[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reminder that Stillman made Metropolitan for 230k. Reminder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
Reminder that Stillman made Metropolitan for 230k.

Reminder that anyone can make a good film so long as they have professional lighting and sound, a quality camera, a compelling aesthetic and deep dialogue such as you'd find in a novel.
>>
>>63168999
230k when released or adjusted to inflation
>>
>>63168999
>so long as they have professional lighting and sound, a quality camera, a compelling aesthetic and deep dialogue such as you'd find in a novel.

not true

please refer to:
88:88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0kx81VReLo
>>
>>63168999
>implying I have 230K

Something more apt would be like Primer or El Mariachi.

Speaking of which, I oughta rewatch El Mariachi.
>>
>>63169124
This seems like poor editing mostly
>>
>>63169085
Looks like release, 441k is what you'd need today
>>
>>63168999

>>mfw I thought you were talking about Metropolis and I was actually impressed until I noticed the title...
>>
>>63169262
That's almost a half a million
>>
>dad was a politician
>graduated from Harvard
>worked as an editor and sales agent

Stillman is not just anyone. He's a privileged, sociable person, and a talented writer.

He has also never made a bad movie. I just hope he doesn't take another 15 years to make his next films - even though this seems likely considering how Damsels in Distress seemed to sink without a trace, while similar films of equal if not lesser quality such as Frances Ha grabbed all the spotlight.
>>
>>63169250
stop
>>
>>63168999

reminder that Matt Johnson made The Dirties for $10000

reminder that it is better than the majority of American films released in the last few years

reminder that it is self-reflexive and intellectually interesting while also being compelling, hilarious, and tense
>>
>>63169333
Yeah, believe me I was hoping OP wasn't retarded and it was the inflation adjusted number but no, he's just dumb and thinks the common man can scrape together half a million to make a movie in this day and age
>>
>>63169338

I love Stillman but Frances Ha is definitely better than Damsels in Distress. I do agree that it was treated unfairly though, it should have done much better than it did.

Did you see the pilot of that tv show he made? it was okay, nothing special though
>>
>>63169438
Stillman's first 3 films were all top tier. Damsels in Distress was markedly worse. I don't know whether it's because he was writing films outside of his personal experience and didn't have that well to draw on, or because the studio forced his hand in some areas, but the quality of Disco, Barcelona and Metropolitan and the quality of Damsels in Distress is really quite different. His pilot for Cosmopolitans was also pretty bad, but perhaps that's because it was 24 minutes long.
>>
>>63169588

yeah I agree

I haven't actually seen Barcelona yet but Last Days of Disco is one of my favourite movies and Metropolitan is great too. Hopefully he actually makes another movie and gets back on track.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.