[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I love the Lord of the Rings films, but this ghost pirate bullshit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: Army_of_the_dead.jpg (18 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
Army_of_the_dead.jpg
18 KB, 300x200
I love the Lord of the Rings films, but this ghost pirate bullshit still irks me after all these years.

1. Why didn't they just call on them from the beginning? "I will grant you piece if you kill the orcs in Mordor and Isengard."

2. It completely cheapens the Battle of Gondor when the forces of Gondor and Rohan are fighting bravely only to have these ghosts show up and kill everything in like 3 seconds.
>>
Wasn't it kind of a long-shot to even ask the ghosts to help?
>>
Honestly Jackson hated it too, but he didn't want to piss of Tolkein purists by removing such a large plot point
>>
>>63205492
The point of this was to underline the importance of loyalty and oaths, not to put up a fair fight for the sake of storytelling.
>>
They would only respond to the heir of Isildur, and Aragorn had no way to prove it until Anduril was reforged.
>>
>>63206628
>The point of this was to underline the importance of loyalty and oaths

Yeah

Weird tho how they don't bring up these "important" oaths until almost the end

innit?
>>
>>63206667
Of course not, Aragorn doesn't think he can convince them to fulfill their oath at first, it's a last resort thing, and it was dangerous for them to dare bothering them. If Mordor forces had been easier to handle he wouldn't have called upon them I'm sure.
>>
>>63205492
Read the book.
>>
>>63206537
>Jackson hates it
>He makes the ghosts the keystone to the victory when in the books all they did was chase the corsairs off the boats and serve as a symbol of the Return of the King™

I never understood this. Aragorn bringing rangers of the North along with Gondorian reinforcements, plus balls of steel and tactics on the side of Rohan are the reason they win in the books, but Jackson made it even worse
>>
>let's take the invincible army of traitors into a land ruled by a guy who is well known for manipulating and corrupting others into doing his bidding

What could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>63206957
>Aragorn bringing rangers of the North along with Gondorian reinforcements
How would you introduce that in the movies? The audience would go "who the fuck are all these people"
>>
>>63206957

Were there any other rangers in the movies?
>>
>>63205554
Yes, it was. They were entirely at the ghosts' mercy and were only going by old legends.
It was absolutely a desperate measure that, luckily for them, worked.
>>
iirc in the books the ghosts arent that useful. they dont even kill the pirates, they just scare them into abandoning their ships. their job during the battle was basically to scare the orcs and demoralize them so that the defenders could rally and counter-attack. once the orcs realized the ghosts werent all that dangerous there wasnt much left for them to do so Aragorn dismissed them
>>
>>63207055
>Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are traveling to Gondor
>Meet rangers
>Hey Aragorn we came to help Gondor
>One guy is a friend of Aragorn who has two lines that explains their role

basically exactly what they did with the elves in Two Towers, but I suppose it was probably easier and cheaper to just have a wave of CGI ghosts run everyone over than stage yet ANOTHER battle scene. It's not a big deal, I'm not one of those faggots who gets pissed the movies aren't 100% true to the books and acts like Tom Bombadil getting cut is a crime against humanity
>>
>>63207170
Same.
1:1 adaptations can be good, but only when it comes to certain works.
LOTR is not one of those works.
>>
Wasn't it also implied the ghosts could be overtaken by Saurons control? Because that would be a fucking backfire
>>
>>63206822

Have some cock motherfucker.
>>
>>63207254
Never implied, but I'm sure it could happen. They aleady sinned once with Isildur, Sauron's magic (or Saruman voice) could have probably brought them back to that initial failure of them.
>>
>>63207254
what?
barrow wights are not the oathbreakers
>>
>>63205492
>still complaining about this even though there's really nothing wrong with it

Would you rather there be another scene where Aragorn recruits the Dunedain, then have the ghosts just scare the sailors away and another 30 minutes of repetitive fight scenes with the Dunedain joining the battle? Having the ghost army do both was just a matter of convenience. Fuck off, autists. Die in a fire.
>>
>>63205492
Because in the book they were just spooky ethereal ghosts who couldn't actually harm people. They just got lucky and scared the pirates off their ship.
>>
>>63207446
This. It ended the scene with a bang before it overstayed its welcome.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.