[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
looking for a new show to watch if i enjoyed star trek tos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: babylon5-title.jpg (25 KB, 295x133) Image search: [Google]
babylon5-title.jpg
25 KB, 295x133
looking for a new show to watch

if i enjoyed star trek tos and tng but disliked ds9 will i enjoy this?
>>
you will not
>>
>>63130156

Try Seaquest, my brother. I'm still in season 1, but I'm digging it.
>>
>>63130171
watching episode 1 righr now for the hell of it, definitely seems more intelligently written than ds9 even though the premise feels familiar

>>63130465
thanks man, will check it out
>>
>>63130156
Think DS9 but better

Also, seasons 1 and 5 are the worst. 2, 3, 4 are best.
>>
>>63131319
DS9 is B5 with the serial numbers filed off. Still a good show, but it happened because JMS pitched the idea to the Star Trek people, they said they weren't interested, then they created a show that was mysteriously very, very similar to B5.

B5 seasons 2.5-4 is some of the best sci-fi ever put on television. S1 is largely very bad but sets up important things later and S5 suffered from a "We used up our plot in S4 because we thought we were going to be cancelled" effect.
>>
Babylon 5 is infinitely better than DS9. Seasons 2, 3, and 4 are some of the best on television.
>>
>>63130156
Since ds9 is a trek version of b5, (continuous plot, fleshed out characters, politics, etc) no, you probably won't like it.
>>
File: 1430245833947.png (2 MB, 908x1017) Image search: [Google]
1430245833947.png
2 MB, 908x1017
>>63130465
Season one is actually pretty fun. The shows are mostly still grounded in science fact. Season 2 tried to jump on the X-Files bandwagon and goes right the fuck off the rails.
It does have recurring Mark Hamill as a blind astronomer, so there's that.
>>
>>63131428
B5 is NOTHING like DS9. The only similarities are superficial. JMS himself denied that anything was stolen. The chiefs of B5 were white and the chief of DS9 was black, for fuck's sake. Total opposites in every way.
>>
>>63131796
B5 is a Trek version of Enterprise
>>
>>63131960
>JMS himself denied that anything was stolen.
I like how you manage to show up every time someone mentions this. It's got to take a lot of dedication. You're still a wrongheaded shill tho senpai.
>>
>>63131806
I heard that season 2 goes full crazy scifi, but does it do it well like Lost In Space where it's fun, or is it like Space 1999 where it's just off-putting?
>>
>>63132024
Hello fellow traveler. It's not dedication, just circumstance. As a wagekek I only post on /tv/ on weekends and some evenings, mostly to Trekthreads, and I am steadfast in my opinions.
>>
>>63130156

It's dated. But good. Gets better toward the end, but seems very rushed at the finale.

A lot of meme characters.
>>
B5 is amazing it just takes some work to get into, but it's work it.

S1 - has most of the worst episodes of the entire show. Tiny budget. The odd good episode.
S2 - S4 - gods tier, probably the best story and character arcs of any sci-fi show
S5 - an utter mess but they rushed production due to cancellation worries at end of S4. great ending.
>>
>>63132239
>meme characters

you must be 18 etc...
>>
File: 1447617631197.jpg (11 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
1447617631197.jpg
11 KB, 443x332
>>63132124
There are some interesting episodes in the first half of the season, but it just really becomes shit about halfway through. Some are campy fun though, Has the worst season finale in history, however. Season 3 is basically a reboot of the series with based Michael Ironside as the captain, Scheider was pissed at the direction of the show and even went off on the producers in interviews. He left but was still contractually obligated to do a few episodes so they spend the entire third season assassinating his character. That part is pretty funny. Another fun thing : In the first season you have William Shatner playing a deposed dictator who learns the healing power of dolphins from Darwin. Shatner is at his most Shatnerish. It must be seen to be believed.
>>
>>63132400

I bet your favorite character was Londo, you fucking child.
>>
>>63132530
That's a fucking shame about season 2, because I love scifi cheese, but it has to be done well.

So far I'm loving season 1. Bridger's a great character, and unlike other scifi captains, he really has remorse in all of his actions. He's a man of war, but he hates it, and he hates that he's so good at it.

Is season 3 any good? Sounds good that they tried to reboot after a bad season, but is it worth it or should I just stop at season 1?
>>
>>63132249
The last episode was filmed during the filming of season 4.
>>
>>63132738
Definitely finish Season 1. Watch the 2 hour Season 2 premier. Pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the show. But like I said, there are some pretty good ones sprinkled about even in 2. I love the cheese too, and SeaQuest is one of my favorites. Check out Earth 2 as well. It's done by the same production company and only runs one season but it's pretty good. On Netflix last time I looked.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.