[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /tv/. I'm kind of a pleb at present. The only currently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: image%3A12268.jpg (240 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
image%3A12268.jpg
240 KB, 1500x1125
Sup /tv/. I'm kind of a pleb at present. The only currently active director aside from kung fu movie directors that I know that I like is Refn, and Drive and Only God Forgives are among my favorite films.

What other directors can you recommend for me? I love the kind of gritty fairy tale vibe of those movies, the symbolism, and the way ambiguity is used to allow for watching the same movie multiple times and getting something different out of it. I also like how pretty his movies are.

Thanks in advance.
>>
Any other pleb director, you know who they are
>>
>>63100628
>Only God Forgives
I thought it was shit.
Sorry I don't have anything useful to say.
>>
>>63100698
It was shit.
>>
>>63100659
What? Like Michael Bay? You don't have to like Refn, but let's not pretend that's fair.
>>
>>63100698
It really was shit

I felt they were trying to hard to capture Drive's success and fell flat on their faces
>>
>>63100798
I liked it. I didn't think it was as good as Drive, but I found it to be an enjoyable story about someone else who gets dragged into a situation with a Driver-like character. In fact, if you go with the "One-Eye, the Driver, and the Angel of Death are all the same entity" thing, at least metaphorically, Gosling being cast as Julian could suggest the Angel forgave him not only because he chose to spare the girl, but also because he saw something of himself in Julian.
>>
>Paul Thomas Anderson
>Harmony Korine
>Gasper Noe
>Dennis Villeneuve

Who from this list are any good?
>>
Watch the Korean version of Oldboy.
>>
>>63100987
they're all worth a watch, check them out and see whose style you like the most
>>
I don't know how well they'd fit into your tastes, but my absolute favourites are the Coen Brothers, Lars Von Trier and Martin Scorsese,

>>63100987
I really, really like what Villeneuve I've seen, and Paul Thomas Anderson is pretty good
>>
>>63100987
Korine, simply because he's a master of aesthetic textures.
>>
Don't let /tv/ make you think you're a pleb for liking martial arts films. They're probably the hardest kind of movie to make well from a cinematography standpoint, and some of the mist beautiful movies are martial arts movies.
>>
Kubrick, assuming you don't already know him.

I'll also second PTA and Noe
>>
>>63102101
I know Kubrick. Barry Lyndon is in my top 5 movies. I was interested in people still making movies so I can get excited about upcoming and current movies as they're coming out.

Thanks for the other recommendation though.
>>
File: clean shit.jpg (14 KB, 345x160) Image search: [Google]
clean shit.jpg
14 KB, 345x160
>>63101854
Fuck yeah nigger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCj0_GvbIQk
>>
What's the difference between a movie and a film?
>>
File: zog.jpg (54 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
zog.jpg
54 KB, 850x400
>>63101854
exactly
>>
>>63100720
>>63100798
Sup reddit

>>63100698
It's not
>>
>>63102184
A movie is when it's obviously not a flick, but I mean, come on, it's hardly cinema, how could you call it a film?
>>
>>63102184
>God tier
Using them interchangeably

>pleb tier
Only saying movie

>hipster tier
Only saying film
>>
>>63102153
You want contemporary directors?

Steve McQueen, David Fincher (if you don't know him already), Bong Joon Ho
>>
>>63102259
Thank you.
>>
>>63102184
>Flick
Tarantino

>Movie
Nolan

>Film
Kubrick
>>
>>63102259
Thank you, now can you recommend good ones?
>>
>>63102384
Can you give me some good examples of action-oriented pictures that qualify as films? What about Westerns? Romance?
>>
>>63100628
> I love the kind of gritty fairy tale vibe of those movies, the symbolism, and the way ambiguity is used to allow for watching the same movie multiple times and getting something different out of it.

Watch Blue Velvet, and from there go on and watch David Lynch's other movies.

Brick, starring JGL.
>>
Who are the best neonoir directors? That's probably what OP wants.
>>
>>63100628
the fuck is up with those eyes
>>
>>63102453
Malick
IƱarritu
PT Anderson
Nolan
Coen Brothers
Tarantino
Fincher
Villenueve

I know some of those are controversial, but at least bring them to OP's attention and let him decide on his own. Those above have at least one good movie and a few have movies coming out soon
>>
>>63100987
Their all good, but Anderson and Villeneuve are much more accessible, and more enjoyable. Noe and Korine have a talent for very nicely shot films, but their subject matter and execution are often too strange or """"""""pretentious""""""" for people.
>>
Seconding Steve Mcqueen. Hunger was absolute god tier. Shame and 12 Years a Slave, despite /tv/ retards thinking its only praised because of white guilt, are also very good.
>>
>>63102493
Honestly, don't worry about the classifications, that's just a meme. For good westerns, check out Sergio Leone movies or others starring Clint Eastwood. Die Hard and Terminator I and II are pretty classic actions movies
>>
File: blue velvet.jpg (12 KB, 344x146) Image search: [Google]
blue velvet.jpg
12 KB, 344x146
>>63100628
Try David Lynch. Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive and Twin Peaks are masterpieces. So is Inland Empire imo, but watch all of his other stuff before that.
Refn and Lynch were my two favorite directors when i was first getting into film.
>>
>>63102745
Steve McQueen is shit. He doesn't know shit about telling good stories.
>>
>>63102805
No love for Eraserhead?
>>
>>63102844
Honestly just forgot about it in the moment. It's great though.
>>
File: take-shelter-poster1.png (2 MB, 1000x1545) Image search: [Google]
take-shelter-poster1.png
2 MB, 1000x1545
Jeff Nichols is what I would like some recommendations based on.
Mud and Take Shelter are quite interesting in their sheer restrainment and temperance.
Can't wait for what he does next.
>>
>>63103331
Take shelter is a modern masterpiece. It's a shame how little people have seen it
>>
File: beans from even stevens.jpg (14 KB, 278x278) Image search: [Google]
beans from even stevens.jpg
14 KB, 278x278
>>63101464
>aesthetic textures.
>>
>>63105012
Are you saying a texture can't be aesthetically pleasing? If not, what are you saying?
>>
>>63105056
What does "aesthetic textures" mean in references to films?
>>
>>63105116
Visual textures, like a brick wall, that look appealing. I assume. I'm not that person.
>>
>>63105202
Why didn't he just say that Korine makes appealing visuals?
>>
>>63105520
No idea.
>>
File: thief.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
thief.jpg
90 KB, 1280x720
>>63100628
If you like Drive watch Thief.
>>
>>63106627
Alright, will do.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.