[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The first wave of Fox Ultra HD Blu-ray discs is scheduled
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: Hancock4K.jpg (82 KB, 650x600) Image search: [Google]
Hancock4K.jpg
82 KB, 650x600
>The first wave of Fox Ultra HD Blu-ray discs is scheduled to include: 'Kingsman: The Secret Service,' 'Exodus: Gods and Kings,' 'Fantastic Four,' 'X-Men: Days of Future Past,' 'Life of Pi,' 'The Maze Runner' and 'Wild.'
>SPHE will make The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Salt, Hancock, Chappie, Pineapple Express, and The Smurfs 2 its first 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray releases. The studio is also planning to follow up those titles with additional movies and even TV shows.

If they want 4k Blurays to be a success why are they starting off by releasing such shit films in 4K?
Fucking Smurfs?
>>
>>62999002

Hancock has a good first half..
>>
Maybe bring out films that give that old style cinema feel
Bring out classics and huge epics, not this shite.
>>
Because the first people who are going to buy them only care about showing off the state of the art technology they overpaid for.
>>
>>62999002
That's a terrible fucking cover
>>
Don't you want to see Fant4Kstic in fantastic 4K?
>>
>>62999082

Not even 4k people went to see it
>>
>>62999002
That cover is a huge fucking spoiler. It's also a shitty cover.
>>
Hey OP, guess what, none of them are 4K masters either, all 2K - upscaled
>>
Because the only people buying this shit are bleeding edge early adopters, and they're guarenteed sales no matter what.
>>
Image the new "Lawrence of Arabia" print in 4k.
>>
>>62999002
can i play new ultra hd blurays on the ps4?
>>
>>62999102
im 1 of 4k that want to see it, greg

can you milk me?
>>
>>63000323
No.
You will need a 4K Bluray player to play 4K blurays.
Perhaps sony will release an updated PS4, since UHD bluray players will be backward compatible.
>>
>>63000330

wat
>>
People really own 4k tvs? What a waste of money
>>
>>63000330

>Meet The Parents reference on /tv/ of all places
>>
>>63000436
Mine was half price
>>
File: 1446644387418.jpg (73 KB, 936x812) Image search: [Google]
1446644387418.jpg
73 KB, 936x812
>>63000330
>>
>>62999002
At least release some popular films like Alien or Blade Runner. Nobody likes Hancock
>>
>>63000609
I liked Hancock
>>
>>62999032
That's what *she* said.
>>
>>63000186
The Hancock theatrical release and BD were hyped as being scanned in 4K, which is likely also the reason it is a first wave 4K BD release .
>>
>>62999002
>ULTRA HD
What the hell are they gonna call 6K and 8K?

>6K MEGA ULTRA HYPER HD
>EXTREME DEFINITION 8K, THAT'S LIKE 4320p BUT WE CHANGED THE STANDARD NAMING FOR NO REASON
>>
Doesn't the cover completely spoil the only twist in the movie?
>>
>>63000806
The best part is the people they're trying to engage with by using these idiotic terms don't care about resolution, they don't even know what it means. All they care about is the size of the screen while watching their handegg game.
>>
>>63000802
CGI is stuck at 2K though, that will be definitely upscaled
>>
>>62999002
Transformers.Age.of.Extinction.2014.4K.4GB.x264.DTS.4IFY
>>
>>63001310
Spot on. If you sold a 1080p screen that was a few inches bigger and marketed it as "Super HD" only about 1% of customers would tell the difference.
>>
>>63001325
>Not downloading 500MB 8K rips
Resolution is all that counts, bro
>>
>>63000375
>you need a new bluray player for this
into the trash it goes

I thought this was like the dvd superbit
>>
Has Criterion said anything about 4K?
>>
>>63001350
100% of the customers would spot the massive difference in price between the 1080p screen and the 2k/4k screen, though, and choose the larger, cheaper screen.

I mean shit, these are the people who bought projection TVs because bigger is better.
>>
>>62999002

This shit is never going anywhere like 3D flopped.

TV manufacturers are so fucking desperate to get back that rush when everyone bought HD.

TVs released in B&W, they go for a while.

TVs in color, it lasts for fucking ever.

Suddenly HD, there is a huge rush because it does look better and the TVs take up less space.

3D comes out and everyone literally vomits and it bombs.

Ultra HD comes out, its marginally better than HD at 10x the price, it will flop too.
>>
>>63001465
>TV manufacturers are so fucking desperate to get back that rush when everyone bought HD.

What was selling out the ass were flat panel televisions and not necessarily HD panels. Tons of people actually bought SD panels because they couldn't tell the difference, and they were cheap.
>>
>>63000806
4K to 8K to 16K VR
>>
>>63001588

Yes.

The flat TVs sold because of the space and power savings more than image quality.

Its sort of like why DVD won over VHS and CD over Cassette.

Its less about quality and more about convenience. CDs let you easily skip tracks and DVDs are smaller and have chapters and extras that are more easily accessed.

Meanwhile HDDVD and even Blu Ray do mediocre. Blu Ray only really became more popular when it stopped being fucking expensive. It offers no real convenience over DVD.

Hell of my Jurassic World BD is any indications its actually worse than the DVD would be since the menus are littered with ads that can update over time. Its fucking disgusting TB H
>>
>>63001465
>This shit is never going anywhere

I think 4k sets will just become the normal default option in a few more tv model years. Same way 120hz refresh rates and "smart tv" options use to command a higher price point.

and now even the cheaper sort of sets have all those options too.
>>
>>63001694
>the menus are littered with ads that can update over time
How the fuck
>>
This is why I stick to media files on a PC.

Vhs to dvd - don't mind re buying collection for significant quality increase.

Dvd to bluray or hddvd - wtf gotta upgrade my library again?!

Oh 3D blurays are a thing now, fuck that shit.

> 4k Ultra DVD

GTFO

> downloads media file in 1080p and runs through Plex.
>>
File: apple.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
apple.gif
2 MB, 320x180
>>62999049
this
you think the tools that spend thousands of dollars on stupid shit like a 4k TV have any taste?
yeah, big HUMMER SUVs are classy
>>
>>63001740
If you make the mistake of connecting your televsion or bluray player to the internet, they'll download ads.
>>
>>63001740

Its true.

After watching the movie, we went to watch the extras.

Where you would expect to see a helpful description of each item in the extras, instead there was a box that changed every 10 seconds or so promoting another movie to buy.

I was severely tempted to take the disc back and tell the store I wanted a refund over it but I know store return policies on movies are bull shit.

Its insulting enough when they tack trailers on the front of a movie you bought. I understand for rentals but I paid for this shit. Put that in a menu, don't make me sit through a trailer that will be outdated in a month.

Its part of why I barely buy movies anymore and why I hate watching TV. I am so fucking sick of constantly being sold something.
>>
>>63001884
>>63001740

Oh right, I forgot the worst offender.

One of the extras was titled "Jurassic World's Closest Shaves brought to you by Barbasol".

That was more insulting than the stupid ads in the corner...
>>
>>63001765
> Apple has 350MM devices in use world wide
> Google has 2.1 BILLION clones in use around the world.

> Thinks Android users are unique wittle snowflakes
>>
>>63001884
>>63001913
Jesus shit I didn't realise it had become that much worse since DVDs
>>
>>63001937
To be fair, it is the difference between 350 million devices sold at $500-$1500 and 2.1 billion devices that are sold, on average, for about $5.
>>
life of pi was visually fucking spectacular desu m8, it's a prime fucking candidate for this
>>
>>63002061
None of the CGI (read: the entire movie) was rendered at a higher resolution that 2k.
>>
>>63001937
A lot of them aren't google's, they're android forks that doesn't have google software on them.
>>
A lot of them are 2.8 filmed movies with intermediates stuck in 2k (CGI and all)

Most movies post 2000 used a digital intermediate. It's going to be a pain to find any of the more recent hits in 4k. (that aren't upscales)
>>
>>63001937
>people flock to apple to violently throw money at them

>people buy non-droid because it happens to be there and cheap

Its not about being unique, its about not being a sheep.
>>
>>63002297
>people buy non-droid because it happens to be there and shit
>>
>>63002314
99% of people who buy phones only care about calling and texting. Apple customers pay thousands of dollars for that.
>>
We'll see how it does. 3D was supposed to be the next big thing, but damn it's been dropped like a bad habit by the studios. (Post converted stuff you see in most movies today is there only to sell the 3D extra surcharge)

4k is coming across as a desperate move.
>>
At least they are going to be including a normal bluray with the 4k disc.

I'm much more willing to buy a 4k movie that comes in a combo pack to future proof.
>>
>>63002467
considering these are 2k upscales...
>>
from 3D conversion in post to 2K upscales
mmmm great progress
>>
>>63002495
Yeah, I'll avoid stuff that is obviously an upscale.

There are a few full 4k workflow productions out there. Those should look amazing.
>>
>>63002586
Everything in 4k, for the foreseeable future, with any CGI, will be an upscale.

So that leaves you with what... kpop?
>>
>>63002681
Pretty sure than there have been a handful of full 4k productions. Those will be worthwhile. + stuff that already has a 4k master out there like Lawrence of Arabia.
>>
>>63002743
Not to start any bullshit about Lawrence of arabia, but every time I see it in higher resolution, the shitty bits (rubber noses, actors in browface, shoddy setwork, bad closeups) just stand out more.
>>
>>63002681
SHOW ME THE 4K KPOP
>>
>>63001465
You are a moron and a retarded human being.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.