[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Man in the High Castle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9
Can we agree that the lead characters were terrible, but the supporting characters were GOAT?
>>
The entire thing is a solid 'not good'.
>>
File: 112315.jpg (165 KB, 640x479) Image search: [Google]
112315.jpg
165 KB, 640x479
The marketing for this show triggered me.
>>
>>62999962
The only thing /tv/ can agree on is that it's really fun to say "obergruppenfuhrer."

>>63000021
>they can't put swastikas on public transportation

Hmm.
>>
yes. i just want to watch a whole nazi cop show about based obergruppenführer smith taking out resistance fucking shits
>>
>>63000057

Iron Cross >>> Swastika anyway.
>>
>>63000021
Which side would you sit on /tv/?
>>
>>62999962
It's the best show Amazon has made so far. Which isn't saying much, but it's still decent.
>>
>>63000196

I'd get up, stand up stand up for my rights.
>>
>>62999962
So a few questions:
1. Is Hitler the Man in the High Castle? If not who is? In the book or show.

2. Whats the deal with the films?

3. Is there going to be a season 2? I kinda hope not since it'd probably really suck.
>>
>>63000509
are you retarded? this is explained several times, beginning with the first episode
>>
>>63000574
The pilot was like a year ago, but from what I remember, they never said who the man in the high castle was, at first its thought that he makes the films, later its revealed he collects them, all the US Nazis said is that he is dangerous, and Hitler literally lives in a high castle and collects the films the resistance collects to give to said man.
>>
>>63000509
In the book the Man is not Hitler, he's a guy who writes the book called The Grasshopper Lies Heavy. In the show the Man's identity is never revealed but it's hinted to be Hitler.
>>
>>63000782
i'm actually ok with this. the ending of the book where they meet the man in the high castle is some unsatisfying matrix architect tier nonsense
>>
>>62999962
Ikr. The whore Julie and her boyfriend were so annoying. The nazi spy was okay at first but he got really obnoxious later, mainly because he was so obsessed with that woman.

The ober-führer guy I really liked, he had charisma, grace and poise. Not gonna lie, I kinda wanted to bone him.
>>
>>63001261
>bone

that's not how you spell "be"
>>
>>63001302
Well. I wouldn't say no to wearing a sharply pressed SS uniform. Damn, those nazis knew how to dress elegantly. 60 years later their clothes are still in vogue.
>>
>>62999962
I don't even watch this show but I click on every thread to see this guy's face. Christ he's attractive.
>>
Obergruppenfuhrer Smith, Rudolph and Mr. Tagomi are the best.
Inspector Kido is great.
Joe and Frank are ok.
Heydrich is actually as scary as one would expect.
And somehow the show makes me actually root for Hitler
>>
Can't decide if the writers are geniuses or morons for crafting a plot thread that makes you want Hitler to not get assassinated.
>>
>>63001496
then you might wanna watch the show. protip: his face's in it a lot
>>
>>63001524
>And somehow the show makes me actually root for Hitler

that's the funniest thing about this show. they obviously want to portray it as a nightmare world, but everyone BUT the nazis is a dysfunctional asshole
>>
File: spurdo.jpg (22 KB, 400x395) Image search: [Google]
spurdo.jpg
22 KB, 400x395
>>63000241
>>
>>63002897
I thought that was the point. Smith says they've built a new and better world, and that's true for those who by fortune of birth are healthy and Aryan. The cost of the better world is felt by everyone else - the Jews, the blacks, the Slavs, the disabled, everyone that the Nazis tramped on to build their Aryan wonderland. You're supposed to look at this comfy and technologically advanced country and think about not what you see, but what you don't see. That's why Rudolph Wegener turned traitor, and its also why John Smith doesn't go sailing anymore.
>>
Why is saying "Obergruppenfuhrer" so fucking fun?
>>
Nobody actually bought an Amazon Prime sub to watch this, did they?
>>
>>63003344
Yeah, but at heart I don't really give a shit. I mean do you think anybody in the Taliban spent a lot of time contemplating the Buddhist statues they blew up or the infidels they beheaded, and how sad it is that all that shit has to be destroyed to create *their* perfect world?
>>
>>63004935

No. I reupped my Amazon prime jew master for the kike on a cross season.
>>
is obergruppenführer a meme rank?
>>
>>63004935
After I watched the show I did.
Anything to help this get a season 2, if they cancel it, I am cancelling the subscription as well.
>>
>>63004982
And I'm sure most of the citizens of the Greater Nazi Reich don't give a shit either. Otherwise the nation could not be as stable and prosperous as it is depicted.

Philip K Dick, when he wrote the original book, partly wanted to show that even in a world where the war went the other way, so much would still remain the same. We in real life are, for the most part, just as uncaring about those who have suffered in the building of our comfort zones as the fictional Nazi Americans.
>>
Why the fuck is everyone in this show so jealous?

>Oh shit you talked/hung out with someone of the different gender? HOLY SHIT LEMME ACT LIKE A RETARD YOU ARE SURELY CHEATING ON ME
>>
>>63005482
To be fair every time Joe and Juliana are within 500 miles of each other he clearly wants to buttfuck her right in the pussy
>>
File: 1448050688006.jpg (57 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
1448050688006.jpg
57 KB, 600x337
If this does get a second season you think they might make an effort to hire some fucking language and accent coaches?

Much of the Japanese used in the show is atrocious, and sounds atrocious, and is not infrequently just plain wrong. Tagomi and Kasoura are not Japanese names, and the Japanese never use the name of the Emperor let alone as the name of an airport.

The German is marginally better, though you can tell who the non-native speakers are. Rudolph Wegener's actor for example.

Fucking Heroes was able to get accent coaching for the Korean actor who played Hiro's friend so he could sound sufficiently Japanese.
>>
>>63005741
Probably not.
The only people bothered by this are weeaboos anyway.
>>
>writers try to make the resistance look based
>end up making them look like shit while creating a Nazi utopia

Also:

Obergruppenfuhrer Obergruppenfuhrer Obergruppenfuhrer Obergruppenfuhrer
>>
>>63001344
Nazi dress uniforms were Boss.

Hugo Boss to be exact.
>>
>>63000821
As far as I understood the book ending, through the use of the I Ching, the characters essentially realize they're living in the fictional universe of the book, but actually axis lost and things are as they are today.

obergruppenführer
>>
>>63005102
>is obergruppenführer a meme rank?

No. It was a real rank in the SS. It translates to Senior Group Leader and was the equivalent of a 3-Star General in the US army.

Only the Reichsfuhrer-SS, Heinrich Himmler, outranked an SS Obergruppenfuhrer.
>>
>>63007103
There was one more level before Himmler.
>>
ALTERNATE UNIVERSES IN THE BOOKS
>>
>>63006274
Nice job using spoiler tags to cover a meme joke while leaving an ACTUAL FUCKING SPOILER right out there.

I hope you get hit by a truck. A Nazi truck.
>>
File: 1446927162084.png (200 KB, 349x278) Image search: [Google]
1446927162084.png
200 KB, 349x278
>>63005741

Emperor is shown to be irrelevant. The empire is a military dictatorship. They use the emperor's name and image as part of their propaganda. It's not a question of an airport being named after him. It's all the airports. All of them.

Not every German officer need be from Germany. Rudolph could easily be from Scandinavia. The important thing in Nazi Germany is that the subject is white.

Tagomi is the name from the novel. And the Japanese they use is 100% correct, I don't know what you're on about.
>>
File: 1438854348241.jpg (129 KB, 683x811) Image search: [Google]
1438854348241.jpg
129 KB, 683x811
>>63006274

You did not understand the ending of the book.
>>
>>63007277
It is a spoiler for the book you mong.
On the show things are different, like Hitler being the man in the high castle, that isn't in the books either.
>>
>>63007336

It's not even a spoiler for the book. He got it wrong.
>>
>>63007277
The show is out for what? 4 days already, it is your fault you didn't watch it yet.
>>
>>63007201
I stand corrected.

What was the rank between Obergruppenfuhrer and Reichsfuhrer-SS?
>>
>>63007435
Oberst-Gruppenführer
The rank Heydrich had, in the show and real life.
>>
File: bob-marley.jpg (138 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
bob-marley.jpg
138 KB, 500x374
>>63000241
>>
>>63004982
I'm getting really cynical about these things ever since Black Lives Matter made #FuckParis trend on Twitter.
>>
>>63007317
>Emperor is shown to be irrelevant. The empire is a military dictatorship. They use the emperor's name and image as part of their propaganda.
But they wouldn't use the name "Hirohito". The Japanese never used the personal name of the Emperor so lightly. At best they would just refer to him as the Emperor, or His Imperial Majesty the Emperor, and posthumously with his era name (in this case, Emperor Showa). And they wouldn't use bloody katakana.

>It's not a question of an airport being named after him. It's all the airports. All of them.
Name me a single public structure in Japan that is named after a person. You'll be thinking for a long, long time.

>And the Japanese they use is 100% correct
So, just in the first couple of episodes alone, tell me why Juliana thanks a shopkeeper with どうもありがとう instead of ありがとうございます? Or why an Kido tells his men 行きましょう in the middle of a raid, a context in which it would be incredibly unfitting for him to be so polite and friendly? 行くぜっ! would make a hell of a lot more sense.
>>
>>63007724
yeah mate I'm sure you being cynical is a recent development.
>>
>>63008006
>But they wouldn't use the name "Hirohito". The Japanese never used the personal name of the Emperor so lightly. At best they would just refer to him as the Emperor, or His Imperial Majesty the Emperor, and posthumously with his era name (in this case, Emperor Showa). And they wouldn't use bloody katakana.
Nobody but weeabos care.
>Name me a single public structure in Japan that is named after a person. You'll be thinking for a long, long time.
I am not a weeabo so I wouldn't really know.
>tell me why Juliana thanks a shopkeeper with どうもありがとう instead of ありがとうございます? Or why an Kido tells his men 行きましょう in the middle of a raid, a context in which it would be incredibly unfitting for him to be so polite and friendly? 行くぜっ! would make a hell of a lot more sense.
Nigga, all these fucking squiggles look the same.

You have to understand nobody gives a fuck about this. Amazon is clearly not trying to get the Japanese audience.
They could have the japs speaking sushi origami arigato banzai for every line and it wouldn't break anyone's immersion except for weeabos.
>>
>>63008006
>tell me why Juliana thanks a shopkeeper with どうもありがとう instead of ありがとうございます

the autism is fucking real
>>
>>63008006
>why Juliana thanks a shopkeeper with kawaii desu desu senpai uguu instead of desu kawaii uguu senpai chan desu?
Fuck anon, I don't know. If this is your main issue with this fucking show, holy fuck. At least tell me you actually are Japanese so I don't have to feel sorry for you.
>>
>>63008104
>>63008156
>>63008240

half jap here, he may be a weeb, but he's fucking right
>>
Can somebody please explain to me the ending with the Trade Minister and the significance of the necklace?

I know I'm dumb but that didn't make any sense to me.
>>
>>63008339
Still doesn't means anyone cares anon.
>>
File: 890.jpg (172 KB, 800x820) Image search: [Google]
890.jpg
172 KB, 800x820
>>63008104

>1940s Jews suffer a great devastation.
>By chance, the Japanese call the this time period the Showa Era.
>>
>>63008054
It is. "Everybody hates everybody and would instantly kill each other if they could get away with it" is not a moral I grew up with, all I've ever known is that people should get past their differences and become friends.

A lot of retards like me earnestly supported the Iraq War because we were sure Iraq would become a peaceful and happy country as soon as they didn't have that mean old psycho oppressing them anymore.
>>
>>63008104
>>63008240
>>63008156
If the show's creators don't care enough to put the effort needed to construct the setting correctly, then that raises questions about how much they really cared about crafting the show as a serious work of art rather than as a low-effort money machine.

>At least tell me you actually are Japanese so I don't have to feel sorry for you.
I'm Chinese but I have cousins who are half Japanese and through family circumstances am not unfamiliar with Japan.
>>
>>63008363
the necklace has "wu" (like the other necklace Frank created) and it allows to travel to different timelines
>>
>>63008410
frenchfag here

The guy is 100% right and I care. It really bother me.
>>
>>63008610
oh yeah it reary botha me too. american pigs need to rearn better japanese. everyrone in my normar american shitty reary pissed about this
>>
>>63008449
>all I've ever known is that people should get past their differences and become friends
>>
>Childan is in this thread
>>
>>63008513

>Making a period piece
>a low-effort money machine

Pick one and only one, you fucking autist. the cost on location shots must be insane with all the goddamn detail work they have to do to make the shops look run down by decades of occupation.
>>
>>63008447
underrated post
>>
>>63008513
if the show butchered 3rd reich culture, the whiteys in here would be having a fit

they simply do not care because they're not asian
>>
Did the crown prince actually survive and now wants to nuke Germany because he got shot, or has he actually died/comatose and the military are covering it up?
>>
>>63009296
that's right. nobody cares about riceniggers :)

moving on
>>
Kido was GOAT.

Smith is meh, I guess what he is going to do with the kid might be interesting.

Frank is alright, the chick was meh like the undercover nazi.

Wonder what the hell the trade minister did at the end there.
>>
>>63004935
Are you too poor to afford amazon prime on the reg? Order literally anything you want to be shipped to you in 2 days, most items there are a good 10-50% cheaper than retail price. Some things almost 75% cheaper, a lot of things that aren't even in stores to begin with.

Prime videos are literally just icing
>>
Does the show or book explain where the timelines diverged? Was it a battle or something?
>>
>>63009698
The divergence was before the war, FDR was assassinated and followed by a succession of weak presidents who failed to follow through with the New Deal and were far more pro-isolationism than FDR. The result is that the Soviet Union and the United Kingdom didn't get the support they needed in Europe and fell, and Japan defeated the US in the Pacific and gained control of Asia and Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Japan and Germany attack the US, Washington gets nuked by Germany, the US surrenders.
>>
Juliana grew on me and I liked Frank the whole way through. Joe was meh. Of the supporting cast Smith and Kido were the only ones I liked.
>>
Juliana worst character. Her motivations do not match up with the lengths that she goes to for them.
Her life seems comfortable enough, she's not starving or suffering or being abused in some way that would make her so desperate to chase the films as some kind of ill-defined "way out".
If her life was absolute shit, and everyone she loves is dead or something, then yeah it would make kind of sense that she's willing to throw everything away to find a way out because she has nothing left to lose and death is preferable to her current circumstances. That's not the case.
Instead she's just caught up in some kind of self-important bullshit about "who would I be if my dad didn't die in the war?".
Then she doesn't learn at all from the part where three innocent people were exterminated because of her actions. This would have been the perfect time for her to take stock of how her obsession with the origin of the film has consequences beyond what she's prepared to deal with, but for circumstances to force her back into the game. But instead it seems like she just doesn't care who dies because of her, and she lies to Frank about her activities with psychopathic ease.
And then she can't even be consistent. She's desperate enough for answers that she's apparently prepared to risk torture and death to infiltrate the Nippon Building. The Resistance woman tells her that this is a job for someone with a deathwish and she assents. But then when it's implied to her that she may have to perform sexual favors to get what she needs, she turns around and runs away. This is not the action of someone who is driven to the kind of desperation that you'd expect when they're prepared to give up their life and the lives of others to get what they want. It's inconsistent.
>>
>>63011934
Why do you keep making the same post, you fucking autist?
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.