[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>George Lucas fired his friend and producer of the previous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 1448317964059.jpg (543 KB, 1363x1929) Image search: [Google]
1448317964059.jpg
543 KB, 1363x1929
>George Lucas fired his friend and producer of the previous two Star Wars movies, Gary Kurtz, before production began (although some sources say he simply quit on his own) as Kurtz disagreed with Lucas' assertion that audiences didn't care for the story but for the spectacle.

That fuckin explains a lot. Typical amerifat director.
>>
>>63142782
What up, Gary
>>
Gary how do I grow an Amish beard like yourself
>>
>>63142782
>audiences didn't care for the story but for the spectacle
But that's correct
>>
So how's say post empire career bro?

I mean, kershner at least got a bond movie
>>
>>63142782
The better question would be, why can't we have both? GOOD story and spectacle?
>>
>>63142782
the prequels made shit tons of money

the audience didnt care
>>
>>63142782
And he was 100% right, but that only works if you know what "spectacle" means. Pic related.
>>
ROTJ is riterarry better than anything Kurtz made post since he left Star Wars, both in spectacle and story.

And he will never achieve the memes that the prequels gave us
>>
how many bad star wars films would have to come out in a row for them to stop turning a profit in the next 100 years
>>
>>63142782

As opposed to euroserf directors, who can't do either right.
>>
>>63142958
Fury Road would have been a whole lot better had it featured a story like the Road Warrior did.
>>
>>63142963
Ewooks. So no.
>>
>>63142782
>That fuckin explains a lot
fired his wife too
you know, the editor of all his movies before these
>>
>>63143027
He didn't fire his wife. He brought her along in the first one after the original editor was a mess. She didn't edit empire or jedi.
>>
>>63143007
>TRW
>Story
HAH
>>
File: frolixo~frog[1].jpg (6 KB, 247x172) Image search: [Google]
frolixo~frog[1].jpg
6 KB, 247x172
>>63143007

GET OUT
>>
>>63143007
It did have a story though.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-08-01-19h41m31s30.png (558 KB, 1912x792) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-08-01-19h41m31s30.png
558 KB, 1912x792
>>63142958
Said spectacle has quiet, tender moments where you get to know and care about the characters a bit and their struggles. Much like the original Star Wars trilogy. Pic related, packed a bigger emotional punch than anything in the prequels.
>>
>>63143292
is that the dramatic skyward big NO? does anyone ever do that in real life?
>>
>>63143329
I do it all the time
>>
You guys are brain dead morons.

>MUH SPECTACLE
>he's right

Here's a clue, it would have made money regardless & instead of being revered as a piece of crap it would have been hailed as another great edition to the Star Wars series.
>>
>>63142782
>Lucas' assertion that audiences didn't care for the story but for the spectacle.
Lucas is 100% right. I want to just look at the person who watched 4-6 for the "story"
>>
>>63142932

Is that a real question? They are necessarily rivalrous. Any scene where they progress a story comes at the cost for it being as spectacular as it could be.
>>
Hey, yeah, but what if no matter how correct Lucas was about the audience just caring about toys, a good director wouldnt have made a shit film for toy revenue?
>>
>>63143329
I did it two times today already
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.