[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"This confession has meant nothing"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 575x515) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 575x515
So all the murders took place in his head, right? The part at the end where the secretary looks through the notebook is proof that Patrick Bateman did nothing wrong.

Am I right, /tv/?
>>
>>63071414

No. Watch it again.
>>
No, they all actually happened. Everyone was too self absorbed to care about what was happening outside of their own lives, which is why the confessions meant nothing. People simply don't care if they're true.

And the secretary noticing the notebook is simply the secretary noticing his insanity. She's one of the only people who showed care or interest so that's why she was the only one to see the notebook (realize Patrick's doings)
>>
The whole thing is that you can pick either takes: it all happened or it was all his sick imagination.

Ellis the writer sticks to the idea that it was all in his head but the director of the film says it all happened.

It all being hallucinations/imagination makes the most sense in terms of the clues.
>>
>>63072678
That's so off base. Ellis is way more ambiguous than the movie and according to the movie it was most likely all in his head.
>>
>>63071414
Dubblez
>>
These dubs have meant nothing
>>
They all happened. He tries to confess because he's so tired of being confused for everyone else and never acknowledged as himself. The line "this confession has meant nothing is saying despite all his awful actions and even his attempt to turn himself in, no one cares about anyone but themselves. Even he doesn't care about anyone except himself.
>>
>>63073522
and here we go
>>
File: MIDICHLORIANS.jpg (26 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
MIDICHLORIANS.jpg
26 KB, 500x338
>>63071414
>try to make a legitimate american psycho thread, end up getting doubles
>>
>>63073545
excuse me?
>>
>>63073606
he even spoilered the pic, the absolute madman
>>
>>63073174

The final chapter in the book is the most interesting, when Bateman is recognised by the taxi driver for killing his friend. He lets Bateman go in exchange for his gold Rolex, once again attesting that those at the top and the bottom are obsessed with material wealth over the truth.
>>
>>63073174
Even in the book it's fairly ambiguous, it really all could have been in his head or just an extreme fantasy, or he really did murder just a few and the rest are fantasies or he really did fucking murder everybody.

In the end when he's arguing about having murdered someone that someone else is swearing they met with just a week ago can also be taken either way, either this business really is "Everyone looks the fucking same why the fuck should i remember guy #3120 wearing the same shit" and bateman really did murder him or batemans insane and didn't murder anyone.

That being said, the book does a good job of riding that line, but it's still a fairly meh book.
>>
>>63071414
Why does it matter if they happened or not? They were there to underline how Wall Street bankers - once the pinnacle of civilized world - were savage, shallow and misanthropic people. It's a movie about the bleak nature of our superiors' moral landscapes, and thats it.
>>
File: patrick_hip_to_be_square.jpg (130 KB, 765x761) Image search: [Google]
patrick_hip_to_be_square.jpg
130 KB, 765x761
>>
The point is you're suppose to ask yourself which is more sad. That a man would be so furious with his mundane existence that he will kill everyone around him, or that he only believes he did.

Either way, hes psychotic.
>>
The first time i saw it i thought it was a pretty funny dark comedy. That's what i get when they leave out the killing of that kid that happened in the book.
>>
>>63073823
The book is kind of that way, until you get near the end and bateman has a fucking break down with that woman and just cries his fucking eyes out about how he wants life to mean something and to just have a regular life.

But then he says fuck it and just goes back to what he knows.

I don't think it's just a message about "the rich and elite", i think it's a message that reaches every man, how we all desire this materialistic shit and this power that means absolutely fucking nothing and how we all truly deep down desire a life that has meaning, but were caught up in this rat race because it's all we know.
>>
>>63072678
>It all being hallucinations/imagination makes the most sense in terms of the clues.
There's clues for both. Namely, the detective says he has a witness that saw the missing guy (however we've been shown mistaken identity earlier) and the lady showing the apartment acts really weird to patrick (even though the place is completely spotless now).

Most clues themselves don't point one way, there's no math that shows one side is greater.
A lot of stuff you'd think is evidence for one side is actually a situation offers support for both positions and thus neither.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.