[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wait, so the protagonist whose story we've been following
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8
File: 1433346704739.jpg (63 KB, 489x720) Image search: [Google]
1433346704739.jpg
63 KB, 489x720
Wait, so the protagonist whose story we've been following for nearly two hours just suddenly dies off-screen, killed by some random spics? What the fuck is with that?
>>
Yes. Except he isn't the "true" protagonist of the story, Sheriff Bell is
>>
>movie starts with a voice over by the sheriff
>movie ends with the sheriff talking
>implying he's not the protaganist
>>
It's probably the best death I've ever (not) seen in a film. Cormac McCarthy at his finest.
>>
>>63173586
>>63173648
He was barely in the movie
>>
>>63173557
It should be a law that the Coens have to direct any and all McCarthy novels. They go together like bread and butter
>>
>>63173557
You, the viewer probably isn't close to Llewelyn in character or drive. You're probably closer to the sheriff.
Anyway brave daredevils like llewelyn die all the time like that IRL
>>
>>63173827
I'm surprised it's taken so long to do another one after how positive the reception for NCFOM was. Maybe it didn't make enough money.
>>
>>63173858
Bullshit, Llewellyn is the underdog with grit and determination. I would bet most of the audience were rooting for him to get one over the ruthless unstoppable psychopath
>>
>>63173648
There can be multiple protagonists, yknow
>>
Yes, in movies the protagonist is always special, wins, survives, cliche. This movie tries to emulate real life, no one is special, anyone can die at any time, that's why that retarded car accident happens too. To show, that even the villain, so bad ass and fearless can suffer a dumb thing like a car accident if he doesn't pay attention to the traffic. It doesn't need to add to the plot or be a major thing, things in life just happen, many times without a reason to it.
>>
>>63173709

He was basically the narrator, and the eyes of the audience. If you don't remember, Llewelyn's death was shown from the sheriff's perspective, showing up to the scene just a few seconds too late.

That was the whole point of the movie. The sheriff is the force of "good," but he's too old and frail to keep up with the forces of "evil" anymore. These days, he's always a few steps behind. He keeps getting weaker and slower, and "evil" just gets more vicious and harder to fight

Llewelyn wasn't just "the protagonist whose story we've been following," he was the innocent guy that the sheriff was trying to rescue from this whole mess, and he failed. It was a frustrating scene, but thematically it was perfect
>>
AND THEN I WOKE UP
>>
>>63173827
I would love for them to adapt Suttree
>>
>>63173648
Matt Damon wasn't the protagonist of SPR
>>
>>63173893
It made plenty of money, they just don't want to do another one
>>
Llewelyn scene right before his death he is literally told 'nobody ever see's that' (whats coming). Fits perfectly it happens off screen and that it's done by people we don't expect.

Sending his wife to her mother was his mistake.
>>
>>63174026
>>63174014
Interesting. Thanks pham.
>>
>>63174014
"God just fucking hates us," seems to be the theme of the more serious Coen Bros. movies.
>>
>>63173939
Yeah you say that. But not everybody is a literal action hero. Mccarthy just makes heroism pay, a lot. Left behind are the non-exceptional, like the sheriff and Billy Boyd (border trilogy)
>>
File: fargo.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
fargo.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>63174120
His mistake was picking up the money in the first place

The actual last scene before his dies is the one where he talks to the woman by the pool (who ends up shot). Its the only moment of calm in the whole film, and shows everything he gave up when he touched that suitcase.

>So that was Mrs. Lundegaard on the floor in there. And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper. And those three people in Brainerd. And for what? For a little bit of money. There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day.
>>
File: Furby.jpg (35 KB, 572x380) Image search: [Google]
Furby.jpg
35 KB, 572x380
>>63173557
>thinking Llewellyn was the protagonist

either retarded or decent bait
>>
I love Tommy Lee Jones
>>
That's how it happens in the book. Sheriff Bell goes to identify the corpse only to find that Moss's head has been pretty much blown apart with a shotgun and that his teeth are dislodged. The only person who say what went on was an extremely unreliable tight-lipped Mexican witness. You have no idea what happened.
>>
>>63173557
>"I can't form an original idea or thought of my own please tell me one so I can tell it to other people and pretend I came up with it"

?? ?? ?
>>
I never understood why people had a problem with this, it seems so devastating and inevitable and cruel. The universe doesn't give a fuck about Llewelyn.
>>
>>63174014
I don't think that is true at all. If anything the "villain" is supposed to be an unstoppable force of nature. The car accident, is further proof of the fact that he just keeps going.
>>
>>63175506
I really feel like you missed the point then

>>63175386
I remember being a bit put off by it when I was 14 and saw it the first time, but I rewatched it for the first time last week and it was nothing.
>>
File: 570.png (413 KB, 511x754) Image search: [Google]
570.png
413 KB, 511x754
>>63173557
>>
I first saw this on a plane and figured they edited it out first time I saw it.
>>
>Calls Anton out on the bullshit of his philosophy
>Is completely right in her logic
>All Anton can do is mumble some shit about how the coin got in the house the same way he did (I'm pretty sure the coin didn't drive its ass halfway across America and walk through the front door, you jackass)

And you just know that he killed her without letting the coin decide, because he couldn't stand having his world view blown the fuck out like that.
>>
>>63175661
That's some impressive photoshopping. The only improvement I could suggest would be changing the line at the top to "There are no clean flightplans". I know it's an old shop but I just thought of it now.
>>
>>63175726
How do you think anton got to that stage in his life? do you think his dad fucked him in the ass a few times? Or was he born a natural psychopath?
>>
>>63175726
I don't think he really cares about the coin. He shot a random crow along the road for absolutely no reason. The coin is just a game, or at best a justification for his violent behavior
>>
>>63175726
Exactly. And that's why its a beautiful movie
>>
>>63175915
he was a big guy
>>
>>63175997
I think he actually shot a chain or something that was tethering the crow. That combined with the scene where he kills a guy with caged chickens in his truck, makes me think he doesn't like animal cruelty.
>>
>>63176096
Oh I see. Completely different context then
>>
>>63175726
I don't think so. No Country for Old men, as a title literally means god is dead in the Nietzschean sense. She still lives in the world of an inherited Christian worldview (regardless of whether or not she is christian). She simply doesn't understand Chigurh's sense of Heideggarian authenticity or Sartrean responsibility.

She doesn't BTFO Chigurh, although Llewelyn does show an alternative path that can be walked in the world after the death of God.
>>
>>63176096
I haven't seen in the movie in maybe half a year but I'm almost certain that there is no chain. In the book he is trying to kill the bird.
>>
>>63173709
Jeez anon
>>
>>63175726

why is she such a cutie pie ;_;
>>
>>63175726
I never realized that before, you're right. She calls him out on his bullshit world view and since he is a killer he wants to kill her. But if he flips the coin there is a chance he won't be able to. So he violates his own rule and just does it, which proves her right. And since it's the only time he does that (I think? I can't remember others), they don't show it because then it draws more attention to it so you try to piece together why it's significant.

We know he kills her because he checks his shoes after leaving the house, probably for blood. I wonder if that's why earlier there's that scene where he moves his feet out of the way of a seeping blood puddle... like they're showing that Anton is conscious of blood near his feet. Then later he's checking his feet after leaving the house, and if you remember the brief moment from that scene, you know why.

Anyway thanks for the insight
>>
>>63173557
It was the dream Tommy Lee Jones was talking about.
>>
man i just saw this for the 2nd time and im blown away
what do i watch now
>>
>>63176795
If you want more movies with Anton, he also stars in Skyfall and Inglorious Bastards.
>>
>You can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on YOU, that's vanity.

Clear as day.
>>
>>63176795
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
>>
>>63173699

The book is even more jarring when it happens. Plus he gets found dead with a teenage prostitute he picked up along the way. He didn't cheat on his wife- but she never finds that out before she dies.
>>
>>63176795
more coen brothers... blood simple, a serious man
>>
>>63173557
>>63173557
Coen bros don't know how to end movies
>>
>>63175726
I'm glad somebody else picked up on this. It's subtle, but when the camera looks at Anton after she explains it, he is clearly confused/distraught at her logic.

It's the first time in the movie he appears human really.
>>
>>63176839
Who the fuck is he in Inglorious Basterds?
>>
>>63177086
The french guy that harbored jews. He owns the house where the jew hunter orders his soldiers to shoot through the floor.
>>
>>63177129
Holy fuck
>>
>>63177129
m8 that was
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1616970/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t14
>>
>>63177129
that wasnt him dude
>>
This movie was pretty good, but comparing it to the Coen Brothers greats like Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Fargo, The Big Lebowski...it pales in comparison. Well thats just my shitty opinion anyways.
>>
>>63177296
That is a shitty opinion, ESPECIALLY Blood Simple
>>
>>63176063
Well his dad was anyway
>>
isnt this supposed to be a story about random acts of evil?
>>
>>63177296
Raising Arizona was fucking shit.
>>
>>63177296
That's weird because it's actually better than all of those movies.
>>
>>63174125
It's less "God fucking hates us" and more "the Universe couldn't care less about us".

It isn't evil or maliciousness, it's worse: indifference.
>>
File: 1444426374956.jpg (57 KB, 400x408) Image search: [Google]
1444426374956.jpg
57 KB, 400x408
>>63177488
>Fargo is a movie
>>
>>63173557

>i'm a pleb that can't understand a movie that isn't completely straightforward
>>
>>63177500
Didn't Anton think his coin tosses were decisions made by god or something? He must think they represent something more than chance if he kills people over them.
>>
>>63174014
Nothing special?????
How the fuck is finding a bag with millions not special?
Or being chased by t1000?
Or being a nutcase thinking you can return to a crime scene yet still get away with it?

This is not real life. It's a shitty story. Real life is 98% boredom and 2% action. Warhols movies emulated real life, Coens doesnt.
>>
>>63175661

>a Christopher Nolan masterpiece

my fucking sides
>>
>>63173893
They are making another one?
>>
>>63173939
He's an arsehole, he's just not as bad the literal devil.
>>
>>63173557
so did Llewellyn's wife die at the end by the hit man ? Im assuming he did
>>
>>63173827
>tfw The Counselor would have been so much better with the Coens at the helm
>tfw they will never get their hands on Blood Meridian or Child of God as well

such is life, suffering
>>
>>63173827
The Road was pretty terrific for what it was though, no Coen brothers required.
>>
>>63175661
underrated gem
>>
>>63174346
disagree
his mistake was letting his conscious get the better of him and going back to give the man some water
>>
>>63176795
There will be blood
>TWBB ruined some of NCFOM's shots when they burned the rig
>>
>>63177064
>It's the first time in the movie he appears human really.

He was human when he had to operate on his own damn leg.

He wasn't shaken by her speech, he just respects it enough to give her the best opportunity that he can; the coin.
>>
>>63175726
Well, yeah, I thought that was pretty much the point of the movie. His coin and luck is just a stupid rationalization for his shitty world views about causality.

It's why he chokes on a peanut when the old guy he makes bet on a coin flip says that he just happened to marry into owning the land he was on right then.

The entire movie seems like it's a discussion of whether the world really is just a shitty place where awful things happen for no reason or if it's only a shitty place because people make it that way.
>>
The entire narrative relies on the ludicrous notion that Llewellyn, a smart, hardened and relatively intelligent man would make a knowingly futile return to the site of a drug deal that ended in catastrophic violence and where millions of dollars worth of cash and drugs, all to give some water to a drug enforcer who, if not already dead, would certainly die regardless of whether he was given water

10/10, fantastic film
>>
>>63180522
He would have been found via the transponder eventually.
>>
>>63176203
>NCFOM as a title literally means God is dead in the Nietzschean sense

Really? I always thought that the title was taken from the first line of Sailing to Byzantium. Was Yeats referring to Nietzsche with this line?
>>
You can't go wrong with the Coens. They are absolute masters of their medium
>>
>>63180541
Yes, pretty obviously. There was no escape for him.
>>
File: 1347616153282.jpg (77 KB, 432x313) Image search: [Google]
1347616153282.jpg
77 KB, 432x313
>>63173557

You were warned, OP.
>>
>>63180522
i just couldn't get over the idea that a man would go hunting alone in the desert without bringing any water whatsoever with him

you'd have to be a sheltered cityliberal to think of something so dumb
>>
>>63173709
Wew lad
>>
>>63173557
You something fucking random like in real life, occurred in the movie??

Just fuck off Reddit
>>
>>63177129
That wasn't him you dense faggot
>>
>>63177986
No that's the point. It doesn't represent shit.
>>
>>63175661
>not "No Country For Big Bane" or "No Big Country For You"
>>
File: 1448020130157.png (163 KB, 329x386) Image search: [Google]
1448020130157.png
163 KB, 329x386
>>63179692
Find the nearest bridge and throw yourself into the river.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.