[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT- the greatest show ever to be on tv
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 17
File: lead_large.jpg (68 KB, 615x410) Image search: [Google]
lead_large.jpg
68 KB, 615x410
ITT- the greatest show ever to be on tv
>>
File: guyfirey.jpg (83 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
guyfirey.jpg
83 KB, 500x500
>>63148975
that isn't diners drive-ins and dives
>>
>it's a Carmela's jealous and bitter scene
>itäs an Anthony jr or Meadow scene
>>
>>63149003

this post is fucking MONEY
>>
Deadwood was better
>>
File: x-files-2015.png (233 KB, 640x250) Image search: [Google]
x-files-2015.png
233 KB, 640x250
>>
DUDE LOTS OF MEANINGLESS SYMBOLISM THAT IDIOTS LOOK WAY TOO MUCH INTO LMAO
>>
>COPS 90s - early 00s
>The Twilight Zone
>The Sopranos

The Holy Trinity
>>
People only like Sopranos so much because of the violence and the obnoxious Italian-American stereotypes
>>
That's not a picture of Twin Peaks, OP.
>>
>>63153747
>a show with one great season (consisting of 8 episodes) and a mediocre 22 episode season with 4 great episodes
>better than a show with maybe 80 great episodes
>>
>>63150752
this
>>
>>63148975
I hate Italian-Americans.
I hate their culture, their idioms, their voices, their food and their cro magnon features.

This is why I cannot bring myself to watch even 10 minutes of this shit.
>>
>>63152074
It's the mob violence and obnoxious stereotypes that draw you in, its literally everything else that keeps you around.

>>63150881
>this butthurt plebeian pushing the "reading too much into this guys lol" meme for over a month now

just go back to Breaking Bad retard, here's your reply
>>
>>63152074
>violence
>Sopranos
Especially early on, The Sopranos is incredibly tame compared to today's standards of violence on TV
>>
File: 51EGp5o+SEL.jpg (59 KB, 378x500) Image search: [Google]
51EGp5o+SEL.jpg
59 KB, 378x500
Easy
>>
>>63148975
>watch it once
>think the Wire is a bit better
>rewatch it
>it actually is undeniably the best show now you understand how to distinguish the show's actual POV from that of its characters

almost too patrician for me
>>
File: People_DavidChase02[1].jpg (82 KB, 470x477) Image search: [Google]
People_DavidChase02[1].jpg
82 KB, 470x477
>>63154757
David Chase hates Italian Americans too, though, as well as pretty much every other group of Americans.
>>
File: image.jpg (299 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
299 KB, 1920x1080
>Nobody corrected OP yet
>>
the wire is better
>>
>>63154969

>born David DeCesare
>hates Italian Americans

Maybe you're just jealous that only Jews and Italians can make good TV shows :>)
>>
>>63155095
>implying people who hate themselves aren't the best writers
>>
>>63155319

Larry David.png
>>
>>63154999
>everyone tells me the finale of this and The Shield are GOAT
>the Sopranos finale is actually way better than both
>>
>>63155443
It's really not.
>>
>>63148975

You're talking about a show that re-used dialog from a dead cast member and digitally superimposed her head into the scene just to fill one minor plot hole that could have been filled in a much simpler fashion.
>>
File: betty don.jpg (54 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
betty don.jpg
54 KB, 500x500
>>63148975

Agreed, but Mad Men's at least as GOAT, in many ways its thematic and spiritual successor.
>>
>its a character of the week comes in and gets killed episode

Honestly most of you probably were t old enough to remember when sopranos was airing but literally the only discussion about this show was walking pleb tier "who's gonna die this episode"
>>
>>63155519
Less than 5% of people who watched Sopranos weekly actually understood it.
>>
The Sopranos is really not that great. The first few seasons are pretty good at building believable characters and weaving an interesting story together, but it quickly descends into soap opera mode, where the writers become deathly afraid of changing anything significantly or having the characters go through any significant arc. Also they pad the fuck out of this show by boring us to death with countless side stories involving Tony's family, as if anyone gives a fuck if his daughter is fucking a black dude or if his wife is fucking the priest.
>>
>>63154740
David Milch is the best writer in television
>>
>inb4 wirefags trying to argue the undeniable GOATness of The Sopranos

B-but muh boring dialogue and realism!
>>
>>63155633
The dialogue in The Wire is really terrible at times.

"World going one way, people another". Jesus christ.
>>
File: 66.jpg (82 KB, 969x545) Image search: [Google]
66.jpg
82 KB, 969x545
>Christopher and whats-his-face spend an entire episode wandering through a snowy forest looking for a guy they shot
>In the end they just give up
>Absolutely nothing was accomplished in the entire episode
>Everything ends exactly as it started
>The missing dude never appears again in the entire series
>>
>>63155631
>>63154740
>>63150752
>show with no ending
>so bad HBO would not let them end it
>"good"
Never watched Deadwood, never will.
>>
The Leftovers brah
>>
>>63155721
It's implied that he killed Tony in the end
>>
File: AREIZOO 100x100.gif (11 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
AREIZOO 100x100.gif
11 KB, 100x100
WHAT DOES IT EVINCE REGARDING A PERSON THAT LIKES A TELEVISION PROGRAM THE SUBJECT OF WHICH IS A CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION OF OVERLY UGLY NEANDERTHALIDS, AND THEIR MELODRAMATIC TRIBALISTIC CONFLICTS AND FAMILIAL DYSFUNCTIONS?
>>
>>63155787
It's not that good, and also no one watches it so I'll be very surprised if it gets another season
>>
File: wires01.png (1 MB, 1912x1072) Image search: [Google]
wires01.png
1 MB, 1912x1072
I'm really sorry to disappoint you OP.
>>
>>63155974
It indicates as much as someone liking Crime and Punishment or Lolita.

>overly ugly
Do you want some hollywood artificial shit?
>>
>>63156396
>>overly ugly
>Do you want some hollywood artificial shit?

>the point
I
I
I
I
...[abysmal distance!]
I
I
I
I
>your comprehension
>>
>>63156396
>It indicates as much as someone liking Crime and Punishment or Lolita.
Good taste?
>>
>>63148975
Why pic related isn't breaking bad then?-
>>
File: sopranos-wire-curb1.jpg (83 KB, 898x300) Image search: [Google]
sopranos-wire-curb1.jpg
83 KB, 898x300
>The Holy Trinity of television
>All three were on HBO
>All three were written by guys called David
>All three were in their prime in the early-to-mid 2000s
>All three make the stormfags on /tv/ cry because they choose to focus on non-WASP types
>>
>>63154757
that's the point of the show, it's to make Italians (rightfully) look like shit. The funny part is how all the wanna-be mafiosos think it's cool to be like the characters when the whole point is that their lives are shit.
>>
>>63155605
i doubt i understand it, all i took away from it was that it's really awful to be a criminal even though it looks cool on tv
>>
David Chase is truly the Gustave Flaubert of show runners.
>>
>The Sopranos doesn't rely on le ebin cliffhangers like Breaking Reddit does!

Members Only and The Blue Comet

>The Sopranos doesn't have over-the-top unrealistic deaths like Gus in Breaking Memes does!

Phil Leotardo

>The Sopranos doesn't have shitty soap opera melodrama like Breaking Pleb does

Whitecaps

>The Sopranos doesn't have shitty meme characters like Breaking Fags does!

Paulie, Ralphie and Silvio

>The Sopranos doesn't have epin explosions like Breaking Fedora does!

Phil's wire room, AJ's car, plus Artie's restaurant in the first fucking episode
>>
>>63157595

And who are you quoting?
>>
>>63157595
god I can't wait to see how the thread develops following these great arguments!
>>
>>63157595
>Members Only
Leads to the divisive coma dream, alienating most of the pleb viewers.

>Blue Comet
Tony in his bed? Not really a cliffhanger. The way it conveys Tony's paranoia and unease is brilliant.

>Phil Leotardo
Not unrealistic in the same way Breaking Bad is. It's a very meta death where the people watching it unfold represents the audience and our fascination with this lifestyle. There's no catharsis from it.

>Whitecaps
The most realistic, down-to-earth portrayal of human connection and lack thereof in television. It's exactly like how our parents argue in real life. Not soap opera-ish at all. What we're witnessing is two people of innumerable sins reaching their breaking point. It's one of the few moments where lies aren't being spouted and facades are being broken down.

>Paulie, Ralphie, Silvio
The first two are convincing sociopaths with much more depth than any of those in Breaking Bad. Paulie is superstitious, hypocritical, self-serving, loves his mother, stuck in the past, undergoes disillusionment, petty. Ralphie loves his son, tries to genuinely change after the incident, is hinted at having mother issues, self-serving etc. Silvio likes to be in the shadows, is unable to really handle being the boss, becomes irritable when gambling, loyal etc.

>explosions
There is no sense of "badass moments" here. They tend to be surprising but not anything really notable. The aftermath of such events are what really matters.
>>
>>63149114
Hello, Germany
>>
>>63158364
>the people watching it unfold represents the audience and our fascination with this lifestyle.

the guy with the nerve problem with his hand going "oh shit!" always cracks me up. also the babies smiling obliviously in the back seat as the car runs over Phil's head (sending up the sentimentalization of children) and the fact that his last words are "say bye-bye pop-pop!"
>>
>>63158544
It's ironic that Tony tells Phil to focus on his grandkids and move past the self-pity. Then Phil decides to go to war with Jersey and gets killed right in front of them as a result.
>>
>>63158664
>he was focusing on them and moving past the self-pity at the time he was killed for not focusing on them and moving past the self-pity

fucking GOAT writing
>>
>>63157379
I'd agree with this post. Quite patrician.
>>
>>63158364
>Guy gets shot in the head
>His head happens to land in front of the wheel of his car
>His car's wheels, for reasons unknown, just conveniently happen to start rolling despite no-one being at the steering wheel

It was a pretty OTT death, which is out of place on a show like The Sopranos.
>>
File: CTzZS89WUAUfvbe.png (107 KB, 599x583) Image search: [Google]
CTzZS89WUAUfvbe.png
107 KB, 599x583
>it's a junior is eating pussy and everybody knows it episode
>>
>>63156033
Mad Men is better
>>
File: Lloyd.jpg (30 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Lloyd.jpg
30 KB, 480x360
>>63158364
>implying Phil's death wasn't played for entertaining shock value
>>
>>63158364
>The most realistic, down-to-earth portrayal of human connection and lack thereof in television. It's exactly like how our parents argue in real life.

These are the words of someone who's never seen Friday Night Lights. The Sopranos is my favorite show of all time, but Friday Night Lights' Eric and Tami is are a MUCH better, more realistic portrayal of human connection and marriage than Tony and Carmela ever were.
>>
What is Dekalog
>>
>>63161239
Agreed
> dat episode where the teacher kisses tami and her and coach laugh it off in bed
>>
>>63161238
No, the people watching the death were representative of Americans watching the horror unfold but not doing anything to help. A running theme in the show.
>>
>>63155728
>I haven't seen it
>but I know it's bad

Fuck off, pal.
>>
>>63161304

>being this much of a first year hipster contrarian

Calm yourself, sprout.
>>
>>63158364
>It's exactly like how our parents argue in real life

Damn, senpai. Your parents must suck.
>>
Buffy the cock slayer.
>>
>>63154870
Correct answer
>>
>>63148975
That's not The Twilight Zone.
>>
>>63154999
My whole family works in the funeral business, without viewing the setting as a novelty this show was shit with unlikable characters and a canned "X Business owner gets involved in his customers' lives" premise. You plebs loved it because it fit into your morose=patrician/cynical=intelligent high school level worldview.
>>
File: 1447150594890.jpg (65 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1447150594890.jpg
65 KB, 499x499
>>63161336
>Helping Phil
>>
>>63161238
That's my problem with S6, that they seemed to just keep throwing stuff in for shock value

>Tony being shot
>AJ trying to kill Junior
>AJ trying to kill himself
>Tony beating up that guy at Satriale's just because he feels like it
>The ending

Overall it was still a good season, but kind of feels a bit dumbed down.
>>
File: 999MTX_Joe_Pantoliano_002.jpg (48 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
999MTX_Joe_Pantoliano_002.jpg
48 KB, 852x480
Anyone else find it kinda funny that two of Joey Pants' most iconic and best known roles are Cypher and Ralph Cifaretto?

Cypher
Cifaretto

It's like the Batman/Bateman thing.
>>
File: 121fridaynightlights0451.jpg (111 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
121fridaynightlights0451.jpg
111 KB, 1280x720
>>63161239
This. I love The Sopranos, but Tony and Carmela's marriage, as good as it was, was very "TV." By that I mean it was filled with never-ending drama. Infedelity, constant fighting, over-the-top screaming.

Coach and Tami, on the other hand, are the best depiction of a marriage in TV history. Their fights felt real and you never questioned their loyalty or love for each other when they fought. They were a true team.

Also, Friday Light Nights also has the most realistic depiction of teenage love on TV (Matt and Julie) on top of that.
>>
>>63161462
Dekalog is a great film, but I wouldn't call it television.

Same way I wouldn't class Scenes From a Marriage or Fanny & Alexander as being television, despite the films airing in episodic format.
>>
>>63161656
Tony was shot so he would re-evaluate his life, which he briefly did, then didn't give a shit anymore
>>
>>63154793
Breaking Bad is good. If it didn't have a fanbase, got low ratings and negative reviews, everyone here would agree.
>>
>>63161656
Are you kidding me? To think any of this could be done for shock value leads me to believe you didn't understand the show.
>>
>>63161695
I'd say both shows do an excellent job of portraying two very different relationships. Coach Taylor and his wife have an actual healthy relationship in which they have each other's trust and loyalty.

In the Sopranos, Tony and Carmela dont trust each other, Tony is disloyal countless times, etc. they dont have a good marriage. That doesn't make it any less "real."
>>
>mafia show named after singer

ahaha
/tv/ shilling crap again
>>
>>63161933
You're right. I didn't mean to imply that Tony and Carmela's marriage was any less realistic than Coach and Tami's, but rather that Coach and Tami are simply the better depiction of marriage and human connection. When I said that Tony and Carmela's marriage is very "TV," I meant that there's pretty much an unwritten rule in TV drama that the main married couple has to be unhealthy. I can't recall a recent drama that includes an actual healthy, happy marriage at the center of the show. It gets tiresome after a while. That's why Friday Night Lights was such a breath of fresh air for me.
>>
>>63162473
But how is a healthy, happy marriage inherently a better depiction than Tony and Camela's unhealthy one? I haven't seen FNL but I personally find it extremely true to life for a show to cover all that marriage entails in its ugliness, its ups and downs. I thought the decision to have Johnny Sack and Ginny as a direct contrast to Tony and Carmela was also brilliant and showed how not everyone in the mafia participated in infidelity and not every wife stood only to gain the materialistic benefits.
>>
>It's a Junior's goomah hand-feeds him peppers after fondling his junk episode
>>
>>63161223
weak b8
>>
>>63157379
Tony was redpilled as fuck though
>>
>>63157379
>Curb over Deadwood
>Larry David, not David Milch
Nice try
>>
>>63148975
yes
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.