[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tv/ think about interstellar? I've found it overrated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (141 KB, 719x1080) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
141 KB, 719x1080
What does /tv/ think about interstellar? I've found it overrated and even cringy at times. Matt Damon was cool though.
>>
>TARS set your shitposting to 100%
>>
Decent. But a total copy of many movies. And the whole dust bowl thing was literally shoved into viewer throats.
>>
I really enjoyed it for it's deep roots in actual science, but the second it turned into
>lel the power of lob :DDDDDD

I knew it was a meme movie and lost faith
>>
too much exposition

>takes an entire hour to establish the plot
>>
It's a film that doesn't work but I respect it for aiming big.
>>
>>63077220
but 2001 was long too so my movie has to be as well I can do it better
>>
>>63077224
This. In an era of of endless superhero movies and remakes of remakes of reboots, at least Nolan TRIED to do something original and lofty. Despite its flaws I'd still rather watch this 10 times than Avengers 2 once.
>>
>>63077205
There really wasn't much actual science in the movie
>>
>>63075952
Inarguably the greatest movie ever made. From the sprawling dissection of humanity's evil and selfishness through Dr. Hugh Mann (played in an Oscar-deserving performance by Matthew Damon), to the beautiful Oedipal relationship between a father and his daughter. In one film, Nolan manages to explore the furthest reaches of space and time, and ultimately collapses into a blackhole, symbolic of how he has filled a great void consuming modern cinema. Without this film, science would not have a place in modern cinema, and we would be forced to watch lesser films such as "Lucy," without nearly the same amount of science in it. Nolan and his scientist friend Kip Thorne even co-wrote a book to accompany the film, and it was given to audiences freely on the opening screenings, as if inviting their minds into the greater realms of science. Without this movie, cinema would be doomed, but Nolan once again saves it. This has been compared to "2001," but it is a better film -- the story isn't pretentious, but very close to home, resting on romance and a father's love for his childrens. Bravo Nolan.
>>
>>63077220
Exposition is KILLING Nolan. It killed Inception and it damn near killed Interstellar. He needs to take the final cue from Kubrick and make intelligent movies that leave it up to the audience to figure out for themselves. If you have to spoon feed every story detail to all the fucking rednecks out there it never works.
>>
>>63077384
No not when compared to reality, but when placed next to your average block buster it was 1000x more actual science. Also, it did get time dilation right
>>
i liked it when it was about muh exploration
when matt damon showed up and everything became difficult it became a drag
plus the whole "i enter the black hole and hear the robot in my brain and i'm the ghost" was dumb
>>
>>63077426
It is the same story for all his movies. Batman is a literal exposition machine and he doesn't know how to do nuance. Even Michael Bay is capable of it at times.
>>
Pros:
>Great performances
>That scene where Coop reviews his childrens' messages
>Fantastic score
>Visually spectacular
>Realistic depiction of time dilation
>An original (read: not based on existing IP) science-fiction film

Cons:
>Predictable
>Poorly-written characters
>Cringe-worthy dialogue
>Ham-fisted nonsense
>Illogicalities throughout the plot
>At lest one plot hole
>Strangely unintelligent astronauts
>Inconsistent editing

Nolan really needs to stop writing his own films and stick to directing. Shitty story lets down amazing visuals. Would've made an astounding silent film.

Verdict: 6/10
>>
>>63077614
Nice review, Max. But seriously, stop posting on /tv/.
>>
>>63077343
This

I'm not expecting much from Nolan but this movie was still the only thing that got me into a theater
>>
It was good but felt a little long. Thought the same thing about Uno Farto's last few films too. Or maybe years of 4chan has just destroyed my attention span.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-11-04-23h46m51s465.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-11-04-23h46m51s465.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
It's actually one of my favorite movies.
>>
I love it.
>>
>>63075952
As a science fiction fan I found it painful to watch, and I think all the faggots who praise the real science up until love are talking shit. Interstellar isn't clever, entertaining or pretty. It has pretty much no merits, everything it does the movies it ripped off did better. Nolan brings nothing positive to the movie equation, he's a deliveryman for plebs. The kind of person who likes his ersatz shit is the kind of culture destroying idiot that wouldn't know the real thing if it bit them on the end of their fucking dicks.
>>
>>63078030
How often do you have to be sharpened to remain that edgy? Do you have a professional do it or have you just gotten your mom to do it?
>>
A good movie that turned out great because of the soundtrack, loved the ambition of it. 8/10
>>
>>63077614
Even some pros are arguable. That message from the past has been done in other stories.
>>
>>63078060
>missed the reference on the end
I hate /tv/
>>
>>63075952
felt like I was being talked town to at every turn
matt damon was good, though but they never really explained how he got to mars after he exploded on that planet
>>
>>63077205
Kek

People keep bitching about "oh, how do transmit 10 years data, watch, Gravity, blah, bleeh, bluh"

Let's take a step back and look a movie like "the lobster" (only actually seen like two trailers) theres the part where the chick is like "oh, we put an onion on our belt if we're tired and if we stick our left arm behind our back that means we want to fuck"

You know how Coop transmitted 10 years of data? He fucking sent a message that said bumble rumble bath mat teletype, and Murph completely understood because they share a connection, its called love.

And yes, movies are memes, the whole point of art is examining and spreading ideas about culture you fucking swine
>>
>>63077057
Went to shit right around the water planet where Earth aged 30 years or whatever.
>>
it's one of those movies that claims to be philosophical but really says nothing at all
>>
>>63077205
basically this

they took their time to explain gravitational time dilation but they couldn't think of something more interesting than THE POWER OF LOVE

I think they just ran out of time and went with the first retarded idea
>>
I'll admit I haven't seen it, but I think it's interesting that someone finally made a movie about what space means to Americans. Is there a Russian equivalent to Interstellar? Please don't say Solaris, because I know that that's a better movie...

http://youtu.be/o3XfYxx_oN4
>>
>>63079431
Essential what is space?core
>Contact
>Gagarin
>Royal Space Force
>>
>>63077897
Same. People can hate on it all they want. Watching it in IMAX for the first time, can't recall the last time I felt that invested in characters and actually cried in a theater.
>>
>>63079978
Same here too. Still got goosebumps the third time I watched it
>>
File: 1442967945679.jpg (43 KB, 492x717) Image search: [Google]
1442967945679.jpg
43 KB, 492x717
>I'll just swing us around that neutron star
>Like no fuckin problem man
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.