[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
just finished this, was pretty good. i do have some questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Synedoche.jpg (1 MB, 936x1325) Image search: [Google]
Synedoche.jpg
1 MB, 936x1325
just finished this, was pretty good. i do have some questions though

>at what point does he stop leaving the warehouse?
>was his daughter being bullshitted by her mother, or was she the only one that was telling the truth?
>why did he get the old woman to play ellen when he never saw ellen in real life?
>>
>>62998044
My guess is around the time he's got actors playing the actors playing the actors.

Whatever was actually going on was besides the point. The movie's about Caden's subjective viewpoint, and in that viewpoint he can't truly know what's going on with his family.

He did see Ellen in real life. He is Ellen.
>>
>>62998124
yeah I'm retarded, I just realized that he got the key from the neighbour and that there never was a real ellen (or at least she never showed up), but why didn't he get sammy to play that? why did he need to pretend to hazel and the others that there was an old woman who cleaned adele's apartment?
>>
oh yeah, another question

what was the point of the play to him? was it a play about death or dating?
>>
>>62998492
he tried to portray his subjective experience of life in new york in a more objective way to create something that was real not just to him but the audience and the actors. it's not just about "death" or "dating" but the existential despair induced by life itself and everything it encompasses.
>>
You should check out the YouTube channel Your Movie Sucks and watch his 4 parts on the Genius of Synecdoche. Unfortunately he hasn't finished going through the movie yet but it's a really in depth analysis and his thoughts on it are great. Even though he's a raging fur fag.

Also check out the rest of what Kaufman has done, his new movie coming out is apparently pretty good too so I'm excited for it
>>
>>62998044
You're not meant to know any of that. It's a bunch of obscurantism.
>>
>>62998044
Nothing relevant indeed, the film doesnt require any further thought beyond what is learned at high school.
>>
asdasdasd
>>
>>62999481
so are you saying that there are no real "objective" moments in the movie? so like what >>62999389
says, both the actual movie and the play within it are meant to be a painting of a shitty life in new york, or something else? this movie seems pretty open to interpretation, so I'm interested to see what other people think of it

>>62999401
thanks, I'll take a look at the youtube videos. i've already seen eternal sunshine, so I'll try and see the others before his new one comes out
>>
>intentionally making incoherent shit
>it's ART!!!
>>
>>62999481
>>62999581
Is there anything wrong with obscurantism in art? In an interview Kaufman says he doesn't want to explain what the film means because to him it's different than what it could mean to someone else, and by him giving his explanation it could influence how someone else may perceive it. And i agree, it's like playing a video game with a walk through. You aren't getting the full experience if someone holds your hand and explains it to you.
>>
>>62998044
It's like an abstract painting or piece of music where each of us will take from it what we will but our individual reality streams will make it unique to all of us rendering our innate ant-like subservience obsolete and helping us rise up and quench the blazing fires of totalitarianism
>>
>>62999581
Wrong, it is actually straight forward,and just convuluted enough to deceive people of the >>62999630 sort into believing there's something deeper beyond the thin surface, and that's the joke. The film is a prank on the pretend IMDb moviebuff.
>>
>>62999672
well I doubt it can be entirely straightforward, there are some things that are literally impossible (other than the obvious 30 year play plus city-in-a-city)
>>
>>62998044
He saw Ellen in the painting by Adele

Connected to your question about Olive, she attacks Aden for leaving them to be with his "homosexual lover Eric"

Eric is the name of Ellen's husband, interestingly enough.
>>
>>62998185
>>62998492
It's fucking awesome that you watched this movie and are now asking questions about it, but there's quite a lot to take in on your first watch.

I'd recommend watching the YMS reviews of Synecdoche (that he's competed so far) and the watching it again and seeing what new ideas you come up with
>>
>>62999708
But there's nothing abstract. It's about a guy's depressed life, he lives his life seeking for a greater purpose that for him doesn't exist because he simply cant see things beyond the surface. Then he proceeds to build up an entire imaginary world to make up for his inability of understanding real life. This is a logical and analysis of the character in Synedoche New York and as you see the film is rather simple, convoluted only to trick the lesser viewer.
>>
>>62999877
Maybe learn tp type in English before analysing films in English
>>
>>62999759
I think that Maria just lied to Olive because she's a bitch, and then when Caden created the persona of Ellen he just substituted things from his life into her story, and that was one of the things he remembered.
>>62999877
nah he's pretty obviously going a bit nuts even before he starts his play
>Caden: Wow. Written by a four year old.
>Madeleine: Well, Azpiazu killed himself when he was five.
>Caden: Why did he kill himself?
>Madeleine: I don’t know, why did you?
>Caden: What?
>Madeleine: I said, ‘Why would you?’
and the fact that he reads his "daughters" diary while she's living in Germany. also there's the way he can't connect to anyone during sex, and the fact that his play lasts 30 years off of a single grant.
at the very least, even if the story isn't convoluted his personality is totally fucked and we can't trust anything we see him do as being objective fact, which to me seems to be why he desperately tries to make a "true story" through the play
>>62999800
yeah I might watch it again soon, it'll probably be better now that I know that ellen isn't a real person (or at least doesn't show up)
>>
>>62999917
Haha. What you didn't understand? I can write clearer if my argument is difficult for you.
>>
File: nBa5X8T.png (1 MB, 2336x1248) Image search: [Google]
nBa5X8T.png
1 MB, 2336x1248
>>62999877
>proceeds to build up an entire imaginary world to make up for his inability of understanding real life.

Woah, can you draw conclusions, or similiar to me? Other than diagnosis me with autism?

>Tried to be a normie
>Diagnosed with autism (still not a virgin tho :) )
>Don't have a part in society nor seeks it
>Play a videogame called Terraria, where I have 3500 characters thats played on "hardcore" aka one life, then die
>More than 3 notepads with information written, hierchy, society etc
>More than 200 .txt documents, all from police reports, to "bank accounts"
>Whole map filled with different cities that operate on different politics, where I can play as a wageslave miner, or ceo of mining company, italian gangsters, smuggler, kings, presidents, voting system, and living economy which is now beyond my control and has a life of its own

I'm about 4-5 years into this and getting a supercomputer for the exact purpose of maximum immersion

>inb4 autism
>>
>>63000040
why would a super computer help you play terraria? or do you mean to help immerse yourself in the idea of running a whole living world in your computer (which I guess you would need a super computer to do)
>>
>>63000074
I can only play with 10 characters at each giving time.

Warfare is horrible to conduct, and robberies too.

I wish to have atleast 50 or 100 characters on the server at all times for maximum realism. Witnesses and people going on about their daily business is a must.
>>
>>63000155
ah, ok. that makes sense, but isn't it hard playing as multiple people at once?
>>
>>63000155
Wait a second is this satire

You've seen Synecdoche, New York right

Was Caden autistic?
>>
>>63000238
Sorry, I only watched half of syn when I was high and don't remember anything other than it being depressive and boring.

The reason I posted in this thread is because someone said

>Then he proceeds to build up an entire imaginary world to make up for his inability of understanding real life

Which resonated with me so much. Truth is, I learned more about the world doing this, and how things work, especially hierchies and powerstructures.

Also learned the enormous benefits of banking, regardless of what pol says about jews.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.