[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Man in the High Castle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Sorry if I'm late, but I didn't get the opportunity to watch the whole thing until now. Can we talk about the ending?

What the fuck just happened? Did the Jap trade minister just... change the world? Is Hitler a time traveller? I am so confused
>>
File: andr-190.jpg (20 KB, 190x240) Image search: [Google]
andr-190.jpg
20 KB, 190x240
>>63168524
So I guess you've never heard of Philip K Dick?
>>
>>63168666
I have heard of him, don't know much about him or his work though.

Should I read the book?
>>
>>63168524

the Man in the High Castle is someone trying to obtain all the films - that's Hitler. he seems to be using them to learn from.

The Jap minister can see the alternate timeline.
>>
>>63168744
But where the fuck do the films come from? Who makes them? Why?

Did the Jap minister see the alternate dimension/timeline or did he travel to it? Is he dreaming?
>>
>>63168902

We don't know where the films come from ... yet.

Again, it's not clearly explained yet. I personally don't think the minister is travelling. There was an earlier scene in an episode where he had that same vision expression on his face when his assistant walked in on him. He was still in his office. Maybe he's viewing/controlling his alternate self in the other world.
>>
>>63168687
... all I can say is that this first season could be in and of itself considered an adaptation, with some differences, of the book. It's more of an ambience piece than a plot-driven story.

>>63168902
No answer to these in the show. Given that in the novel the Grasshopper is also a book, the whole "who makes them and how" is also still up in the air.
>>
>>63168902

It's been a while since I read the books but in the book :

- whatsherface goes to Canon City and bumps into the "Joe" guy there who's an undercover nazi, she kills him and goes directly to the "man in the high castle" who doesn't do films but wrote a book where the allies win WW2

- Frink in SF just has some subplot about making fake american historical items and the guy with the antique store has a much bigger role and is one of the main characters

- trade minister jap keeps going on about I Ching and through that somehow divines that there's an alternate reality

- nazi guy in NY is not in the story at all and the nazi plot to kill Hitler all happens offscreen, Hitler in the book is old and demented and they're trying to find a replacement for him.

In the end of the book trade minister figures out his reality is a fake one and the girl who finds the main in the high castle is told the reality show knows is fake as well

it's all covered in layers of dick's drug-addled writing so characters just brainfart a lot and towards the end it gets a bit fruity
>>
>>63169161
>It's more of an ambience piece than a plot-driven story.
I get that, and I like it... I think? The world building was much more interesting than most of the characters and their subplots

I fear a second season runs the risk of going up its own ass
>>
>>63169327
>it's all covered in layers of dick's drug-addled writing so characters just brainfart a lot
I just assumed he used the I Ching to write it?

>>63169355
A second season would definitely have to be new material, there's not much left to take from the book.
>>
>>63169616
>I just assumed he used the I Ching to write it?

Yeah, but in most of his works characters tend to go on some tangent where Dick just philosophizes a lot.
Usually it's okay but in this case people expect more setting-descriptive stuff and plot development and the book is like 95% characters just kind of thinking in circles.

Considering the book kind of just abruptly ends this show can develop the setting further in S2.
>>
>>63169616
> A second season would definitely have to be new material, there's not much left to take from the book.

That worries me a lot. No doubt any new material will be shit.
>>
>>63169850

Well obengruppenfuhrer wasn't in the book at all and yet everything related to him is the best part of this season.
>>
>>63169908
This

Does that make me a nazi?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.