was chaotic. Most of us were beginers, we had a very short time to make the movie so it ended up to be a bitter experience for me. But we made it and it's something I can put on my resumee.
It's not the quality of what you did that matters (well it matters to a certain extent), but the simple fact that you made it is something positive and should inspire you to the next step. See ? I didn't give up even if that short movie was made in suffering and that my previous project failed. One day or another, it will work.
>>
>>63216628
Oh yeah, I'm not saying I'm discouraged. Just saying I haven't made much.

Ended up making the high school one in two hours(writing and all), and all things considered it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3rZJYEz7Rg
>>
>>63215721
some comedy, some horror, good direction all around. the girl in the barrel hits in the feels if you got a kid
>>
>>63216012
>>63216181
>>63216357
>>63216385
>>63216628
>>63216714
all I've got is some older music videos, some stuff for uni classes, and then 4 projects for a client I picked up locally. It all helps the never ending final project and skills.

lets say funding aside, what would be your ideal crew number (going with the original topic)

also op here
pic related:
screenshot from one of the videos for the local client
>>
>>63216714
Well, yeah, it's not that bad. Maybe the music is a little too loud during the second half though. Liked the hoodie man in the background.

You know, continue writing small short ideas like that, you know, concepts. Find a friend or two to make them (really motivated friends). Don't hesitate to make storyboards. With a better camera it could give something nice (every smartphone can have a good camera, only problem will be the sound. You can have great film function inside photo camera : that's what we use for shooting our short).

Once you made several of these film concepts, maybe you will feel like you made much. And then you can develop one of these concepts into a longer movie. If it's solid, you have a good chance to make it, buddy.
>>
>>63216894
Something exceedingly small.

If it's a short, then 5 or 6 people.
>>
>>63216955
Thanks, man. I appreciate that.

Talking with some friends to make a little action short for the fuck of it. Gonna try and make it the best it can look.
>>
>>63216989
in a short Id agree depending on the concept
actors/actress don't count as part of the team unless they are the actors as well

id say 3-5

This whole release was done by me alone
final project is 27 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3awuB3F5IdA
>>
>>63216894
Ideal crew member ? Basing on my experience, you need : - the director (obviously)
- the assistant director (if you are director, you don't have multiple arms and you need someone to help you) He could give you new ideas too.
-Cameraman : the director can hold the camera, but someone can make it. It can be a kind of director of photography too.
- Someone for the lights
-Someone for the sound.
- A script girl/boy, very important.
- One person or two for all the side things : lunch, gathering the rushes and organizing them, etc.
-If you're doing a fantasy/sc-fi/horror movie, someone for the make-up and for the post-prod SFX

So, for a short movie, I'd say around 10 people is good (then you have to add the actors).
>>
>>63217039
Go for it ! Pro tip : if you want to do an action movie, and you need weapons, buy some cheap plastic airsoft. Within a certain range of price (like 50-60 euros for me, so maybe around the same in dollars), you can have convincing replicas. You're not going to do a professional movie and all so it is not a problem if they don't act like real weapons. A little manipulation on After Effects and it will do.
>>
>>63217161
That's what I'm planning on doing. Thanks, man.
>>
>>63217720
You're welcome ! Last thing, if you're planning to shoot in a public place, it might be wise to tell the authorities about it (depends when and where you want to shoot). Good luck, man !
>>
>>63214448
>>63214487
>>63214516
>>63214547
>>63214613
You have shit taste.
>>
Made shitty horror short-film this year.
Then made one spot for Finnish Cancer Foundation. It got good recognition and its now airing in local library nonstop.
>>
>>63217957
you have the short film on youtube?
>>
>>63217979
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvG90Rh6fQw
There you go.
I've pasted in here a few times.
>>
>>63217857
Thank you for your opinions
>>
>no car
>live in ghetto
h o p e l e s s
>>
>>63214057
Filmmaking is a team effort.

I wont start a project if the heads arent there: Artdirector, D.o.P, Producer and sounddirector.

The D.o.P will usually add people he trusts for Gaffer and 1st AC.

As director ill usually look for an editor I can trust and a first AD.

The heads are important because they add alot of creativity within their own departments.

--
Im still working on my docu-series pilot. And doing some small editing jobs. But I'll also be editing a new music video for a friend. Pic related.

I havnt seen any other stills yet, I hope it has some good material.
>>
>>63217979
i like it is not that bad.

Good photography and sound.
>>
File: screen1.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
screen1.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>63218011
>>63218202
Yeah, it's not shitty. Good idea too !

Here, have a screencap from the horror movie I did for uni, as I said earlier. I can't put it on Youtube for legal reasons (the sound designer who helped us on post-prod let us use some musics but we don't hae rights on it so we can't put it on internet. We had an original music put our teacher didn't like it).

Here some context : it's a slasher. Some animal rights activists, wearing animal masks, come into a theater to protest against a play in which the costumes are made with real fur. Little did they know that someone inside the theater was ready to do anything to let the play going on...

Pic related.
>>
>>63214057

My short film got screened in Dublin last night, alongside with a few others. Turnout was modest but people enjoyed it, I've milked it all year so Im moving on to a new project and uploading this one soon. Here's the trailer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lTvpV8eKPiQ
>>
>>63218661
Hey, Birdbrains guy! Glad to see the screening went well.
>>
>>63218595
i like the idea... want to see more
>>
File: screen2.png (2 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
screen2.png
2 MB, 1366x768
>>63218727
Here, have another screen cap. As you can see, we really went down the road of color filters, something like Suspiria.
>>
File: screen3.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
screen3.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>63218846
Here some more tease for you guys. It's a shame that, until someone makes a new soundtrack, I can't put it on Youtube.
>>
>>63218696

Cheers man, it was the first one shown so I got to relax and enjoy the rest of the films. My next project is a short film, part of a collaboration homage to B movies in general, it will be four main shorts and a few fake trailers inbetween. If it doesn't work out I will still get at least another short done
>>
There are only two kinds of directors - those that mistreat their crew and make shit films, and those that buy Panara.
>>
File: screen4.png (2 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
screen4.png
2 MB, 1366x768
>>63218964
Another one, mostly to keep the thread alive.
>>
>>63218595
Holy shit, too bad cant see this. Really like the idea!
>>
File: screen5.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
screen5.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>63219150
Last bump.
>>
>>63218971
Sorta like Grindhouse?
>>
>>63219042
You forgot the third kind.
>those that can't get a crew in the first place
Which is probably everyone in this thread.
>>
>>63219856

Yeah, like that and ABCs of Death
>>
>>63220175
Sounds dope.
>>
>>63214057

I work AC in a team. It's good.

Wish we could get more work though... : (

being in a crew is better than working alone. more ideas, more division of labor. One lame/stupid person can really fuck up a crew though. Everyone needs to be cool.
>>
Anyone have any tips on writing/filming an action scene?

I've been getting into kung fu esque movies lately, and I'd like to try my hand at something like that. Not necessarily as complex, but the general idea.
>>
>>63218971
>>63218661
>>63218112

Congrats. I have seen that trailer posted before. Was it a big festival and did you get any response?

This weekend we won the Best male actor award for our lead actor. We had more nominations but we didnt win those.
>>
this thread is killing any hopes i had at actually doing it. you're all basically saying skeleton crews are worthless and just churn out shit. if that's the case, i'm fucked.
>>
>>63218661
where can i see this whole thing?
>>
>>63220444
Writing, I'd say that you should describe what's going on as precisely as you can. If you want to do a kung fu movie, it's a bit different, I guess. You should contact someone who practice kung fu to help you create a good choregraphy (so in that case, the fight scene can't really describe in the screenplay, it's more something that happen during the filming).

Filming, well, it is all subjective. I tend to prefer when action scene are filmed with medium/long shots, nice editing and close ups when it's really usefull. The action has to be enjoyable and the audience has to understand what's going on without having a headache. You must have a great sense of space too. The scene should not be static.
>>
>>63220766

Soon, Im pretty much done with entering it in stuff so Im gonna upload it to my channel before Christmas.
>>
>>63220719
Nobody's saying that skeleton crews are worthless. Up to 10 person, it's still skeleton crew. It is nothing comparing to bigger productions. I'm pretty sure that all the movies described and shown here were made with small crews.

And don't lose hope man. Everything that has been said here must inspire you. It shows that people can actually do it. We live in a great era for one thing : Internet. Social medias provide you the opportunity to contact other people around you who might be interested.
>>
Editing up a friends artfag mumblecore movie right now. Worked with a handful of people and a budget of 100. Im starting to really dig this style of moviemaking.
>>
Ive been shooting with the RED on a few shoots now
>>
Is that your FS100 OP?
>>
>>63214057

A couple of skits I did recently

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h8pRqcs9quQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XBwkHzlf1cI
>>
>>63214057

A couple of skits I did recently

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h8pRqcs9quQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XBwkHzlf1cI
>>
>>63218112
stills looking good man. Thanks for the advice and opinions. Im still in school for Digital Cinematography
>>
>>63218964
what kinda sound track you looking for and how long?

glassblowing guy op here btw
>>
>>63219940
great positivity
>>
>>63220444
dem trips. film riot on youtube has a lot of good effect tricks(one for shotgun blast but would work with hand to hand combat) indy mogul works well for ghetto dollies ect
>>
>>63220893
this anon gets its

op here
and as i agree a crew is definitely better in the end, things can be done with a single person. My client has been happy with the work I have been putting out and its a paid gig. So as long as the client likes it, it can't really be shit work. I would like to work with a bigger crew, just don't have any friends anymore just lame associates. Building a solid crew will take time and meeting people

never lose sight, just adapt to your situation
>>
>>63222640
its the fs700, but yes it is mine. not rented
>>
File: DSCF4311.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1328) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4311.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1328
>>63223897
Thx. Stick with it and help others out. They will AC and gaffer for you as you will for them. And later they will call on you for paid gigs.

>>63224151
Agreed. Some expensive corporate videos are made by skeletoncrew. But for serious narrative filmmaking a crew ill have to be there. Or else its to much to handle. Check website for crewmembers and projects you can join, you dont need friends. actually dont do it with friends at all because its horrible.
>>
Working on a short film right now in the writing stage (its sort of about how the mafia are living right now in 2015, with hints of the Bannano family). Going to be making it for university credit, but I dont think I'll be given any sort of budget.
Any tips for how to get some cash from here or there?
>>
Currently working on two scripts, one for use, the second solely for amusement.

The first script is centered around a teen in highschool, and it's super narration heavy. It's a drama/dark comedy about a Junior in high school who has anxiety and you get into his head and he narrates how he percieves the world and it sort of blends into the visual portrayal of the world and get's trippy.

The second one is a sequel to Rosenthal's Halloween 2, retconning every other sequel, set thirty year's after the original Halloween/2, but the twist is that it isn't Michael Myer's, it's a collection of copy cat killers. The goal with it is to humanize the characters and avoid all cliches, and avoiding all traditional horror.

So, for example, instead of any jump scares or gore, the horror is in watching a character who you love, someone with a real story who you root for, lose their life and not on their terms. It's an emotional horror, almost like a drama. It's almost finished and I love the style, I'm insanely proud. Any feedback?
>>
I'm going to begin work on a short film/music video soon, I'm just waiting to get all the equipment I need before beginning to shoot.

It's to go along with a concept EP I'm making.

The general concept is that the character of the EP died (spoiler, they actually committed suicide), and are in a type of purgatory. An almost completely isolated place, save for a very few others. (but are actually just reflections of certain strong emotions emitted by the character before committing suicide).

In this purgatory, the character is answering for their sins. Skipping a whole bunch of stuff, the character meets a character who is essentially God. The character kills this figure. Although this is just a representation of the suicide, without going into the symbolism behind it all.
>>
>>63214057

Would a "Sweded" version of TDKR plane scene be funny (for you) or is it going too far?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnc8o257Yzg

These are good.
>>
>>63226376
if you're talking about the world trade(911) i wouldn't give a fuck. most muricans would be all like, omg you're such a disgrace. but i look at it like what is art if it doesn't piss at least one person off. whether it be the content or the person
>>
>>63225864
First script can be nice. Like a neo-teen movie.

For the Halloween sequel, if I get it right, the shock value of horror won't come from the death scene themselves, but from the background of the character's dying ? Like the audience will not think "Man, that's a brutal death" but rather "Fuck, she/he was so young and full of project, a whole life worth living wasted like that ?". I like the idea and it really could make a good horror movie. Trust me. Change some things related to Halloween (because otherwise it won't get made) and make a new movie, there is some potential.
>>
>>63223954
Something like the one that we used. A creepy low tone ambiant music, and a recurring theme for one of the character.

But I'm not in a big hurry. The sad truth is that the movie itself doesn't really live up to its visuals. When we shoot the thing, we weren't aware that, because of the masks, the actors' voices were hardly audible. So we embraced the weird-silly-goofy tone of the movie and replaced the voices with actual animal cries. The problem is that the editors were fed up with the movie, wanted to move on and refused to put subtitles. Result is that the story is an incomprehensible mess. It was the only main critic we had after the projection.

Anyway, when I was picking the screenshots to show you guys, I realized I was quite happy of what I've done with the visuals, considering the stuff we had and the little time available for the filming.
>>
I'm going to begin production on a small project soon but I'm basically pulling the budget out of my ass at this point and I'm concerned about a few things:

>I have a Canon XH-A1S 3CCD camera with a lense, planning to buy a boom mic and a directional mic for the camera. However, I do not have anything for lighting and I'll be shooting outside for a good portion of the film, with another portion inside. Knowing nothing about lighting and nobody that does, my question is: what do I need for lighting, and what are the differences when it comes to shooting inside or out?
>>
File: spot.jpg (144 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
spot.jpg
144 KB, 640x640
>>63228643
It depends on what you want. I'll say that shooting with a natural light can give a certain look to the picture. A lightbeam/spot can smooth things up, give a warm feel to the picture, erase some imperfection, offers some possibilites of contrast. It assures you a good luminosity too. But for an outside filming, lights are really useful by night. However, they are always useful indoors (the lights inside the room maybe not be enough, lack of luminosity). Some of the things I said for outdoor works too for indoors. With a color filter in front of the projector, you can give a whole new look to the picture. But use it with care, it's extremely hot.

Last time I checked, there were spots for around 100-110 euros. I don't know if it's still available, or if it's true quality, but to begin a small production, it might be enough.

Pic related looks like what I used when I did my short uni movie. The things around the light are adjustable, depending of the amount of luminosity you want. Other models exists, though.
>>
>>63224053
Fucking love Film Riot.
>>
>>63229059
Thanks for the tip. Will do.

Btw does anybody have any comment on the camera that I described? Because I've never seen what some of the stuff I've shot before would look like in post production, so I was going if the camera itself would be an issue before shooting the production.
>>
>>63229212
I can't help you with your camera. Each one will give a different picture. Try and check the settings and see what you prefer. Watch out for the light. If it's night time when you're shooting, the lack of light could be an issue regarding the quality/definition of the picture. Be sure that what you want to show has enough light on it. I had the problem on one shot for my movie, we didn't see anything, it was too obscur. We were forced to light up the whole thing during post-prod and it looked a bit like shit.

So the camera might no be a problem, as long as the picture look good and you have enough luminosity.
>>
>>63214057
I like working with small crews, it really helps to have at least two other people (depending on the scope of what you're making this may be more) to help you do various things and help things get done at a better pace, without being hard to manage. Really the law of diminishing returns is an important factor, each person you add contributes a little bit less than the person before them and eventually it reaches a point where you're decreasing productivity, and also there's the money aspect where each member of your team is going to cost you money.
>>
>>63217161
good sound design goes a long way in selling plastic guns as being made of metal
>>
>>63229212
>>63229390
Oh, yeah, one last thing before I leave. This tip can be useful for everyone on this thread who didn't knew this: don't forget the white balance before filming. It's a bit complex to explain, so I invite you to look it up.
>>
>>63214057
nice FS100 breh, my favorite for personal projects as well
>>
>>63227965
i meant like do you need 5 minutes of sound. half hour of sound. more less.

I'm considering making you a couple beats for you(if interested) to use to be able to put it out. just need more details ect.
>>
>>63228643
if you can keep 90% of your location outside you'll have no problems with lightning. indoors if your camera is beauty enough you should be able to fuck with your aperture and get it to light up better. aperture, gain/iso, and shutter speed are your best friends above all else. IMO
>>
>>63229090
between them and indy mogul, a one man team becomes a lot easier brother lol
>>
>>63229566
c02 pellet guns can be bought in replica versions. at least here in murica
>>
>>63229579
can confirm white balancing is important but its just a matter of figuring out how your camera makes this happen. I've still got a lot to learn on my rig but it also has an automatic white balance and it seems to turn out well. however i don't like doing anything with auto. in uni they teach me manual, manual, manual settings
>>
>>63230498
I really like it. i can do anything from spec commercials, to live news, to music videos, to full feature films. it really has a broad spectrum
>>
>>63232544
>>63232507
>>63232451
>>63232337
>>63232269
>>63226681
>>63224174
>>63224151
this is all glass blowing guy OP

heres something i worked on for a local artist. i didn't do any editing and didn't realize the importance of color correction at this stage. it was when i first received my rig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGJnGxmOwFQ
>>
>>63228643
>>63229212
>>63229390
>>63232337
also, always keep in mind the time that you are actually shooting. if your scene is spoused to be at dusk, you can't shoot it at high noon, but you can shoot it at 7-9am to get that same look in the video i just posted see>>63232679
you can start to tell when its getting darker outside even though the windows arnt open
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.