[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Film noir thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: kiss5.jpg (65 KB, 500x637) Image search: [Google]
kiss5.jpg
65 KB, 500x637
Film noir thread?
>>
>>63026827
Who /MalteseFalcon/ here?

Also, what are some good neo-noir films like Blade Runner?
>>
>>63026884
Croupier
Brick
Chinatown
You could maybe consider Mulholland Drive Noirish
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Blood simple is meant to be good, but I haven't seen it.
>>
>>63026884
Maltese Falcon is great, classic piece of masterpiece cinema
>>
>>63027231
Thanks, m8
>>
>>63026884
Chinatown, Miller's Crossing and Inherent Vice are my favorites.
>>
>>63027231
Part of Lynch's style was to take the tropes of Film Noir and rearrange them as if they were occurring in a dream.

Personally I think Blue Velvet is his most noir-ish (and his best movie).
>>
Touch of Evil is GOAT

The Third Man is fucking baller

Double Indemnity is the shit
>>
Was James Garner's Marlowe noir?
I really liked it.
>>
>>63027369
Double Indemnity is not my favorite noir but is the best one I've seen.
>>
>>63027497
Neo-noir; nothing post-50s is actual noir.

I liked Garner as Marlowe, though. Not as good as Bogie or Elliot Gould, but better than Dick Powell.
>>
>>63027569
>Neo-noir
Good enough.
IMO Garner's Marlowe is the best Marlowe. When reading Chandler I always picture M as Garner. His the perfect blend of handsome and smug.
>>
>>63027369
Wow. Never heard of these films before.
>>
The Third Man's tilted camera angles and use of shadows is GOAT
>>
>>63027369
this, also Ace in the Hole is great as well.
>>
Ascenseur pour l'échafaud
score by Miles Davis too
>>
is gun crazy good?
>>
Sweet Smell of Success is the best noir short of the OP. Probably the best dialogue ever written.
>>
>>63027730
>you're a cookie full of arsenic

that movie holds up so well, all the locations look amazing, indoors and out. the acting is great, everything.
>>
Only noir I've seen is The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep. Any other recommendations?
>>
>>63027369
I love those directors, but can't get behind any of your statements. Double Indemnity is the weakest of the Wilder hits I have seen.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.