[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Isn't Groundhog Day a lot less romantic once you realise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: groundhog-day-original[1].jpg (499 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
groundhog-day-original[1].jpg
499 KB, 1000x1500
Isn't Groundhog Day a lot less romantic once you realise Phil basically spent years studying the girl he liked and faking an entire personality accordingly to get her to like him back?
>>
>catched
>>
>catched
>>
>>63153239
This is a fantasy for all the spaghetti spilling autistics.
>>
Seems to me like the most romantic thing to possibly do.
>>
>>63153239
That's pretty brave and romantic of him. The guy spent literally centuries studying, changing his personality and behaviour, all of it just for a 4/10 girl, and she will never know it. That's the proof of genuine love tbpqh.
>>
>>63153364
Point proven: >>63153421
>>
>learns a myriad of hobbies
>becomes a better person in doing so
>spends possibly years, even decades, perfecting his craft
>this is "faking it" according to OP
>>
This movie is completely unrealistic. Not because of the time loop, though that's bullshit too, but because I don't believe a person would become more decent in that situation. Personally, it would be a week tops before I started killing and raping. By the end I would be an incredibly efficient sex offender.
>>
The implication is that he changed in the process, but I honestly don't buy it so readily.

I can conceive of someone being a better person after learning a bunch of stuff about the world/music/arts/etc., but not necessarily transforming from a curmudgeon to a likeable guy. They should have made him arrogant but charming, instead. That way, it wouldn't seem so much a "fake persona" you saw, but rather a refinement of his already existent personality into something similar but better.
>>
>>63153715
But that's exactly what happened. He started going batshit insane after a little bit and probably just went on random violent rampages before realizing he was stuck in his loop.
But he mellowed out eventually.
>>
>>63153992
You think he raped everyone? With no worry of status or long term consequences I would rape everything.
>>
He tried faking it and still woke up in the loop again. He only broke out once his feelings became genuine.
>>
>>63154209
of course he raped everyone
but spending your day raping people probably gets old pretty quick
that's why he started looking for more fullfilling hobbies
>>
>>63154802
Him believing his own lie doesn't make the movie any more romantic.

Also, it just occurs to me that if you made a movie about a woman stuck in purgatory, only being freed once she changed herself sufficiently that the male lead liked her, you'd be blacklisted forever.
>>
>>63154914
I dunno, it seems like a really useful skill to have honed. A skilled rapist doesn't need a good job, looks or charisma to satisfy his primal urges, plus the Groundhog Day scenario would be more addicting than any video game. I played the fuck out of the first few Splinter Cell games, working out every possible path and playing with the AI. Pretty sure raping a whole town wouldn't get old anytime soon.
>>
i thought that was the point of the movie
>>
>>63153239
>Phil basically spent years studying the girl he liked and faking an entire personality accordingly to get her to like him back?
And then that didn't work
And he focused on being honest improving himself as a person?
>>
>>63153715
and then you get bored
>>
>>63153239

do you think he ever brutally raped and murdered her?
>>
File: trainwreck.jpg (11 KB, 178x283) Image search: [Google]
trainwreck.jpg
11 KB, 178x283
>>63155033
yeah, what kind of sick romcom would have a woman completely change her personality for the sake of a guy
>>
>>63155033
>Him believing his own lie doesn't make the movie any more romantic.

That's not what happened
>>
>>63155246
>get caught in Groundhog Day limbo
>become despondent, attempt suicide
>doesn't make any difference
>decide to overcome dejection by embracing moral nihilism, setting forth the beast that has always lay dormant inside me
>rape and pillage, revel in the most blood-curdling barbarism seen since medieval times, having had decades to hone my craft
>By 11.59 p.m., the once peaceful, idyllic town of Puxatawney is barely recognisable for the carnage I have created
>surrounded by cops, guns pointed at me
>I'm laughing at the futility of their efforts
>get pinned to the ground and handcuffed just as clock ticks over
>Nothing happens
>I'm roughly cajoled into the back off a cop car and driven off to face years of courts hearings and fighting for my life in prison before finally meeting my end literally shitting myself in an electric chair
>Fuck, should've just stuck to learning piano
>>
>>63155629
Fucking worth it.
>>
>>63155629
this desu

i would always be too terrified of this happening to ever try it
>>
>>63155629
>fighting for my life in prison
>implying I wouldn't use my skills to rape the entire prison.
>>
It's like you didn't see the movie
>>
>>63155629
And then...
>Try to explain the truth to everyone about the time loop.
>Nobody believes you but... how else could some obscure newscaster have just suddenly carried out the picture-perfect 24-hour rampage?
>Become a legendary /x/ figure.
> Be paroled early for good behaviour and you were ruled insane anyway.
>Become a millionaire, writing books and giving interviews about your experiences.
>>
>>63155629

worse limbo starts again when you are in a 24 hour isolation cel , you cant achieve your goal to get out of limbo... so you are in this cell forever
>>
>>63155930
I don't even like movies, tbqh
>>
>>63155970
oh fuck
>>
>>63156010
do people seriously watch movies anymore? Seriously loling afk at the thought shm fammy
>>
It's probably my favorite movie of all time. It's just so comfy and works on so many different levels.
>>
>>63155629
>setting forth the beast that has always lay dormant inside me
I can feel the fedora through my screen.
>>
>>63153239

I never watched Groundhog day.

Is it worth watching even though I know what happened due to cultural osmosis?
>>
>>63156220

Yes. It's one of those movies that you can watch again and again. Ironic...
>>
he didn't fake it, they even go through the trouble of showing him faking it and failing, only t the point where he gives up personal gain and seeks to simply make the world a better place with what he can do does she fall in love with him. you're autistic, op.
>>
why didn't he just study science until he could create a time machine to change time?
>>
>>63156274
I've been watching it every winter at least once for years now.
The one winter I didn't, Harold Ramis dies shortly after...
>>
>>63156220
It's a mega-comfy cult classic.
>80's tier but made in the 90's
>>
>>63153715
of course you would do that

ur not a normie
>>
>>63156346
timelords
>>
>>63155751
you could potentially plan out the perfect crime, never to be found out and let out the beast that way
>>
i always imagined he killed himself shortly after the ending of the movie

he started that loop in such a small state of mind and with such small goals, and as centuries or more rolled by of him being stuck only being able to improve himself in a specific instance of life his goals stayed the same but he changed

and when he finally got out of the loop and got the girl he wanted, he had all this knowledge and all this power ready to be utilized be he was still just some schmuck working for the news in a town of nobodies, and he realized at that moment the only reason his goals seemed so big was because he was so small

and to go from near omnipotence from having prescient knowledge of everything that occured in that loop to having no idea of the real world and the future after it would be like playing the same level of a game on the easiest setting all your life, and when you finally begin to grasp it you're given the next level on the hardest difficulty
>>
>>63153239
um how do you know years have passed?
And he's not faking a personality for just one night, he's becoming someone else through the time.
It's actually pretty romantic.
>>
>>63153715
Just because the movie doesn't show a killing and rape stage, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Before or after he wants to kill himself, steals money and shit, it would make sense that he would try those things too.
>>
>lives like neet
>this is somehow a problem
>ending is supposed to be happy
animereactionimage.jpg
>>
>>63157694
>just because a movie doesn't show or imply something doesn't mean it wasn't covered
Kill yourself
>>
>>63153239
Wait, you don't think personalities are real, do you?
>>
>>63157637
Holy shit, you didn't even claim to be a woman and I believe you're a woman.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.