[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did babadook receive literal 10/10 from some critics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 261x382) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 261x382
Why did babadook receive literal 10/10 from some critics?
>>
>>63200993
It was above average and most horror movies are total shit.
It did some stuff really well, it just wasn't that great
>>
>>63201023
Just because it's better than majority of other modern horror movies doesn't mean it's flawless

Movies should be rated by their overall quality not by the genre
>>
>>63201023
this, horror and sci-fi are two genres where the majority of released content is aggressively mediocre, so when there's even one movie that's marginally acceptable it gets lauded as one of the greatest examples of that genre.
>>
>>63200993

It was original. Flawed, yes, but I honestly haven't seen anything else quite like it. It's the kind of movie that pushes the genre forward and inspires other filmmakers. Critics understand that it's important to encourage work like that.
>>
>>63201103
>Just because it's better than majority of other modern horror movies doesn't mean it's flawless
I'm not saying it was justified, but that was why. It did some interesting stuff, and when you have literally nothing else to compare it to, of course people are gonna act like its amazing
>>
>>63201154
Explain in what ways it pushes the horror genre forwards
>>
>>63201195
i get what he's saying to some degree, i don't think the film has done anything new, but its success might allow for more atmospheric / psychologically oriented horror films again
>>
>>63201195
Does a lot of new stuff. Artistic ways of representing things (even though it does ruin it later, the opening shot was great for its purpose).
Giving things a more metaphorical tone.
>>
>>63200993
Because they saw it as a well-realized exploration of grief - it is only superficially a horror movie. You might even say it's not a horror film at all, it's a psychological study with horror elements in it.
>>
>>63201250
yeah, we all know no one used metaphor in horror before the babadook.
>>
It had an actual theme behind it and decent suspense. It didn't rely on shitty archetypes and pop scares.

The theme was literally beat over your head and wasn't deep to begin with, but it's still leagues above recent horror movies. The genre is dying.
>>
>>63200993

now i have one more thing to worry about when i sleep tonight, the fucking dook dook dooks lol
>>
>>63201268
4chan doesn't understand nuance. Memes or blanket statements only.
>>
>>63201330
>Babadook
>nuanced
I enjoyed the movie but don't pretend anything about it was nuanced, subtle, or particularly intelligent.
>>
>>63201330
I'm new here
>>
>>63200993
Cuz they are afraid of the Babadook
>>
Same reason why that natalie portman movie was decent. Successful usage of imagery, driving up tension and purpose.

This movie even draws in the pathos technique which is never done successfully these days in horror movies.
>>
So was it a real monster or was mom just going crazy?
>>
have you seen how original one is like? its terrifying dude its fucked its russian too russians have some scary babayaga shit and house on chicken foot yo
>>
File: 1387782951568.jpg (118 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1387782951568.jpg
118 KB, 500x375
>>63201371
It wasn't exactly subtle about it, but there were some smart undertones present.
>>
>>63201436
Good to know anon, best place to start is a Star Wars b8 thread, should help improve your shitposting skills.
>>
>>63201528
i think the proper word for the babadook is "restrained", at least until the ending.
>>
>>63201466
It was a manifestation of grief.

Whether or not it was real doesn't matter. It's about exploring, understanding, controlling, and feeding garden worms to your negative feelings instead of locking them in your 'basement'.
>>
>>63201572
Now that I think about it, Inside Out has the same message.
>>
the babadook looked like danny devitos penguin, how could anyone take this shit seriously, calling it "horror" already really stretching it
>>
Plays on the most primal of all fears: "What if I hate my own child?"
>>
>>63201648
Yup.

And it's an almost complete thematic ripoff of Mothman Prophecies. Still a good movie, but anyone who pretends like it did something new or groundbreaking is retarded.

Seriously, it's almost a 1:1 copy of Mothman. It's all I could think about while watching.

>>63201724
It's a psychological thriller, senpai. Only a retarded Rotten Tomatoes critic would call it a Horror.
>>
>>63201268
It's shit.
>>
>>63200993
Because it's perfect
>>
>>63200993
it's better than most movies in the horror genre, which isn't really saying much 2bh familia.
>>
>>63203746
Whatever, you dim twat
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.