[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recently have started watching The X-Files and have been enjoying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8
File: the x files.jpg (231 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
the x files.jpg
231 KB, 1920x1080
Recently have started watching The X-Files and have been enjoying it. Not really sure how I should be watching it though. Should I skip the "Monster of the Week" episodes and just watch the episodes from the main story arc? They've been pretty hit or miss so far in my opinion and it feels like a chore to get through them I just want to get to the episodes about the aliens. Will I miss something if I skip these episodes? Should I just be watching all of them?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pXF3Up7e10
>>
any list with the best episodes?

I've seen the entire series but i'm in the mood to watch the best episodes, mainly the MOTW ones.
>>
>>63048322
>Not really sure how I should be watching it though.

When one episode ends, watch the next one. Repeat. It's pretty simple.

If you don't like the MOTW episodes, drop the show now.

>>63048443
The images of episode ranking aren't really accurate
>>
>>63048322
Watch these ones
http://x-files.wikia.com/wiki/Mythology

Then go back afterwards and watch the best monster of the week ones. The top 10 lists online are usually pretty accurate.
>>
>watching a series only for its best episodes

literally reddit
>>
anyone else get bored and stop watching by season 5?
>>
>>63048322
No. The main story arc is great, but the MOTW break up the monotony of the series. With such long seasons, its a break to see them do something else.
>>
File: skully.gif (1 MB, 300x173) Image search: [Google]
skully.gif
1 MB, 300x173
>>63048322
You'll be missing monster of the week in later seasons
>>
>>63048586
>>63048491
butthurt xphiles defending mediocrity
>>
>>63048936
your the faggot watching the show
>>
The main arc never really goes anywhere, so the MOTW eps are the primary reason to watch in my opinion
>>
>>63048948
I try to sometimes, I want to like it because I love paranormal shit. But for most episodes it's just a chore to sit through them.
>>
>>63048936

this

liking things in 2015 is so passé
>>
watch everything
>>
skip monster of the week are you crazy?

what the hell are you crazy
>>
I hate the main story arc eps. T b h f a m
>>
Some of the MOTW eps are the best reason to watch the show. If anything you should find a list of the WORST monster eps and just skip those, there's some so bad that it'll make you lose interest in the show.
>>
>>63048518
myth arc episodes are garbage
>>
>>63048322
Watch the show, or don't. Go back to reddit you fucktard
>>
File: 1418543168508.jpg (21 KB, 700x479) Image search: [Google]
1418543168508.jpg
21 KB, 700x479
>show has literally no plot that you can just pick out the good episodes to watch
>>
>>63048982
Then stop watching. Why make a thread about how you don't like it? I think many of the best episodes are MOTW, so I would definitely recommend watching all of them.
>>
>>63048322
No
>>
>>63048322
The main story arc is fucking garbage, just watch the MOTW episodes.
>>
When does the show start getting really good? I'm only halfway through the first season, and it's fine so far, but the plots are still kind of unfocused and at times bland.
>>
File: 1447534025322.jpg (137 KB, 1500x1127) Image search: [Google]
1447534025322.jpg
137 KB, 1500x1127
Name an episode worse than The Field Where I Died
You can't.
Runner up, that one with the shapeshifting wold that mails itself from africa
>>
>>63052621
It ramps up in S2, and gets better until the end of 5. Once Mulder leaves the show dies, besides based Dogget sometimes pulling one through.
>>63052631
*wolf
>>
I also just started watching. Is there a dip in quality, or any point I should stop watching?
>>
what are the essential episodes to watch? I don't want to waste my time on boring episodes
>>
>>63052668
the last 2 seasons
>>
>>63052668
Drop when mulder leaves
>>63052684
Don't watch it if you hate it you shit.
Or kill yourself.
>>
This is one of the worst TV series to ever appear. It had the most laughable plot imaginable. As if that wasn't enough, the characters and subplots are so mundane and boring that it is impossible to stay awake. First the main plot. Some nut working for the FBI (probably the only believable thing about the series), believes the Defense Department is covering up UFO sightings. This is so logical. how else can the Defense Department ask for a smaller budget at appropriations hearings. "Oh, we don't want to reveal there are UFOs because then we could ask for less money for our budget!" No. If there are UFOs, you can bet the department of defense would be loudly proclaiming it. Sorry. For them not to is completely impossible. So we have the stupidest conspiracy premise ever actually succeeding as a show for several years. This would make sense if there were interesting subplots, action, or suspense, but everything is so predictable, you'll wonder if it's a comedy. Not saying there aren't aliens. (If you ask me, you're all from some other planet.) Just saying the premise falls on its face with a thud, and can't be taken seriously.
>>
is your adhd so bad that you can't just watch a whole series? does everything have to be delivered quickly and easily to you morons on a fucking platter?
>>
File: 1382560057674.gif (2 MB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
1382560057674.gif
2 MB, 300x199
>>63048322
>Should I skip the "Monster of the Week" episodes and just watch the episodes from the main story arc?

is this a troll question?

do autistic faggots like yourself actually require an ongoing story episode to episode to stay interested these days?

is this just a millennial thing?

am i being trolled? holy fuck.
>>
>>63052746
Is this taken from IMDB or something?
It's pretty epic.
Also they aren't telling anyone to stall for time on the hybrids.
>>
>>63052770
>>63052781
Millenials and underages need instant gratification. They want to seem hip by watching something they've heard is good but want to be spoonfed the best of it for nerd cred on twitter and reddit.
>>
>>63052781
Why would someone not want an ongoing story? Unless it's something formatted like Black Mirror where it's made clear the stories are already separate, your post makes no sense. That is how serial fiction works.
>>
>>63052856

>hercules
>xena
>farscape
>stargate sg1
>xfiles
>buffy
>angel

every single fucking show has "ongoing story" now, and its fucking awful.
>>
File: m0sY8.gif (967 KB, 245x300) Image search: [Google]
m0sY8.gif
967 KB, 245x300
>>63052856
>Why would someone not want an ongoing story?

because some of us dont suffer from autism, ADD, and/or assburgers. its called character development and its a lot harder to create when some faggot is constantly running from Plot point A to Plot point B.
>>
>>63052781

>do autistic faggots like yourself actually require an ongoing story episode to episode to stay interested these days?

Yes. This is why TV shows can no longer have have a scope of their universe and backstory, because what used to be "Problem of the week" episodes that revealed political, social, planetary, whatever background to the franchise can't keep peoples attention so they don't make it.

It's why I stopped watching TV. I loved shows with that style. Star Trek, Stargate, those kinds of things, and they're dead now.
>>
>>63052915
It's a lot better than crap like Criminal Minds.
>>
Most of the episodes aren't about aliens. The main story starts off OK then gets worse then better then abruptly ends during the 7th season in disappointment. Neither of these are why you watch X-Files. Monster of the week is what makes the show classic and worth watching.
>>
>>63053033

ugh, your right.

fuck this gay earth and fuck millennials
>>
>>63053091

Imagine watching Stargate with all episodes except direct Goa'uld, Replicator, Lucian Alliance/Ori cut out.

Or Star Trek with only continued villains like Klingons/Borg/Cardassian episodes in it.

Those shows would be so bare bones and lack their pretty complex universes and plethora of races, planets, plots, etc. You wouldn't know NEARLY as much about the characters, their personalities, their back stories, nothing

That's what most modern TV feels like to me. Like a 15 hours movie told to me over a year.
>>
Just watch every episode. Why the fuck is this a question?
>>
>>63053176

yeah i think thats why i enjoyed firefly so much. literally every episode was world building and character development, and it was glorious

now every actor is a 2 dimensional flying fuck shit because they have no episodes to grow
>>
>>63052711
I'll agree with this assessment. Season 7 was hit and miss for me, but it had some great episodes. When all is said and done, you'll eventually watch Season 8 and 9 anyway. Maybe not right away though.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 434x608) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 434x608
>>63048322
Don't listen to the contrarians in here, OP. The myth arc is fucking great television and I'm sure that you wil enjoy it as much as every X Files fan did back then. It will surprise you how good those episodes were for their time, mostly before season 7.

>the main story arc goes nowhere
Wrong. The big story they set up did have an ending but it wasn't some epic scale confrontation like plebs wanted, it ended rather gradually. Maybe it didn't pay off the way everyone expected it, but that's how things are. The X Files is a show that takes itself very seriously and can be more real than other non science-fiction shows, which is one of the things that makes it really good when contrastes with the weird shit that happens all of the time. Things turning out not quite how everyone wanted is part of that charm.
Ok, so after the main plot lines were resolved, FOX wanted the show to keep going, so the writers had to take some elements that remained from the myth arc and expand on them and add new shit in order to keep the show rolling with a sustained main story arc that wasn't as engrossing as the one from previous seasons but was still kinda connected to it, which is why people feel it's just the same thing but diluded and uninteresting.

Now, MOTW episodes can be a chore the first time, exceptions being the really good ones, but in the end you will learn to appreciate them as the main escence of the show, we're you can see Mulder and Scully being the characters you like doing the stuff you like seeing them do without any other compromises and they can be really fun in the end.

But watch it and decide for yourself. If you like podcasts, I recommend The X Files Files podcast by Kumail Nanjiani as an excellent companion piece that will help you get more insight on the show and appreciate it better..
>>
File: 1446371877893.gif (388 KB, 267x199) Image search: [Google]
1446371877893.gif
388 KB, 267x199
>>63052829
>>
>tfw no scully gf
>>
>>63048443

The episodes written by Darin Morgan are some of the best.
>>
Where's the episode where mulder fucks scully?
>>
>>63055558
The XXX Files
>>
>>63054524
this
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.