[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I didn't grow up around VHS. You're going to say "underage!!!"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1447347950871.jpg (53 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1447347950871.jpg
53 KB, 640x427
I didn't grow up around VHS. You're going to say "underage!!!" or "they were still around in the early 2000s, how could you not know about them?", but the thing is, I don't remember anything from ages 3-6 other than floating colors and shapes.

Is it true that movies on VHS looks better than the ones on DVDs, like the image and the sound is crispier and it's like it have actual soul?

Is it worth to start a VHS collection? I want to show some retro movie to my friends on friday night, I was wondering if an old TV set and a lot of tapes could be neat, I think they look super cool and I'm quite fed up with streaming and netflix that, to me, is too commercial oriented. They even sell VHS remasters of new movies, they're quite expensive but I think they worth the price.
>>
>>63090906
>Is it true that movies on VHS looks better than the ones on DVDs, like the image and the sound is crispier
yes
>>
>>63090906
VHS at least look better in a shelf in a box set.
Goddamn do the DBZ box sets look good.
>>
VHS is shit. Anyone who says otherwise is a contrarian hipster faggot.
>>
>Is it true that movies on VHS looks better than the ones on DVDs
no
>like the image and the sound is crispier
no
>and it's like it have actual soul?
when people say this, they know it's shit, and try to pass off the shittyness as a feature.

i remember vhs, and the sound especially was fucking awful.
>>
nah it didnt look better, it might have sounded a bit better because (especially with older movies) the sound was a bit muffled and this was enhanced by a vhs, kinda like a casette tape. Also remember watching the blair witch project on tape... made it have an extra eerie feel
>>
>>63090906
this has to be a redditors making, no one with such ignorance towards film as a medium and such autistic satisfaction and drive to jerk himself off after he got 4000 upboats can exist outside of these realms. this is the essence of reddit if I ever saw it, pretentious hipster capeshit quirky DYI bullshit with literally the worst taste.
>>
What's a VHS?
>>
VHS was really shit. Rewinding was always a bitch
>>
Fuck no, DVD was an upgrade for a reason.
>>
>>63090906
>Is it true that movies on VHS looks better than the ones on DVDs

No.
>>
>>63091532
They're a weird cool crossbreed between Blurays and tapes, they're really cool things and there's a bar in my town that allow customers to share their VHS, there are also bands and such, VHS became very hip this fall
>>
>>63090906
>Is it true that movies on VHS looks better than the ones on DVDs, like the image and the sound is crispier and it's like it have actual soul?

Yeah this thing that no one ever says it totally true
>>
>>63090906
>Is it true that movies on VHS looks better than the ones on DVDs, like the image and the sound is crispier and it's like it have actual soul?

I think you're confusing movies on VHS with music on vinyl.
>>
File: hes so autistic though.webm (245 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
hes so autistic though.webm
245 KB, 1280x720
>I want to show some retro movie to my friends on friday night, I was wondering if an old TV set and a lot of tapes could be neat, I think they look super cool

lol, millennial hipsters
>>
VHS was not better than DVD

they were initially more reliable than DVDs which would scratch and stutter a bit (amid screams of how that shit was never a problem with videos), but the picture and sound quality was noticeably poorer

home/family videos are the only legit reason for VCRs to still exist
>>
http://archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/text/I%20didn%27t%20grow%20up%20around%20VHS/
>>
>>63093590

There's still a bit of low-no budget horror thats VHS only but really the only reason to collect it is for the box art.

I could see the appeal of having a cheap tape collection but decent blu-ray rips of the films in question on your HD.
>>
>>63090906
>Is it worth to start a VHS collection?

No. Not at all. If you want retro hipster shit then get yourself one of the early 2000s Sony Trinitron tube TV's an a Laserdisc player. Shit looks fantastic.
>>
>>63090906
You forgot to add what year you were born.
>>
>>63090906
What's with the fake VHSs for seasons of The Walking Dead, Dexter, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones. A VHS could hold two episodes of one of those shows.

Hell, Interstellar would probably be split across two VHSs too.
>>
>>63093146
not as cool as my Betamax Cafe
>>
Ignore the trolls telling you VHS looks worse than DVD.

VHS is analogue, DVD is digital. Analogue has virtually infinite resolution, limited only by the number of atoms on the tape, and is therefore highly superior.
>>
File: dangers of being too cool.gif (461 KB, 500x360) Image search: [Google]
dangers of being too cool.gif
461 KB, 500x360
vhs was shit quality and pan and scan and you'd watch it on unbelievably shit televisions where you could literally see red blue and yellow little oblongs making up the picture that would all blur together into a general approximation of an image with fucking random static tearing across the screen when you'd watched it too much and it always amazes me that i would watch films on it and enjoy them as much, if not more so, that i do now in 1080p on a decent 50 inch flatscreen piece of shit. like how the fuck did i even perceive the movie behind all of those unbelievable hindrances
and then dvd came out and it was literally like 'HOLY SHIT GUYS IT TURNS OUT YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE PEOPLE'S FACES RATHER THAN VAGUE BLURS, SO REAL!!!!'
and now i watch dvdrips and they're even shit and and you can't see shit
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.