[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/swg/ screenwriting general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: swg.jpg (3 KB, 206x213) Image search: [Google]
swg.jpg
3 KB, 206x213
I enjoyed reading your stuff yesterday.

Let's rev up this engine.
>>
>>63038400
let's talk about sitcom writing for the love of god
>>
>>63038400

I have this really good idea. It's like a heist movie about this guy planning to steal a teleportation machine.
>>
>>63038400
It's 1pm in hollywoodland, the writers are at work

thread = dead
>>
>>63039024
Have you started writing/outlining it
>>
>>63039024
Biting elbows already did it as a music video
>>
I've always wanted to start screenwriting how do I go about it?
>>
>>63038831
For things like Friend or How I Met Your Mother, they are cracking jokes non-stop. Almost every other line is a joke. But at the same time, if a joke is shitty, they have the laugh track fallback. If a joke is shitty on a single camera/non laugh track show, it sits and stings.
>>
>>63039779
JewTube/Draft Zero

I wrote a shortfilm that qualified for the London Horror Film Festival. I did not win, but I received really encouraging feedback. I am now in uni (26y/o) giving Filmmaking another chance.

Shit's pretty cash yo.

Thanks for reading my blog guys.
>>
>>63038831
Hey, it's >>63039907
I went to a talk with Greg Daniels as part of the Salford Comedy Festival. Lemme see if I can find some videos. Dude's a legend.
>>
>>63039779
Technically? Search for screenplays of films you like and understand how they're written.
Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZszextv6yE
Then use a free software like WriterDuet and try it out. It's very intuitive and fun.

As for plotting a story, you've seen enough films to *sorta* know how a film is supposed to be. Just trust your instincts for your first couple of screenplays. You gotta have a protagonist who wants something, and something that stops him. And I guess throw in a climax 80% of the way and you're fine.
>>
>>63039758

Who is Elbow Biter?
>>
File: 1446668636282.png (292 KB, 1592x1600) Image search: [Google]
1446668636282.png
292 KB, 1592x1600
>>63039779
>>
>>63038400
Currently writing the script of a short docu-series pilot. But still need to do another day of research.

But right now I need to sit down and edit a short promotional film.

>>63039779
Just try it. Start with a logline and premisse, move up to a synopsis (this is still all free writing) When its all clear move to a screenplay (you can google the format and tools, most writing software does 90% of the formatting for you, realize that screenwriting itself isnt a very creative medium and very formal, so work on a word document untill you are ready). And remember to show and dont tell when you start the screenplay.

>>63039024
I think when people are planning a heist its already suspensefull enough. When people are pushed to this level of crime there must be something wrong with our society. No need to add a Sci-fi element.
>>
Has anyone transitioned from scripts to novels? Is there a wave of relief or anxiety that comes with having more freedom in novels?
>>
>>63040248

Novels are bloated trash and seperate those who want to tell a well crafted story from the douchebags who want to huff their own farts
>>
>>63040449
>Novels are bloated trash and seperate those who want to tell a well crafted story from the douchebags who want to huff their own farts

Whoa, that's pretty edgy there, careful! You might cut yourself!
>>
Anyone got something finished? I can look at it and give my amateur feedback.
>>
What do you think about my last short film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exmK2fLR7zA
>>
>>63040627

>Don't agree with somebody's opinion
>Call them edgy! That's the ticket!

fag
>>
>>63042036
It's too boring. Nothing to keep me interested in the first half. He's making breakfast really slow. You can show that in a quarter of the time.
>>
I wonder when the retarded plebs in /swg/ will realize they aren't writing screenplays at all, and just writing minor plot outlines that can equally be applied to a short story 5 pages long.
>>
>>63043313
People have posted features here, nub.

That is true though. When people tell you ideas, they give you a rough premise and a twist ending, and absolutely nothing else.
>>
>>63042036
It doesn't really have anything to say.
>>
Do you guys actually write or just talk about it?
>>
>>63046240
I write................ but my writing is all talk and i'm going nowhere.
>>
Post ideas so I cn have them
>>
>>63047045
he Big After – In a desolately underpopulated post apocalyptic world, the city of Las Vegas, population: 1, becomes the venue for a 3 character mystery, starting with the sudden and unexplained appearance of a one year old baby girl.

Passing Lane – After his brother falls into drug addiction in London, a low rent Detroit hood travels overseas to bring him home; however, once there, an accidental murder sets the dominoes in motion for bleak downward spiral.

Wild Bunch – After a mistaken delivery arms an entire third grade class with broadswords, the faculty of a smalltown school must contend with the Barndale Elementary’s descent into a feudal monarchy.

Battlefield – In the remote reaches of the galaxy, a lone human searches the endless expanse of the aftermath of a planet-wide battle, hunting for other survivors, and more importantly, an answer: Who won?
>>
>>63047045
Villains – In the wake of her father’s death, a young prodigy is forced into undercover work with a charismatic group of high-technology criminals.

Space Mountain – Set in a retro 1950s version of the future, a young man must travel across a solar system in the wake of a terrible disaster, unravelling a mystery as he searches for his lost sister.

Vessels – Far in the future, humans have become a space-faring race, and a schlubby loser finds himself at the center of a frightening incident aboard a space-station.
>>
>>63042036
Pretty intriguing, but unless monotony is part of your meaning, do something to keep it engaging. I was down with watching a sandwich being made, but once I realized that's what was happening, it got tiring after a while. Maybe make something about the process a little out of place to add to the curious feeling of the video or maybe play around with creative camera angles, or at least ones that can help represent your purpose.

Which brings me to my other point. I was unsure of the meaning. Perhaps the sameness of the shots and movements was done on purpose, which is fine. But if that's the case, make sure it's more deliberate. It doesn't have to be less vague, but make sure I know that what I'm seeing is done on purpose, that way I can determine my interpretation of the meaning and not worry that I'm not getting the point because it's coming across unclearly.
>>
>>63046240
Mostly talk, but last thread I got some inspiration.
>>
>>63038400
I am not a writer, and have no good ideas.
I am just wondering, for those of you in this thread who actually have talent, why would you post your ideas or scripts on an anonymous forum?
Isn't that just asking for them to be stolen?

Like, how mad would you be if you posted your story ideas on here and then saw them in a 2018 film?
>>
>>63048656
I'd only be mad if it was written shit.
>>
>>63048656
People are idiots. I've already seen 3 ideas here that if tweaked, could turn out to be pretty good films.

I'm also a producer, so I am in fact going to steal them. Their loss.
>>
>Dinklage is mad scientist
>Creates android wife played by Fan Bingbing
>Leaves her home alone
>She accidentally starts a fire, flees home
>Meets a homeless artist played by Colton Haynes
>Dinklage returns, finds Bingbing gone
>Hires shady characters to return her to him at any cost
>They start hunting Haynes and Bingbing
>Haynes and Bingbing fall in love as they evade capture
>Finally caught, brought back to DInklage
>Dinklage tries to take her from Haynes, she insists she loves Haynes
>Haynes realises she's an android, gets weirded out
>Dinklage realises the extent of what he's created, actual life, and tells the shady guys to let them go, they'll still obviously get paid
>Shady guys see potential fortune in Bingbing and refuse. They shoot Dinklage.
>Bingbing flips out, kills them all
>Dinklage dies telling Haynes to look after her
>Haynes runs away
>Bingbing walks off alone
>fin
>>
>>63048656
>>63049527
Pretty damn easy to submit this thread as evidence, though.
>>
>>63049615
So what? Anyone can just say they've never heard of the stolen person's idea(s). If you are going to post a movie idea or details about it, then you should have it copyrighted and mention that in your post. People in Hollywood are terrified of being sued for protected material, this town is small, and if you get caught stealing or doing anything bad, it greatly affects your representation.
>>
>>63049527
Even if that were true, wouldn't it be smarter to get the actual creator onboard? Any guy on this board would be thrilled if you threw them $1k for their idea and then had someone else write it.
>>
>>63049668
Reputation*

>>63049669
No. Because why the fuck would I want him when I could do it 100% under my creative control? And he's a NEET who eats hotpockets and has no ambition. No way I'm throwing even a penny at them.
>>
>>63049668
Yeah, but all you'd need to do is show the producer's idea, show this thread with someone else posting the same idea, and the reply stating an intent to steal it. That's enough to make anyone agree to settle out of court.

FYI, >>63049568 is registered. Because I'm not an idiot.
>>
>>63049728
Lol kid, you'd get laughed at and not even in court. And nobody gives a damn about 4chan and your post(s). Innocently also, there may be people who have already come up with your idea(s) without even seeing this thread. What happens then? When it comes out as the next years blockbuster? It's not their fault.

And that's just this thread that I joked about stealing the idea. I'm not actually going to, because the ideas here are shit, and no one actually would have any of these shit ideas if they had talent.

>>63049568

Keep it. No one is going to steal that tripe. I'm surprised you paid the $35 copyright fee for such a trash idea. LOL.
>>
>>63048656
>>63049527
>>63049615
>>63049668
>>63049669
>>63049696
>>63049728
And that's what these threads degenerate into, now. Anonymous pals giving each other tips and advice fallen into legal threats, thieving, and general nastiness.
I miss the old /swg/s.
>>
>>63049810
is this really how you spend your afternoons? trolling boards alternating between calling people shit and threatening to steal their shit?
stick to b.
>>
>>63049857
You don't get what I'm saying. I'm saying don't post your ideas here if they're unprotected. If you do, you deserve what you get.

If you're going to put your ideas on an anonymous forum, make sure it's copyrighted, and you should mention it in your post.
>>
>>63049810
Ideas don't mean a thing
>>63047508
>>63047571
These are Max Landis scripts.
It's all about connections.
>>
>>63049894
Everything you write is automatically protected under copyright.
How difficult it is to prove depends on how much circulation its had.
You don't need to register anything, and you don't need to "copyright" it.
Just sticking it on a blog is more than enough evidence of its date of creation.

If you were actually a producer, you would know this.
>>
>>63049958
>It's all about connections.

No shit. I had a great high concept script that people enjoyed albeit a few criticisms but I was told there was no way it could be made from an unknown writer, plus with a budget of 100million+.

It's all about who you know.
>>
>>63050005
Well at least you would've made some connection due to that script, right?
>>
>>63050054
What connection? I had script readers and one producer read it. They said it had a great premise and all, but needed to be "perfect" to be accepted since the budget would be 100million+

The film would introduce a huge new sci fi world with a vast array of characters and storylines.

One reader told me to write the book version, because hollywood hates taking risks and theyd rather pick something up that has some guaranteed success like a book. Simply put, nobody is going to give an unknown like me a shot unless I know somebody important, or I've had previous success they can latch upon.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.