[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's figure this out once and for all. Was M. Night always
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: m-night-shyamalan-87737.jpg (56 KB, 376x490) Image search: [Google]
m-night-shyamalan-87737.jpg
56 KB, 376x490
Let's figure this out once and for all. Was M. Night always a bad director, or did all the praise he got early in his career go to his head?
>>
Sometimes people just have a couple good ideas
>>
>>63079685
His ego definitely got out of control, and I doubt there was anyone there to tell him that.
>>
He got worse with every movie he made, but his first movie was just a little better than average. Critics really overrated because muh twist
>>
>>63079685
Bad concepts imo. Everyone who sees his films expect a surprise, and if that surprise sucks then the film sucks.
He should experiment with low cost and fake names (not his own).
>>
Okay. I'll tell a secret, i like the happening.
>>
>>63079685
His hype killed him. His first films were great, but eventually he just became a director for hire by last Airbender.

It's a shame, Unbreakable is a legitimate contender for Best Capeshit that is elevated beyond the genre
>>
>>63079869

Me too
>>
>>63079869
>>63079899

Is it a stupid "I just like it" like or a "I have reasons for liking this thing" like?
>>
>>63079869
WE'RE NOT ASSHOLES
>>
He's a good director, he just shouldn't write. Like Nolan.
>>
his first movie was revolutionizing and you 12 year olds will never be able to appreciate it since le ebic twists have become common and predictable now
>>
>>63079910

I don't know, I had fun watching it, can't remember why tough, I was like 12 or 13 maybe
>>
>>63079899
I'll own up to liking it as well.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Wayward Pines.

>>63079910
Even though I knew it was over acted and over the top silly, I just enjoyed watching it. I think he's a good director. He just isn't a good writer.
>>
>>63079921
why? he wrote unbreakable and the sixth sense and those were amazing movies
>>
File: Signs.png (1 MB, 1094x631) Image search: [Google]
Signs.png
1 MB, 1094x631
Only redditors hate him because the single greatest scene in cinematic history is about God

>That's why he had asthma. It can't be luck. His lungs were closed. His lungs were closed. No poison got in. No poison got in. His lungs were closed. His lungs were closed.
Also off-topic but Mel is the goat of all time actor
>>
>>63080552
Unbreakable is ok, not amazing. Good concept but suspension of disbelief never really set in for me because the film treated itself too seriously for its entirety.
>>
>>63081172
It's unironically the best cape opera around. It's not spectacular, but it's still better than any of the other crap in that genre.
>>
>>63081190
It treated the subject matter in such a serious setting that Willis' powers just stick out as implausible/ridiculous.

Also I dislike that it's somewhat up it's own ass and pretentious, all those Mr. Glass' ramblings about comics being elevated to high art, I can practically see M. Night Shyamalan talking the same way about the film.
>>
Didn't he steal the stories of every film he's made from various foreign novels?
>>
>>63079685
He also sucks as a Producer. Take that into consideration.
>>
>>63081472
He stole The Sixth Sense idea from an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark.
>>
>>63081048
>>63081048
thank you senpai. Signs is an underappreciated masterpiece of a movie. It's just so damn good.
>>
I liked the village
>>
>>63079945
Yeah, he showed that you could put a stupid twist in a movie and people would gobble it up.

The problem is that, as you imply, even stupid twists has to be somewhat surprising to work.
>>
File: 1447231383308.jpg (27 KB, 514x564) Image search: [Google]
1447231383308.jpg
27 KB, 514x564
>>63081048
> greatest of all time of all time
>>
The sixth sense is fucking GARBAGE
>>
>>63079685
He's a good director but his screenwriting, beyond Sixth Sense and Unbreakable (and some would argue Signs) is awful. The Happening, for example, looked fine and had a few pretty good shots here and there, but tonally was so bizarre.
>>
good ideas and poor execution.

everyone said unbreakable was amazing. i was hugely disappointed. something about his films feel cheap and B.
>>
>>63084149
not enough ExPLosionzzzz1!1!??
>>
>>63081048
love this movie
>>
File: noooo.jpg (28 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
noooo.jpg
28 KB, 1280x720
>>63084149
>something about his films feel cheap and B.
the writing is just too corny
>>
>>63084149
he hates unnecessary cgi because of how time consuming it is
>>
>>63084163
see
>>63081302

its themes and tone are inconsistent, also too restrained for its own good
>>
>>63079917
JUST A SECOND
>>
>>63083750
heartbreaking OST
>>
>>63084287
not as good as Unbreakable's
>>
>>63084293
yes it is
>>
>>63084301
no it's not
>>
>>63084307
you take that back
>>
>>63084320
make me
>>
>>63079869
>>63079899
>>63080201

How is this possible?

Watch it again.
>>
I liked the sixth sense and unbreakable. Thought they were both terrific. I loved signs though, it's one of my favorite movies.

As for the later movies, yea I'd say the praise going to his head sounds plausible.
>>
I think the guy as (mostly) good ideas about the concept of the plot, but when it comes to the actual script it goes downhill. I recently watched Unbreakable, and there were so many plot holes and fallacies that, adding the fact that i took itself WAAAAAY too seriously, in the end it was barely ok. Also the twist at the end is totally retarded (would be much better if the guy wasn't a cripple).

I honestly don't get the praises.
>>
>>63079685

I think a lot of directors get overworked. You have a good idea and you make it into a movie. You have another and do that. Maybe you have a GREAT idea and manage to pull it off. Then you're in, signed on for 3 more pictures.... and you're kind of spent. So you make another and another and another..... but you already kind of did your best ideas and dream project and oh god....

Look at his career, he did some light work, first projects and they did what the studios needed. Then he gets to do 6th Sense and Unbreakable, his big moments. After that it was "hey you're a success, make more stuff!" and I don't think Signs or The Village are unwatchable, but they're not as engrossingly interesting as Unbreakable is.

By Lady in the Water, he was spent, he did films out of obligation and not inspiration. You can look at many directors careers and see this pattern. They pay their dues, get a big break an after a few films lose their steam and do some stinkers, cause..... money? I mean why not.
>>
>>63079685
remember when he lied on the syfy channel (back then it was still scifi) and said he died as a child for a few minutes and came back to life?

hes a fucking hack
>>
>>63084149
>good ideas

No, he's got twists.
>>
>>63079869
>>63079910
I like Lady in the Water and I really expected to hate it. That bit with the pool party specifically reminded of happy memories as an infant.
>>
>>63084063
Fun fact: that guy survived the 1999 Columbine massacre
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.