[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is he considered so great again? I watched a few of his films,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12
File: 1401039327937.jpg (84 KB, 845x900) Image search: [Google]
1401039327937.jpg
84 KB, 845x900
Why is he considered so great again?
I watched a few of his films, and the only decent one was Enter The Dragon.
>>
BIG
>>
>>63211233
YELLOW
>>
YELLOW
>>
at the time it was revolutionary. the movies are old
>>
He was charismatic, mysterious and died young.

That tends to develop a cult following.
>>
>>63211207
He was a real fighter.

That's it.
>>
>>63211276
HERE WE ARE NOOOOOW
ENTERTAIN UIS

EY
>>
>>63211277
Lol, no.

>>63211207
Name another martial artist anywhere near his fluidity, speed and skill.
>>
>>63211207
He was literally so fucking fast sometimes that the post film people actually had to slow down some of his moves.

Also, everyone who has ever met him says that he was a really chill guy.

Dat cat petting hnnnnnnng
>>
>>63211207
Why is he considered so great again?
It wasn't because of his movies son.
>>
>>63211291
>Name another martial artist anywhere near his fluidity, speed and skill.
>No suggestions.

That's why he is so good.
>>
>>63211360
sounds like an urban legend
>>
File: Sit_the_fuck_down.gif (495 KB, 500x193) Image search: [Google]
Sit_the_fuck_down.gif
495 KB, 500x193
>>63211207
He changed the way fight choreography was done. He was one of the first really popular Asian figures in American television and movies. He also did some really incredible things health/body building or physically that weren't really being achieved before him.
>>
>>63211686
He also invented MMA.
>>
>>63211207

California at the time was INSANE and there was a huge Asian fetish.

Bruce Lee was brought into the fold because homosexuals in Hollywood liked his body.
>>
I'll just drop this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SncapPrTusA
>>
If you had watched more martial arts movies than Ip Man you would understand.
>>
He was an impressive fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdv_9MhOSoI
>>
>>63211207
because he had charisma, looks, and was the GOAT you dumb pigfucker.
>>
>>63211207
he was a good stunt actor
>>
>>63211867
that's why he's a playable character in ufc game
>>
>>63211995
Not OP but the only martial arts film I have seen was Ip Man. It was pretty good, what would you recommend from the 60-70's era?
>>
>>63211991
>>63212004

that's fake m80s, refrain from posting it in a serious matter please.
>>
>>63211291
Fedor would fucking destroy Bruce Lee.
>>
>>63212122
>Ip Man
>pretty good

was garbage chinese propaganda
>>
>>63212161
lmao no
>>
>>63212161
Probably, but Fedor was born after Bruce's death, so there is that.
>>
File: 1448878295772s.jpg (6 KB, 250x214) Image search: [Google]
1448878295772s.jpg
6 KB, 250x214
>>63212151
>>
>>63212190
stfu weeb
>>
>>63211991
wouldnt a nunchuck crack the the ping pong ball? especially how hard he's supposedly hitting it
>>
>>63212122
The thing is that Bruce Lee basically started these types of movies. Before him there were mainly sword fighting movies, where the most well known example today is probably The One Armed Swordsman with "Jimmy" Wang Yu from 1967. If you watch it, you will see that it's very dated, and the difference between that and Bruce Lee's movies are enormous in most ways. Bruce Lee's movies are still very much watchable today, as the action is still good and well filmed. After Bruce Lee's success, the Shaw Brothers company started making a lot of "kung fu" movies, which many fans of the genre loves. The difference between those and Bruce Lee's movies are still quite huge though, with it's fantasy settings and also lacking Bruce Lee's hard hitting action (Which you don't really see much of until the 90's). Personally I'm not a fan of those, and I rather watch Jimmy Wang Yu's movies, especially Master of the Flying Guillotine. If you are into the modern the slick modern action, or even Bruce Lee, you will find these lacking in many ways, but I would still recommend Master of the Flying Guillotine as it's still a really entertaining movie.
>>
>>63212329
It's a CGI ball.
>>
>>63212161
Any mma fighter would destroy 45kilo actor Bruce Lee.
>>
>>63212428
>45kilo
it's kg you dumb burger
>>
>>63212428
This.
Bruce does look cooler though.
>>
>>63212428
He was 165 pounds at 5'6"

or ~74 kg at 1.71m. He was a brick shit house.
>>
>>63213139

he had very small body fat, literal pure muscle.

there's a reason that even after 40 years or so after his death you can still see his face in popular media
>>
File: 55fefb1c2343_sf_9.jpg (45 KB, 480x848) Image search: [Google]
55fefb1c2343_sf_9.jpg
45 KB, 480x848
>>63213139
>5'6" is 1.71m

when will they learn to convert?
>>
>>63211867

Stop
>>
Fantastic fighter, popularized Martial Arts Films in the West, but his films were more concerned with showing his skills than being a good action film with high and lows in fights; he just kills everyone with one strike
>>
>>63213467
>b-b-but my UFC!
>m-my BJJ!
JKD embodies everything that MMA went to be, you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>63212381
Im into American New Wave (sometimes called New Hollywood, im not American so unsure what you guys refer to it as but late 60s-1980). I also like noir, war and westerns, especially spaghetti westerns. I'm not big on use of CGI so I hate modern action flicks. I'll check out Bruce Lee first.
>>
>>63211291
Tony Jaa.
>>
>>63213974
Bartitsu came before. Mixing martial arts isn't a new concept.
>>
>>63214918
Good choice. He's not as fast as Bruce was though. And he doesn't seem to have much wresling/ground game (at least in his movies). But he's a lot more flexible and started as a stunt guy.
>>
>>63211207
Watch interviews with him and you'll see. People had rarely seen Asians on TV and never really seen true martial arts except boxing on TV either.

Interviewers ask him shit like what it's like to be a Chinaman in America. Enter the Dragon may seem like a tame Dr No clone today but if you imagine watching after a lifetime of watching the sort of fighting from the original batman show or the basic army combatives style fighting of black and white movies (if they're grounded in reality at all) it would be pretty awesome to see what a man can do.

Bruce Lee made Kung Fu and Asian martial arts explode in the 70s and 80s so we're well used to seeing it now but not back then.
>>
Hes a chink who thought he was hard put him up against any real American white boxer and he would get rekt. Also most of the shit about him is made uphill to sell some movies. People eat up anything, like it or not he was an inferior chink who was an entertainer at the end of the day
>>
>>63215414
Actually, Bruce beat a boxer using only straight punches and Wing Chun traps.

But that's because he was more skilled than the guy he was facing. After that, he incorporated western boxing into his techniques pretty heavily.
>>
>>63215414
Bruce was born in California. He was a boxer and a fencer, not just a kung-fu guy.
>>
>>63215662
and a dancer.
>>
>>63211207
I could beat Bruce Lee's skeleton
>>
>>63212190
all martial arts movies are, Japanese, Chinese doesn't matter. Kurosawa's samurai flicks were great propaganda films boosting the nations idea that the Japanese were always a warrior nation, Bruce Lee's films featured Japs as antagonists as if to prove that China has better martial traditions etc. heck, Baramui Fighter a Korean movie about the origin of Kiokushin Karate got made only because the filmmakers made a big deal to show that the protagonist who invents this style of karate is not only a better karateka then the Japs but also is Korean.

nagging about MA movies being propaganda films is retarded, because they always were propaganda films.
>>
>>63215962
fucking far asia and their orgy of hate
>>
>>63212161
>>63212428
>sports fighting

When will blow-job jutsu fags learn, groundwork loses a hell of a lot of relevance outside of a safe, controlled environment. Sure BJJ is top tier 1-on-1 on a padded mat, but if you pulled that shit in a bar fight against a couple of drunken arm-swingers you would get your shit slapped.
>>
File: method-man.jpg (149 KB, 486x594) Image search: [Google]
method-man.jpg
149 KB, 486x594
little asian dude beating up the cops man
>>
>not liking THE BIG BOSS
>thinking Enter the Dragon is better than the vastly superior Way of the Dragon
>not enjoying Chuck Norris getting rekt in the coliseum
>>
>>63216602
>Bruce
>'little'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWgH5P5FXz8

He was pretty buffed for the time period.
>>
>>63216657
WotD is the best BL movie as far as I'm concerned. I enjoyed them all (except for Game of Death), but Way was so fucking good.
>>
all Bruce Lee movies are shit except the parts when he is kicking people around then those few minutes are pure magic
>>
>>63211207
>>63211260

fight choreography was absolute shit at the time. His fight scenes might not look like anything special now, but they were far ahead of their time. Other movies just had that stupid grab-their-wrist-and-throw-them move that looks really stupid in hindsight.
>>
Bet y'all niggas didn't play Dragon for Megadrive/ Genesis and beat the Asian Grim Reaper 1v1 for the right to not die. Bruce canon lost that fight, obviously
>>
>>63215414
It depends on the size and strength of the boxer relative to him but if all things were equal and they were outside the ring and in an actual fight, Bruce would have fucking destroyed your average boxer of the time. They simply wouldn't have known how to handle his leg work and they wouldn't be prepared for his actual, life threatening techniques (gouging eyes, attacking the groin, etc.) since they're so used to clean fights. I don't even worship Bruce like a lot of others do but lets be honest now.
>>
File: blfbftg.jpg (721 KB, 1910x2915) Image search: [Google]
blfbftg.jpg
721 KB, 1910x2915
>>63216948
>>
>>63216964
Personally I believe a modern MMAist of some renown matched appropriately by weight would likely get the better of him, especially if they had more of a grappling background. I can't imagine Lee not being fucked on the ground either. What he tried to do was not dissimilar to MMA now, but he was doing it on his own from scratch. MMA is well-established, synergies and strategies for different disciplines all within the common domain. For that reason, I don't think he would be able to keep up with all the advances since. That said, if he was able to train under a handful of the modern front running trainers it would be quite another story I should think.
>>
>>63216964
see
>>63215554

The boxer was named Gary "Garung" Elms.
>>
File: 5647.jpg (28 KB, 300x410) Image search: [Google]
5647.jpg
28 KB, 300x410
Effortless screen charisma. Camera really loved Lee from his first day on set.

Not surprised that you literal autists can't pick up on that.
>>
>>63217135
RC: His bout with Bruce turned out to be the most amazing and bizarre boxing match I have ever seen and expect to see. I honestly believe that Gary did not land even one single scoring punch throughout the entire 3 x 1 minute rounds, with Bruce deflecting and taking all of Gary's punches on his arms. Gary was knocked down several times, but he was not knocked out (contrary to what has been reported in various articles and books!) and, even more surprisingly, he did not appear to be hurt or distressed. Each time he was floored, he would immediately jump back up. That's why the referee did not stop the fight. Notwithstanding Gary's extraordinary toughness, I was amazed to see him survive the bout in such good shape. It was not until later when I caught up with Frank that some sort of explanation emerged.

DP: Do you recall what your brother Frank told you about this?

RC: Apparently, when Frank and his friends went to congratulate Bruce after the bout, Bruce was shaking his head and looking far from pleased with himself. His reply to Frank's obvious question was something along the lines of, "Damn it, I couldn't knock the guy out".
>>
>>63215962
The Raid is Indonesian and my favourite modern martial arts film. That means that not all martial arts films are Chinese or Japanese.
>>
>>63216862
Dis nigga gets it
>>
>>63215414
Lee is respected as an equal by Chuck fucking Norris who's had his own military and martial arts career. You're just a racist white boy who gets insecure whenever an asian man doesn't fit your weak nerd media construct.
>>
>>63217273
Thailand. Nuff said.
>>
I remember all those knock of Bruce Lees on dodgy videos in my local video shop years ago.
Bruce li, Bruce Ley etc. kek
>>
>>63217332
knock-off*
>>
File: sonny chiba.jpg (29 KB, 400x543) Image search: [Google]
sonny chiba.jpg
29 KB, 400x543
>>63211207
anything involving sonny chiba is miles better.
check out the street fighter.

also this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99LQQhsLXWs
>>
>>63217273
>The Raid
no one said that all MA are Japanese or Chinese, and The Raid is not really a MA flick. it's an action movie with some hand to hand combat scenes. that's it.

besides you mist the point of >>63215962
>>
>>63217619
I probably did, maybe I just felt like declaring how much I like The Raid so convinced myself your post was the reason I needed to mention it.

Bruce Lee was the real deal btw, the people who talk shit about him, don't have a clue.
Most of them are probably wrestling fans too.
>>
>>63217183
>Apparently, when Frank and his friends went to congratulate Bruce after the bout, Bruce was shaking his head and looking far from pleased with himself. His reply to Frank's obvious question was something along the lines of, "Damn it, I couldn't knock the guy out".
That's actually very consistent with Bruce's reaction to his bout with Wong Jack Man. He was disappointed that he didn't win as easily as he thought. It would seem that Bruce was rather critical of himself.
>>
>>63217760
I don't know man. maybe he was, maybe he was not, maybe he was but as much as people say. it's hard to filter through the bullshit stories you can read online about the guy.

I don't know what went on in he's head, he started as WC guy then he got athletic as fuck for unknown reasons. he's story is weird.

most people who dislike Lee are guys who are into martial sports like boxing and they just tend to diss on anything eastern.
>>
>>63217760
he was a little china man even fucking Ronda Rousey could kill him
>>
File: Satan is the best.png (494 KB, 556x426) Image search: [Google]
Satan is the best.png
494 KB, 556x426
>>63217495
>Ninpo: Katon!
Just like muh Chinese cartoons
>>
>>63218059
Things can gain a tinge of mystique or stories embellished after a legend passes on but in this case, it's mostly true.
He was a unique man that had almost superhuman abilities, also he trained relentlessly. He never took what he knew as a perfect, he kept on adding to his repertoire like a great musician who moves with the times.

>>63218222
The Trollmaster Olympics haven't started yet peewee.
>>
>>63218410
the fact is Bruce Lee has no record of real fights against real martial artist, even fucking Ronda has a medal in judo and was a champ in the UFC

Lee would be anally raped by George San Pierre
>>
File: images.png (4 KB, 303x166) Image search: [Google]
images.png
4 KB, 303x166
>>63218410
>>63218470
>>
>>63211276
This. If James Dean had died of old age he wouldn't be anywhere near as iconic as he is.
>>
>>63218558
>dont have arguments to back up my claims that my china man actor could fight
>bait
>>
>>63218572
Someone sulking on screen isn't a talent.
>>
>>63218619
You're missing my point. I'm not a huge James Dean fanboy or anything but you can't deny the legacy he left behind in his brief career. Same goes for Bruce Lee, he died in his prime so that's how he's remembered.
>>
>>63217495
Looks interesting, going to check out this guy movies.
Any more Japanese fighting stuff?
>>
>>63218603
That wasn't me, read into his fights if you so wish.
They never had youtube back then.

>>63218651
It is partly because of that I'll always agree with anyone who brings that point up.
but their are many accounts of how skilled he was in the real world, his martial arts weren't just an act on screen.
>>
>>63218692
there*
>>
>So the two men met in a Kung fu school in Oakland in late winter of 1964. On one hand was Wong Jack Man, 5’ 10”, 135 pounds, an expert in Shaolin styles, and having experience in internal kung fu styles. On the other hand was Bruce Lee, 5’ 7”, 140 pounds, an expert in Wing Chun (Ving Tsun) Kung Fu as taught by the legendary Yip Man.

>As the two men eyed each other, Bruce Lee made an interesting remark concerning a friend of Wong Jack Man’s who had helped to set up the affair. “You’ve been killed by your friend.”

Say what you want about Bruce but that is pretty fucking awesome. No doubt taken straight from Miyamoto Musashi who, when he arrived at Ganryu Isle for his legendary duel with Sasaki Kojiro hours late and Kojiro threw his scabbard away in anger, proclaimed "you've already lost, Kojiro. Only the loser has no need for his sheath."
>>
>>63218716
they're*
>>
>>63218603
>>using a popular female pro ufc fighter as example for the purpose of ridicule
>>not bait
>>
>>63218759
No m8, I corrected myself.
>>
>>63211867
Combining martial arts is as old as martial arts, all Bruce did was repackage things with charisma, even his famous quotes are just word for word translations of ancient daoist texts
>>
>>63218788
;)
>>
>>63215554
You mean the boxer no one can find any record or proof to verify he actually existed?
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 223x226) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 223x226
>>63215962
>>63216305
>>63212190
Just like American hollywood movies always portray Americans as heroes and Russians as villains.
This is nothing new.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.