[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You have 10 seconds to me why The Force Awakens won't be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: force awakens 2.jpg (152 KB, 1280x1755) Image search: [Google]
force awakens 2.jpg
152 KB, 1280x1755
You have 10 seconds to me why The Force Awakens won't be the highest grossing film of all-time.

>Unprecendented contract to rent out every single IMAX theater in North America for over a month
>10 years of inflation compared to previous Star Wars films, as well as being the first IMAX 3D Star Wars movie
>Will likely remain in theaters for a very long time
>Fastest and highest pre-selling film of all-time by more than double, 1 month before the movie has even released with ticket sales steadily increasing as awareness of the film increases
>Widely predicted to top out both Avengers and Jurassic World in domestic box office opening weekend, unprecedented for a December film
>China has finally lifted their ban on Star Wars after 4 decades, they've already gained interest in the series because of an international rerelease
>Global marketing campaign (arguably the biggest film advertising campaign ever) in every movie-going country
>Unlike the prequel trilogy, no one knows what's going to happen in the film which has caused widespread fan speculation and meme spreading all over the internet, again, months before release
>Most viewed YouTube trailer of all-time

Well?
>>
China had a star wars ban?
>>
>>63044971
Literally the Star Wars movies were screened in theater for the first time around late 2014 early 2015. The films were always massively successful in Korea and Japan, but China wouldn't let people watch them.
>>
>>63044918
2.7 billion is a lot of fucking money. That's nearly twice Avengers money. It needs repeat watches from average people. That's what got Titanic and Avatar those huge numbers, normalfags watching it theaters multiple times. It has to be good to get that, and I don't know if it can.
>>
>>63045020
That's really interesting.

Wonder if they held up, considering how old they are. I'm going to google around for a bit.
>>
>>63044918
>>
>>63045041
This. But I do think it will enter the top 5.
>>
>>63045108
It will be top 5 without question, honestly I could see it even beating out Titanic. I think just snugly behind Titanic is the most likely final resting place though.
>>
>>63045041
Well consider the following.

>Prequels directed by crazy George Lucas who does whatever he wants, doesn't give a shit about anything and is old and losing touch.
>doesn't do that well because of universal complaints that it sucks compared to the OT
>still breaks box office records when Phantom Menace releases anyways, becomes a global event despite the movie being widely remembered as trash.

Basically, people already think the movie looks like a modern original trilogy with new heroes, reactions to the trailer is universal excitement and people who have already watched the movie say it's great. I mean, the movie will probably be pretty good (not Empire Strikes Back or A New Hope tier), but it would be shit to have as bad a reputation as Phantom Menace.

Normalfags will see it for spaceships, warp speed, aliens, lightsabers and blasters. Which is why people went out in theaters in the 80s to see the original trilogy.
>>
>Unprecedented contract to rent out every single IMAX theater in North America for over a month
Cant have literally any movie compete otherwise this shit will be screening for empty theaters.
>10 years of inflation compared to previous Star Wars films, as well as being the first IMAX 3D Star Wars movie
I myself don't give a shit about IMAX 3D or 3d at all for that matter.
>Will likely remain in theaters for a very long time
So? After its initial disappointment wears off, it will be screening again in empty theaters.
>Fastest and highest pre-selling film of all-time by more than double, 1 month before the movie has even released with ticket sales steadily increasing as awareness of the film increases
I'm pretty sure about half of the presells are scalpers, check ebay if yo don't believe me.
>Widely predicted to top out both Avengers and Jurassic World in domestic box office opening weekend, unprecedented for a December film
I couldn't give less than a flying fuck, it could break every record in the book and it will still be in my opinion a shit movie.
>China has finally lifted their ban on Star Wars after 4 decades, they've already gained interest in the series because of an international rerelease
And look at any media about it being marketed over there, they are leaving Finn out of everything. The moment the asian markets learn he's a main character this movie will drop faster than the dow in 2009
>Global marketing campaign (arguably the biggest film advertising campaign ever) in every movie-going country
See above
>Unlike the prequel trilogy, no one knows what's going to happen in the film which has caused widespread fan speculation and meme spreading all over the internet, again, months before release
You don't need to be larvoyant tho figure out the formula here : bad guys come fuck shit up, hero comes out of nowhere, hero was the chosen one all along, bad guys defeated.
>Most viewed YouTube trailer of all-time
Too many retards are allowed access to the internet
>>
>>63044918
>You have 10 seconds to me why The Force Awakens won't be the highest grossing film of all-time.

It most certainly has the hype to do it. If the movie is actually good, there's no reason to think it won't make over $3 billion. At this point, it almost entirely depends on the quality of the movie if it wants to go all the way. If it sucks, it will still make a shit ton of money, but it will fizzle out.
>>
>>63045156
And none were even close to Titanic.
>>
>>63045156
>people who have already watched the movie say it's great
Pay me enough money and I'll tell everyone in the world that a turd is actually made of gold.
>>
>>63045248
Truly a titanic movie
>>
>>63045217
>Cant have literally any movie compete otherwise this shit will be screening for empty theaters.

This never happens for Star Wars movies, even the shitty ones.

>I myself don't give a shit about IMAX 3D or 3d at all for that matter.

Maybe you don't, but it does vastly increase the income the creators make per ticket sale. Also most people aren't scalping tickets, they're buying at least one showing. Many people have already bought multiple tickets just to watch the movie more than once.

Doesn't matter how shit you think the movie will be, it's still going to be the highest grossing film of all-time.

>>63045248
>>63045282
Titanic was rereleased multiple times and stayed in theaters everywhere (including China) for a long time. Force Awakens will be released everywhere but won't even need to be in theaters as long to beat Titanic's record. Not to mention Force Awakens will mostly be IMAX 3D tickets, which are much more expensive than 1997 ticketss. Also the prequels had the wide reputation of being shit while this one is basically heralded as the actual revival of star wars.
>>
>>63044918
That's some based art, OP, where'd you find it?
>>
if it's shit it will do 1.5 billion worldwide, minimum

if it's ok it will do 2 billion

if it's actually 'good' then pick any number between 2 and 3 billion, once you get to that level it gets very difficult to forecast when talking numbers like that...if it's going to beat Avatar though I think it might need a re-release before Rogue One to boost the numbers
>>
>>63044918
Keep trying,Shillbotberg
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.