[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I just marathoned 'Terminator: Genysis. Why does this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 14
File: tpamtl8fcextkriisreq.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tpamtl8fcextkriisreq.jpg
108 KB, 1280x720
So, I just marathoned 'Terminator: Genysis. Why does this movie get so much hate? The characterization and the story board design are top notch. On par with "T2" and other classic movies you wouldn't even consider action packed. I'd name them but I think it would be more fun if you guys took your guesses in the comments. (Hint: A non-action film made in the early 90s.) Have fun and keep it clean, lol yeah right I know you'll keep it edgy.
>>
How do you marathon a single movie?
>>
>>63168385
I think he saw it like 5 times in sequence.
FOR SURE
>>
File: 2002_road_to_perdition_017.jpg (122 KB, 900x607) Image search: [Google]
2002_road_to_perdition_017.jpg
122 KB, 900x607
>>63168385
I watched it non-stop.
>>
People naturally hate "reboots".
>>
>>63168541
its weren't a reboot.
>>
I fucking hate you people
>>
>>63168595
That's why is in "". People consider it a reboot bc it resets the canon.
>>
File: aragorn.jpg (6 KB, 271x186) Image search: [Google]
aragorn.jpg
6 KB, 271x186
>>63168676
Fair enough. Agree to disagree?
>>
File: 1284438373265.jpg (7 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1284438373265.jpg
7 KB, 251x251
>>63168329

>badly miscast
>useless new Terminator model
>incredibly clumsy tone and pacing
>reddit-tier humor throughout

You just failed the pleb test, OP.
>>
>>63168754
With what do you disagree? That people consider it a reboot or that it does not resets the canon?
>>
>>63168823
It's not a reboot though, it's a sequel.
>>
Yeah, let's make humanity's savior the bad guy. Whoop whoop.

Hollywood is like a dog eating its own vomit and Genysis is the proof.
>>
>>63168329
I actually liked it a lot. It was far better than the last couple made and really had that old vibe from the original in it.
>>
>>63168856
Holy shit, dude. That's why i put it in "". Because it's not a real reboot.
>>
>>63168943
Exactly. Which is why I'm saying that we should agree to disagree. Just walk away man, take a breather.
>>
>Emilia Clarke couldn't be bothered to work out and can't act for shit
>Kyle Reese is now a wisecracking meathead jock despite having lived his entire life underground eating rats in a post-apocalyptic hellhole
>absolutely nonsensical plot
>motherfucking nexus events
>new ultimate mega terminator is nearly killed almost immediately by a MRI
>John Connor Terminator goes back in time to write sick code for Cyberdyne
>who sent old Arnie to the past? lol who gives a fuck
>T-800s don't bleed despite being covered by organic tissue
>T-800 turns into a T-1000 because a piece of burnt circuitry happened to fall into a pool of liquid metal
>Skynet is now a moustache-twirling supervillain giving cheesy bad guy speeches

I could go on but I can't be bothered, I hated this movie so much
>>
The mugshot "Cops" sequence took me right out of the movie.
>>
>>63168979
So you think it's a reboot?
>>
>>63169200
It's a sequel.
>>
I watched it a while ago and from what I can remember:

I liked the return to more conventional terminator themes, I can't remember what I mean by this but at the time I thought it. I think it was mostly the way the characters relationships were, reminded me a lot of terminator 2. I also liked that for once it wasn't a sad ending. The fight scenes were alright as well.

I didn't like the campy over the top action movie bits, they dumbed it down and it's no longer gritty and serious. It is now too "americanized / hollywoodized" with the humour or disregard for the established realsm (such as the t1000 for some reason deciding to hurl its arm spear up and get some flips in before smashing it forward) I also thought the plot line of "No john you are the terminators" was dumb as shit, I was amazed that the leaks posted here were actually legit. Furthermore I didn't like the lore rape, namely that skynet was terrified of building anything smarter than the t-1000 because it thought they'd challenge and take over from it - it's also silly how john is now the big bad pretty much overnight because lol machine infection. There was a book series called T2 infiltrator which I thought handed the idea much better (children taken by skynet, indoctrinated and implanted from birth, proper cyborgs.)

Overall it wasn't as bad as I feared, I think I like it better than T3
>>
>>63168856
Not that guy but doesn't that technically make JJ Trek sequels and not reboots?
>>
>>63169232
But i disagree with me saying it's not a real reboot.
>>
>>63169267
well you shouldn't disagree with yourself because you're right
>>
>>63169267
>i
You*
>>
Oh goddamn it, "marathoned a movie" is now a fucking meme.
>>
>>63168385
sup reddit
>>
There were about 8 instances where i put my hands up in confusion.

They are so dumb I cant remember them, but one of them is the fact that you cant bring anything metallic into the time machine, even though it was just used 4 seconds ago to send arnie to the past. Then once again arnie cant travel with them to the future because he is metallic, even though its the same device that sent him back to begin with.
>>
>>63169265
hmmM you have a point actually. I dunno, now I'm undecided. Cause it does have different actors, but then again T3 had a different John Conner and that def. wasn't a reboot. It's hard to say I guess, maybe it's somewhere in the middle.
>>
File: arnold.webm (1 MB, 1040x554) Image search: [Google]
arnold.webm
1 MB, 1040x554
>>
>>63169423
2/10 I hope this is your only (You)
>>
>>63169460
I agree to disagree.
>>
>>63169096
Very good list, but you forgot two more things that ruined Kyle.
>Kyle remembers two timelines now because plot
>Kyle takes a car to the pelvis and is fine

I hate these movies after T2 but Kyle better be a fucking robot or that highway scene was bullshit

T1>T2>unreleased Salvation>Salvation>Genysis>T3
>>
>>63169423
He needs the skin to cover the metal.
>>63169471
Don't be a faggot.
>>
File: riker.gif (261 KB, 300x306) Image search: [Google]
riker.gif
261 KB, 300x306
>>63169096

Good list.
>>
>>63171117
Eh, could've been better. He left out a couple of things.
>>
>>63171258
>He left out a couple of things.

Go for it.

This movie was such a perfect example of how to screw up a classic premise, I could rag on it all day.
>>
>endless conversations about time travel mechanics the movie

Looper had the right idea, I don't give a flying fuck about what layer of the time onion we're in. Just write a good movie instead of 2 hours of technobabble exposition.

Melting the T-1000 with acid was kind of neat though.
>>
>>63168329
>Why does this movie get so much hate?

It's not Terminator 1 or 2
People are invested in the idea that "new terminator movies are bad" after how bad 3 and 4 were
Dumb people think it's a reboot
>>
>>63168329
>>63168385
>marathon
stop trying to make this a meme
>>
File: MP5K PDW.jpg (67 KB, 800x337) Image search: [Google]
MP5K PDW.jpg
67 KB, 800x337
>>63168329
I genuinely really liked it and hope it gets a sequel.

Emilia Clarke is just hot in general.
>>
>>63171698
>I genuinely really liked it
Please tell me why because I honestly don't understand
>>
>>63168329
>marathoned
How do you marathon a movie?
>>
File: terminator 5_zpsbwhg89sg.jpg (79 KB, 497x502) Image search: [Google]
terminator 5_zpsbwhg89sg.jpg
79 KB, 497x502
HOW THE FUCK DID JOHN GET BACK IN TIME IN THE FIRST PLACE IF ENTERING A TIME MACHINE KILLS HIM?
>>
>>63171734
It was an action movie, I didn't expect a good plot
>>
>>63171828
he's existed since the beginning of time
>>
>>63168856

it is a reboot though

it doesn't follow the same plotline as T1-T2-T3-Salvation

you see at the start that Kyle and John meet in a different way to Salvation
>>
nothing will beat the T1 kyle dream sequence fuck the dogs
>>
>>63171889
I think they call it soft reboot.
>>
>>63168329

>Story Board design.
>Story. Board. Design.

Gee willy OP, I really thought the characterization was good and the plot was good too. I really liked the pretty cinematography and liked the action elements and non action elements too because it was deep. I liked the dialogue and did I mention it had a good plot already? What do you think the ending meant, and what was the Mice in Scene supposed to be. Anyways, I give it a two thumbs up, because I really liked the deep plot.
>>
>>63171889

This also pissed me off. I know they want to pretend 3 and 4 didn't happen, but you could have just left that opening scene out and have the audience choose to remember them or not.
>>
>>63171828

The time machine only killed him at the end because he was stuck in robotic form, and the time machine wasn't complete. It was just a big energy vortex that went nowhere.
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 612x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 612x960
>>63171880
John Connor
JC
Jesus Christ
2000+ years ago

Your math checks out.
>>
>>63171847
Not that anon but really? That's what you're going with?

Like I was just trying to explain to some other anon, there's dumb action and there's poorly made action.

So if you don't care about the plot because it's an action movie, let's look at the action.
>shitty CGI effects
>mother of burgers can't fire a gun without closing her eyes
>old arnold can't do action anymore
>kyle takes a car to the ass and is fine
>MAGNETS

I guess the Transformers movies are good too because they have pew pew lasers.

Was T3 a good movie too?

>>63171646
It's also much worse than the first two
>>
Multiverse theory ensures that any story including it will have it's stakes lowered drastically, since you never actually solve the problem.
It's like if in an RPG, you fucked up somehow with your build but you've passed the point of no return and you're going to be shit forever, so you start a new file and do it right this time. You haven't made yourself not-shit, you've just made a new you to be not-shit. You're still shit somewhen else and you always will be.
>>
>>63172006

This is such bullshit man, people fucked up the canon and then just wanna erase things and ruin the whole universe immersion
>>
Someone give me the scoop on that T4 whatever it was called. Loved the first 3 + the fox show but stopped paying attention
>>
>>63169096
>Kyle Reese
He was so dumb in the movie. He looks dumb, he acts dumb, it takes him literally forever to get the simplest plot points.
>who sent old Arnie to the past? lol who gives a fuck
It's an obvious sequel hook.
>T-800s don't bleed
Gotta get that PG-13 rating for sweet dosh!
>Skynet is now a moustache-twirling supervillain giving cheesy bad guy speeches
Already happened in Salvation.
>>
>>63169463
I dont get it.

Ive seen the footage on youtube, where it's clearly arnold doing a practical stunt, but then there's this. what, did they go over his face with CG just 'cuz?
>>
>>63168329
>le ironic shill meme
Yeah, fuck off.
I'm not buying your DVD.
>>
>>63172286

Salvation is boring and took a vaguely interesting concept and made it extremely uninteresting thanks to Christian Bale pushing for rewrites to to him into the star of the movie.

Nothing in it is as insultingly bad like things in T3, but being boring is kind of worse than being outright bad.
>>
>>63172527

True, Salvation was so fucking dull
>>
>>63172527
Apparently the original script was a lot better. Connor was supposed to show up only at the very end
>>
>>63172527
>>63172548
worth watching if I give 0 shits about terminator mythos? is it needed before genisys?
>>
File: pepe.png (48 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
48 KB, 500x282
>>63168329
>story board design
>in a movie
>>
>>63168385
You watch it in a single sitting on your computer or TV without checking your phone or browsing some other website. It's harder than you think.
>>
>>63172329
We will probably never know the reason behind it.
>>
>>63172600
>You watch it in a single sitting on your computer or TV without checking your phone or browsing some other website.
>It's harder than you think.
Only if you're watching garbage.
>>
>>63172600
it's easy as pie on benzos
>>
>>63172600
Do people really do this? You have adhd or something?
>>
>>63168329
Yeah it was pretty fun and served as more Terminator for a Terminator fan.

It was about as good as say...Star Trek: Voyager.
>>
>>63169809
It's more like T2 > T3 > all the rest of the dogshit is the same
>>
File: superman.gif (994 KB, 500x260) Image search: [Google]
superman.gif
994 KB, 500x260
>mfw The Chronicles of Sarah Connor is not canon
>>
>>63172716
how old are you just out of curiosity? I know the feeling of getting some replies, but the altered state of consciousness and the enhancements it brings to the watching experience is really only feasible pharmaceutically.
>>
>>63169809
>unreleased Salvation
is there any place to watch this and if so would you recommend watching it instead of the released version? I want to see 5 but i haven't seen salv
>>
>>63172578

Genisys effectively ignores the events of T3 and Salvation, it only cares about T1/T2

T3 and Salvation are effectively an alternate timeline cause by history being successfully changed in T2. Skynet's origins and goals are different, the timing of Judgement Day is different, the progress of the Future War is different.

Of everything, Salvation is the one that likely will feel the most disconnected from all the others, in part because it's entirely set in the Future War, unlike the other four movies being in the present day.
>>
>>63172796

Canon doesn't really matter when you're talking about a clusterfuck time travel series.

It's still the best Terminator thing behind the first two movies, canon or not.
>>
>>63172796
>>63172903
When you're talking about multiverse theory, technically everything is canon.
>>
>>63172876
oic, thanks m8. maybe i'll give genisys a shot tonight
>>
Terminator genysis is a unique movie. And I don't mean it in a sarcastic way. Most movies are reboots right now and they fear making a true sequel after movie 4 or 5 and decide to reboot. This movie was a COMPLETE SEQUEAL what do I mean with this. All of the previous terminator where sequals and standalones meaning they were able to stand by themselves this movie is the first that CAN NOT stand by itself. It assumes that youve seen every single movie and goes for it. Movies like this are weird even by studio standards because they alianete the incoming new audience and asume Terminator is a universally liked movie. This movie was the first in a long time that I have not being able to predict what is next and that is good in my book it doesn't base its plot on an existent terminator movie. The problem is that it relays to much in surprising teh audience and the main characters have no personality whatsoever, the closest thing is Arnold and he is the robot. In my opinion this movie was and 7 because of this when it could have been better. IT was the first time in a while that I don't feel pander. On the other side of the spectrum is Jurassic world where the movie is an exact beat by beat replic of Jurassic World. making it accesible to the dumb audience who needs to be spoonfed every single scene.
>>
>>63172716
You are pathetic
>>
>>63172978
Don't be a douche senpai.
>>
>>63168385
you watch while travelling a minimum of 26 miles
>>
File: Jason_Clarke_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg (213 KB, 618x777) Image search: [Google]
Jason_Clarke_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg
213 KB, 618x777
I unironically think this guy's a great actor

And he was the best part of Genysisis
>>
>>63172838
There isn't an unreleased Salvation. What they're talking about, is the original concept/script for Salvation which was heavily rewritten into the dull movie it ended up being, that was significantly different.

Part of the change was to turn John Connor into the main character instead of him being a cameo who would play a bigger role in a sequel, part of it was that they were TERRIFIED by the response when the original ending leaked, and made a different ending that makes no sense instead.

The title of the movie itself refers to multiple things in the original script that aren't in final movie.
>>
>>63173040

Dude owns.
>>
>>63172838
I wanna know this too
>>
>>63173091
What was the original ending?
>>
>>63173149
John connor converts to Islam and suicide bombs skynet
>>
>>63168329
Why does the robot skull have sculpted metal lips ?
>>
>>63173221
The better to blow you with
>>
File: what am I reading son.gif (49 KB, 300x375) Image search: [Google]
what am I reading son.gif
49 KB, 300x375
>>63173091
>mfw the original salvation script ends with them finding a holiday resort cum engendered species reservation for humans and skynet revealing it was actually helping humanity since it realized we would have become extinct from overpopulation anyway so might as well get it over with but save some humans too
>>
>>63172950
Dude the first 20 minutes is a rehash of previous movies.
>>
>>63172952
oic. i wouldn't recommend going out of your way to try LSD. it doesn't enhance heavy movies/shows like some other stuff does and it's really easy for people to tell you're on it

don't be a degenerate and know your shit, basically. also don't lie to your doctors
>>
>>63173149
John Connor is successfully assassinated by Skynet.

A human-terminator hybrid takes his place as "John Connor", because John was kept hidden and only the highest levels of the Resistance even knew what he looked like.

Which means that the JC who won the war was a terminator. A terminator was literally humanities salvation.
>>
>>63173316

and in ANOTHER version of the script it turns out the hybrid was a plant all along and kills all the other characters, so no one knows that john connor is now a terminator and an evil one at that
>>
>>63173221
because it's not really a robot
so much as a man who's been turned into magnet-dust
>>
>marathoned

god dammit /tv/
>>
The ending should be John Connor convincing skynet to accept Jesus Christ as it's lord & saviour
>>
>actually watch this movie just to find out how terrible it is
>fucking god awfulness of the highest caliber
>watch it all the way to the end
>no set up for a sequel
>"Oh thank god."
>find out there's a mid credits scene
>go back and watch it again
>"....Fuck."
>>
>>63168329
Is your attention span so shitty that you call watching a whole movie without breaks a marathon?
>>
>>63173471
>>no set up for a sequel
They literally say they're gonna go and find some answers or whatever. I walked out of the cinema as the titles begin to roll, what was the sequence?
>>
>>63173544
Apparently there's another copy of Skynet that shows up in the wreckage of the building that they blew up.
>>
>>63173544

the Dr. Who hologram looks over like Skynet's central CPU under the wreckage of the building

I don't know why though since surely it's just projecting a hologram thats pretending to be looking at itself for no reason
>>
>>63171734
Because it was fun. And I'm kind of a douchey film snob. Arnold was funny, the bizarre complexity of the plot was fun to keep up with, the acting wasn't bad, the effects were good, the action was good (apart from the helicopter chase), and the remake of the beginning of the first Terminator was well done.

Oh, and Emilia Clarke is fucking hot as shit.
>>
>>63173040
You are right. He was great. I'm incredibly pissed that I went in knowing he was the villain.
>>
>>63173808
>>63173852
So they exploded everything but it wasn't enough? Wow, okay, that's a brilliant twist.
>>
>>63173544

Basically, it shows that the Skynet core survived even through they successfully stopped it from spreading
>>
>>63168329
>marathoner
>watched one movie
>>
>>63173921

They didn't figure that the worlds most advanced computer program might have a back-up somewhere.
>>
>>63173906

That they revealed that twist in the trailers is insanity, the movie is totally built around that being a twist a considerably way in that you're not meant to know beforehand.
>>
>>63172329
The lighting.
Untouched, Arnold's face would be past the twilight and some idiot (s) [editing, cg, or direction] probably thought that was too dark and lightened his face. You notice the horrible lighting blend by his ear.
>>
File: bateman.gif (544 KB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
bateman.gif
544 KB, 160x120
>>63172999
Why do I think this is so funny? I laughed WAY too hard at this.

I also recognize your trips
>>
>>63174019
just like salvation, fucking trailers
>>
>>63168329
>So, I just marathoned a movie
kill
you're
self
>>
>>63173040

I watched the movie while typing up something so I wasn't 100% focused but that scene where he reveals he's a terminator was so fucking hype
>>
>>63168329
I think it was better than t3 and salvation. It was ok but it's major issue was the casting ranged from average (Clarke) to sub par (john Conner) to terrible (jai Courtnay)
>>
>>63168329

You can't "marathon" a single movie or episode.

"Marathoning" means there are at least two movies or episodes that we're talking about.
>>
>>63172600

Fucking millenials, man...

They can't be this pathetic, can they?
>>
>>63168329
In all honesty, I think the production design, direction and even the script were very good for this movie. It failed at casting, the leads are unmemorable and pretty much hamming it up all the time.
>>
>>63168329
>2015
>marathoning a movie
>not binge watching the first 10 minutes
s͏m͏h t͏͏b͏͏h f͏͏a͏͏m ͏
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.