[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Memes aside, what is it you don't like about this guys directing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: tentin quentinito.jpg (59 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
tentin quentinito.jpg
59 KB, 400x600
Memes aside, what is it you don't like about this guys directing?
>>
Some of the quirky shit he adds to movies just screams "Look at me!" which is kind of obnoxious and in general he can come off as more of a fan of movies than a director. I don't hate him though and genuinely like Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.
>>
>>63112237
His films are popular so they're bad.
>>
He has the emotional maturity of a ten-year-old.

I'm not saying his isn't wildly talented; he is. The problem is that his films are given a reverence and analysis that they don't merit. Tarantino is a visceral filmmaker. But there aren't very many layers to peel back (aside from the odd homage to obscure films).

I'm still waiting for him to make a film for grown-ups. "Jackie Brown" is the closest he's come, and I think that's largely due to him using source material.

I'd love to see what he'd do with a great script he didn't write.
>>
I don't have any problems with his directing. He makes b movies with an a list budget, and he knows it. I just hate the mouthbreathing manchildren that call his movies ingenious and deep.
>>
>>63112523
classic /tv/
>>
Anything good that's in his movies is ALWAYS from an older film or book.
>>
>>63112523
Na.

It works sometimes, but sometimes his style is too fucking obnoxious to the point where it ruins the immersion. I don't want to be constantly reminded I'm watching a Quentin directed movie when I should be just focusing on the plot
>>
Its his juvenile approach to film making and subsequent representation of themes that should be handled with more subtlety and class that have become tiresome. In the begining it was a novelty and unique bit know its just a shtick. He needs to grow up and just take the profession he's apart of more seriously. Hes got the technical abilityhe just needs grow his style Iinstead of constantly trying to be memelord.
>>
uno farto
>>
Is he on the spectrum?
>>
He gets the credit of being some cinematic mastermind when in reality all of his movies are amateur hour meme tier but just with a good DP. Also the fact that he isn't willing to go outside of his comfort zone makes him seem extremely insecure.
>>
Quentin "The Foot Soldier" Tarantino
>>
>>63112237
he is a tryhard
>>
>>63113090
While not entirely, he did go out of his comfort zone with Jackie Brown and it wasn't a box office smash like Pulp Fiction, nor was it as critically acclaimed. Then Mira Sorvino dumped him which broke him mentally and he gave us Kill Bill.
>>
UNO
>>
>>63112237

it's a black male thing
>>
FARTO
>>
>>63113090
What I don't like is that he's still trying to be a director when his writing skills have the potential to be top-tier. Stop making movies and write full time, you faggot!

Same thing applies to Kevin Smith.
>>
@
>>
>>63112237
He became far too self aware of what his movies were *supposed* to be.

For instance, there's humour throughout Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown but the tone of those films are completely different to everything he's done since then. His 90s work is far more mature than everything he's done from Kill Bill onwards. It's now like he feels the need to fill that niche role as the director that makes pastiche, exploitation revenge movies and people defend it and say, "well that's his style!", but it wasn't always the case. He used to make movies with far more nuance maturity.

There's a frustration with him, that as he's about to release his next pulpy b-movie, that he never really grew as a director and never pushed or challenged himself to explore filmmaking and his own potential.
>>
>>63113170
>applies to Kevin Smith 15 years ago
Got your back with a correction, homie.
>>
>>63113146
>>63113169
>>63113180

what's going on here?
>>
>>63113200
You're... not wrong.

I miss the Kevin who gave a shit about his craft.
>>
>>63113194
This. He peaked at Jackie Brown.

>That one-take with Bobby DeNiro

It's truly a shame, the first three films he made are fantastic. I never truly enjoyed Kill Bill, while I thought Death Proof was a bit of fun, as well as IB, but there's something missing in his modern films. I feel like he's winking at the camera sometimes. Also, his appearance in Django was absolutely one of the worst performances I've ever seen. He clearly has a huge ego.

He also wants to either be a nigger or fuck a nigger. There's this palpable love of niggers in his films. (inb4 pol)
>>
>>63113227
I just think his "craft" has switched to podcasting--where he is affable and sounds legitimately happy. Ever film he has made since Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back has some kind of abusive story attached to it (poor box office showing, savage critical review, Bruce Willis dick-ery). Hell, he has not mentioned Red State in like 3 years...as if it never happened..
>>
>>63113273
And Tusk was a complete box office bomb. It somehow managed to make no money on a $3m budget. Should've stayed with Blumhouse. At least they would've promoted it right.
>>
too much """""natural"""" dialogue, DUDE THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT COFFEE AT A TIME LIKE THIS XD fuck off with that
>>
>>63113299
>$1,848,317
>no money
>>
>>63113325
Yeah that's fucking nothing at all.
>>
>>63113272
Tarantino has been wrecking films with his performances since From Dusk til Dawn.
>>
File: images (80).jpg (15 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
images (80).jpg
15 KB, 384x384
He does fusion incredibly well
>>
>>63113325
>3 million plus promotion (minimal but still cost something)
>makes less than 2 million in box office

That's a loss--in case you are not able to do math at this hour. In fact, it is borderline remarkable he grossed that low with a "wide" release film (approx 1800 screens) given it was 1) a horror film 2) Kevin Smith name recognition 3) released in September against nothing
>>
File: what is going on here.webm (678 KB, 598x336) Image search: [Google]
what is going on here.webm
678 KB, 598x336
>>
>>63113353
i thought he portrayed autism very well in that role
>>
uno farto @ 3:17

and

is this the tyra show or is it turning into night calls?
>>
>>63113421
all of a suddaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gVB4N9Kl9Q
>>
>>63113449
it's a black male thing

i actually feel sorry for qt he seems retarded like real retarded kind of sad
>>
>>63113449
Dude looks like the king of Zimbawbwe
>>
>>63113353
He's good in FDTD. He got to play himself.
>>
File: 1445368999248.jpg (85 KB, 600x586) Image search: [Google]
1445368999248.jpg
85 KB, 600x586
>>63113449
Do you think Quentin got diddled by the black men his mother was dating?
>>
All his movies are the same, really. Pulp fiction is one of my all time favorites though so I don't hate him by any means. He is just kind of a one trick pony.
>>
>>63112237
DUDE CONTEMPORARY MUSIC IN HISTORICAL SETTINGS LMAO
>>
>>63113449
>third grade(maybe less)
>>
>>63113756
He only has two historical movies, and they don't really use contemporary music. If they do it obviously wasn't very effective, because I don't remember it.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.