[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Friendly reminder that Lucas wanted to call lightsabers as laserswords
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9
File: george_lucas.jpg (148 KB, 708x1129) Image search: [Google]
george_lucas.jpg
148 KB, 708x1129
Friendly reminder that Lucas wanted to call lightsabers as laserswords and he always call them that in interviews
>>
>darth icky

anyone remember what that diner alien guy from episode 2's name was supposed to be?

it was even more retarded than what it ended up being
>>
>>63083182
Sleezbagano or some stupid shit like that.
>>
File: 1448140967715.png (39 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1448140967715.png
39 KB, 400x400
Rise, Darth Insanius
>>
>>63083051
>laser swords

well, its no dumber than fireplace really

>>63083182
max something? its like max's 50s diner or some bullshit

>>63083187
thats the deathsticks guy
>>
>>63083182
>diner alien guy from episode 2
Just typed that into google and it came up.

He's called Dexter Jettster, and he ran Dex's Diner.
>>
in germany they are known under both names
>>
He also pronounces Naboo as Nayboo, Gungan as Goongan and Dooku as Doku

I've never understood it
>>
>>63084319
He checked out after RotJ. Humanity as a whole should have taken ownership of Star Wars away from him after that like a child protection service, because he really didn't give a shit after that.

I love hearing about how authors, artists and game developers "consulted" Lucas on the details of whatever they were working on. It always explains where all the dumb shit in it comes from.
>>
Why hasnt this fuck been shot dead by a crazed fan yet?
>>
>>63084319
He's autistic
>>
>literally thought they were called lightsavers when I was a child.
>>
>>63084407
dark vader
>>
>>63083051
Yeah, and?
>>
lasersword isn't any dumber than lightsaber, you're just conditioned to the latter so it sounds better to you
>>
But they are laser swords. Them being made out of light is stupid shut up light can't can't shit, and they sure ain't sabers the Jedi don't even have mounts to fight from.
>>
I get annoyed when he constantly refers to them as Laser Swords. That is such a shitty name for them.
>>
>>63084474
Lasersword sounds a lot more blunt and stupid

Lightsaber is a lot more interesting and magical fantasy kind of word and fits better with the jedi

You can't be this fucking stupid. Would the force have had the same impact if they had just said "the move"? Fuck no.
>>
>>63084479
they are not made by laser because lasers are different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUEbMjtWc-A
>>
SW fags will literally bitch about anything.
>>
i laugh every time lucas uses a word or pronunciation for something from star wars that absolutely nobody else in the movies or in real-life does
>>
Someone needs to dub a version of SW whit "Lightsaber" replaced with "laser sword" and "the force" replaced with "meme magic"
>>
>>63084527
Only because you're accustomed to it.
>>
Daily reminder

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cos_Dashit
>>
People fucking joke about shit like Darth Icky, and Darth Insanius, but this fucker right here actually exists.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Savage_Opress
>>
>>63084626
Yes, the genius of Lucas. I'm pretty sure he worked heavily with the team behind the Clone Wars show, so that was probably his suggestion.

I mean there's asinine shit in the EU too like Darth Traya but at least Kreia was a deeper and more interesting character.

Lucas doesn't like that "not black and white" approach to the Force though. Gotta be pure evil or a super hero.
>>
it's called a lightsword in polish
>>
>>63084282
>fireplace
Damn, that's fucking retarded.
>>
>>63084803
Probably because poles know what sabres look like.
>>
>>63084785
To be fair, it's just as annoying seeing people trying to shoehorn moral grey crap into something that has always been black and white good and evil.
>>
>>63084803
lightsword is way better than lightsaber really
>>
>>63084906
But on the other hand it's boring to see the same thing over and over again with a franchise that's as massive and popular as Star Wars.

Some variety wouldn't hurt. It's not like Lucas was bringing anything new to the table aside from the Force Unleashed and Rebels.
>>
>>63084906

and for kids
>>
>>63084282
>laser swords
>fireplace
How are these dumb? Are they not British enough for you?
>>
>>63084980
>kids should be fed nothing but black and white garbage like I was
I bet you also want them to buy into the Republican/Democrat duopoly.
>>
Friendly reminder that in episode I jake lloyd calls them lazersworz.
"I saw your lazer sword. Only a Jedi carries that kind of a weapon."
This was probably forced by lucas on the poor child.
Now that i think of it i can't remember any other instances in the prequels where they are called or mentioned again.
There must have been some issues between lucas and the producers on what to call them so they decided to not mention them at all.
>>
>>63083051
tfw in my country it is laser sword
>>
In spain we call the lightsaber Sable Láser. So i guess lucas won in the translations
>>
Here we call it lightsword.
>>
>>63084295
How can you be this stupid?
Do you wake up in the morning, look into the mirror and say to yourself, "Today I'm going to be a literal retard." ?
>>
Calling straight sword saber is even more retarded than calling it lazer sword desu senpai
>>
>>63085752
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabre_%28fencing%29
>>
>>63086010
BTFO
T
F
O
>>
isn't it more like "plasma sticks"
>>
>>63084319
>He also pronounces Naboo as Nayboo, Gungan as Goongan and Dooku as Doku
This confuses me a lot too. Was he doing it on purpose to piss people off? Were they nicknames? Were they what he originally intended to call them but the other people changed the names? So many mysteries.
>>
>>63086417
He did definitely want to call Gungans Goongas but I don't know about the others.
>>
>>63083051
they shouldn't be called sabers though, at least call them lightblades, a saber has a curved shape and is widest at the tip
>>
Friendly reminder that he's being honored in Kennedy Center this year and you are nobodies typing from your parents' basements ;^)
>>
HOWARD THE DUCK AND HIS DIVORCE CAUSED THE DEPRESSION AND INSANITY. Let it be
>>
>>63083051

>Dexter Jettster

>Sleazebagano

>Darth Icky

>Darth Insanius

>Goongas

>Laserswords

>"Now I am Vader"

Ok flam, whatever Lucas says
>>
>>63087405
Not all are curved
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_1913_Cavalry_Saber
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 528x755) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 528x755
Anybody seen this yet?
>>
>>63087445
>not all are curved
I didn't know that and the general audience won't know either. The general audience won't know what a saber is either, though :^)
>>
>>63087443
>"Now I am Vader"

That one was clearly a joke, yet Kasdan the savior of Star Wars was all for it. He also wanted Luke to either die and Leia to take over, or for all the Empire soldiers on the Death Star to see that Luke is the new boss.
>>
>>63087466
Think of it like this.
Pixar had two movies in production at the same time.

Inside Out
>written around a little girl and a friendly girl character

The Good Dinosaur
>written around a little boy and a friendly boy character
>>
But Lightsaber sounds better, Jorge...
>>
Don't worry George, in Spain they are called "Sable Láser".

We love you, we care for you.

YOU
FUCKING
HACK
>>
>>63083051
lol, we call them laserswords in spanish
>>
>>63087443
darth insanius looks like a really good concept
>>
>>63083051
Here in ITALY they are called SPADE LASER which litterally means LASER SWORDS
>>
>>63084527
>Lightsaber is a lot more interesting and magical fantasy kind of word and fits better with the jedi

if you're over 13 you're an imbecile beyond redemption
for fuck's sake, now read what you wrote out loud and tell me if it is normal for any person beyond puberty to say something like that
>>
>>63083187
they retconned that into being his nickname only
>>
>>63089222
Which spanish? Because in Mexican spanish they are called "Sables de luz"
>>
r8 my lucasnames

Reeg Markwar
Darth Despair
Duke Mook Mook
>>
>>63089068
>little girl
According to /tv/ standards she was already a grown up woman
>>
>>63089295
it's espadas laser all the way pinche cabrón
its always been like that

also, arturito
yeah, i said it
>>
>>63089295
en las peliculas viejas pero en las nuevas les dicen sable laser
>>
File: Sheev4.jpg (47 KB, 661x435) Image search: [Google]
Sheev4.jpg
47 KB, 661x435
George originally wanted to call Sheev Thus Enette. He still referes to Sheev as this in interviews.
>>
>>63089345
Arturito was an official term, they evne used in collectible cards and toys. Don't know if Disney will let them use it anymore.

Sables de luz was used in the original movies, in the new millenial trology they called them Espadas laser
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6113949
>>
>>63083051
beam blades best name
>>
>>63089504
I heard in UK they called them Hockey Pokey Lighty sticks
>>
>>63089431
so is your mum
>>
>>63086417
Lando pronounces han's name differently despite knowing him the longest
he was a good friend
>>
>>63083051
In germany its laserschwert which quite literally means laser sword, Lichtsäbel would sound pretty stupid
>>
>>63084315
not really, schwert isnt the proper translation of saber
>>
File: 1440120965763.jpg (12 KB, 136x191) Image search: [Google]
1440120965763.jpg
12 KB, 136x191
Wasn't Richard M. Nixon the original name of the Emperor?
>>
>>63085723
>googling shit
>hurr so retarded
Am I missing something? You guys were looking for his silly name, and he gave it to you.
>>
>>63091239
Yeah that part in the transcripts made me realize lucas just has a REALLY dry sense of humor and half the shit people take seriously is probably just lucas having a laff.
>>
File: 1447494096635.jpg (10 KB, 433x347) Image search: [Google]
1447494096635.jpg
10 KB, 433x347
>>63091430
>all the prequels were just one long joke
Oh he's havin' a big laff m8
>>
File: bazinga.jpg (112 KB, 942x1181) Image search: [Google]
bazinga.jpg
112 KB, 942x1181
>>63083187
SLEEZBANGO
>>
>>63089271
Lightsaber sounds better than Lasersword.
Literally anyone would say that who doesn't feel they have to prove their maturity through movies.
>>
>>63089264
I'm Italian too faggot and sciabole di luce sounds fucking dumb that's why they went with that
>>
>>63091209
No, it's called "Lichtschwert" which means lightsword. Only in games like Kotor or Super Smash bros. it's called Laserschwert.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.