[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the protagonist of this movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg (146 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg
146 KB, 300x450
Who is the protagonist of this movie?
>>
Sheev
>>
Ben
>>
>>63037807
we both know its jarjar
>>
the captain's thick black cock
>>
The Phantom Menace was bold attack on modern literary structure.

There is no protagonist, Lucas was smart and new he couldn't beat Titanic unless he went all out artistically - so he designed a film with no main character.

After the initial writing phase Titanic continued to grow and grow in the box office, so Lucas realise he needed to take his bold ideas further.

He built on his idea to remove the main character. He removed the antagonist as well, and then progressed further by removing any interesting photography and decided to stop directing his actors.

His last minute decision to remove any interesting dialogue and storyline continuity was checkmate - The Phantom Menace surpassed Citizen Kane as the most intelligently designed film of all time.

And the rest is history my friends.
>>
>>63037807
George Lucas
>>
>>63037807
Qui Gon.
He has the most screen time, lines, and biggest spot on the poster apart from Maul.
>>
>>63037807
The Poetry
>>
Jar jar
>>
>>63037807
Qui-Gon and Anakin, are you actually retarded?
>>
>>63037807
The CGI team
>>
File: ohgod.jpg (85 KB, 1920x1048) Image search: [Google]
ohgod.jpg
85 KB, 1920x1048
>>63040881
>>
Sebulba
>>
>>63040584
>>63040843
>thinking qui gon is the main protagonist
lines are almost equal between obi wan and him as well as camera shots
>thinking a character who comes in halfway through the movie is the main character

if they are the main characters theyre also terribly written
>>
Arguably Padme
>>
>>63037807
midichorians you dumb ass.
>>
Honestly I think it's padme
>>
>>63041005
>>63041045
Or was it her body double all along? Lucas is a genius
>>
>>63037897
/thread
>>
>>63041055
Red Letter Memes brings up a good point. Why did the double tell Padme in disguise to clean up R2D2?
>>
sibo bibble
>>
The force.
>>
File: 952tmHZ.jpg (4 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
952tmHZ.jpg
4 KB, 1136x640
>>63037807
>>
File: 1423196880715.jpg (67 KB, 441x411) Image search: [Google]
1423196880715.jpg
67 KB, 441x411
>>63041172
Good one but phantom menace was the last one that used sets and props.
The rest were full on cgi
>>
File: ricola-sugar-free-large-10.jpg (115 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
ricola-sugar-free-large-10.jpg
115 KB, 1000x562
>>63037807
This guy.
>>
>>63041077
As the blood rushed to her nether regions, the power went to her head.
>>
>>63040966
pic related shows up after like half an hour into her movie and is without a doubt the main character and protagonist
>>
File: marge.jpg (102 KB, 300x299) Image search: [Google]
marge.jpg
102 KB, 300x299
>>63041663
fucking captcha
>>
>>63037807
Who is the phantom menace?
>>
george lucas
>>
Has a Star Wars film ever had a main protagonist? I think not.
>>
>>63038048
he may have gone too far in a few places, but it's stylistically designed to be that way and you can't undo that.
>>
>>63041246

That's not true

you told a lie
>>
>>63041246
Rel, real, not so real...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVfp23RL7Nk
>>
>>63041689
Sheev
>>
>>63041777
>what's not true is a lie

And the Nobel goes to...
>>
>>63042060
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>63042178
oh sorry. Forgot about this old thing.
>>
>movies need protagonists
>>
File: Batman and Robin.jpg (61 KB, 500x661) Image search: [Google]
Batman and Robin.jpg
61 KB, 500x661
>>63037807

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan Kenobi, the Jedi we meet in the beginning. They're essentially one character. They're the protagonist/s.

I hate that part in the Redlettermedia review (get at me RLM faggots) where Mike has his "friends" (you know, the RLM staff) list the character traits and qualities of the Original Trilogy characters, but when they get to the Prequel ones they purposely have nothing. It's staged and scripted as hell.

Qui-Gon - A rogue fucker and rebellious as far as Jedi go. He was unorthodox but wise. There's interesting backstory about how the Jedi Council won't let this nigger be part of the council because he goes against the status quo. Lucas took the concept of Master and Apprentice and turned it on it's head by having a headstrong character be the master instead of the pupil. People shit on the midiclorians, but as far as the Jedi go, Qui-Gon is the best example of the Original Trilogy's concept of the "force". I always thought the character was well done and Liam Neeson was GOAT.

Obi-Wan - plays by the book, whiny, dry, looks down on others as inferior beings (he has that great line when Qui-Gon goes back into Anakin like, "why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic life form", basically sensing that Anakin is another burden like Jar Jar), and sarcastic. He jokes throughout the film and is kind of an arrogant dick. He doesn't like when Qui-Gon defies the council and he doesn't think Anakin should be trained, but he respects Jinn. At the end there's a growth where he takes up the mantle of being the instructor/teacher character.
Even though people hate Jake Lloyd, the way he's portrayed isn't bad. He's a bright, helpful young kid. For a kid's movie, I think the way he's depicted is a good role model for kids and they could kind of insert themselves into that role. He saves the heroes from the sandstorm, he saves Jar Jar's ass from getting killed, he's extremely selfless and compassionate.
>>
>>63042426

Oh and for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58JwbQCnpmA

Could add that to the "he was a good friend" meme. Obi-Wan knew Anakin was a piece of shit from the beginning.
>>
>>63040966
Obi Wan spent an entire act literally doing nothing.
>>
>>63042426
Yeah I guess when you project this much into the characters they can have actual character traits and qualities.

Still it's not like literally anything you're saying can be inferred from the movie itself.
>>
>>63042426
Solid analysis. I appreciate it when someone else aptly articulates what I've been thinking.
>>
>>63042426
w2c Obi Wan's boots?
>>
>>63042647
Baffles me that a kid's movie can go over some people heads. Truly baffling.
>>
>>63042747

space
>>
>>63037807
The narrator
>>
>>63042426

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8157ZOq7vSg
>>
>>63037807
Qui-Gon
Do you actually need to be told this? It's obvious.
>>
>>63042647

I don't think I'm projecting too much, you can see these traits as soon as Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan arrive on the Trade Federation ship through their dialogue and actions. Qui-Gon IS a headstrong mother fucker, the council doesn't like or agree with him. He believes in hippy shit like the "living force" and does his own thing. Obi-Wan IS a Jedi fucboi that play by the rules (until the end of the movie). He's a sarcastic fucker when he's messing with Jar Jar trying to scare him, sensing Anakin is "pathetic" and useless, and the other banter he has with Qui-Gon.

Look, I'm not a contrarian asshole that thinks the Phantom Menace is some sort of masterpiece. I don't. I don't even think it's that great. But I do think, besides the Jar Jar shit and Jake Lloyd and Natalie Portman's acting that it's a decent summer movie that I really didn't mind back in 1999. Honestly thought Liam Neeson and Ewan Mcgregor were the saving graces of the movie. I really dug the beginning, AND when they landed on Naboo, A lot of the stuff with Qui-Gon trying to fuck over Watto with gambling is great. When they return to Naboo to go to war? Good stuff. I love the duel at the end.
A lot of it is shit though, no doubt about it. I just think people are too hard on it. It feels the most "Star Warsy" out of the prequels and isn't complete shit like Attack of the Clones. Is it really that much a drop in quality as Return of the Jedi? Return of the Jedi isn't that great either, BUT it does have a bunch of good scenes and moments of brilliance sprinkled throughout (Jedi Luke, bargaining with Jabba, Vader and Sheev, the duel at the climax, the father and son moment with the Vader reveal), just like Episode I
>>
the midichlorians
>>
>>63042426
RLM's review is terrible. It's mostly obvious stuff mixed with "not muh".

You get the feeling that he actually thinks the originally movies were masterpieces.
>>
>>63042426

>Batman and Robin.jpg

kek
>>
>>63042426

Kinda agree. Never had any problem with Neeson or Ewan. Actually have some nostalgia of being Obi-Wan for halloween with a sick snap on braid and robes that my mom sewed for me. Maybe this is blasphemy, but I can't be the only one that actually liked and preferred the young prequel Obi-Wan to the Obi-Wan in the original trilogy. That "certain point of view" crap and ghostly stuff never wowed me.
>>
>>63042531

I don't remember this in the movie.
>>
>>63043057
>actually posting a fucking family guy link
>>
File: hack.gif (3 MB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
hack.gif
3 MB, 350x262
>>63038048
sounds about right
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.